Shooting sports

Hi Jow Forums,
I'm a Jow Forumsizen that enjoys competition, but knows nothing about guns outside a few merit badge classes a long time ago. How can I get into some shooting sports? Advice, links, and anecdotes are welcome.

Practical shooting in particular looks fun.

Attached: OFGC_USPSA_MATCH_July_15_2012_20-800x537.jpg (800x537, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=Sport shooting competitions
youtube.com/watch?v=OHJ4kFPW8SY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lmgtfy.com/?q=Sport shooting competitions

Thanks. awesome link. Exactly what I was looking for. It would be great if someone with similar experiences and communication skills as you could comment on whether it's good to start with classes at a range, what other resources would be helpful, and if it's actually worthwhile.

Attached: 1519992950557.jpg (1190x906, 240K)

I can tell the gym didn't do much for your critical thinking skills.

>start with classes
That's fine, but a couple classes won't do much for you unless it's backed up with consistent shooting. It's like learning form first, you'll forget unless you practice it, and every now and then you'll want to do another class to make sure you aren't devolving bad habits. Of course this all depends on what you want out of it. If you're going to be shooting for competition, classes are almost a must, and you'll want to set aside a chunk of change for practice ammo and range fees.

>other resources
Really, Google. Shooting classes, find some friends that shoot, rent or buy a gun, get a feel for what you like.

>actually worthwhile
I can't tell you if it's worthwhile for you.

Thanks user
>Consistent shooting
How often do people usually go?

First, figure out wtf you want to do with a gun.
Buy something that you like that meets your criteria.
git gud with it

Go to some competitions just to watch, or even participate but be ok with you being bad at first.
Most importantly, handle your weapons safely around others and alone. Internalize pic related. srs

Attached: treatneverkeepkeep.jpg (450x338, 24K)

>Git gud with it
How? And how good?

not op, how the fuck do you find matches? Google fails me.

Be able to hit your mark the way you want? I don't know exactly what you want and neither do you, so figure that out, then set goals and get better overtime with practice. SAFE practice.
some people just want to hit things far away with pinpoint accuracy
some people want to be able to shoot on the go or larp for combat conditions
some people want to quickdraw mcgraw

you need to do some research outside of this thread, find out what interests you and learn all about it before taking the plunge

Attached: mcgraw.png (720x540, 268K)

get better at googling
call or go to local gun stores and ask them about any local events

I recommend that you do your own research which will help you more than me telling you what to do, my best advice is this.
>Practice
>Research
>Network
Critical thinking is a commodity in today's world apparently.

youtube.com/watch?v=OHJ4kFPW8SY

Read niga
READ

Attached: image.jpg (3264x2448, 1.86M)

I suppose I expected to hear similar advice to if I had asked about powerlifting or MMA on Jow Forums. How people usually start out, what books to read, what gyms to go to, how to progress. Questions about MMA devolve into shit storms about why one discipline is the best, but at least people provide anecdotes and arguments

It's more the fact that shooting is such a vast subject with hundreds of nuanced topics regarding what being "good" is.
>Ammunition
>Stances
>Breathing Control
>Weapons systems
>Tactics
All of this is better researched on your own, I'd recommend that you go out and shoot and determine how good you are then NETWORK with people who shoot and can help out, and maybe cross reference that with literature/online research and inform yourself
For instance, I had friends who bought guns so I wanted them and over years of research, practice and talking with others who shoot I'm better than I was beforehand, but I did it all myself. I'm not trying to be condescending but I strongly advise you to try as best you can on your own and talk to others in-person, eventually you can form your own opinions on the subject. Since you come from a background of working out you should know that it takes years to develop, shooting is like any other skill, however you will never learn all of it and it's constantly evolving.

Attached: dale gribble weapon 1.jpg (914x1024, 101K)

Makes sense. I found a local pistol club with classes, guess I'll start there.

OP where do you live? This’ll play a large part in how available matches are. I got into the sport two years ago and am also competitive as well. Networking really is the best way to go about it, I fell into it just by going the range I had recently joined for trap shooting. My club had steel challenge on tuesdays and going to those got me the lowdown on when local rifle, pistol, and 3 gun matches were happening. It also lets you get to meet people in your community who are also into the sport, they’ll have a lot better and more locally pertinent info.

You're first mistake was asking about anything related to competitive shooting sports on Jow Forums. Most of these retards don't even/can't afford to shoot. Check out USPSAs website and look for clubs around your area, IDPA is an option too, but if you're at all athletic you will prefer the former. Then go to Practiscore and search when/where the matches are in your area. The division you will want to shoot will depend on what kind of equipment you have and how much you want to spend or otherwise be involved in the sport. Where are you located?

Attached: IMG_0104.jpg (3264x2448, 1.8M)

Nice, how have you been liking it? How fast did you progress?

Thanks, I'll check those out

Greater Boston area, seems like there is at least one uspsa place around me

Looks like there is a pretty good scene out that way just from glancing at the USPSA website. What gun would you be using?

I'd like to do pistol, but other than that my Jow Forums knowledge is limited

I love it, I just wish I had the availability to do more, I live in NY so it’s hard. I have natural athletic ability so the movements and hand-eye coordination come easily.

Larping faggot

>t. Richfag
Shot timers are around $100 get whatever gun/ammo/targets you want and go shoot, shooting fast and accurate is key and you'll learn quick what to improve on.

What gun do you use and how often do you practice?

I just found a local range that does monthly uspsa. Right now looking at getting gear, any suggestions as I have only an FNX45 I plan to use for now?

Understandable. My advice would be to
Familiarize yourself by reading about the different divisions and requirements for those divisions on USPSAs website. Watch some YouTube videos and maybe go check out a match in person. Unlike the majority of this board, people at matches are very helpful and mostly eager to share knowledge if it means getting more people in to the game. The easiest place to start is in production division, we're talking stock guns with very little modification allowed (you can change sights and some internal componentry but nothing on the exterior of the firearm (no thumb rests, mag wells, after market triggers, etc...). You will need a suitable holster, a sturdy belt, mag pouches, and mags (at least 6 for the gun you are shooting) you can get by with 5 mags but in production u can only load 10 rounds in a mag so you will be doing mag changes and some stages are 38+ rounds if shot clean, I would want some extra on my belt in case of a malfunction. Popular production guns include but are not limited to steel frame CZs and tanfoglios as well as glock 34s/17s or similar striker fired polymer 9s. Also u will want to shoot 9mm in production do to meeting minimum power factor, which is a whole other topic entirely that can be discussed when u understand the game better. Hope this helps.

Attached: IMG_1127.jpg (3264x2448, 1.98M)

Not rich, but comfortable.
You weren't asking me but i shoot anywhere from 500-1200 rounds a week and dryfire for at least an hour every night working on draws and transition drills. And I'm only a high A class shooter in limited

Attached: IMG_1123.jpg (3264x2448, 1.36M)

Once a month would be a minimum I would say. Treat it more like going the gym and make it around once a week or more. Depending where you are, you can use BLM land to shoot. Otherwise you'll have to go to a range.

That's impressive.

Once a week sounds doable

Thanks user, really helpful. Half the battle is finding the right words to Google, so I appreciate the specificity.

Attached: 0d7T87E.png (752x620, 732K)

I shoot twice a week typically, even if it's only a half hour.