Would you trade in your internal combustion guns for genuine phasers?

Would you trade in your internal combustion guns for genuine phasers?

Attached: 63cea12ac4cefe5ac2392fc149e38d94cd540c15.jpg (880x660, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-FQDqFwlQug
youtube.com/watch?v=bvhIXii4AMw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes.

I'll stick with my steam powered one, thanks

Attached: gun.jpg (1280x720, 173K)

yep

wait for a dependable manufacturer of pic to Conceal carry one of those bad boys

Attached: 1376730105878.jpg (542x170, 34K)

will need an unlimited pwr supply to go with it first.

>would you trade a gun that has to be reloaded and take multiple shots to bring down a target for a deathray that completely vaporizes people or buildings in a single shot and has an unlimited supply of ammo?
hmmm going to have to thing about that.

I'll keep the gun unless you can guarantee me I won't ever have to fight a cyborg enemy that's nearly invulnerable to energy weapons.

Attached: picard shooting borg.gif (385x164, 1.66M)

Wait, seriously?
Like 99% of the gun fun comes from the bang & recoil.
A dumb laser gun would be boring as fuck, I'd rather carry black powder than that.

Attached: 1523504798757.jpg (340x340, 124K)

But, user. OP merely asked if we'd trade for phasers, not swear off actual blasters completely.

No. I would totally put that thing on the wall though, I love Star-Trek.

Hell no, my guns are valuable

No.

Attached: 1212006890800.jpg (750x600, 100K)

A working Star-Trek phaser would probably be worth billions and billions today, for all the technology that could be learned studying it.

Look up the energy weapon deaths from the original fallout. You telling me that cutting people in half or melting off all their meaty bits wouldn't be badass as fuck?

>implying that a phased plasma rifle in the 40 megawatt range won't have recoil...
Fucking pleb.
Gtfo and burn your laptop

> selectable beam focus lenses
> high capacity power cell
> protruding pistol grip
> kill setting

But, OP, nobody needs an assault energy weapon. They're made for killing as many humanoids as quickly as possible. If anyone gets hit, the doctor cannot beam the victim to a sick bay stasis unit fast enough. The organic residue gets everywhere, and the smell is worse than a Klingon cesspit. Think of the juvenile red-shirts.

Besides, the Starfleet Protocol chapter on Directed Energy Weapons was written back when Security was using laser weapons. It doesn't apply to modern phase-modulated particle weapons. Disruptors have already been banned from galactic transport and trade.

This
>rifle emits plasma charge
>energy required to propel plasma forward
>same amount of energy is going into recoil
Unless someone invents a compensator device that magically disipates energy into nowhere, that blaster is gonna have a kick to it.

Make it a Zat and we have a deal

Attached: zat.jpg (1200x680, 108K)

what's the difference between phasers lasers and disruptors

I don't think lasers or disruptors have stun settings.

I think phasers and disruptors have some kind of teleportation or dimensional effect. I know Original phasers were supposed to conduct the phasing through a laser

Not if everybody's being given the same offer

By 21st standards a phaser is a seriously destructive weapon.

Even the lowly pistol varieties are stated to be able to vaporize up to 650m3 of rock in a single blast, possess enough energy capacity to be fired for hours on end, and function as cutting/heating tools.

I'll take one of the Bajoran models, please

Attached: BajoranPhaserRifle5.jpg (405x253, 37K)

I wouldn't worry about it.

They do when you smash some one in the face with it.

>all those episodes in TNG when the phasers are rendered useless by some sort of space fuckery, where a regular gun would still work

>650m3 of rock

excuse me?

Attached: be skeptical.png (321x272, 186K)

Phasers are particle weapons, not lasers. Philistines.

