Motorcycles for long-term SHTF situation

>motorcycles for long-term SHTF situation
What do you guys think?
Suitable enough for SHTF?
pros I thought of at the top of my head
>quick
>light
>enough space for some sort of small to medium sized gun(s) and some other much needed equipment in storage compartment
>can potentially have 1 extra passenger without having to attach anything else to it
>doesn't require as much gas since it's lighter(?)
>doesn't require as much space to go through places compared to a car
>doesn't require as much space to park in compared to a car
cons I thought of at the top of my head
>uses gas, obviously (just like a car though)
>little cover from the elements, animal attacks and other attacks (although you're probably moving too fast for an average dangerous wild animal anyway, which can also be said for a moving car)
>not as much storage space compared to a car
>can't sleep in it like you can in a car overnight
>more dangerous to ride compared to a car, you can fall off
>less passenger seats than a car
Also, did I miss any cons or pros?

Please try to focus on discussing the post more than the bear in the side car.

Attached: bear motorcycle.webm (446x720, 2.46M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_motorcycle#Hayes_Diversified_Technologies_M1030M1
youtube.com/watch?v=a9xAV0yDu9o
youtube.com/watch?v=8Z830kXJr7A
youtube.com/watch?v=iEDDvgcvqtc
youtu.be/K0ufETFgtfU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Dual sport is what you're after. Street legal, capable on trails and off road, small engine sips gas, easy to work on, parts are plentiful.
>potential cons
Noise. Even small backs make a serious racket. In a true "apocolypse" event people are going to be able to hear your bike for miles.

Attached: shit flinging intensifies.jpg (640x360, 45K)

shtf will never happen

they might make for a good accessory but as a primary vehicle there are too many cons i think

>Noise. Even small backs make a serious racket. In a true "apocolypse" event people are going to be able to hear your bike for miles.
Holy shit.
I can't believe I forgot to include that!
Thanks!

Attached: alex jones glowing eyes realization.jpg (225x225, 16K)

>Noise. Even small backs make a serious racket. In a true "apocolypse" event people are going to be able to hear your bike for miles.
this is the worse con in my eyes. you are basically blasting a "here i come, get ready to ambush me guys!" or "person living in this non-descript forrested location" signal for miles around you

ive heard motorcycles that were very quiet though so maybe its something you can work on with a quality muffler. i dont know shit about motorcycles but i know the noise is something that is mostly there by desgin beacause people who ride them want a loud obnoxious BRAPPPPPPP sound

>little cover from the elements, animal attacks and other attacks (although you're probably moving too fast for an average dangerous wild animal anyway, which can also be said for a moving car)
not really going to matter as long as you cover up your bike and hide it/make it less visible.
it's small enough to not require a massive tarp to cover it (compared to a car) and can be kept in a space slightly smaller than a garage.

Don't really think that's an actual con that you can't avoid.

>Noise
>i know the noise is something that is mostly there by desgin beacause people who ride them want a loud obnoxious BRAPPPPPPP sound
hmmmm
>meet a few people who also ride motorcycles
>ride together
>people who can hear you but can't see you think there is a small army of dangerous bikers
>they try to avoid you
>fire off a few gun shots occasionally while riding and give a few yells of joy while doing it
>you appear more dangerous to the ears now
>they try to avoid you even more
I see potential in this

>"shtf will never happen" when shit hits the fan
I love guys like you, you'll probably be the least prepared for it.

What about an electric ATV with a solar-powered charger? (I know it would take ages to charge). Gas goes bad after a while so you have to think of alternate fuel sources.

maybe, or

>be small gang of bandits, maybe 3 or 4
>cant see but hear a motorcycle in distance
>string up wire at chest/neck height on either side of road
>wait to loot

i think motorcylces have a lot of advantages, speed and can maneuver through roads that have been blocked up by abandoned vehicles or debris but i really dont like the noise they make. also, when you are riding one, its hard to hear whats going on around you as well. i think if i got one i would definitely try ot make it quiet as possible with a good muffler

>string up wire at chest/neck height on either side of road
Can you really not see a metal wire flashing at a distance while focusing on the road?
You can also do the same for a car, but with a car and some small loose caltrops lying around to not be easily recognizable as a line.
Could be harder to see them since you have worse visage compared to a motorcycle rider, I assume.

Attached: walk away hope lord humongous mad max.jpg (300x343, 20K)

>Gas goes bad after a while so you have to think of alternate fuel sources.
heard of some guy in russia mixing rubbing alcohol and some diesel into an old tractor and it worked well to get it moving fast enough.
it fumed black like the gates of hell, but it worked and got him to his destination.

