Iron sights

How iron sight?

Seems rear sight moved forward would be more accurate. How do you know what is right?
Is it right if it feels right?
>pic related

Attached: IMG_3278.jpg (3831x1852, 1.15M)

Other urls found in this thread:

m14forum.com/accuracy/102549-eye-relief-iron-sights.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you look at rifles with fixed irons and look at their location in relation to the receiver you should get a rough estimate of where yours should go.

I set mine up, like so. I did it because I like to meme in real life, I originally saw the irons like this on lr300s and I heard that old 3 gunners used to do it for fast acquisition. Plus I like cowitnessing through the optic

Attached: IMG_20180328_201526.jpg (4160x3120, 3.64M)

This is the only answer.

It's interesting. So this is my sight picture as in op.

Attached: IMG_3280.jpg (1351x1819, 253K)

And if I move it closer to eye, never mind crooked photo, there's more room around front post, feels harder to align?

Attached: IMG_3281.jpg (1727x2000, 344K)

Does your sight not have a little flip up/down extra aperture? You'll notice in my pic, the rear sight peep is down because I like the larger sight hole by default

Thank you, my marine body says its stupid

the greater the distance between your rear sight and front sight is (sight radius) the more accurate you will be.

Your gun looks retarded.

Yeah I've never seen anyone put the rear that far forward but I like it. I'll try it both way tomorrow and post targets here I guess.
My handgun looks cool though.

Longer radius=more precise
Shorter radius=faster acquisition
all depends on how you plan to shoot and your preference

What brand sight are those anyway

Daniel Defense
They were pretty quick to recant their stupid statements but I also wanted fixed irons and they're all I saw.

this is bait, right?

he eats crayons, dont listen to marines

Attached: muhrinemre.jpg (806x908, 174K)

no?

Attached: muhrinelife.png (806x908, 464K)

>Shorter radius=faster acquisition
So I should space them like a rail space apart?

your flip up sights are backwards...

Attached: retard.png (645x614, 83K)

not him
Yes you stupid fuck it is satire all o 4chinz hax r satire

Attached: respectforfallen.jpg (800x369, 74K)

>haha jokes on u, i was only pretending to be retarded!!

only that tile

>skeet shooting, cover sight with barrel, most error, fastest acquisition
>shot, cover spread with barrel using bead to register movement
>slughunting aim with bead
the less parallax between sights, the faster the time you pull the trigger in the general direction the gun is pointing.
the more accurately the direction you want that to be, the more parallax you create between sights to ensure colinearity with the boreline
the more accurately you want to model ballistics, you zero a scope colinear with the boreline's resultant elevation with a given cartridge and apply ballistic correction

pick something that fits your shooting, user. it makes more sense for your red dot to be between your iron sights in my opinion, because you will find out your optic has failed WHEN you go to shoot and you have to fumble around your optic trying to lift your iron
desu i prefer offset irons and canted practice but you're all faggots

So, there's no defined distance or proper eye relief for irons.

Attached: muhrineqwuakbar.png (806x908, 621K)

you just want my may mays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
longest besties

Attached: 1486258913269.jpg (480x347, 27K)

longer sight radius = easier to aim accurately.
just google something like sight radius accuracy, you'll get plenty of articles about it.

Damn it people, obviously sight radius is a thing but I'm asking about eye distance to rear sight specifically. Give me a couple, I'll draw a picture.

literally just as far as back as it goes.

Okay, here is what I'm getting at, asking or suggesting...

That the farther your eye is from the rear sight, the narrower your field of view is through the sight. The less space the front sight has to float around in. Therefore the more noticeable it will be if it's off center a little bit.

Unironically prove me wrong.

Attached: eye distance to rear sight.png (896x898, 23K)

google: iron sight eye relief

m14forum.com/accuracy/102549-eye-relief-iron-sights.html
>The farther your eye is from the rear sight, the smaller the apparent aperature, and the tighter the field of view through it. The result is that the small aperature gives much less opportunity for misalignment between the front and rear sights, increasing your sight picture's accuracy. Note that I didn't say YOUR accuracy. It is still up to the shooter to put the front sight on the point of impact, and to have the rifle zeroed to that POI at that given distance to the target.

>Being closer to the rear sight, conversely, gives a larger aperature, and thus a greater opportunity to have the front sight slightly off-center in the sight picture.

>Find what works for your best, and practice, practice, and practice some more.

So the opposite of what
are suggesting?

You're a fucking idiot.
>What is sight radius

not the opposite, really. Just a different topic of discussion.
It also depends a lot on the rear sight you're using.
Do you have a big ass ghost ring?
or do you have a tiny pinhole aperture sight?
They have different uses. a big ass ghost ring will give you faster target acquisition, a tiny peep hole will give you more accuracy.

If I'm right handed but have a dominant left eye should I be shooting left or right handed?

It has 2 rings, huge and tiny.
I moved it back 2 slots, think this will be the spot.

There are the 2 sight pictures I'm getting right now...

Attached: Untitled.png (604x394, 5K)

...with this arrangement.

Attached: IMG_3282.jpg (3642x2407, 972K)

JUST MOVE THE SIGHT BACK YOU FRUITCAKE
YOU'RE FUCKING WRONG

whichever you prefer.
squint/close your good eye so you can aim with your shit eye, train past it to focus with your right eye, or shoot left handed. just know most guns weren't designed for left handed people.

do whatever the fuck you want, just keep it consistent.
You want your sight picture to be as consistent as possible.

Damn you stupid fuck.
>put the rear sight as far as it will go to the rear
>put the front sight as far forward as it will go or as far forward as it will go folded
>sight it in for whatever zero you wish
Congratulations, you now have learned how to shoot with iron sights.

