User, You Are Being Hunted

This is a thought exercise I want to share with you, especially the /out/ people here.

Picture yourself deep in the Kodiak Wilderness reserve, a long way from your vehicle. Cellphone reception is naturally zero, and something is interfering with your radio, which puts you on edge.

While taking in the scenery, a shot snaps just above your scalp. From that first shot, you're instantly able to determine that the shooter is in an elevated position several hundred yards out, and has a high-caliber hunting rifle. The second shot that follows it confirms that their target is you.

In this situation, how do you evade the shooter long enough to get back to your vehicle, or at least get to a safe area with cell/radio reception? How would you adapt your strategy in different weather (e.g. snow, rain) and environments (e.g. New Hampshire, New Mexico, Colorado etc.)?

Attached: WestSideBay-no2-July-KodiakNWR-PhotoByJeffJones.jpg (800x533, 233K)

Idk run lol, cant really do much

Shit myself, grab the turd, charge the shooter and throw it at him

I unload towards the sky and hope I gunbound his ass

i return fire

hey user you better get down we're takin' fire

I think I should clarify that whatever carry guns you have are all the firearms you have on your person. You didn't come out here to hunt in this case.

I grew up in Kodiak.

Find old WW2 bunker that Kodiak is covered in, return fire

Fortunately I'm packin my big iron at this very moment. Won't do me much good though probably. I'd have to break line of sight before beginning to think about closing distance on him. If I can lose him for a bit, then I'll start a fire and make every attempt to let it burn out of control while I make a break Southward. At some point after that I'll rub mud on my face to get that sweet Apocalypse Now look, will also help in case the guy turns out to be a Predator. But yeah hopefully I just won't see him again after that.

Seeing a lot of responses for returning fire on him. Even assuming you happened to be carrying a hunting rifle of your own when the attack happens, how do you plan on shooting it out with an unseen gunman without taking a bullet? And once you've found shelter as good as , how do you prevent yourself from being waited out?

Several hundred yards you cant really do a whole lot but run and or find cover. maybe wait out until night time and either flee in the cover of darkness or flank them.
I would be killed for this most likely because i am more or less the embodiment of pride. But i would probably get angry and take it as a challenge.
Anyone who would want me dead is probably a shitter IRL anyhow and could only pray that it's not a hired gun and that they want to do the job themselves

If i cannot run i would try to look for tree cancer, unusual shapes, glare from a scope, or un-natural movement. Like a break in grass/plant life. If i have a mirror i would lay it somewhere so it would be facing the sun and the general area of the shooter it could possibly catch the eye of whoever is hunting me,and with any luck would shoot at said mirror so i can maybe get a closer fixation on their position. Assuming i'm not being counter-flanked

Also if this shooter is at an elevated position and shot over my head what the fuck kind of piss poor calculations is this idiot doing?

>snowing
i could maybe have a better chance due to an increase in scope glare.
>raining
Can be an advantage or a disadvantage. Not by much, but mostly noise cancelation.

Attached: IMG_0079.jpg (550x412, 93K)

Terrain on Kodiak is hilly and irregular. Wait until darkness and slip out a gully. Thick Alder patches can provide concealment.

If it's winter we're both fucked, most terrain would be borderline impassible.

run to the next concealment option I can see, proceed to my vehicle and gtfo.
The shooter is on an elevated position, if there are spots from which he can go down in my direction
I will check my back from time to time and make sure to not walking straight lines to lower visibility radius.Return fire on sight.
If not I would move as fast as possible, get in car gtfo.

In case of lying snow, same but move quickly under any circumstances.
In case of heavy snowfall, get out of sight and find a climbable tree, go around it and get on tree. Shoot the fucker when he is in range.

That's a scary thought indeed. Of course, the hypothetical shooter would likely want to live too, so they'd hurry off to resupply sooner or later. So how does someone stranded in Kodiak in winter get out of it sharpish before they turn into a popsicle?

Those exact words, in that exact tone.

isnt all terrain irregular?

Of course, if you're considering an unlimited area, but terrain for a particular location is well-defined.

Flee into the bush to diminish their range and overwatch advantage. Find cover and/or concealement. Camouflage up. Hunker down till night fall in a concealed location. Exfiltrate the area around dusk.

This would hinder their ability to take best advantage of their sniping position. Even good thermal/NC scopes aren't great at long range so leaving at around dusk would be prudent.

You could try to get far enough away from the sniper in the dusk twilight so that by the time you're in true darkness your bushwhacking noise might not draw their attention. Tracking at night is also more difficult, so by morning you may be a considerable distance from the sniper.

Camouflage is a good idea, though would it work in areas with much less vegetation and flatter terrain (e.g. Colorado/Nevada desert)?

Speaking of Kodiak
I plan on going brown bear hunting
Should I go to Kodiak or the peninsula?

>in the kodiak without a rifle big enough to defend yourself from bears and wolves

If you're hiking and not out to kill something, bear spray and a sufficiently large handgun should meet your defensive needs. Even park rangers don't lug long guns around all the time.

I'm a fat fuck SEAmonkey who is completely unfamiliar with the Kodiak, I'd probably be dead.

I might have a chance against the mosquitoes, though.

I set the console's internal date 2 weeks later so the shooter dies of old age

I dont think you have any clue about this enviroment

Attached: ULlMVId.jpg (200x211, 5K)

Kek, that's a good one.

Attached: 50e617fb6688131103818dfc7f342d50.jpg (320x480, 153K)

is this b8 or are you a retard

I admit I haven't actually been to the Kodiak; I picked it as my scenario's setting due to the lack of cellphone reception and hilly terrain, along with its status as a popular hunting/hiking locale. With that out of the way, could you elaborate?

same reason you dont walk in the woods alone in Montannah without a big rifle, have fun defending yourslef with a handgun from mr Grizzly as he's hauling ass in your direction to fuck your world up for no reason or the waiting mountain lions or packs of wolves

econiggers baawwed that the locals were killing the dangerous as fuck animals and now their populations are exploding

Fair enough. At the risk of derailing my own thread further, I based my statement on wildlife studies that showed a 90% effective rate for bear spray, as opposed to lower effectiveness of long guns. However, I will readily defer to anyone with more practical experience on the subject.

I run for cover, then pop my head out quickly to entice a third shot. With this third shot I get a fix in his general position and draw my 10mm sidearm and blindfire in his direction. Proceed to watch as the entire hillside he's on is blown away.

Tell me about these bunkers user. Are they on public or private land? Are they up for sale? I want to live the bunker life