>forested location.
Nah mang, noise is not a problem in forested areas. Sound doesnt carry for shit innawoods. Your big problems are elevared highways and rolling hills, where the echo will carry for miles. In the forest your engine noise will cary 500 meters give or take.

You're assuming concentina wire is bright and shiny. Its not. A string of wire stretched taut and "reflecting" the color of the road wont be visible until about fifty feet. You know, abput half a second away. Ypu're either going to find the wire wih your face or dump your bike to avoid it.

yeah, that could also be a major con, then.
but then you can add the caltrops as a con for cars, but they definitely aren't as bad on book as the wire, unless you skid out of control due to burst tires and flip the car over, with the weight of the car becoming more of a hazard/con.

>small quick bikes
I too have considered this over big BRAPing motorcycles.
but are they really quieter than a full-sized car?

>quieter
>car engine is in an insulated steel box
>muffler bigger than my dick
>exhaust pipes longer than my nutsack

>dual sport
>muffler that makes suppressors look comcially large
>exhaust pipes measure in inches
No, no bike is quieter than a mommobile.

No, it's faggots like you acting like you're smart for preparing for SHTF, all while ignoring more likely scenarios.

>all while ignoring more likely scenarios.
such as?

Not him. Floods, earthquakes, power outages, hurricaines, tornados. Natural disasters are the basic threat and is the most likely scenario. In the even of natural disaster, all "bug out" plans will be immediately destroyed or radically altered. You're better off preparing your home for an extended duration without access to food, running water, or emergency services. The likelihood of going full road warrior is EXTREMELY marginal.

Maybe a higher powered adventure bike.

>implying you can't prepare for that and use the same things you for any of those situations for other situations as well including SHTF
if you basically just need food, clean water and emergency services like getting to some place, then you might as well consider that useful for any situation, not just SHTF, but just as helpful for SHTF.
Looting and violence, as well as the need to escape that, can still happen in non-SHTF situations.

Agreed, didnt mean to imply otherwise. Though an over anticipation of "violent raiders" does tend to color a lot of people's opinions on what are good plans and what arent. For instance, a car may be "stealthier" than a loud ass dirt bike. Thats not always a good thing. Being able to rev your bike to make noise could save your life if you're laying broken on the side of a road.

He meant while you're riding it, crayon-eater

why the fuck aren't quiet 2 stroke mufflers a thing?
I was thinking about this a couple days ago because some mexicans were using one of those backpack leafblowers near me and it was so goddamned loud. I was on the phone and couldn't hear anything over the BBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

theres no way that these engines require such extreme volumes to operate

Motorcycles use noise as a safety device because it screams "im here watch out"

The ability to navigate deadlocked roadways is not insignificant. For many scenarios where a forced evacuation (not government, but literal, like rising water) bikes offer an advantage. Many places are not sufficiently prepared for flooding appropriate for their area, and only a handful of states can successfully execute reverse laning highways

What needs to hit the consumer market is this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_motorcycle#Hayes_Diversified_Technologies_M1030M1

A Kawasaki KLR650 fitted with a multi fuel engine capable of running on regular gas, diesel, bio-diesel from plants, and 5 different flavors of fucking jet fuel.
I fucking want one. It's practically the apex of SHTF bikes.

Attached: M1030m1.jpg (744x553, 49K)

>theres no way that these engines require such extreme volumes to operate

Hate to break it to you but the companies who build small power equipment actually do put a significant amount into R&D to make their shit quieter and less obnoxious. What you're hearing with the leaf blower is a combination of the engine and the fan and there's only so much engineers can do there in that package size and weight.

>street legal
Oh thank god

Attached: 9999.jpg (609x490, 58K)

You probably believe your shoes untied, huh?

>noise problem
>electric motorcycle

There's your solution. Now you can go kill everyone stealthily.

Holy crap that's awesome.

youtube.com/watch?v=a9xAV0yDu9o

youtube.com/watch?v=8Z830kXJr7A

youtube.com/watch?v=iEDDvgcvqtc

Get a KLR and your basically set, they've got the largest tank of any stock dual sport so you can go around 260mi in one stretch and you can easily upgrade it to 10 gallons, you can cruise at 70 on the highway but your not too crippled by size when it comes to lighter single track trails like you are in larger ADV bikes, and the things are essentially unkillable as long as you replace the Dohickey with an aftermarket one, multiple people have had bikes make it over 100k mi.

As an additional bonus to quell 's concerns the stock muffler is super quiet, it's basically as loud as most cars as long as you keep the engine under 3K RPm, when I bought my 08 it came with an aftermarket muffler that I swapped back to stock and the difference is rather significant, on most country roads you wouldn't hear the bike until your around 100 yds away.

