Thoughts on Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39? It seems like from whatever data I can find, 7...

Thoughts on Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39? It seems like from whatever data I can find, 7.62x39 stops gaining much velocity past 16 inches, so the Ruger's barrel length is fine. I'm looking for something in 7.62x39 but don't like the look of the AK platform, and SKS's are too expensive for what they are (used surplus rifles). The CZ 527 also comes in 7.62x39 but from what I can tell on gun.deals, is about $100 more than the Ruger.

So should I get the Ruger over the CZ, or should I put in a extra $100 for the CZ? I like the wood and extra barrel length (makes the rifles look more proportional) but the Ruger is cheaper, synthetic (will require less care than wood), and you can use Mini 30 mags with it while the CZ seems to only come with 5 round mags. Plus with the Ruger I could put a suppressor on (planning on getting a suppressor for my 300 blackout AR pistol) while the CZ doesn't come with a threaded barrel.

I mostly want a rifle in 7.62x39 because I like to have at least 1 thing in the common calibers. Planning on shooting whatever cheap ammo I can get my hands on, which'll likely be steel cased. Is the CZ designed more with steel cased in mind, or does it not matter?

Attached: 1.jpg (825x159, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american/
doveguns.com/product-page/ruger-american-peep-sights
shop.whittakerguns.com/product/7775564
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have the Ruger American Ranch in 300blk and it isn't a bad rifle except for one thing: the magazines are garbage. I can't say whether the 7.62x39 mags are any better.

100$ more at what price?

CZ makes quality products. Paying a 100$ more for a firearm that will last you a lifetime is not a bad idea. Unless if you like Ruger due to it's lower weight.

7.62x39 is not as flat shooting as 5.56x45 but makes a better DURR rifle.

CZ does come with iron sights

if you want those

Irons make the firearm more aesthetic. Also make it shootable out of the box

They actually do make 527 in 7,62x39 with synthetic stock, dunno about availability in the US though

Attached: cz_527_m_carbine_12898.png (870x410, 66K)

I saw a video by Hickok and NutnFancy and I don't think they had complaints about the factory magazines. Maybe just a 300 blackout thing?

About $400 for the Ruger vs $500 for the CZ on gun.deals. Weight isn't really a issue for me, since this isn't a rifle i'd carry 24/7 or anything like that. Plus it's only half a pound. I'm guessing DURR = deer? But you vouching for CZ is pushing me towards them more.

You got me excited when you said iron sights (I love having backups) but apparently that's just with the carbine version (18.5 vs 22 inch barrel). Might have to consider the carbine over the regular if I really want irons.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm still debating synthetic vs wood. Synthetic will break down after decades but it seems like people have their wood stocks that are doing just fine. Have to decide if the work to preserve the wood is worth it vs just getting a synthetic.

There's a guy in the Canada General whose CZ in 7.62x39 had the stock break after a handful of rounds.

Doesn't Savage make some models in 7.62x39?

I like both but would go with the CZ, rather have a .243 though

Ill look up that stock break.

I went to Savage's site and couldn't find anything in 7.62x39, just 7mm.

>There's a guy in the Canada General whose CZ in 7.62x39 had the stock break after a handful of rounds.

O fuck off with your bullshit

Savage makes decent guns but I'm fucking sick of listening to your bullshit broken stock meme every time anyone mention CZ, I own 6 of them and they've all been good guns.

here you go lads

The only CZ in 7,62x39 is the Carbine, so you'll get the irons anyway. I believe the options are wood stock, short wood stock(the youth carbine) and synthetic.

I have a CZ with synthetic stock and if its the same stock its very good. Its kinda soft and gives good grip, but very solid doesnt feel cheap at all. Interestingly it looks different to what they have in their marketing material

Ruger and CZ are quality companies. Synthetic vs wood is almost entirely an aesthetics thing. Synthetic is a little bit lighter, wood is a little more durable in impacts.

Do some research about the mags; both rifles are gonna be solid choices, but quality of life shit like magazines are important. I presume this is gonna be something like an innawoods/brush gun?

Attached: 1520849137110.gif (317x263, 1.08M)

Hickok will literally never say a bad comment about any gun aside from saying it's too small

Doesn´t the CZ have issues with cracked stocks?

Wish it came with iron sights

Yeah, but if you like iron sights, it's really your only option.

>Synthetic will break down after decades
Many, many decades, and it depends on the plastic and how it has been treated, and what it's been exposed to.

Many plastics hate long time exposure to harsh sunlight, some hate longtime exposure to water, some don't like cold, etc.
Good plastic like used by Glock or MagPul holds up quite well, I don't doubt these could last 100 years. It helps to clean and maintain your gun overall.

Get the Ruger

Attached: image1 (4).jpg (960x1280, 309K)

Any downside to these? Would love a bolt 7.62x39 gun.

