The ones that got away

Come and drown your sorrows, traveler.
Tell us the story of the gun that, for whatever reason, you just narrowly missed.

This happened yesterday/today.
>get promotion flyer for raffle event in parking lot of local outdoorsy store
>have nothing better to do
>decide to go, might win something
>won jack shit
>already at store might as well go in
>ammo as consolation is better than nothing
>head to gun department
>peruse the secondhand gun section
>there it is
>pre-war MAS 36 in pretty good condition
>$249.99
>pic related
>for some fucking reason bummed about the raffle
>decide to pass on MAS 36
>buy some ammo and head home instead
>next day
>talking over MAS 36 with GF
>realize what an idiot I am
>head back to store after work
>hoping I didn't make a big fucking mistake
>nervously look around gun department
>not fucking there
>ask worker about it
>MAS 36 got sold an HOUR before I came in
>go home to sit in sorrow and post on Jow Forums

What mistakes have you guys made?

Attached: mas36.jpg (752x1336, 347K)

>Posting on Jow Forums
And here I am still today.

I bought an SKS at my LGS for cheap. Apparently it was only up for 2 hours when I walked in and lots of people have called in looking for it afterwards.
Feels good to impulse buy.

I've been a NoFuns for a while since I moved outside the US for a number of years, and sold the couple I had off.
Now that I've been back I've been missing those old afternoons at the range, yet am too much of a poorfag right now to buy anything for a while.
I'm still debating on what the first purchase is going to be. Handgun? Or just something fun like a lever action?

Scar 17h. Was on gunbroker for 2500. Came with 15 mags. 10 of which were FN. My girlfriend talked me out of it because of my legal fight to get my kid from my exwife. I waoted a day amd said fuck it I'm buying. It was gone. Got a 1903 instead.

I have a variety of guns. From a CZ Scorpion carbine to a Mosin Nagant. I make every purchase with an image in mind. I search my soul to see what gun I should have and the uses I will have with it.

mauser 96 carbine re-chambered in 9mm

guy was only asking 900

>walk into funstore
>look at racks
>gorgeous SMLE
>unissued, in cosmoline, not even a scratch on the stock, literally was made and put away
>how much?
>it sold two hours ago for 300

Now that hurts

I would die

I saw a pristine Type 99 with the chrysanthemum, monopod, AA sights, sling, and type 30 bayonet + scabbard.
Price tag was $500 and a big "SOLD" written across it.

[Desire to commit Seppuku intensifies]

I luckily haven't had any regrets. Haven't been able to go to the stores and such at all. There are certain firearms that I get a feeling for, almost as soon as I see them. I just know that I have to have it. And I've gotten it.

>Walk into store
>See a ptr on the wall
>nice
>"oh, that's not a ptr user, that's an actual H&K"
>$3500
>whatthefugg.jpg

Same LGS different time

>walk in to pistol display
>see a WW2 p08 luger
>ErikaIntensifies.nazi
>"yeah some guy came in and got rid of his collection."
>$2600

I understand the rarity of them both now but at the time thought of them as expensive. I just didn't have the funds or reason to drop that much at the time.

holy fucking shit dude
that's the kind of shit you'll still think about late at night 30 years from now

>be at gun show
>walking around near my local pawnshops booth, overhear a deal going on
>some guy tryin to sell an “antique 9mm pistol”, neither the buyer not the seller knows what they have
>no mag.
>it’s not 9mm Luger; it’s 9mm Largo, or at least that’s what fits the chamber
>the guy offers him 350
>I have $500
>I look at the pistol

It was a fucking Bergman Bayard in perfect condition less the mag.
The buyer DID know what it was and was trying to rip the poor fucker off.

I explained what it was to the guy and he offered it to me for the $350 the pawn guy was asking just because as he put it “I seemed to know what I was talking about”.

I turned him down because I had the cash set aside for VZ-52, which the seller ended up not even letting me have because apparently I was a bit shady.

I coulda had a Bergman Bayard for $350. But I was retarded. FUCKING WHYYYYYYYYY...

Attached: 3355DF9A-5A89-43BA-BC12-BC212CC33794.jpg (450x283, 30K)

>Be selling M44 nugget years ago, back when they were still decently cheap, but not that cheap. Like 150-200.
>Dude wants to trade his Smith and Wesson 39-2
>Actually a really fucking good trade
>I say I'll think about it, since I wasn't into hand guns back then
>Next day tell him, sure.
>He already sold it, so he bought my gun for cash instead.
I upset me so much through out the years for some reason. Last year I bought one that I came across. Then I bought a second one. Then I bought a third one. I almost bought a fourth one when I realized this is getting out of hand, I don't even like the gun that much.