As long as we're having a thread like this...I'd rather have a lightsaber. And no. Maintenance would be a motherfucker and once the ammo is used up, that's it. It can't be replaced with our current level of tech.

cubic meters

SHALL NOT BE DECOMPILED

>Phasers
Particle weapons, usually emitting streams of nadions (An artificial, fictional particle generated by the weapon). Considered more elegant and precise than disruptors, but less effective on tissue

>Lasers
Concentrated beams of light. Mentioned to be comically out of date by the 23rd/24th century

youtube.com/watch?v=-FQDqFwlQug

>Disruptors
Disruptors are beam weapons which excite and destroy the molecular bonds in the target. It's this release of energy that gives them their power. Less effective on shields than phasers, but drastically more damaging to organic tissue and soft targets.

Sure, if I can have a contract that guarantees I get proprietary ownership of any technologies developed as a result of examining the phaser. I'd be the richest human being to ever live, sole owner of the most advanced piece of technology on Earth and any technologies reverse engineered from it (like stupendously small stupendously large capacity power supplies for example).

22954 cubic feet

Attached: 1522802464310.jpg (360x450, 40K)

A cube of rock 8.67 meters on each side.

That's several tons of rock.

But user, I already have and I've rotated it into my edc. The problem is finding a holster that works well, other than that it's a very useful and easily handled weapon.

Attached: signal-2018-04-18-003226.jpg (2656x1494, 731K)

>DS9
My negro

lasers are weak as fuck light beams, phasers are directed energy weapons with an infinite source, disruptors create a less-than-microscopic subspace disruption on contact with biological matter which disintigrates the atomic cohesion, causing the person shot to painfully fall apart in a cascade reaction at full power

>phasers
>getting rid of projectile weapons
Borg plz.

Attached: Hugh_body.jpg (406x540, 27K)

I would gladly trade for a Varon-T Disruptor

That's my biggest gripe about the Borg. These assholes know that know kinetic energy weapons kill them, Picard cute them up with a Thompson. But nobody decides to use the replicator to make a couple Mossbergs or a 1911? Ship full of goddamn genius' and nobody can figure that out?

The only laser gun that counts.

everything else is heretical.

Attached: M36KantraelPatternLasgun.jpg (1967x562, 101K)

can i get a Blastech D11 Heavy Blaster instead?

t. not a trekkie
How do you recharge them?

>They sacrificed hundreds just to draw us out in the open. And then they came, and they came. We drained four of our phasers, and they still came. We killed thousands and they still came!

Attached: Ronald_Tracey.jpg (683x748, 43K)

Unless I get the recharge cord at Walmart, I’m out...(NG fan. Pic related)

Attached: 78BA1E7A-9E33-4A3E-BB90-D75DB4CD069C.gif (500x281, 1.93M)

Attached: parasite queen.webm (800x600, 2.69M)

star trek is a TV drama, the minutiae of recharging phasers was never covered in the original series, TNG, DS9, voyager or the films, only in Enterprise did they even mention phasers using power packs.

>Kodak triple-lens phaser

Why are you faggots arguing about shit that doesn't exist?
Isn't there a containment board for you fantasy fanboys?

borg also get pwned regularly with blunt instruments, blades and whatnot.
a gauss rifle or a good old fashioned 357 would fuck them like a drunk chick ad a Phish concert. i too am often infuriated by the failure of tactics in star trek.

No, for the same reason I don't want electric cars. My appreciation for mechanical devices is what drives my passion for firearms.
I like the mechanical workings of guns more than shooting them.

>faggots arguing about shit that doesn't exist
Duh, what is the Internet?

>I like the mechanical workings of guns more than shooting them.
This guy.

Attached: B272D12C-984C-4B80-B169-24EBFFAF4EB9.jpg (3224x1934, 468K)

In Star Trek they use those things to melt whole fucking boulders of granite. They are also potential grenades. The biggest problem I see is how to recharge the thing.

Why not use based TR-116 rifle? shoots a bullet into a teleporter that teleports into your brain.
youtube.com/watch?v=bvhIXii4AMw

was steampunk ever not full on faggotry?