Attached: 1514394581435.gif (500x490, 971K)

What's the best way to fold the sight?

Did they put the sights on backwards, too, or is that your refinement?

backwards.

This is an old pic of my gun but before I just ditched the iron sights completely I had moved the rear sight up quite a bit.

On these little scrunched up pistols I found that the rear aperture completely swallows up the front post. So yes, I agree that the rear sight should be moved up quite a bit.

Attached: P1050494.jpg (2296x1724, 253K)

And for what it's worth, this is how Hickok runs his AR pistols.

Attached: 2018-03-28.png (1648x1048, 2.23M)

Thank you person man.
Here is a picture to reward you.

Attached: stupid little girl and her stupid knife.jpg (700x579, 270K)

Hey user, K so i experience the same shit as you except i did the opposite, moved the front sight, closer to the rear. I understand what youre talking about with the sight picture. I have DD iron sights too. So on my 14.5 inch, to make it look right, I practically placed the front sight over where the midlength gas block was located. But, thats with the stock fully extended. With a pistol stock, it would end up just looking like yours because my cheek would be to far forward. I have an actual sp1 with A1 sights, and the sight picture is correct. I believe the apeture on rear sights today are drilled too large, which is why we have this issue. On my old ass m1 garand, and m1a, the sight picture is perfect as well, with the front sight post fitting perfectly in the ring of the apeture. I no longer use iron sights anymore because it kept bothering me that to make my aimpoint cowitness, i had to move the red dot super far back, rear of the ejection port, in order to line shit up.

One more thing to note. There is also a tradeoff of sorts going on here and it varies from different makes of sights. Moving the rear sight up slightly might give me better pinpoint accuracy at the cost of target acquisition speed.

I've handled competition rimfire guns with a rear aperture that's little more than a pinprick. This lets the shooter keep the aperture very close to the eye to maximize whatever advantage there is to be gained from the increased sight radius but I've noticed there is an amazing benefit to using these competition sights in that both the front post and the target are simultaneously in focus. It's due to the exact same mechanism that makes photos shot with the lens aperture wide open have more bokeh. If you're nearsighted you can test this yourself by taking off your glasses and looking through a very small hole through a clenched fist. You'll find that whatever's on the other side is a lot sharper and in focus.

Anyways, yeah. Your setup looks good and that's about where I'd keep sights the sights on a very compact rifle. Sight radius isn't everything.

Thanks man. Before this thread, I wasn't able to articulate it. It being the balance between eye relief (read effectively as perceived aperture size) and sight radius.
People are calling me stupid and screaming "sight radius!" but at a point, you're effectively making your aperture appear so big that the possibility of error from that dwarfs the relatively small gain in sight radius as the rear sight gets closer and closer to your eye. I'm sure there is an optimum balance somewhere depending on the sights and rail length which would make it gun specific.

Thanks again to the people actually considering the question.

Attached: IMG_3216.jpg (818x960, 115K)

Speaking about iron sights. Who makes Mp5 style sights for ARs?

>I'm sure there is an optimum balance somewhere
it depends on your rear sight, the purpose of the gun, and personal preference.

My boyfriend has a short 300aac like that, it has a thordsen on it and the lop is too short putting the eye too close for a standard rear sight position.

>its gay
>It works

MP5 style as in just the post-in-circle front sight or do you mean the diopter rear sights too?
Pretty sure Centurion does a full set of front + diopter, while Troy and Aero and maybe a couple others do sets with HK style fronts.

Attached: aprh100703-flip-up-sights-1.jpg (546x342, 24K)

We live in an age where I have no idea what your gender is based on that post.
They're putting chemicals in the water that are turning the freaking frogs gay.

Attached: IMG_3201.jpg (768x1024, 154K)

male frogs are better at giving blowjobs desu

Both. I've used Google, checked out several websites like midway and shit like that. Always sold out with back orders.

Dude. They're mbus. Please take a moment to think. Then just be enlightened and remember, you typed that and everyone read it

Holy fuck, this thread is gay, everyone here is fucking ridiculous and YOU'RE the biggest retard in sight

Attached: 1512071281096.jpg (540x807, 138K)

True HK-style have a completely fixed front sight with windage and elevation adjustments on the rear only.

I couldn't find any reputable place I trusted to order from that had them in stock either. The Daniel Defense seem nice though.

Attached: IMG_3074.jpg (373x529, 131K)

What the hell is that picture user

Attached: 1521071467861.png (425x533, 270K)

move it as high as possible to make it more powerful, duh, are you not familiar with Sub-saharan negro tactics, good sire?

That stupid little girl couldn't the knife thing and now her grandmother is both shocked and disgusted with her, as is the rest of her family. They're not sure what they've going to do with her.

Attached: 1500736833476.gif (300x200, 454K)

>didn't read the thread.

Attached: 1500736563662.gif (250x141, 271K)

Thank you

Attached: 1501476719037.gif (300x223, 600K)

You want the front and rear sights as far from eachother as possible. Increased sight radius makes more precise shooting easier.

As does a smaller ring on the rear. Moving the rear sight forward a couple inches has a more drastic affect on effective ring size than it does on sight radius. So far, there's only been like 3 anons who seem to get that.

Attached: you tried.webm (600x450, 2.17M)

Yeah, that too if your irons have the smaller ring. It makes a big difference and I never use the large.
Even with an ak, if you miniturized the rear sights and from sights, you'd simulate a longer sight radius without moving them.

see the pattern op?

Attached: 77932952.jpg (1196x876, 125K)