Attached: 20180125_223007.jpg (730x1298, 275K)

Tell me about it. Every Type 99 I see now I compare to that one, I've seen some ones in good shape but none that good or with everything.
I do have a Type 38 that I love but the chrysanthemum has been ground off and I don't have a bayonet since a good one costs about as much as the rifle itself. I did buy a repro sling that looks meh but it works.

wow that is retarded. a vz52, really? you wanted a mass produced shitty czech $250 piece of shit over a collectible, rare, hand-fitted german $2,500 pistol

can you explain your thinking at the time? wtf. i mean you clearly knew what it was, yet you continued your quest for a piece of cheap commie shit which you could have had 20 of if you just bought and resold the bergman

Nice K31 at a friggin Gander Mountain before surplus prices went nuts. I went in the next day to buy it after looking at it and someone else had grabbed it.

is holo your waifu?

old man selling a K43 for $600, M1 Garand for $350, M1 Carbine for $250, K98 for $300 in the newspaper classifieds i just happened to check that morning. i called and he said someone had just came buy and bought everything but he had a remington shotgun for $200 if i was interested. i declined

>Lose out on a k43, garand, m1 carbine, and a k98 for cheap
>gets offered a Remington shotgun in their places
Was it a newer remington? If it was, God was punishing you user.

yeah i think it was a modern remington 870 express i was too mad to even hear him explaining it. i was mad because i had debated calling right away in the morning and didnt try until later like 2:30pm, it was a weekend and i didnt have the cash on me and needed to go to the bank to pick it up

I'm sorry user.

>SPAS-12
>great condition
>extended mag tube
>folding stock + hook
>crossbolt safety
>original paperwork
>relatively new buffer
>$1600 OTD
>at a store literally next door to my place
>was poorfag mode at the time
>spent a few days mulling over if I should layaway it and be a turbo poorfag for a while
>decide to pull the trigger
>"sorry we sold it online an hour ago"
I know the gun's kind of shitty but it's one of my dream guns, and I got to hold it and fuck around with it. I think that's the closest I'll ever get to it again.

Attached: muldoon.jpg (1280x720, 207K)

While ago had a type 38 at a show with a mum for $250 sure the wood was dark and abused but thats the beauty of them, completely spaced me at the time, fast forward a few years and I just got a type 99 for $300 with an early war bayonet don't worry lads good things will come our way eventually

Attached: 1519708937772.jpg (480x516, 112K)

How much does the CZ carbine actually go for in gunstores? I always year people say no one pays MSRP so I'm not sure if I should actually expect to pay 1k for it. Even at 1k it doesn't seem to be much more expensive then a 9mm AR, although I don't know the AR market at all so no idea if that pricing is right.

This is really a story of regret from my father:
>Be inna'nam
>Not allowed to have American cash, so it's highly valued
>Brings American cash anyways
>Buys Thompson off South Vietnamese Ranger for $20
>Carries it for a while
>Everyone thinks he's fucking special forces
>He's not even ground side, a fucking airwinger
>Realizes pretty quickly why the US replaced Thompsons
>Too heavy and awkward to carry innajungle
>Instead of sending it back home he sells it, probably for yellow poon
>Carries M14, grease gun, and M16 rest of time

That's probably one of the few things my father sincerely regrets doing in his life, selling the Thompson rather than sending it back home via mail back when you could do such a thing.

You fucked up.

I once had a chance to buy a MAS - 36 for $70

Got one for $200, sold it a year ago for $700 ... even I didn't understand why it did so well at auction.

>I stopped into a gun store a few years ago and looked at an Arisaka. It was marked as a Type 38 for 125 bucks. No mum but the bore was good. Didnt take long to realize it was a Type 1 Paratrooper. I literally had money for Diesel that day and nothing else.
>Then there was the Canadian stamped M1917 Enfield for 600.
That one I feel less bad about cus the bore was a fucking sewer pipe and someone sanded the stock. And the consigner wouldn't go down on price. Had a 1892 Krag in there for the same price with the same problems
>And who could forget the first ammo purchase I ever made. 400 rounds of Colombian made M2 Ball .30-06. There was another 1000 sitting in the shelf for weeks and the day I go to get it someone bought it 2 hours before.

Attached: 1522848260042.png (655x675, 466K)

This is going to sound stupid, but a 91/30. I was 14 years old and had an SMLE and was saving for an '03A3 (took me a few years to pull that off). A good family friend dealt in guns (and still does), and he offered me a nice, cosmo'd hex 91/30 for $100.00 (a decent rate at the time). I thought about it, and decided not to. They'd be cheap forever, right?

Wrong. However, it's not so much an issue of that 91/30 - I never even looked at it. But, the cheap and plentiful ammo probably would have kept me shooting and collecting. From 15 to 19, I didn't buy any more guns. Fuck me, I regret that now.

did you at least get your kid?

^This

It's one thing to not realize what's in front of you and hesitate to buy a treasure, but when you actually know what the fuck you're looking at and realize its worth and pass it up? How do you even do that? The only time I've ever come close to that experience is seeing a gun I already have at a good price and just imagine the face of the collector who will really appreciate that deal when they find it... but if someone is selling something as rare as that for 1/8th of the market value, you better believe I'd grab that shit.

You fucked up real bad.

Attached: 5e39fb4ed95a548a27e7e80d264d8e335dedce6db0a88d83e01111b124055f56.jpg (495x497, 78K)

>Got one for $200, sold it a year ago for $700 ... even I didn't understand why it did so well at auction.
it was probably a non-refurb in original ww2 era finish, they are uncommon and desirable

eh i wouldnt beat yourelf over that too much, at least you got into collecting eventually right?