What should someone new to .308 be looking for?

I think I'm going to go with PTR for my first BR, but am open to other suggestions. Is shaving .2 pounds off the end of a PTR worth it? Is there any appreciable difference in heat/accuracy between the bull barrel or the tapered? Is a foregrip on a .308 as helpful as it is on 5.56/7.62x39, or is it superfluous weight?

Attached: ptr.jpg (1146x1694, 230K)

Other urls found in this thread:

militaryfirearm.com/Forum/archive/index.php/t-22919.html
dsarms.com/t-ammunitionwarning.aspx
youtu.be/_a6cgDGhEuY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Buy a DSA FAL Voyager.

I dumped my FR for an A3S just a week ago. My FR must have been a Hillary Scare rushjob; bolt was hard as fuck to pull, rollers were a bitch to unlock, and accuracy as poor. FR is HEAVY compared to the A3S, Idk where the numbers are from. If you can, get the metal lower, the PTR plastic is uncomfortable and there is a radius that digs into the back of your hand when you carry the gun. My A3S is the G3 experience I lusted for; cant believe I wasted a year trying to enjoy the FR.

Continuing, my new GI is smooth and the grip and lower is comfortable and aesthetic as fuk. You will want to upgrade to a surplus rubberized charging handle ($5 on HK parts) or a 21E handle ($50) as they stopped shipping the rubber and give you an old cetme one that chews up your hand. Otherwise my newer GI is super smooth and very accurate. You really can't go wrong. Stock up on mags before scalpers start stocking up on them.

Thanks, was kind of leaning towards the A3S, so I'm glad to hear that you opted for it over the FR.
I've looked at DSA a lot, and was initially considering the 18" Para, or the traditional SA58. I like that it doesn't have the brass issue though I don't reload yet, and can just swap the receiver with the railed version. Why is it a better rifle? Does it take .308 okay? I see a ton of people saying that you have to run 7.62 NATO because it can't take the pressure.

>You will want to upgrade to a surplus rubberized charging handle ($5 on HK parts) or a 21E handle ($50) as they stopped shipping the rubber and give you an old cetme one that chews up your hand
Only if you have soft babby hands. Man up pussy.

Attached: 62DED90A-7A00-4C10-9369-AD7B3CB90D25.jpg (4032x3024, 1.99M)

you could always just tie a lanyard through the hole in the charging handle and pull on that instead.
alternatively, you could modify it to work like a PE-57 handle.
I saw some guy on a forum years ago who helped a two fingered war vet by installing a vertical piece to pull on through the hole in the handle using some spare aluminum sheet-metal.
seemed like a cool change, if you are up to the task.

Attached: HK91-G3-Cocking-Handle-Used-Surplus-All-Metal-1[1].jpg (650x650, 28K)

militaryfirearm.com/Forum/archive/index.php/t-22919.html
here's the link, but all the picture links are dead now.

something like this could be added as well to help.
similar to the PE-57, though this is for a K31.

Attached: iu[1].jpg (688x583, 115K)

Would opt for the FAL personally, especially if you're willing to pay for the SA58.

follow advice and get the metal lower, the heavy barrel is a meme.
get an upgraded charging handle like says, or just do the lanyard trick like (you could do the autistic thing and install but WTF man)
I'd just go for a GIR (probably in OD for my environment, personally) and tie a rope around the handle and call it a day.
great rifles, really.
>inb4 REEEEEE DSA FAL
*SLAP*

>you have to run 7.62 NATO because it can't take the pressure
This is bullshit. dsarms.com/t-ammunitionwarning.aspx
They list 7.62 as the caliber, but don't warn against using .308 anywhere I've ever seen. In general, any 7.62 NATO caliber rifle made today can fire .308 safely.

Both are great, I think the FAL runs slightly smoother, less felt recoil, but not sure if you get the para (I wouldn't). Also you can wear short shorts and be ready to kill commies. Ptr will be significantly less expensive for mags though.

Nice gat.

Gonna check my bolt gap now on my A3R i've fired less than 500, gun's been great. little picky on ammo, it loves cheap steel and milsurp stuff so not an issue;

>Also you can wear short shorts and be ready to kill commies.
You can do that with PTR as well, Rhodies used G3s and FALs both.

What's the more accurate or more durable finish, black epoxy whatever the A3R uses, or parkerizing?
I really like the looks of the A3R, and it even comes with the jungle handguard installed, but I don't know how it'll hold up compared to parkerizing, or if G3s even used that finish in service.

can i buy a dsa voyager with a 16 inch barrel and buy a folding stock for it or do i need any special tools for that?

My PTR91 GI is in the mail, is this list of parts a good starter pack? Are there cheaper places to buy any of these parts?
Still need a bayonet obviously.

Attached: poverty starter pack.png (935x947, 88K)

>recognize the seller from their order confirmation page

Attached: 1429099391948.jpg (626x788, 94K)

I'd be lying if I said that the slap wasn't part of the consideration.
I think I probably wouldn't opt for the folding stock, since I'm cool with the OAL of the PTR in theory. Though I like the telescoping stock on the old G3s.
>Port buffer
I really like that this exists, but I'm not sure preserving brass is worth not being able to mount a sight.

