Traveling to Grabber states

I'm a NC resident
Bringing my pic related 44-40 to upstate NY for a summer getaway, inlaws own 100+ acres of raw country perfect for target shooting.
As an out of state resident what issues am I looking at here? Long guns do not need to be registered to the owner in N. Carolina but they do in NY. If I got stopped driving or with it in general, do I just explain I am a resident of a different state, it's not registered to me, and I'm only here for a week? Will they take it away or something? For Christ sakes it's a lever gun in an obsolete cowboy cartridge it's not an AR which is life in NY prison.

Attached: IMG_0038.jpg (1936x1936, 261K)

I forget the exact laws, but I think they're called freedom of travel or pass through laws, might want to start there or wait for another user to clarify

As long as it's not a handgun or an assault rifle, don't even worry.

I think you're talking about safe passage that was defined under FOPA. OP has stated he plans to stay and shoot...Im not sure the laws in NY but federal safe passage is out the fucking window.

you have to follow the laws of the state you are staying in. if you are just passing through you're ok.

you are better off not risking it. you dont want to get a felony and fuck up your rights to own guns

I'm going to piggy back on this.

Anyone visit family in NJ with their firearms? I want to bring a couple of NJ legal handguns with me to go shooting with my uncle when I visit them. Should be legal for me to do, right?

long guns are not registered in nys you are good. just avoid the city. new york state isnt that bad dont listen to the people who tell you it is

t. new yorker

risk one anyondy who is over the age of 18 and not within nyc limits or otherwise barred from owning a firearm can own and shoot longguns in nys

There’s being careful and then there’s being paranoid. Go, shoot, stay out of trouble, and OP will be fine.

PA resident here with family in NJ, Don't do it. In jersey, you can transport in a locked case and only allowed to transport the gun to and from the range or place of residence with no stops in between. Also no hollow points in nj. Good luck

Hollowpoints are not illegal in NJ. They're illegal to have in a firearm which you are carrying outside of the places which you are allowed to have a firearm at without a carry license.

Well, how man ccls to they give out in jersey, oh thats rigtht only a handful a year. Dude theirs basicly illegal in that shithole.

careful if you drive through Jersey, the cops will ass rape you even over a level gun.

Legit, they tried to jail some 80 year old guy with an antique black powder pistol.

NYer here, long guns do not need to be registered in this state(yet), and as long as you don’t have an “ assault rifle” you should be fine.

Many people conflate the laws (and attitude toward guns) in NYC with those in upstate. You're fine bringing a long gun upstate, and rural cops don't give a flying shit if you go shooting on private property with the owner's permission.

>but they do in NY.
No they don't in NY, only in NYC. DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH NYC AT ALL

Memes aside Upstate isn't bad for gun owners your should be fine. I do know that you can't bring in handguns so don't do that

forgot pic

Attached: BGPsSPGCMAI2RL1.png_large.png (480x358, 274K)

Are you fucking retarded? I said hollowpoints are banned FOR carrying. They're legal for everything else, you dumb piece of shit.

Listen you stupid fuck, I said hollowpoints are only legal at the range or place of bussiness and residence. They might as well be banned. Are you fucking autisitic.

You stupid nigger. I was the one who said that, not you.

are you a fucking idiot i said hollow points with tannerite inside of them and then a little polymer dip/spray is not legal in new jersey you fucking idioot mongoloid mouth breather.

kill all the jews in new jersey and newyork putin please then kill the ones in boston as well.

Attached: 1524443096684.jpg (1152x864, 507K)

I don't know why you think long guns need to be registered in upstate. As long as you don't bring an "assault" weapon you're golden. I'm from upstate if you get pulled over they'll look at it and that's it.

>tfw I can conceal carry in CO because I'm from a state that actually issues permits and no one else can
Take that stoners.

Attached: 1523935767224.jpg (740x725, 73K)

>no hollowpoints

Thats the most retarded shit I've ever heard.
It's like the people who made the law have no idea what the intent of shooting someone, as well as the intent of hollowpoints for overpenetration is.
It's like they want babies to die.

No one gets a carry license in NJ, anyway, so it doesn't matter.

NY does not give a fuck about this law. The law only appies if you don't stop at all while passing though, so you can't even stop of gas or a bathroom break. IIRC there was an instance of some guy getting pulled over who was passing through and he had guns and they counted the traffic stop against him for having stopped with illegal weapons and he went to jail.

You can have it in New York without any kind of licenses. It's illegal to transport through New Jersey and NYC's 5 boros which you might be passing through. Just don't get pulled over on the turnpike nigger.

Just sttay the fuck away from New Jersey. Some lady from New York caught federal time for bringing her gun through NJ in her car.

If the nav tells you to take the Anacosta Freeway through Washington, don’t. Use the beltway that goes around the city. Drive through Pennslavnia instead of Jersey. Your rifle is legal in New York State. You don’t need any licenses.

>have to play 4d limbo in order to make my AR legal
>can’t buy a pistol without a licenses
>10 round mags
>have to pray that NYC cops don’t pull me over when I leave my gun in the trunk
>have to get my ammo shipped to a FFL
This state is cancer.

That dude in the hatch back? Yeah he didnt do the 'locked and out of reach' part of the law. I'm not saying I agree, but thats the law.

>do I just explain

Absolutely not.

Attached: goodfellas-always keep your mouth shut.gif (498x199, 955K)

Don't worry about it. Also, what's your address and how many dogs do you have?

ATF doesn't give a shit about state laws bro

Prepare to be arrested and thrown in prison for possession of an unregistered illegal assault rifle.

Just avoid driving through NYC or New Jersey and you'll be fine. I usually just drive through Eastern PA whenever I visit my gf in upstate NY. This has the incidental benefit of bypassing the eyesore that is northern NJ.

>>have to pray that NYC cops don’t pull me over when I leave my gun in the trunk
Stop driving through NYC. Unless your destination is in Long Island there's no reason to do it. 84 is your friend, user.

>This has the incidental benefit of bypassing the eyesore that is northern NJ.
Who cares about the eyesore, it bypasses the fact that every major road in Jersey is somehow under construction 100% of the time.

>have to have ammo shipped to FFL
Just buy from target sports friendo, they mail straight to your door and I've never had any issues

>do I just explain I am a resident of a different state, it's not registered to me, and I'm only here for a week?

How can you be this fucking stupid? When you're in New York, New York laws apply. It doesn't matter if you're from Indiana or India or the fucking Moon, the laws of the place you're currently in are what you need to obey. if you don't want the laws of Whereverthefuck to apply to you, then don't go to fucking Whereverthefuck. It's so simply you'd think even a complete fucking retard would understand it, but here we are. If you still can't wrap your head around this, just move to a state where pot is legal, and then bring forty pounds of it with you to Singapore.

>Who cares about the eyesore, it bypasses the fact that every square inch of the state is a shithole worth avoiding

As long as it doesn't hold more than 10 rounds and you're not going to NYC you'll have zero issues with a lever gat in NY state.