Also recommended scope?

The one thing I hate about my CZ 527 is the magazine. Fucking difficult to load that thing, I wish it was double stack and I wish you could load it while the mag is in the gun.

cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american/

Different model. But seeing as the Carbine has a 18.5 inch barrel it's still more than the Ruger. Which might be a good in-between between the Ruger and that CZ I linked above.

innawoods gun. Got a 45-70 for brush :)

Bummer. I imagine single stack mags would jam up/have feeding issues less than double stack though right?

CZ 527 has controlled feed aka Mauser bolt, and feeds from single stak mags that are slow(er) to load. If you dont want that you need to get the Ruger instead. In that way the Ruger is more "tactical" even if it lacks the iron sights with fiber optic post

The cz also has back up irons, this has easier and less proprietary scope mount.....is thr american ranch threaded?
If its threaded id get the ranch a suppressor on heavy 7.62x39 sp's is so great and cheap to feed.
If threaded get the ruger. If not get the cz.....im rambling

Its not a mem bro, i had my stock replaced twice. They were fast and nice about it but its real.

Attached: 20160101_155630.jpg (5312x2988, 3.76M)

I fired 40 rounds out of mine so far and had no issues. I'm hoping if it hasn't happened by now it's not going to crack.

>tfw I've only fired 40 rounds and had it since november

really gotta go to the range more

>I can't say whether the 7.62x39 mags are any better.
Mini-30 mags are definitely nicer than the regular American mags.

Aftermarket sights for the American can be had

doveguns.com/product-page/ruger-american-peep-sights

>Proprietary scope mount
>M1913

Attached: 1513583513138.gif (240x180, 806K)

kinda silly desu

The cz rings are proprietary

Both breaks happend to me after about 25 or 30 shots.
No rhyme or reason to it that i could put my finger on

>not going to BLM land innadesert and blasting garbage people dumped

>tfw NYer

Look at the fucking jowls on that guy.

Mini 30 edition would be neato. Ruger American is an accurate rifle, the stock kinda sucks though.

I have one and I think it’s great
Mini 30 mags are great.
Also it sucks you got the 300 blackout one when you did- they take AR mags now

Get a Mini-30 in a plastic stock?

Attached: wm_6244621.jpg (4608x3456, 1.44M)

Why would you want a bolt gun in 7.62x39 though? Are you going to run steel case garbage ammo in it?

It's roughly equivalent to .30-30Win, which is a great deer round and the ammo can be had for cheap.

What bore diameter does Ruger actually use?

Presumably .311 like all other 7.62x39mm rifles.

Also .30-30 is a fair bit hotter, they just have comparable ballistic trajectories.

Get it. Got mine and it's fantastic. Just keep in mind that hollow point ammo doesn't feed as easily.

.30-30 is hotter, but the ballistic coefficient of all but the new spitzer ones is significantly worse. By 150 yards, they have approximately the same energy and beyond that the 7.62x39 will have more.

CZ527 is an awesome gun, and it comes stock with irons.

MOST IMPORTANTLY it has the sweetest fucking FULLY ADJUSTABLE stock trigger you will ever feel.

A lot of people aren't aware of this. It has what's called a set-trigger, meaning it's a normal (very nice feeling) trigger, but then you can push it forward into a clicked-postion where it then becomes a feather-light trigger, making the gun WAY more accurate. Please do yourself a favor and don't get the ruger bullshit, it's not a better gun in so many ways.

I have a lot of guns and the CZ 527 with it's irons, awesome 7.62x39 caliber, set trigger, beautiful turkish walnut stock, and smooth mini-mauser action make it my favorite one

Attached: cz527.png (640x322, 318K)

And yes, to answer your question, per the CZ website it is specifically designed to shoot cheap shitty steel surplus ammo. It's really arguably one of the most dynamic guns on the market, and SO fucking fun to shoot. I think someone else said in a thread one time it feels like holding a .22 that will take deer. Just trust me it's miles ahead of ruger. Plastic stocks are cheap anyway they feel like shit, invest in a nice gun that you'll be proud to give to your grandkids

>beautiful turkish walnut stock,
That’s known for cracking
>Plastic stocks are cheap anyway they feel like shit
Atleast they don’t crack

The other problem with the CZ is the mags are hard to find at a decent price, and even then the five round mag is more expensive than the Ruger’s 20 round mag

the trigger is very nice, can confirm

but I think Tikka/SAKO trigger may still be even better, if we dont talk about match guns

sure, i mean there may be better, but in the realm of odd caliber, specifically 7.62x39 bolt guns? the CZ 527 is really objectively the better gun, unless you don't care about iron sights, which are so much fun.

the cracked stock bullshit is just that. that happened early on for a while with a few lingering guns, but cz addressed the problem. they will take it back and give you a new stock and glass bed it for free if it ever becomes a problem. it's NOT a reason not to buy this gun over some plastic stock horseshit.

you could get the cs 527 barrel threaded too if it bothers you that the ruger has a threaded barrel, because remember the ruger would need a lot of gunsmithing to make it comparable to the 527.