Buy a fucking FAL or M14
Don’t be another poorfag feeding his not an HK shitty steel ammo

>not sure preserving brass is worth not being able to mount a sight
It is if you don't want the scope rail to begin with because rails are unaesthetic.

It depends. If you're a richfag get a SCAR17. If you want the rifle for practical purposes (competition, hunting, etc.) get an AR-10. If you want a G3 pattern rifle, get a C308. If you want a FAL get one of the cheaper DSA models.

The biggest thing to remember is that the AR-10 has proven itself to be the best platform for .308 and can do everything FAL or G3 pattern rifles can only with better capacity, mags, reliability, options for customization, and with less weight, recoil, and cost.

If you buy a G3 or FAL pattern rifle, that's fine, they're a lot of fun, but ultimately you would be buying it because it was a toy.

>Don’t be another poorfag
>Buy a fucking FAL

FAL's are the same price range idiot. what the fuck.

>implying guns aren't toys
muh tool

Surplus leather sling is crap, better off just getting a regular 2 point 1"'sling elsewhere.

Wood furniture is sexy and used to be dirt cheap until PTR bought all of it to put on their classic line. It was $150 over a year ago when I bought mine off gunbroker, probably more now.

Rtg has clipped and pinned lowers occasionally, will look better with your GI model vs the Navy lower.

Check your prices between hkparts and rtg, hk is generally more expensive but they are cheaper on a few things.

My Kommiefornia version

Forgot pic

Attached: IMG_20160729_152734-01.jpg (1966x5312, 3.41M)

Not a richfag, looking to spend something in the realm of 1500-2000 at the most. AR-10 is definitely an option, but I've heard so much bullshit about muh proprietary parts and unreliability that I'm wary about them. Is this bullshit?

Probably but I'd still suggest emailing them and asking. Doesn't hurt to make sure.

Your wood looks fucking sexy

Hey OP! Why don't you just buy one of the GI "Classic" models that come with the metal lower? PTRs powdercoat is really good but so is their parkerization jobs. As a former owner of an HK, idk what the fuss is about having the original. PTRs guns are waaaaay cleaner.

Make sure if you are putting optics on yours that you make sure the rail that comes with the gun was put in straight. My FR ban scare election rush jobs rail was not straight and I could never get my scope to be level. This is not a problem with my new GI. I give PTR a pass because everyone's QC was garbage that year.

PTR is good stuff OP. I love mine. I'd definitely get the PTR over a DSA.

Attached: Witcher snow battle raifus.jpg (2456x4896, 1.86M)

You can get a brass deflector and make it a sort of A3A1. Downside is that it requires welding it on.

>I think I'm going to go with PTR

Think again.

youtu.be/_a6cgDGhEuY

Attached: 459467676189.jpg (246x138, 17K)

Is there much difference in durability or quality between the black and parked finishes? I'm torn between the two right now.
Was the black powder finish ever fielded on G3's?

>original bipod in cart
Gib

>Nut in fanny
>reviews old HB version and bitches about the weigtht.
>Bitches about the handguard color not matching.
>2heavy cuz isn't an AR
>Not .0000000000000001 MOA like my ARs.
>No last round hold open like muh ARs so is bad (despite AKs doing it also)
>Dumbass son comes in on camera to brag about how he wasn't a still birth this time and complain about the exact same poijts as his hotdog lipped dad.
Dropped

Mine has no more than two parts from a single manufacturer. Zero issues so far. Actually it has three magpul parts, the stock, grip, and rear BUIS. But those don't really affect performance. I can't remember what my total is on parts but I'm pretty sure it's below $1500 without optics. I got a good deal on a strike eagle so I might still be below $1500.

No difference in quality or durability. I've owned both and both are of excellent quality. It's just what aesthetic you prefer. Hk did it for their later civilian HK91s but idk for their police or military ones. PTRs powdercoating shits all over HKs original work.

Trigger pull: 9-10 lbs

Attached: 7c6.png (211x246, 11K)

Is the extra 2 inches on the barrel for an 18" worth it for the PTR or FAL.

>PTR QUALITY
>ERRYTHANG 10 LBS

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 9.38.57 PM.png (1376x750, 104K)

Nutn isn't perfect and I think he's actually autistic. He's put out some good reviews but this isn't one of them. His AUG review is another example. AS he says, your mileage may very. From what I've seen just about everyone's mileage varies from his on these two reviews.

>Dumbass son comes in on camera to brag about how he wasn't a still birth this time

Attached: 1507467915848.jpg (199x199, 15K)

That has got to be easily one of the ugliest hands I’ve seen on this board. Definitely in the Top 5, possibly Top 3.

Long gas system on a 16 inch FAL could result in some short stroking due to low dwell times. Carbine length should be good to go though.

Get a PTR and a FAL
Check armslist, I each of my rifles for less than $750

Attached: 20180205_214759.jpg (4032x3024, 2.79M)

Gas system doesn't sort that out? I meant more for accuracy and control. Didn't even consider that.

How easy is a trigger swap on these? I've also heard that the trigger is kind of squishy.

PTR 91 FR, great gun

Is that the GI on the left there? The green is a lot nicer looking than I thought.
The long gas system is more reliable on the 18" and 21" right?

Heavy but shoots soft

The easiest trigger swap of any gun ever. As easy as putting in a different bolt.

Look for an “enhanced trigger pack” on HKparts.net worth every penny