Is M4 outdated?

Will M4 ever get replaced with something else?
Is there anything out there that's significantly better and worth the trouble of replacing it?

Attached: 1519880937945.jpg (1200x675, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=880
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nope.

>Nope
SCAR isn't better?

No.

HK M416

Too heavy, DI is just as good

>German gun
no way in hell this will ever happen. if something replaces M4, it will have to be made by Colt or S&W or Ruger. but most probably Colt.

It will obviously get replaced eventually but as we have seen there is zero desire to replace it with a piston gun that is marginally better. It will get replaced when we encounter a threat no 5.56 load can really defeat...maybe body armor tech will get to the point where we need to change projectiles completely and that may lead to a new rifle. Who knows man

Nothing significantly better at comparable costs

Won't be any changes until a couple first world nation's go up against each other and both sides have quality body armor.

>get replaced eventually
They'll probably just upgrade it instead of replacing it.

>HK M416
>M416
No one calls it that but battlefield players.

If the M4 is outdated, then why is like half the world buying up slightly modified copies of it?

Still kinda an ar just with different gas system. I dont see the platform changing too much in the future. I bet in 100 years their will be something like an ar just with updated ammo and tech. Caseless upper or some shit like that. I feel like firearms tech has plateued recently

it would be just like with the xm-8: hk is gonna get fucked by the government

M4/ar should have been outdated when you project firearms tech growth over time. Its not outdated which is weird since the fundamentals of the platform are getting on up in years now

Likely we'll go to that 6.5 telescoping cased shit show once they get a few more kinks worked out. Or maybe it's 6.8, I forget. The ammo is lighter, but it's like a 9 lbs gun unloaded and with no optics or anything.

>too heavy

Attached: 04bcdc5f.png (377x377, 87K)

I think it's only called m416 even in bf

>Is M4 outdated?
Yes, absolutely. Cased ammunition became outdated when the caseless ammo was made feasible (G11 for example).
>Will M4 ever get replaced with something else?
Yes... at some point. Right now M4 is good enough and still better than what the main peer opponent is wielding.
>Is there anything out there that's significantly better and worth the trouble of replacing it?
At the moment not really, there are lot of guns that are better in every way but not enough to ditch 5.56mm or the M4.
>What could replace it
Weapon that can defeat latest Ratnik armor, that has caseless or telescoping and it has to be light enough. Coilguns could work if the batteries wouldn't suck balls.

>caseless ammo was made feasible (G11 for example).
Other than the fact that careless ammo wasn't made feasible by the G11, and hasn't been made feasible to begin with.

G11 had problems with overheating that were solved before it was adopted by West-Germany. What makes it unfeasible in your opinion?

Overheating was mostly solved in the G11 and it functions fine in the LSAT lmg. The largest disadvantage with caseless is getting a good seal, which requires more weight and complexity.

Attached: LSAT light machine gun (11).jpg (647x591, 101K)

It functions well even in larger size like grenades. Did you know that GP-25(30 and 34) is caseless grenade launcher?

hmm

The G11 solved the overheating issue by switching to a new propellant that had a higher ignition temperature. The G11 was slated for adoption in 1990 but the collapse of the USSR led to an indefinite halt on procurement of the rifles. Had the Soviets fallen a few years later, West Germany would have had the G11 in service and caseless ammo would be a lot more common place now.

Attached: IMG_3521.jpg (686x1024, 150K)

at this point, ammo advancement will probably be next up, which will in start reactionary gun designs around optimizing said advancement.

The M4 will almost certainly be replaced in the future. But right now, it's still great and doesn't need to be changed. The Army is working on a replacement, but don't expect anything before 2022. It's a bummer because I'll be out by then and I don't get to play with the M27. But it's not like that last part matters all that much.

what did they do to solve the heat issue?

HK M27 IAR is replacing the M4 in the marine corps. Line units are slowly being outfitted with the IAR, the M-16A4 is being sold/gotten rid of completely, and rear-echelon units are receiving the old M-4s. For infantry, the M-4 is going to be gone.

>M16A4
>being sold
Nah, they're dumping them in shredders after they sit in stores for the next 2 decades.

Police departments buy bulk used milsurp like the M-16, mane. Troof.

Best American infantry rifle coming through

Attached: a-3rd-battalion-recruit-sights-his-m-203-40mm-grenade-launcher-during-training-b179df.jpg (2800x1850, 2.7M)

>HK M27 IAR is replacing the M4 in the marine corps. Line units are slowly being outfitted with the IAR, the M-16A4 is being sold/gotten rid of completely, and rear-echelon units are receiving the old M-4s. For infantry, the M-4 is going to be gone.
Give me a quick rundown of the M27 IAR

Attached: The Quick RUNDOWN.jpg (385x578, 46K)

You legit cannot get an infantry rifle better than an M16 variant with current firearms technology; light weight, reliable, accurate, designed around minimizing recoil, it basically covers every basis you'd want in a standard rifle while most other guns these days will have some trade offs. I'm not an AR shill, hell, I personally prefer slav weapons for fun, but looking in your really can't deny just how well it does its job.
Cartridge fired guns have no where left to go, we won't start seeing large scale replacement programs until we manage to developed some other system of fire that is significantly better.

It's an overpriced piece of shit like all HK products

militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=880
here's that. They also noticed superior accuracy and reliability over the M-16/M4, both in rifle and magazine quality. Semi automatic/Fully automatic. Small differences that make big plays, really. Plus the marine corps has been wanting a replacement.

>Give me a quick rundown of the M27 IAR
It's just a fucking AR-15 with a fun switch.

>what did they do to solve the heat issue?
They changed the laws of physics.