I just impulsed brought this shotgun here for 250 and apparently it can only hold 4 in the tube and one in the chamber...

I just impulsed brought this shotgun here for 250 and apparently it can only hold 4 in the tube and one in the chamber so i want to know is this shotgun good or bad?

It is a winchester ranger model 120 12 gauge shotgun and will it be good for everything and will it be enough for home protection? is there a way i can increase it to hold five in the tube or is four in the tube fine as it is?

Pic related is the shotgun i have.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-01-19-39-53.png (1280x720, 1.08M)

Pull the plug or buy an extendo.

get a smol barrel nerd

Fucking awful you should be ashamed. Sell it right now and never buy another gun you cannot be trusted to make a smart purchase and therefor are not smart enough to own a long gun. Terrible. Terrible terrible terrible. Terrible.

What's wrong with the Winchester ranger model 120 12 gauge shotgun? Why is my purchase a bad choice?

Pull the plastic plug in the magazine tube so you can put another shell in it or buy an extended barrel/tube.

Are you... canadian?

What a fucking moron.

Please tell me this is a bait thread.

Its terrible, youre terrible and you shouldnt even be owning any firearms with such bad decision making skills.

Pull the plastic plug? The end is made out of medal though. This is my first pump action shotgun.

Why do you assume that? What makes you think I'm Canadian?

Why is everyone being mean to me?

If you unscrew the barrel and remove it there should be a plug inside your magazine tube. If you want a longer magazine you'll have to get a barrel to accommodate for it as well.

What can i do to just make it hold five shells without removing the entire barrel of the shotgun? Is 4 shells in the tube and one in the chamber good enough?

how old are you?

Everyone is being mean to you because you’re on 4chins. There is a plug in hunting shotguns to limit you to two in the tube and one in the chamber for a total of three rounds. You can remove the end of the magazine tube and put on an extension to increase your ammo capacity. The fact that it holds four rounds in the magazine makes me think the plug is out.

Removing the barrel is the only way to access the magazine tube. You lock the bolt back (pump the action open) then unscrew the knob on the front and the barrel slides right off. There will be some sort of retaining clip holding the magazine spring and plug in place. Pull it and remove the plug then put the spring and retainer back how you found it. Either look at your manual or YouTube it.

shotgun descriptions lie. there is no 5shot tube. when they say 5 shot what it really means is 4+1
mossberg claims 9shot on 590s when its 8+1.
rem does the same shit their standard 870 5 is 4+1

I just took the plug off and i dont think the silver looking thing should be this far down. How do i pull this silver thing out without damaging it?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-01-20-43-50.png (720x1280, 608K)

>soiboi hand

your gun is fine is an idiot

Congrats I didn't read how many he claimed to have capacity wise. Do you have a magical way to pull a plug other than what I stated? No? Fuck right off at your nearest convenience.
You're fine all that magazine will hold is 4. If you want more you'll have to buy an extended magazine and a new barrel that will accommodate for the extended tube.

Just pick up a couple of boxes of shells and take it to the range and put it through its paces, figure out if it will work for you. See how it feels to shoot and reload. It looks fine for hunting and self defence if that's what you want it for. If you want to do 3 gun or something then you might be shit out of luck.

He's pulling ur dick, mate.

your an idiot for assuming its plugged with a capacity of 4
theres no legal reason anyone would do that

>>congrats I didn't read how many he claimed to have capacity wise
My friend
>your
You're the idiot.

Way to fuck up a brand new gun user. Maybe you should find a new hobby. Try /mlp/ for advice

Attached: 1501997032284.jpg (283x350, 23K)

get a fucking room. This thread is for bashing on OP.

>it can only hold 4 in the tube

buy some of these

Attached: Short12gauge.jpg (620x340, 60K)

cute! now your children can commit suicide safely and efficiently too, just like their daddy!

It’s a nice fun. Don’t worry, you didn’t fuck up. They shoot well. Just make sure to use something like no. 4 buck and learn how to go around corners. Get a flashlight so you don’t kill your kids at night accidentally. Perfect if you ever have to use it because you don’t look like a scary tactical guy in Court.

Attached: D4ECF729-49D9-40EB-B21D-59123AEAA9C6.jpg (640x640, 116K)

kys shit for brains

Attached: legosuicide.jpg (542x371, 16K)

:(
b-but user-kun, w-why?

I got one it isn't bad. The full length barrel kind of sucks for home defense but the furniture on them are pleasing to the eye as fuck. I enjoy fudding around with mine though

what is the barrel length?

does it have a removable choke?

what state you in?

