Shooting on federal land

Excuse my ignorance but is there anything I need to know about shooting guns on federal land?

It looks like in general the green land on google maps is federal. So can I just drive on those forest access roads, and then walk to a place that is not next to road?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 2.02.02 PM.png (672x582, 221K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fs.fed.us/visit/know-before-you-go/shooting
google.com/maps/place/Garcia, WA 98045/@47.4237176,-121.631078,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x5490810d895c973d:0x4bde22288ac35529!8m2!3d47.4237322!4d-121.6223431
fs.usda.gov/activity/mbs/recreation/hunting
fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/about-forest/offices/?cid=fsbdev7_001660
fs.usda.gov/okawen/
openstreetmap.org/#map=14/47.4294/-121.6660
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You are looking for BLM wilderness (no not black lives matter)

lol, thanks. I found a PDF with green part listed as: Forest Service / Wilderness. Looks like that matches what google has.

You can't just go shooting on any Federal land.

There are multiple Federal agencies that manage land. Each has different rules. BLM land is most permissive. National Parks and Wilderness are the least (not shooting at all).

Even when looking at a large tract of BLM land where shooting is permitted, there are specific areas where shooting is preferred, due to more suitable terrain, and few competing uses. You don't want to negligently shoot some hikers.

Your best bet is to go to a BLM office, and ask them where they'd recommend you go shoot. They'll give you a map, label some spots on it, and tell you about anything else you need to know.

wait there is another color for: "Bureau of Land Management" which I barely see any land for. The mountain range is under the "Forest Service / Wilderness"

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 2.12.08 PM.png (282x288, 57K)

He's not looking for Wilderness.

National Forest land is cool to shoot on. They usually make you follow local (state) laws though.

>National Parks and Wilderness are the least (not shooting at all).

Most lands that you have stated have designated shooting ranges.

I'm unaware of any shooting ranges inside National Parks. Please tell me more. Shooting is wholly incomparable with Wilderness, which must remain untrammeled by man.

Just don't be stupid. Don't shoot at trees. Pick up your trash.

Ok so still a little confused. Looks like the place I wanted to go (Washington state cascades Forest Service / Wilderness) is not owned by the BLM.

But it is still federal land so shooting is allowed? Don't want to get yelled at by anyone. Tried calling BLM with no luck.

don't litter, don't shoot trees, and don't shoot critters unless you're legally hunting.

follow these simple steps and you will never be fucked by the long dick of the law

Found this: fs.fed.us/visit/know-before-you-go/shooting

I'm guessing this applies to the land In the cascades.

Congratulations OP!
You're starting to learn about the tomfuckery of government bureaucracy.

This. Also, have a known backstop. The last thing we need is a dead hiker because someone wasn't aware of what was behind their target.

>Washington state cascades Forest Service / Wilderness
That's not the name of anything.

Would you just post some coords so someone else can look it up for you?

This place:
google.com/maps/place/Garcia, WA 98045/@47.4237176,-121.631078,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x5490810d895c973d:0x4bde22288ac35529!8m2!3d47.4237322!4d-121.6223431

Maybe a little further out into the forest though.

That's Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. The area south of I-90 is the Snoqualmie Ranger District.

Shooting is generally permissible on National Forest land.
fs.usda.gov/activity/mbs/recreation/hunting

This is the location of the ranger station, which you should visit first.
fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/about-forest/offices/?cid=fsbdev7_001660

Note that there's a bunch of land designated Conservation and Wilderness north of I-90. No shooting there.

Oh, and if you go over the pass, you cross into Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest. It begins right after where the exit for Mt. Hyak ski area is.

fs.usda.gov/okawen/

Also, OSM works a lot better than Google Maps when you're trying to look for boundaries between different Federal lands.

openstreetmap.org/#map=14/47.4294/-121.6660

thanks for the info, seems really complicated to find a place. I will contact that ranger station and check with them, hoping I am able to shoot close to I-90 for easy access.

Yeah: Park Rangers are usually in pretty good shape and have radios, so make sure to magdump center-mass on first contact before exfiltrating back to non-Federal lands in the event that you are discovered illegally discharging your God-given firearm on land which you own by extension of your tax dollars.

You can shoot on public lands, i do it all the time

This

They get really excited when you do it too, running around shouting and waving they're hands in the air

fs.fed.us/visit/know-before-you-go/shooting

Oh, I always thought people meant black lives matter. Was really confused but figured I just missed a meme or something

>National Parks and Wilderness are the least (not shooting at all)
Which is arbitrarily enforced, here in Western WA it's very rarely enforced cause in a lot of areas shooting spots are very few and far inbetween

Anyone here from Texas know of any land to shoot on remotely near Austin/San Antonio? I'm well aware that the one bad thing about Texas is out lack of BLM land - has anyone found a spot to shoot at? Tired of RSO's getting on my case for "rapid fire" and would like to be able to set up a shooting course somewhere

I contacted the ranger station people and they told me of a few places that are quite far. I see there is a map with no shooting areas but it looks like it is just some specific places.

I don’t see why I couldn’t just go deeper in the woods, as long as it isnt in the restricted zone, I’m guessing it is not that large. Maybe the issue is getting access to deeper areas? Either way seemed like they didn’t want me shooting nearby...

Wilderness areas can have varying degrees to rules. Being untrammeled by man is in regards to where you can camp, whether or not you can used wheeled objects and whether or not you can build a firepit. As far as I know hunting is ok when its in season, its just usually a harder time getting to those areas and of course packing everything out. If other anons know better please correct me on it.

>(37.765597, -91.838212)
Is a good piece of federal property to shoot in Central-South Missouri

>mfw I've never lived more than 10 minutes from a blm range

Attached: 136399037265.jpg (230x200, 7K)

No alcohol? Didn't know that was a law. Not that I get drunk while shooting, but it's nice to have a beer or two up in the woods. This says you cant even be in possession of alcohol while shooting

why don't we shoot at trees? I wanted to see if I could chop one down with bullets

Because you're killing the trees and ruining the environment with your lead directly infecting the tree. It's fine if you shoot trees designated for chopping since it's going to be chopped anyways.

so we like trees here?

Yes, I love trees

what the fuck do you have against trees? unless you've planted it yourself don't fuck around with nature, dipshit. is it really that hard to play nice and keep our shared wilderness better than when you left it?

People like you are the reason why we are having more and more restrictions when it comes to shooting off of the range and in the open. They specifically target tree killers and fire starters and people who leave trash after they go shooting inna woods or desert. The less we can do as a collective to not fuck the wild up the better.

ok then I'll be good to them. I used to hate birds myself; never saw the appeal to them, thought they were arrogant because they spent so much time in the air looking down on people but in my old age I'm beginning to appreciate them and am thinking about getting feeders to spend more time with the little dudes. Maybe one day I'll like trees so I'll spare them, thanks white brothers 14/88 and all the best to you and your families

Attached: Martin-Riggs-Lethal-Weapon-Mel-Gibson-a.jpg (500x563, 50K)

>looking down on people
Lol