First I'd have to have them, but nah. One of the reasons why I like the guns I do is the engineering.

Also, electric motorbikes are gay too.

In that case, they'd make a great an hero weapon if you just want to do a lot of damage or make a last stand.

Fucking Bajorans are insane. I'll trust whatever they think can get the job done.

Yes, but this raises another question.

What would happen with target shooting sports?

they still exist.

They actually made a railgun that starfleet used against the borg but it was never showed in the series. Whether or not that's canon is up to you. Honestly though the borg would probably just adapt to pure kinetic shit too sooner or later.

What would they shoot?
Paper and steel targets would disintegrate.

>internal combustion
external combustion is where it's at

Attached: U1bmDW0[1].gif (350x180, 659K)

Steampunk serves a purpose. It gives the RenFesters someone to look down on..

Because Star Fleet is fucking incompetent as a tactical organization or even government and exists solely because at least one hero emerges every 10-20 years (and time travel to retroactively unfuck themselves, sometimes, with weird restrictions), the writers are pinko "20th century earth is barbaric" types who would think militarizing is awful (hence civies on dual-use exploration/military ships), and I can only assume the CGI phaser budget is cheap compared to nice gun effects and gun props. Hell the TNG phasers are TV remotes if that gives you an idea of how many fucks were given.

Vaguely referenced power packs, but they seem to hold a lot of power. If they overload they grenade though. Not glocknade, like full on big boom.

They arent a """military""". Thats the excuse anyway. At one point Picard pretty much tells Riker that combat sim training is worthless and a waste of time pretty much because its not something Starfleet should represent or posture for.

I mean if the Enterprise had decent security teams 90% of the action would be resolved by "Whatever happens we have got the Maxim phaser and they do not".

Borg adaptation is meme tier. Becoming resistant by adjusting your defence =/= immunity, and the fact that they have been consistently rekt by Species 8172 or whatever proves that they dont become magically immune if they are shot at with something. At best they learn what to react with. It's like playing a game and taking spell damage, then learning its Fire damage and going "better chug this potion of 25% fire resistance before I continue!!"

They arent invincible, they just have good data collection and make good use of what they have. Hence why the Holo-thompson worked, it wasnt something they prepared for because Star Fleet never uses projectiles. Their adaptation for the future would likely just be ceramic vests or some super plastic storm trooper armor

No, because I think projectile weapons are better anyway.

>episode in DS9 where a murderer uses a regular gun to hide from the station's phaser sensor technology

Nobody ever did it right.
To me the concept is interdasting
The execution is always cringe..always.

Why? A phaser is basically strictly superior.
>No need to fire twice for stun to kill, just change setting
>No building up resistance like you can with Zat stuns
>Better ergonomics (depending on model) and aiming
>Wide beam for stunning or killing an entire room
>Lots of utility uses
Why is this so true? Given how much of that shit there is, how is there not a decent hard sci-fi attempt at it outside of fucking Verne himself.

Real men prefer dieselpunk

> writers are pinko ... who would think militarization is awful
There's still plenty of militarization in Star Fleet, we don't see a lot of it in TNG because Picard is in an exploration voyage but over the course of the series we see there's still plenty of warhawks and stern Captains like Jellico for instance.
Not to mention the Klingons who are bloodthirsty and militaristic but are shown as protagonists and not just mindless barbarians.

> At one point Picard pretty much tells Riker that combat sim training is worthless
Again, this is because Picard's mission really isn't a military one and, aside from minor skirmishes, Startfleet has been in a peacetime status for decades.

DS9's shows how Startfleet had to transition back into a much more militaristic role when they engage in a full on war in later seasons.

>regular gun
>it has a fucking transporter attached to the muzzle

William Gibson said himself it was bullshit and he unwittingly created it. It was supposed to be cyberpunk with bronze but they took the punk out of it.