>Buying a Winchester shotgun that isn't an m97 or model 12

I think 20? I'm in Arkansas and it has a removable choke and the current one that is on is a full.

I'm just going to assume your barrel is 26 inches or more.

Congratulations on the funnest type of shooting there is.

Go do some trap and skeet. Figure out when bird seasons are and get to killin'.

Attached: IMG_20140904_084810_312.jpg (3264x1836, 2.23M)

Attached: quail.jpg (2048x1152, 350K)

Attached: ducks.jpg (690x1224, 345K)

>will it be good for everything
No, long barrels aren't great for maneuvering in a house.
>will it be enough for home protection?
It'll work, but not great. pic related, use no.1 buckshot.

Attached: #1 buck master race.jpg (1278x532, 285K)

You bought a classic old deer hunting shotgun, user. It’s not tacticool, but not everything needs to be. Enjoy it for what it is.

Cut barrel add a tube extender and paint it black if you want to be tacticool. I say it's fine but I can understand a nigger not liking it.

I have a full blown erection over that beauty!
Gib gun!!

Attached: IMG_3269.jpg (3851x2575, 2.06M)

It's not a bad shotgun but it was super cheap when it was new, kind of an orphan, and probably only worth $150 now. You could have gotten a better gun for $250.

The 1300 is one of the smoothest best pimp actions ever made. Its one of those "best kept secrets" in the gun world. Can you articulate in a sensical way why it's different from the 120 and what about the 120 it is that you feel is lacking?

looks like a goose gun

Holy shit! Is that an actual biological female with a Jow Forums patch?

You got a good shotgun OP.
Don't worry about the samefag shitting up your thread.

Be careful with the safety. I have seen vids on youtube that showed the gun firing when put on safe. Otherwise its fine

...........what?

Great now gonna have to turn the gun back to the store because i don't want to have a gun that has the same issues as the remington 700 safety has

What? It's a winchester, not a remington

I’m thinking of getting a Maverick 88 for 200$.
Can anyone tell me about this shotgun?

You will learn soon that you shouldn't ever try to get help here. This place is just a bunch of faggots

>I’m thinking of getting a Maverick 88 for 200$.
>Can anyone tell me about this shotgun?
Now that milsurp is no longer cheap, the Mav is the new standard "cheap but good" poorfag gun. Buy in confidence.

>Can you articulate in a sensical way why it's different from the 120 and what about the 120 it is that you feel is lacking?

Doesn't have the kind of aftermaket other brands do. And he overpaid for it.

You're thinking maybe of the Mossberg 500 with the pistol grip which makes their safety not work.
...or the Remington 700.

>Doesn't have the kind of aftermaket other brands do.
Good. Classic guns shouldn't be bubba'd with tacticool bullshit. Not everything needs half a dozen rails hanging off it.

would just putting a 3+ tube extension be enough od would it need a new barrel? Also is the shotgun a short stroke or a long stroke?

Bump

holy christ reading this thread was painful

Attached: 1523335090828.jpg (750x750, 61K)

>buys a good brad reliable shotgun for home defence
>hurr is this good enuf guise

???

>28" barrel tho
you done goofed on that

>that barrel length
>home defense
user, that's a bird hunting shotgun. Home defense, you want a shorter barrel. Can you find a shorter barrel for it? Don't take a hacksaw to it, you'll want that barrel for skeet and such. Maybe the manufacturer sells a shorter barrel that will fit on it- 18 1/2 to 20 inches would be good for HD work, 22 if that's the smallest you can get.

Bump

What questions do you still have?

Take it trap/skeet/sporting Clay's.

I guess my remaining questions are these.

How good is this gun compared to Remington and Mossberg?
What exact extension tube mag can i get without having to get a new barrel?
What issues and problems are with the shotgun that i should have inspected by a gunsmith?

In comparison to what?
user, do you not see the barrel anchor that screws into the magazine tube? Please explain how an extension will work with that in the way.
Just don't abuse it and it'll last as long as a $200 shotgun.

It's very good if not excellent quality. If it uses the rotary bolt like other Winchester shotguns, it will have superior reload times to the remmy or mossy.

You don't need to get any new barrel for a mag extension. The extension will thread onto the end of the mag like the cap does now, you'll just have to replace the mag spring with the one that comes with the extension.

Nothing until you fire it about 10,000 times. Just clean it and oil it regularly.

