Sup Jow Forums

sup Jow Forums
i'm getting into target shooting and trying to pick my first 22 cal
I don't wan't to spend too much on my first rifle and since i live in a pretty remote location my options are limited
I'm considering getting either the Savage Mark II G or The Marlin XT-22
Which one do you think i should get?
Pic is the Marlin

Attached: XT-22_large.jpg (1024x384, 17K)

and here is the Savage

Attached: R3HX02Azh_74xl1Ycd7.png (900x184, 89K)

get a mossberg 702 or whatever, a ruger 10/22 or a cz 455 if u can find them cheap

like i said, my options are very limited and neither Mossberg nor Ruger are available too me.
I could get my hands on a CZ 455 but that one is double the prize of a Savage Mark II G or Marlin XT-22 were i am and i can't afford that right now.
I have no problem with getting more rifles in the future but now i'm just looking for something nice but cheap to get me started.

for reference:
I could get the savage for 500$ or the Marlin for 450$
The CZ 455 is prized at 780$
so it's not quite double but considerably more
You'll probably call all those prizes a ripoff but the sad truth is all guns are way more expensive where i live then they are in the states.

/thread

I love my .22, but I would never pay $780 for a .22 rifle. It's your money obviously but I wouldn't do it

not planing too. that's why i wanna choose between the Savage mark II G or Marlin XT-22 as they are the most affordable ones in my area.
for another prize referance point: the cheepest 243 WIN rifle available in my country costs 860$
This is just how expensive guns are here.

out of curiosity, what country?

Iceland

I got a Mossberg 702 plinkster as my first rifle. It’s very reliable and shoots just as accurately as a Ruger 10/22 . Have put about 15,000 rounds through mine and haven’t had a single issue, it will shoot anything you feed it . I got it for 109 USD so it’s a really good fucking deal if you’re looking for something cheap and reliable. Does 10 rd and 25 rd mags

That savage is an excellent and accurate 22. My brother has one, I would take it over a Marlin.
Picture semi related
Here's a 10/22 and a Romanian M69 Trainer.

Attached: 20180501_224509.jpg (4032x3024, 3.66M)

like i said before. no mossbergs here and no guns at all under 450$
thank you, i will take that into account. currently i'm leaning towards the savage

No problem buddy, good luck with the purchase.

Can you get the heavy version of the savage? My xt-22 hunter barrel has been pretty good, but my friend's heavy barrel mk2 is a little nicer with the exception that savage magazines are garbage. With a little router work, the marlin can take the 795 25 round magazines which is useless but fun. It needs about 50 rounds of the same type of ammo through it to season the bore if you try to do accuracy testing as is will improve the more shots you get in...

Attached: IMAG0295.jpg (1440x2560, 459K)

Also the iron sights on both are bad so if you expect to use irons, you should probably invest in some tech sights or something. The DIP 20moa rail is pretty nice for optics.

Attached: 1416008465124.jpg (2560x1440, 164K)

holy hell how is that CZ that much. Retail price here is 420 to 450 eur

had a savage and it was excellent. you cant go wrong.

no heavy version unfortunately. Magazines aren't really an issue for me since i will only be using it at the range and our laws dictate that only one round can be loaded at a time.
I'm guessing it's tolls and taxes.

In my area the marlin xt-22 retails for $150 and the marlin model 60 (semi-auto with tube mag) retails for $120

What country you from op?

I eat crayons too, disregard the question op

My very first gun was a Savage MK I Y (youth). Same gun but shorter stock and single shot with no magazine.

Trigger is decent, simple gun, very accurate. I still have it and shoot it today.

I forgot to mention, my mom got it for me when i was 10. I turn 25 this month.
Still a great gun. I enjoy shooting it even though I have a bunch of semi auto center fire rifles like AKs, ARs, and others

My grandfather had the Marlin XT in 22WMR. It had a sweet trigger. My uncle had that CZ that you push the trigger forward, and then it gets lighter. It was annoying to do every shot.

I have a Savage Axis. Honestly Savage can be a little rough. I would operate the bolts on both and see what feels better. Some rimfire bolt actions can be buttery smooth and effortless to work. Other's are annoying as fuck and like latching a fucking submarine hatch like why the fuck is it so hard? Some same that bank vault latch is more accurate but fuck that, it shouldn't be so hard on a .22LR. a .338 Lapua I can understand taking a lot more force.

Attached: photo 4.jpg (1632x1224, 648K)

Damn I want a bolt action .22LR. My semi auto 22LR jams at least every other magazine... I would trade for single shot in a heartbeat.

I think the Savage looks a little wonky. Especially That gay ass banana magazine sticking too far forward.

The Marlin looks like it has an open top receiver. That's the cake winner right there. I like when bolt actions has a more exposed bolt, as opposed to the ones with a little port cut out for ejection. You want to be able to see the round insert/ eject from ease. If it can only be seen from the side, that would annoy me.

My vote is Marlin.