>as long as you replace the Dohickey with an aftermarket one

For those who don't speak KLR, it's the idler shaft lever and spring inside the engine which is usually an absolute crap part from the factory which wears out after 6,000-10,000 miles and can cause catastrophic engine damage.

After that, yeah. I like my KLR for camping. I even built a trailer for it using the swingarm, shock and wheel from a same year wrecked KLR in case I'm on a trail and ever need any of those parts for the bike. Pulls the trailer down the highway and mild off road is no problem either.

I've been wanting to try to do some of the Trans American Trail on a bike. Would a KLR be fine on mostly dirt roads, with a little bit of light off roading?

>Would a KLR be fine on mostly dirt roads, with a little bit of light off roading?

They handle everything from pavement to "break your own trail."

As long as your fairly tall sure, it can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it as long as your willing to slow down a bit, It'll never beat a dedicated small dirt bike offroad or a touring bike onroad but it can do both at the same time, it's the epitome of Jack of all trades, master of none.

ape hangers

Attached: ha_6.jpg (1443x988, 194K)

Attached: 6a00d8341ec49a53ef01310f73f7d4970c-800wi.jpg (800x1196, 191K)

>using any other motorbike for shtf/cheap thrills except a CT110

Attached: images (60).jpg (443x332, 34K)

Where do you need to go?

I'm not going to lie anons. If I absolutely needed supplies and I hear your motorcycle miles away I will look for you. Maybe along the road with my Remington 700. Sigh. I'm sorry if I have to. I love you guys but survival is survival. I'm that asshole.

>Come on guys, another world war isn’t gonna happen, we beat the Germans the first time they’re not gonna get back up

Attached: 89F6A98D-9C9D-45DB-860E-9042613AFCD7.jpg (216x233, 18K)

then you're exposed to the elements, which fucking sucks. Why not equip one of those buggy things people drive around, they're street legal too.

No u wont

Pros:
>Good mpg
>Easy to fix
>Light
>Fast
Cons:
>BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
>Runs on gas therefore is dependent on the existence of gas
>If your tires pop you're fucked

>aim
>don't shoot
You're right. What would you do if you spotted someone on your motorcycle along the road or trail?

crash= instant death or paralysis

This is what will happen to donorcycle cucks:
www.2arms1head.com/

fuck that

>Remington 700
shiggy

Attached: 1515807881058.gif (500x500, 1.71M)

Electric motorcycles solve the noise problem. However, how would you charge it? Solar charging station with back-up swappable batteries? You'd need batteries already charging while you are out riding. You'd need some sort of mobile charging system for if you are caught too far from your solar/battery base. Carrying a spare battery with you would mean more weight and slightly less distance due to increased weight. But an E-bike would be the best in post apocalypse.

Small bikes can be usefull.

Attached: 1519835415326.jpg (720x540, 91K)

Charging a battery like that using solar would probably take several days. No way that's practical.

Motorcycle only has a chance if you can reasonably expect to never encounter snow or ice. If you crash, you have a higher possibility of immediately dying or being crippled for the remainder of your short life. The amount of supplies and passengers you can carry gets bottlenecked significantly too

That's why I said you would want a station with batteries in various states of being charged and charging.

>Also, did I miss any cons or pros?

Pro
>Uses less fuel, so you get further with what you find.

Con
>Smaller tank, so you can't utilize most of the fuel you find.
>Most use gas, not diesel, so truck tanks are useless

>What would you do if you spotted someone on your motorcycle along the road or trail?
fucking ask for a ride and hang out with them.
maybe they'll be kind enough to share some supplies in exchange for an extra pair of hands or something of the like.

I have two bikes, I would not rely on either in SHTF. Yeah, they are fast and can go just about anywhere, but it adds an unnecessary level of risk. I don't want a broken ankle or something when I'm trying to survive, I'll take the car.

>get motorcycle
>get gun
>find a bunch of other bikers
>join them assuming they let you in
>they get/have guns too
>work like a team, share every other morsel if there's enough and help each other out
>continue recruiting and joining other bikers
>massive fucking biker group
>can take on big opponents
>become the new khans of post-apocalyptic america
>spread either hazing fire or useful trade and messages between communities across the american continent
it may sound like future larping, but that's a damn aesthetic idea.

Attached: very nice dog.jpg (226x223, 7K)

>the noise is something that is mostly there by desgin beacause people who ride them want a loud obnoxious BRAPPPPPPP sound
Imagine being this fucking stupid.

Great, what is the range of let's say a Qunatya Strada/Track?
50-100 km on a good day.