>How good is this gun compared to Remington and Mossberg?
Better than either but without the aftermarket they enjoy. Winchesters like that haven't been made in years and the fudds of the days were weary of the aluminum receivers. Winchester used a rotating locking barrel to put all the stresses in the steal barrel and locking lugs while also using a light aluminum receiver just like an ar-15. The system works fine. Current production guns, Mossberg's are the shit but having owned a Mossberg, it's not as nice as the old Winchesters.
>What exact extension tube mag can i get without having to get a new barrel?
This would be an easy find for the common Mossberg but you're going to have difficulty finding one for the 120, try google or just leave it alone. A mag extension just replaces the mag tube cap with a longer cap that makes the tube longer. You don't need to do that.
>What issues and problems are with the shotgun that i should have inspected by a gunsmith?
Go test fire it. Did you look down the bore? If you take the barrel off and look down the barrel it should be free from pits and hopefully shiny. Try cleaning it! I have no doubt the gun is in fine shape.

That is an obnoxiously long barrel for clearing the tight corners, hallways and doors of your typical house. It's more of a hunters shotgun but it's a nice one. Practice clearing your house with it and get some number 4 shot maybe. That's probably what I would use anyway.

This is my first pump action shotgun and the reason i got this is because i always hear how bad Remington is and how old Remington ones are hard to find and hear how Mossberg is a hit and miss. I always hear about how good Winchester shotguns are and how they never fail and always work so when i saw a shotgun in the store and was told it is a winchester shotgun i immediately put my money on it and brought the shotgun at first chance because it has an adjustable choke and it's a pump action made by Winchester.

I dont plan on abusing it but i always figured that since it is a winchester shotgun it can take the abuse and blunt force since it is built by Winchester.

It does infact have a rotary bolt and i have another question. Is the shell suppose to bounce inside the receiver before it is chambered in after pumping the shotgun?

Wait you saying the shotgun i have right now is made out of aluminum?

Mossbergs are fine save for Mavericks, older 870s are easy to find on the internet or in pawnshops.
>is the shell supposed to bounce around
Yes.
>aluminum receiver
Yes.

Winchester used aluminum receivers. I'm not 100% if your receiver is or not but it probably is. So is an ar-15 receiver. Both guns use rotating locking lugs to secure the round deep in the barrel. There's literally nothing wrong with aluminum on these guns and they've both got decades of track record to prove it.

Aluminum metal dont sound good because they bend and break very easy. I should have not brought this shotgun if i had known it was made out of aluminum and not steel. I am now regretting getting a weak shotgun. Are there any Winchester shotguns that are made with steel and not aluminum???

There are hundreds, thousands, of firearms made today with aluminum receivers. Many of these firearms have to deal with pressures much higher than 12ga. They've been around for over half a century at this point and all of the kinks have been worked out. Your barrel and subsequently your chamber (the whole thing that contains the explosion) is made out of steel.

Based on everything you've said in this thread, you probably should have just got a Mossberg 500 and put as much cheap tactical shit on it as you can find.
The Winchester you bought is a fine gun. The action is exceptionally smooth. The steel barrel is blued, you have to oil it. The stock is wood and the receiver is aluminum, they'll hold up fine to normal use but aren't the best for beating someone to death with your gun and the barrel is longer than it should be for a proper HD gun, only because an intruder could in theory grab it around a corner or through a door. Realistically though, neither of those would ever happen and the longer barrel makes it safer anyway because you're less likely to muzzle sweep people with a barrel that long. What I'm saying is you bought something that's going to work fine but maybe you'd be better off with something more crude and commonplace.
Go buy:
>Mossberg 500 persuader
>side saddle shell holder
and call it a day.
By the way "old" Winchester, is made in America. New Winchester is made over sees, all over the world. I think the SXP guns are made in Turkey. They work fine but they are not as smooth or refined feeling as the old ones. They're just not ass nice but they have modern coatings and built in many ways to take abuse better.

Whoa.. nu-Jow Forums is super toxic.

>Are there any Winchester shotguns that are made with steel and not aluminum???
Okay, this was me.
Let's look at these 5 Winchester Shotguns posted there:
Top is a model 1897, designed around 1897 this one was built in 1941. It's all steel and a collectors item. I had it refinished and put many hours of my own time into because when I got it there was some surface rust and the wear wasn't pretty. In total, I've got close to $1,000 in it, not because it's "worth" that much but because I always wanted one and love it.
The second from the top is a model 12. It was designed around 1912 and this one was made in 1948. It's all steel and complete tank of a gun. It, like the 1897, can be slam fired, something you won't find on modern pump actions. It has some finish damage but I'm going to leave it as is. I got it for a steal (IMO) at $325. I love it. Both the Model 12 and Model 97 also break down. You won't find new shotguns doing that like they do either. I don't even know what it would cost to make a today with the machining that went into these but I bet they would cost an unholy fuck ton of cash.