I just feel like the 527 is too good of a gun to waste on 7.62x39. Anyone else know what I mean. Like I don't want to spend that much on a bushwhacker with an inaccurate round.

you're only reinforcing the idea that getting the Ruger is only better if you intend to beat the shit out of it for a short period of time, go to the range and try to fire as many rounds as you can, and then get rid of it or something.

i am in no way in favor of round limits in magazines, but for what reason would you need 20 rounds in a >bolt gun< that's chambered in 7.62x39? if you needed that many rounds (ie fending off an attacker) then you should have picked a semi-auto. I get that you wouldn't want to take the extra time to switch mags but that is nothing compared to working the bolt between each round. the logic on this is off.

and by the way, i've put probably 500 rounds through my cz 527 without any cracks. a few complaints online that were handled impeccably by the manufacturer are swaying your view, which shows you aren't very rational or intelligent, like most people who buy Ruger

They make it in 5.56mm I think.

it's plenty accurate out of a bolt gun out to 300+ rounds, especially if you use good ammo.

a bushgun really isn't meant for anything further than that unless you live in like fucking montana or somewhere else in the west where you're going to have a magnum caliber anyway to reach out to long distances with lots of power.

in my opinion it's a perfect caliber for innawoods especially on the east coast/appalachians/south/great lakes area, and also cascadia

>maybe not quite cascadia because grizzlies and/or samsquatch

Cheap-ass Tula isn't going to wow you with its fine precision, but there does exist match grade ammo for 7.62x39mm and you'll absolutely notice the difference when shooting it.
The trajectory isn't particularly flat, but that doesn't mean it can't perform well within its means.

Don't forget
>dat Mannlicher stock

Attached: cz-usa-cz-527-fs[1].png (904x602, 131K)

>Im sick of your anecdotal evidence saying cz sucks, IL HAVE YOU KNOW I HAVE ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE SAYING IT DOESNT SUCK
useful post

a terribly small percentage of cz527 stocks have cracked after use, literally just like any other guns with wood stocks

you're too young to even realize that wooden stocks on guns are not perfect, no matter the gun. in the age of the internet this is only now more popular

you somehow think that all cz 527 stocks crack, and for literally no reason at all you're shutting yourself out from what is a fun gun.

in the rare chance that it ever happens the company takes care of it free of charge. not wanting a wood stock because you're afraid of it cracking is like never driving because you're afraid of crashing, it makes sense if you're autistic, but the rest of us think you're a fucking moron

cz527 stocks cracking is not anecdotal, they have probably sold hundreds of thousands if not millions of the gun and you find an actual handful of complaints about this

it's just the knee-jerk autist statement to make about this gun. do you even own one?

Why not go for a Moist Nugget, in 7.62x54r if you care about price so much.

>an actual handful of complaints about this
A handful of anecdotes.

if you're the kind of person who takes any minute hint of doubt on the internet over the quality of a product as a reason not to buy one i'm not sure why you would ever buy anything made by Ruger

I quite like my CZ 527M. Mine is chambered in .223 because I got more as a target rifle than a deer rifle, and I like the ballistics of .223 better than 7.62x39 (not to mention the variety of ammunition, considering it’ll fire 5.56 too).

It is a bit pricey, but it’s a smooth rifle. It likes quality brass or cheep steel, it makes no difference. The iron sights are good although the rear sight is a bit narrow for my taste. The mounts are 16mm dovetail and the bolt handle clearance will typically require medium rings, so that’s a bit annoying. The accuracy is great; it’ll shoot a lot better than I can. Some people complain about stock issues, personally I haven’t had any but I think it may be because 98% of the reports come from people using the 7.62x39, though this could be due to the fact that it is the more popular clambering. The trigger is fantastic; the normal trigger breaking just under 4 lbs and the set trigger at just around a pound. Fantastic feeling, I gotta day. The mags are expensive but otherwise work fine.

Overall, a bit pricey but it’s a great rifle. Low recoil, cheap ammo, and a fun shooter.

Attached: E919A6B0-C0B4-4CCB-862B-C5A2C0B920D1.jpg (750x1000, 246K)

I'm saying youre both queers using anecdotal evidence

This is the second person you made a comment like that to. It’s pretty clear you work for CZ. >a nice gun that you'll be proud to give to your grandkids
No one is going to give their grandkids a gun that you can’t get extra magazines for. Actually no one is going to give their grandkids a gun in 7.62x39 unless it’s an AK.