Picard shot them up with a Thompson made out of hard light, no less. I mean, fuck, install holo-emitters on every deck and have them whip up a few M134's every time the Borg show up

This, the Enterprise-D was not a warship, it was on a mission of diplomacy and exploration. The fact it was heavily armed and shielded was a defensive measure.

A phaser is hella powerful, but I rather have a Zat
1st shot instant KO
2nd shot instant kill
3rd shot disintegration
Also unlimited energy and can conduct hits through metal

Attached: E29CA54E-9CA9-4B22-A08C-F1F2E207DF50.jpg (650x551, 149K)

The Federation and Humanity are incredibly anti-war because they arose out of what was left after WWIII and the Eugenics Wars. In the Trek universe, there was a full-on nuclear exchange between the UN and the Eastern powers, which devastated almost the entire planet. A 70 year period of chaos followed. It wasn't sunshine and rainbows that gave way to the Federation, it was fucking atomic horror and complete societal collapse.

Can also be used as dildo

But, but . . . I enjoy spending money on ammunition and carrying spare mags.

Jaffa weapons aren't unlimited either. They just have arbitrarily large ammo capacities just like the phasers.
Also except the conducting through metal, the rest are points against the Zat, because the phasers can do all of those in a single shot.

The way Zatniktel are used in SG1 often entails all 2-3 lethal shots being fired in burst.
And with immobilisation after the first shot, it isn't a "point against the Zat" so much as a difference in function or philosophy of use.

You can change the settings on a phaser, the only setting on a Zat is "Shoot"

They keep it simple, it is designed for slaves after all.

>three shot disintegrate
>what home invaders?

Ehh its still more time and fire on target required. I'd rather just flip through settings personally, given then show it as being basically as simple as flicking a selector switch on a rifle, but I can appreciate that it is more idiot and stress proof. Still a huge loss of versatility though.
Phasers can also disintegrate

The commentary in the show said they came up with the idea of 2 shots kill and 3 shots disintegrate because the writers got lazy and didn't want to sketch out a scene of hiding the bodies, and what would happen if or when they are discovered. It was always originally meant to stun.

I may be wrong tho since I watched it over a decade ago.

>just bft the borgs
Many of them actually have body armor incorporated into their frames
Also, what with being animated dead, bullets aren’t going to slow them down unless the brain or spine is hit

>Set phaser to level 16
>maximum force or go home
>intruder dodges beam
>blowoff entire side of your house

Attached: 88C16155-F074-4219-BD09-B5D352AD580B.jpg (750x455, 95K)

>a setting for every situation
>detachable P1 unit for concealed carry
>A E S T H E T I C
>can power your shuttle if it breaks down
>can be set to overload for ultimate REEEEEEEEEEEE

I refuse to believe Worf didn't have any primitive Klingon scatterguns stashed away in a closet somewhere

The thing being that you can only adapt against phyiscal projectiles so much on each individual borg. Eventually you reach the point were no armor or sheilding can stop a .60 cal projectile going 1/2 c.

No, thank you. I'd probably won't be able to resist the temptation of stun raping random girls.

Attached: barclay.jpg (596x740, 244K)

Imagine what you could do with one and a personal transporter!

Attached: 76C50BAF-8812-48BE-B292-962BBEB72FBA.jpg (1280x720, 46K)

Why the hassle when you can just book a holosuite.

>rifle emits plasma charge
>energy required to propel plasma forward
>same amount of energy is going into recoil
You seem to be confusing energy and impulse. Recoil results from the impulse of imparting acceleration on a projectile, it is a function of the acceleration and mass of the projectile. plasmas have extremely little comparative mass per unit of volume compared to solid projectiles.
Low mass leads to low impulse leads to low recoil. The mass of the amount of plasma that would be involved in a phaser beam, unless it is EXTREMELY compressed, is so little that the impulse from accelerating it would be negligible for any adult human.

just be sure to clear the history on it after your done and don't leave the program you ran out in the open

Heh, dumbasses..... always use the holsuite in ingonito mode