National guard thread

national guard thread

Is it wrong that I can't get passed the idea of the Nat. Guard not being "real" military. I've wanted to go active duty for a while, but college is starting to take its toll and I'm looking at the guard to get me by.
I still cant get this feeling that it wont be the real army experience Ive been holding out for

Attached: 1459483205479.png (657x527, 171K)

It won't be but you'll be slightly less likely to die for a shit cause

former guardsmen here. Its ok, you dont get the same kind of camaraderie as active, its more like a job you go do once a month which is, IMO, much better

you can switch to active if you really want it though, I knew guys that did

dumb frogposter

based frogposter
dumb fagposter

Attached: leftypol.jpg (640x345, 119K)

I know two guys who joined the National Guard to "help pay for college".

One ended up in Bosnia the other ended up in Iraq and was in that town where they burned those two PMC's alive and then hung them off that bridge.

It was real enough for them.

stupid dumb frogposting scum, go back to plebbit

The guard is great if you care about your state. No other branch except the Marines (maybe) will be called in diring disasters. Every time there's a fire, or flood you will be offered the opportunity to assist your community. That also 8ncludes randome shit like the eclipse we just had. Your deployments when you do get them are also the longest of all branches, so pay for those is dope as fuck.

Requires a lot of self discipline. I wouldn't recommend jobs just for money reasons. I think people should try to do something they consider more fulfilling to do than just doing a job for money to get by. Which is just my personal opinion.
I don't know what you consider a real army experience. I think people tend to get it a bit twisted about the guard saying it's just a few days once in a while so it's like a side job. It's your primary job and the other things are the side stuff.

I’ve been a guard soldier for 2-3 years now.

Pros:
>get college paid for in all but 1 state now
>only 1 weekend a month and a couple weeks over the summer
>some guard units deploy more than active duty
>army national guard has special forces if you want to be a cool guy

Cons:
>shitty training
>low morale
>abysmally low PT standards
>only train 1 weekend a month and that training somehow always lands on something important
>only train one weekend a month

would i be a faggot if i joined at 30?

>>only 1 weekend a month and a couple weeks over the summer
thats kinda like the reserves right?

also whats with these NG threads all of a sudden? did you guys get a bigger budget to recruit

It’s exactly like the reserves except we’re under control of the state and we have combat arms.
Also we are less shit

is it a young mans game? i just hit thirty and am bored with life. Wouldn't mind signing up

As someone wgo is currently active and in the army I wish l had gone national guard. You do the same training as everyone else at ft. Benning except you get to go home at some point.

Not him but what's the worse that could happen? You're only going to take an oath and probably have to put your life on the line for it. It's the US so you're just going to be part of an unstoppable war machine, if you die someone else will just fill your boots.

I was a POG active Marine and a POG in the Guard and I wouldn't recommend it.

The Guard is a good ol' boys club where the only reason anybody above E4 even comes to drill is to get retirement. Our entire staff at E7 and above was overweight, with maybe 2 of the officers actually being fit.

We also routinely had 3-5 day long drills, and not one of our annual training was less than 3 weeks. Depending on your unit, the "one weekend a money, two weeks a year thing" is total bullshit.

I joined while I was going to college, just to keep my time up in case I decided to go back to AD after I graduated, and now I've been out for a couple years and wouldn't ever consider joining the military again because of my time in the Guard.

I have heard the actual Army Reserves are better, but I don't have any practical experience with it.

what if I still want to go active after college and some time in the guard?

Is it easier to go from reserves to active or national guard to active?

Attached: 590.png (640x480, 248K)

I want to say that going Reserves to Active Duty was easier, because the Guard was treated as if they had joined from a different branch and the Reserves was treated like a reenlistment.

I could be 100% wrong about that, don't quote me.

Holy shit, we get eaten alive in my unit if you're overweight. We literally had this dumb female try to make an EO complaint because she thought everyone was bullying her for being fat. It's probably because our 1SG is a PT nut, guy's superhuman. I'm not complaining though, I kind of hate fat people.

Check the benefits. Since Guard is state funded, they vary wildly.
Also consider the Air National guard. It’s like the army guard, but you’re treated like a person.

For example, in my state (ND), we get tuition assistance from the state up to a masters degree. That’s NOT taking from our federal G.I. bill, which we can use on whatever. In the Minnesota guard next door, they cancel drill weekends frequently because they can’t even afford to pay their troops.

Most the e4+ I knew could give less of a fuck about retirement most people just talked about how they were losing out on money taking time off from their other jobs to do drill.

We get a lot of that kind of complaining, especially during activations and among the NCO's. But there's a lot of leftovers from when the unit deployed, a few years before my time, they take the shit seriously. Fuck you up if you didn't shave or lose your bearing types.

Someone who came from a different unit said there's wasn't anything like ours. Just the unit's culture I guess.

Only time I really see NCO's do it is when they're trying to get some of the lower enlisted to stop squawking about it.
I suppose it does depend on the unit some are tighter on regs than others and is a bit situational. Seen people dry shave on the spot before a couple times. Pretty sure they were expecting it though.

Plenty of older folks join, if you're mature enough you might actually rank up quicker.

Nah

when did the NG get deployed for the eclypse? what did they do?