Alright so we all know that military MRE are made for troops that are out in the field abd not near the toilets so...

Alright so we all know that military MRE are made for troops that are out in the field abd not near the toilets so eating one and not doing excessive workout would cause bowel movement issues but what about civilian MRE? Are they any good? They are made with more fiber and more moister so constipation would not be an issue and you can get a big box of them at any time. So are they any good and are they worth it?

>Pic related is the civilian MRE package I'm talking about.

Attached: mks-mre-10.jpg (975x1024, 132K)

Go watch Steve's vids on MREs and just pack some metamucil pills with your food storage you mook.

Honestly you can actually just take one or two of mre out of it and eat them if you need to to conserve more or just eat one mre package a day to really conserve your mre stash

Bump

This entire meme is mostly due to people being dehydrated. Anyway after doing research on this getting totally not stolen cases of legit MRE's off of ebay is always cheaper than the civilian ones.

the lot numbers are stamped on the boxes right? I always wonder how many of those are honeypots for CID to arrest people for selling stolen govt property

i dont think they give a fuck.

but i would just make my own mre meals.
get a bunch of snacks and put them in vacuum baggs and just get some of like pic related backpacking meals for hot meals.

Attached: backpackingfood.jpg (1280x720, 81K)

Those are civvie MREs lol

Attached: resale is illegal.jpg (1737x669, 135K)

MREs are fine, and those are just civilian packed MREs made by the same factories with less accessory packets included, etc.

If they're worth it... I would say no, personally. They make sense for a military but for an individual either you're looking for really long term food storage options or you're looking for light weight portable options. Either way, MREs aren't the best, they're just a good compromise for the logistical challenges associated with combat.

Those meals are literally the cold weather MRE meals. They're fucking awesome and, being dehydrated, weigh less and are thus way better for carrying in packs than regular MREs.

Kek

>Alright so we all know that military MRE are made for troops that are out in the field abd not near the toilets so eating one and not doing excessive workout would cause bowel movement issues
We all also know that 556 will blow the meat clean off a durr.

>Are they any good?
They're stupid. Just buy calorie bars, whey powder, egg powder, and multi-vitamins.
Civilians have no need for MRE's. The above the better in emergencies, and normal home freeze dried or canned food is good enough for domestic military operations.

>They are made with more fiber and more moister so constipation would not be an issue and you can get a big box of them at any time.
Moisture even approaching 10% is a bad idea.
Anyway, If you don't have water to prepare/moisten food with, then you don't need food, you need water.

>So are they any good and are they worth it?
It's ordinary freeze dried food with slightly thicker plastic and desiccant packs in individual items. No, they're not worth it.

Double double is toil and trouble.

MREs are not freeze dried. Cold weather/LRP rations are, but regular old MREs are... READY TO EAT. You don't have to add water or even heat them up. Its nice for some very specific circumstances.

Best option for long term food storage is 55 gallon drums full of nitro-packed stuff like beans and rice, honey, peanut butter, and cooking oil.

Best backpacker ration is a mixture of GORP and freeze dried mountain house type stuff. Mountain House literally makes most of the Cold Weather MRE mains.

>MREs are not freeze dried.
>implying they produce food at sub-10% moisture content and don't utilize freeze drying
You know that you don't have to go bone dry with freeze drying, right?

I prefer dehydrated cheese and broccoli pasta and dehydrated coffee. just dump a plastic canteen full of dehydrated flavoured pasta mix and you are basically done, Any snap cap tube full off coffee and sugar. Less shit and more to eat

You know you do not have to heat water to rehydrate? You take empty canteen, put half litre of water in and dump 200 grams of pasta mix in (whatever) and leave it soak for four hours. Pour it out and eat immediately

Retort packaging is not freeze-drying and nobody calls it that. Please stop.

Yeh, or just throw it in a sealed bag and stuff it inside your vest for an hour or two.

>Best option for long term food storage is 55 gallon drums
That's fucking ridiculous. Do you know how long it takes to eat a 55 gallon drum full of one ingredient? After you open it, you need to immediately put it into another kind of long-term food storage.

>Retort packaging is not freeze-drying and nobody calls it that. Please stop.
Explain carbohydrate electrolyte drink powder then. How can you make drink powder without reducing the moisture content of drink? Checkmate bigot.

>That's fucking ridiculous. Do you know how long it takes to eat a 55 gallon drum full of one ingredient?

A drum of beans or rice will weigh about 150 pounds. A family of four will consume that long before it spoils. If you aren't provisioning for four people, wtf are you doing because you're going to get ganked in your sleep.

>Explain carbohydrate electrolyte drink powder then
Its got what plants crave

Civilian products are literally better than MRE's. You can go spend a couple bucks for Coast Guard approved water rations that last 2 years, or buy canned seltzer that lasts 18 months at a fraction of the price. You'd have to be an idiot to prefer the ration-water. Plus the cans are stackable and cleanable in case of a flood.

Brondo's got what plants crave

55 gallons of rice or beans will weigh about 400 pounds. If you have a remotely varied diet, you're giving it plenty of time to spoil. Anyway, how the fuck are you going to move it around if you need to? Apply more common sense.

>broccoli pasta

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 46K)

>dried beans
>spoiling in any meaningful time frame
No.

This user gets it. I get them whenever I can in large quantities. Only thing is pack some seasonings if you can, they ca be bland at times

Ive eaten alot of MREs, usually 3-7 years old and have never had stomach issues after eating them. If you want very long term storage, anything over a couple years, Id look into dehydrated stuff.

I pack some MREs in my SHTF kit, and I bring them along when camping, they're good for relatively short term situations.

push turd harder

problem solved

MRE food is fine. And if you can somehow get them for free, that is great. But in most cases they are a fairly expensive way to fill your tummy, while they give have relatively short storage durability and take an unreasonable amount of shelf space.