Howa 1500 in x39
>mini action

Attached: HOWA-MiniAction-MultiCam.jpg (1000x630, 13K)

winner.

You sound like someone who buys a shit rifle and gets angry at people for preferring the more expensive rifle. Also, you can get mags for it, they’re just a bit pricey.

lol, i was waiting for the "oh you must work for CZ" post

nope

Im sure its a nicer rifle but there is no point in getting it in this caliber if it can not take anything more than a five round mag. Cheap ammo and higher capacity, a rarity for a bolt gun, is literally what the Ruger has going for it. If you like the 527 thats great but it has nothing to do with why I like the RAR.
I actually am considering a CZ varmiter in 204 as a new groundhog gun.

I think both of those are offered in 6.5 grendel. get that. it's a way better round.

Yes. I like to have guns in common calibers and don't have anything in 7.62x39. I don't like AK's and don't like SKS prices for what they are, so looking at this Ruger and CZ's.

Bummer. Ill keep that in mind. Thanks

Damn that trigger bit is sexy. Another thing to consider.

I wanted a nugget but nuggets are more expensive now, and the ammo is more expensive as well compared to 7.62x39. Nuggets are great I will admit, but not for the current costs. I missed the nugget generation :(

Thank you for your input :)

That's pretty sexy. Ill check it out. Thanks!

Grendel isn't as common as 7.62x39. Trying to get the common calibers and I don't like AK's + SKS's are too expensive for what they are.

shop.whittakerguns.com/product/7775564

How is this so cheap? Cheaper than the Rugers or CZ's that I see online. And I thought Howa's were suppose to be some kind of high quality rifle out of Japan so this for $350 seems really cheap considering it beats even Ruger's price.

Get the Ruger and stop being an Soviet cock smoker

Attached: 1519655675941.jpg (627x735, 71K)

I mean your post is full retard but:
>Actually no one is going to give their grandkids a gun in 7.62x39 unless it’s an AK.
just seals it.

>Grendel isn't as common as 7.62x39. Trying to get the common calibers and I don't like AK's + SKS's are too expensive for what they are.

6.5x55 Swedish. I don't know if that's common where you live but it's *very* easy to get hold of in Scandinavia.

>Getting all Fatherland Rifle Stronk instead of letting the free market determine

Get your communism back to commustan.

CZ's never tried to ban assault weapons.
Fuck Ruger.

>CZ's never tried to ban assault weapons.
>Fuck Ruger.

Ruger supported the AWB?

Is that the kind of thing you have sources for? Because if so, I need to know before I spend any money.

Not him, but...
Bill Ruger was a bit of a fudd. He didn't like selling >15 round mags to non-LEO civvies and other such bullshit. It hurt the company like crazy.
Once Bill died in 2002, they immediately started selling 30 round mags to erryone and started making tacticool shit like AR-15's.

Australian here.
I own the Ranch in 7.62x39.

Its honestly a great gun that hammers out cheap ammo all day long. I feed my mine Norinco x39 and it works fine.

We can't have suppressors here, but you can, so it'd be a great host for one. And it's sturdy. Ruger seem to have changed some machining process or something, but the bolt is far better than the standard Ruger Americans. I'll be grabbing the V2 in 223 when it comes out, as it takes AR15 mags. They're making a 300blk one that also feeds from AR mags as well.

>What bore diameter does Ruger actually use?

Theoretically .310, but it wouldn't hurt to slug your bore and measure. Won't make a difference either way, a bullet .002 too big won't be unsafe to shoot. Just open up a shell of 00 buckshot and ram a ball down the bore from the breech end with a stiff ramrod. wad up a patch or two to keep between the rod and the ball so that your slug doesn't get deformed by the rod.

Bill Ruger had some gay ideas, but Bill Ruger also died a very long time ago and the company today would make his fucking head spin.

They utilize ak mags, or use proprietary?

Mini 30 mags. More expensive than AK mags but cheaper than most other comparable bolt gun magazines and available in 20 rounds.

Y'know, with a 10 or 20 round magazine and a red dot sight, the Ruger Ranch kind of makes a good lightweight scout rifle.

SKS sucks ass! When the Chinese ones arrived they often went FA because the trigger/sears got out of alignment due to shitty trigger pins

That was probably the pin being stuck forward from old hardened cosmoline. You can clean that out and they work.

There's also aftermarket kits that prevents the SKS from slamfiring whether dirty or clean.
Precision will generally be pretty meh on the SKS, though.

I was thinking along the same lines, but with a low-power or variable scope. Or maybe a red dot with magnifier if you wanna get really tacticool.

Yeah. It's a lot more economical than the standard Ruger Scout too, costing far less and shooting a far cheaper cartridge (which wouldn't be TOO dramatically far from some of the 16" barreled scout rifles some people insist on for .308)