The real SHTF bike is a electric assisted or cross country MTB.
>as silent as a vehicle gets
>can go anywhere
>can be recharged with solar panel
>if discharged, you can pedal further
>can be used without electricity
>non street legal ones can actualy go fast
>can be fixed with verry simple tools
>can transport rifle on top-tube
>can put pistol in bottle cage

Range:
On road: ~200-300 km/day
Off road: ~100km/day

Very asthetic.
What rifle is that?

t. carfag

>hint: it's for safety because carfags are blind apparently

>B-BUT I WANNA BE A SOCIOPATH, MOM!

Where are you going to buy gas?

I daily a dr650, and have been around cars and motorcycles my whole life.
Also it being for cars makes no sense, why would a dirt bike that will never be around cars need something to make them more noticeable for cars?
It can be argued loud exhausts are for safety, but it has more to do with just the design of motorcycles.

>Guys! Guys! It runs on Diesel AND JP!

Jet Fuel is diesel, retard.

>sociopath
>in the wasteland
Wouldn't the average sociopath that would integrate into communities probably get himself stoned or exiled? People are generally not that stupid and would see what he tries to do while attempting to betray the communities and take a large portion of their resources for himself.

>Someone in a thread about motorcycles doesn't know the intricacies of the different classifications of military standard diesel fuels used exclusively in aviation.
>I'll show everybody what a fool he is!

I was paraphrasing the wiki, sperg.
>the engine to use not only standard automobile gasoline and truck diesel fuel, but five major jet fuel types; and even the heavier vegetable oil based biodiesel.
It's practically a quote, take the issue up with Wikipedia.

Attached: FuckYou.png (453x453, 135K)

Don't they make "silencers" exhaust system?

It's not as bad as you'd think, when I ride my KLR in the snow my main concern is other drivers, as long as you've got some chains or can get creative with wire if your careful traction isn't a problem, it's the cars sliding into you that you have to worry about.

>Also if you wreck, 65 times more likely to be seriously injured.
Jeep is the best option for SHTF.

One issue is range. It might be better with dualsports/adventure bikes but my SV650 only gets like 140 miles max range on a full tank, so they might be efficient but you have very limited range.

also

>live in AZ
>carrying rifles on a motorcycle is completely legal
>cops have AR15s mounted on gun racks

absolutely 10/10 state

This is my SHTF baiku. Full toolkit in the box on the side. Extra gas tank, but I'm planning on mounting another 10l tank to the rear of the trunk.

Did I mention it has a trunk? Seats for 3 and plenty of room for gear. 2WD to get through tough spots, but I've never needed it.

Attached: baiku.jpg (1280x960, 571K)

>I

most important pro of all:
>fun

Attached: 2Uz6XAFXR4LgKHhqnVnVCnForZXbW_2d6VOSdvEDTlI.jpg (676x767, 139K)

I am more looking at a scooter and an off road dirt bike to haul in the toy hauler. Mix of comfort, noise and need. Not quite a motorcycle but I just really like the ride with scooters.

Attached: piaggio mp3.jpg (770x577, 146K)

get a real bike, nerd

BMW GS. My 650 gets 70 mpg and is no louder than a car at normal speeds, and she's reasonably capable off road.

The noise issue is overstated ITT anyways, for when the time comes, ANY common internal combustion engined vehicle is going to be clearly audible over significant distances in most terrain, making noise more a con of all such vehicles rather than motorcycles exclusively.

Attached: IMG_20160705_075339.jpg (2560x1920, 1.22M)

Optional non firing replica.

Hah, I like look and storage options. Way more stable and comfy with top speed of 70 it is fantastic (they say more, but engine begins to not like you).

> electric, so its quiet
> all wheel drive
> 4 wheel independent suspension
> small and light, easy to hide

Just get one of these

Attached: sxs_prowlerevis_vehiclepage_black_720x615.jpg (720x615, 56K)

Behold, peak performance.

Attached: 2018 prius c.jpg (640x480, 32K)

>Prius C
Mah niggah, top SHTF car right there

>charging this in a breakdown of public services will be easier than finding gas

I would sooner pick an electric truck for the transport capabilities and the fact that electricity is marginally easier to generate than gas.

>if i absolutely needed supplies i am going to get in a gunbattle with someone else who is obviously prepared, that's the only way!
you faggots and this shtf stuff

I would way rather be in a car than on a bike in anything even resembling a SHTF scenario

youtu.be/K0ufETFgtfU
>Would you guys SHUT UP

Solar panels

gas has a limited shelf life, three months without extra measures taken, three months is fairly long time for a SHTF situation, but ignoring the fact that bugging in is the best option so long as you're not living in some big city center
i'd look into ones that run on Propane, as it has a near infinite shelf life so long as the canisters remain intact

BASED

I love my poptart dual sport.

Attached: Capture+_2018-03-08-14-52-00.png (715x525, 649K)

There's also the Lightning electric motorcycle which can go over 200mph and has a 100+ mile range