3rd down is a model 1300, this my Dad bought me as a first gun when I was a young boy. It's very similar to yours except it's chambered to take 3" magnum shells. It shoots them no problem with it's aluminum receiver. It's a very nice gun. It was made in the late 80's.

Next down, 2nd from the bottom, is a model 120. It's exactly like yours but with a different barrel, a slug barrel to be exact. I got it at a shop in Wisconsin for around $250. It was, to me, a good deal for the type of gun that I like and I couldn't pass it up. I have, however, never shot it. It's probably going on 30 to 40 years old, idk, but it looks brand new.

The bottom one is one of the "new" Winchester shotguns. It's build the same as the 1300 and 120 except the action is not nearly as smooth. It was made in Turkey. It's a great beater gun.

Alright, just re-read my post.
This number of typos tells me it's time to go to bed.
Good luck OP. I'm not sure if you're trolling, in desperate need for attention or really this new into guns but good luck to you.
I'd like to add that 120 of yours to my collection.

I'm not trolling or anything and this is my first pump action shotgun and i have seen some of the Winchester shotguns down there. I hope to find a trench shotgun though. Speaking of shotguns i have a ten gauge custom made double barrel shotgun from spain on layaway because i wanted a ten gauge shotgun and i missed my chance on getting a ten gauge pump action shotgun that was custom fitted and built and it was made from japan because i was poor on money.

>Speaking of shotguns i have a ten gauge custom made double barrel shotgun from spain on layaway

Attached: 85406555.jpg (600x608, 59K)

It's not quite home defense material. I don't think there's a way you can get 5 in the tube, friendo. A Mossberg 590 would be a better choice if you want higher capacity.
You paid about $100 too much for it, unfortunately.
That being said it's probably great for skeet. Have fun with it.

That gun is definitely worth at least $250.
I'm not saying you'll never ever find a good deal on one but $250 is about a minimum going rate for those at any gun store I've been in.

Having read this thread OP sounds like a retard. It's ok though, we've all been there.

OP you are the fortunate new owner of what is basically a Winchester 1200 or 1300. These are no longer in production in their original form, but are still made in Belgium, Turkey and China.

It's a slick design with a fantastically smooth slide throw and are generally reliable.
> 4 round magazine tube.
There are tube extensions available. 4+1 isn't too bad in any case.
> 28" barrel
You can buy a separate 18" or 20" barrel for home defense but it might be a little expensive. You can cut your existing pne (DO NOT CUT IT BELOW 18", THAT IS A FELONY) but then it won't work as well for shooting birds or clay disks.
> $250
That's a little steep for one with that setup, but it's not a huge difference. I normally see them around $200. The 7-shot security models typically sell for 250-300ish.
> aluminum receiver
Literally a non-problem. It'll take well over 10,000 rounds to wear it in any significant way. It's like the AR15 in that the receiver is aluminum but everything that contains pressure is steel. The receiver would work even if it was made of plastic.
> chamber
Nobody else brought this up unless I missed it by skimming. Some of these were made with 3" chambers and some were made with 2 3/4" chambers. Check what it says on the barrel. It'll either say 2 3/4" only or both that and 3" shells are ok. It's very good to have a 3" chamber because it's more versatile, but if it's 2 3/4" only it's not the end of the world because most shells are 2 3/4".

Note also if you buy a spare barrel the 3" and 2 3/4" chambered barrels are not cross-compatible.

Took 5 seconds.

Attached: mmmk.png (1230x586, 507K)

I'm actually serious on it though. It is a ten gauge double barrel shotgun made from spain and i had it on layaway since last week.

I just have never had a pump action one before and only have a single shot only.

Are you a Boomer or something? Have you never used eBay and not know how auction sites work? That’s the starting bid. What do they actually sell for?

For diamond dozen bargain bin guns? The starting bid or they get reposted.

Feel free to post screenshots showing that that’s what they actually sell for, then. Until then, I’ll just keep assuming you’re an idiot.

Neat, I knew you were an idiot from the get-go so assume away champ.

ignore the trolls op.
& non-serious banter
ya done fine. if you want more mag capacity, do what this user suggests you could also swap out the barrel but you should look into what barrels or best for whatever you plan to use the SG for, Skeet, bird hunting, HD or whatever
go to youtube and look up user reviews & user mods of your make/model, watch, listen and learn

Attached: 870.jpg (2016x1512, 888K)

>semi-ironically referring people to /mlp/

Hail brother!