I see people afraid to carry appendix. Were there dangerous ways to carry weapons before guns?

I see people afraid to carry appendix. Were there dangerous ways to carry weapons before guns?

Attached: 6fdb650e-4039-4e13-b466-01b90d6f0617_1517447928.jpg (704x396, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

leathersupreme.com/pigskin-vs-cowhide-leather-jackets/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>leather armor
le sigh

a sword doesn't usually blow up.

Guns don't usually blow up either

Tell that to Austria.

>le glock meme

>erry body had mail, plate or scale armour
Leather was most common for those that had armour at all user

>sword scabbard on back
>hastily sheath sword
>stab self in back

Sure. Just think about all the goofball places you can strap a knife to conceal it that are likely to result in accidentally stabbing yourself.

But Zelda does it all the time, so it must be okay.

>Zelda
Pleb. Zelda is the land link is the character

Sorry, but your wrong. Zelda is just the name of the game. The character is Mobius.

Not as dangerous as carrying a bollock dagger in its traditional crotch carry.

More like cloth in whatever place you're talking about. And I like your bizarre blanket sweeping statement that covers all time periods and locations.

I remember a thing with Alice Cooper saying he was messing around with a sword on stage and tryed to sheath the sword into the wrong leg and stabbed himself

>Mobius
Mo-Blin, it's like a bulldog goblin spearchucker

Leather armor is relatively scarce in history, especially among civilized people. Think about it: where are you going to get all that leather from? Leather's a byproduct of beef specifically. No other traditional livestock has thick skin. Even with this thick skin, you need multiple layers or heat-thickening (with corresponding area reduction) for effective armor so it takes a lot. Plus there are many other uses for leather other than armor. If you're hunter-gatherers, in an area with thick-skinned game, then yes, you might have abundant supplies of leather, like the plains indians who made excellent bison-hide shields that could (sometimes) stop musket balls. Also, some herding cultures that lived on marginal land lived almost entirely on beef, and also had lots of leather.

Leather was mostly used for shields, and mostly as a leather/wood composite. Where it was used for armor, it was generally hardened and arranged in the form of lamellar or scale armor (a versatile armor style which could also use bone, horn, and tusks, and therefore could be made from a wide variety of game or livestock byproducts). Leather was used *in* armor commonly, but not as the main protective element.

If you're looking at cheap armor for a typical agricultural civilization, for people who can't afford metal, cloth armor fits better. Fiber is far more abundant than leather, it can easily be grown as the primary product (plant a field of hemp or flax), and it provides excellent padding and significant piercing and cut resistance. You can stuff it with old rags, which were always being produced as clothes wore out, and sew it together with salvaged cloth from ordinary garments, if you need armor in a hurry. You can reinforce it with small amounts of hard material in key places (as in the case of jack chains to stop sword cuts through the arms).

Moblin is faster, more robust, and just plain better than Link.

Did you never wonder where the saying "fall on your own sword" came from?

I'm sure plenty of people have fucked themselves and others up by not carrying spears properly

Did you never look it up? It refers to suicide, especially of a general after he has led his men to defeat. It's analogous to the captain going down with his ship: the idea is that it's dishonorable for the leader to risk less than his men, even if his role necessitates a position where he won't be killed early in a conflict.

"Falling on your own sword" isn't something accidental.

>fall on your own sword"
It was a common way of suicide in Greece, btw. Ajax the Great has killed himself in this way.

They can't even outrun my red candlestick, moblins a shit, Lynels goat

Pigs have thick skin too. They used to make footballs out of them. You can also make leather out of most large game (deer, moose, reindeer, bison). I think you're underestimating how much leather people had available to them.

A captain going down with the ship has more to do with duty. The captain should always be the last to leave the ship and may choose to go down with it if not all the passengers and crew can be saved. He may also be holding out on the slim chance that it can be saved and thus
maintaining legal custody for the purpose of salvage.

Falling upon one's sword has more to do with atoning for disgrace or defeat, but more frequently just a decision to not risk being taken prisoner. This may be motivated by pride, to spite the victor, or a justified fear of torture and a slow, painful, and public execution.

mouth carry.

Agreed, if a skin/pelt could be used for leather or fur it probably was. Cowskin dominates today because it is large, good quality, and abundant due to beef production.

small of back carry can be dangerous if you fall on your back you can fuck your spine up

>Pigs have thick skin too.
Not really. Besides, pig skin is edible. When was the last time you had a beef steak with a crisp edge of leather.

>They used to make footballs out of them.
This is a myth. They were always cowhide leather. Before the invention of vulcanized rubber, they used pig bladders inside them to make them airtight so they could be inflated, and that's the origin of "pigskin".

>You can also make leather out of most large game (deer, moose, reindeer, bison)
Deer leather (buckskin) is thin and soft like leather from sheep and goats. You'd need an ungodly amount of layers to make it significantly protective. Totally impractical.

How many people hunted bison and moose regularly, so they'd have more skin from that than from cattle? I made my exception for hunter-gatherers and explained about plains indians having bison leather shields (they also made bone breastplates).

> "I have this sword that I use onstage, it actually belonged to Errol Flynn,” he said. "It was one of his dueling swords in either Captain Blood or one of those movies. I’m pretty good with it. I look pretty good up there like that. I’m going to stick in the stage and I stick it – through my leg. Right through my leg. And when you have that much adrenaline onstage, it hurts but it doesn’t hurt that much.”

>He then recalled how he let the sword go and swung back and forth from his leg while the wound was “spurting” with blood. “Now, the audience thinks it’s a trick, because it’s a good illusion," Cooper said. "The band knows it’s not a trick and they’re going [mimes gagging]. At the time I’m going, ‘Well, it’s in there. The audience is there. Leave it in for a while.”

>Cooper said he felt “nothing” when the weapon was finally removed – until the end of the show when he began to suffer real agony. But when he was advised to have a tetanus shot, Cooper performed his own first aid instead. “I take a bottle of whisky and just pour it on there," he said. "Because that’s what James Bond would do.”

>Even though he escaped relatively unscathed, Cooper had a quick reply for someone who suggested the stunt should become part of the show: “I don’t think so.”

leathersupreme.com/pigskin-vs-cowhide-leather-jackets/
Apparently it's good enough for making biker jackets. I don't think that you have actually done any kind of animal slaughter before.

>leathersupreme.com/pigskin-vs-cowhide-leather-jackets/
>Some have asked which one is thicker? But that really is not a good question. All cowhides and pigskins are split... I say that for leather motorcycle jackets, fashion jackets and other items you actually want a thinner leather.
So you think a biker jacket is leather armor? This person is clearly talking about pure fashion leather, that they want to be thin and light for cost and comfort reasons, not even motorcycle leathers worn to be seriously protective against road rash.