I rapiers are made primarily for stabbing, why are they so flexible?

I rapiers are made primarily for stabbing, why are they so flexible?

When you stab something it only goes in a few inches before bending, it's inefficient.

Is it just a design flaw of modern rapiers? Were old rapiers more rigid?

Attached: rapier.jpg (225x225, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D6VB2hQJhqg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They aren't. It's a common mistake.

youtube.com/watch?v=D6VB2hQJhqg

>why are they so flexible?
They're not. You're thinking of olympic fencing epees.
Olympic fencing is a fucking joke based around tagging body parts with a swishy stick to earn points.

How far would a real rapier be able to penetrate then?

LOOK IT UP. READ A BOOK

Its supposed to bend a little bit in order to slide into armor grooves. Its not supposed to bend a lot like in fencing though.

slight bendines is not bad but rapists are not really all that bendy. similar of how people think of bones are rigid but in reality they are slightly bendy. more rigid that bendy that's for sure but by no means super solid. arrows and spears similarly are very bendy when under real stress but not otherwise. anyways a little bend will allow a rapier to find the fastest point if access in to the human cavity where all the organs are, just like when you want to penetrate something you don't go for the quadriceps or solar plexus, but find a place that is conducive to insertion.

As others have said, they do not bend to the degree you're imagining. Additionally, they still had sharpened edges and were used for slashing. To find the stabbing-only sword you're thinking of, you have to look at the smallsword. And it was fairly rigid.

>rapists are not really all that bendy
This is true. Part of the reason they become rapists is because they can't into Kama sutra.

You're confusing rapiers with fencing foils. It's a common mistake. Rapiers are actually very stiff and rigid.

Kek

Attached: 828ae8107b65241ba2564935ebd935e39e87ecb0992f3472fa57299467243307.jpg (400x300, 32K)

yeah rapists are generally pretty good at finding places conductive to insertion

>only goes in a few inches
Surprisingly enough, a "few inches" is deep enough to hit and damage some fairly important organs, arteries, etc.
Shoving your blade through a target is more likely to get it stuck, leaving you with the choice of leaving it in them, or struggling to pull it out.

I mean, Olympic fencing wouldn't really work too well if they used real rapiers. They kind of have to have some amount of give so you don't end up with constant trips to the ER.

Typically, manuals have two methods of thrusting, either you thrust just a small amount of your tip inside the enemy, a couple of inches or so before quickly retreating, after all, only 3in of penetration are enough to reach the vital organs. The second method is to thrust the person and ran the sword "up to the guard" inside of him and go into grappling, but now you've got a lever inside of him and the opponent is bleeding and you can enlarge the wound.

When facing against an unarmoured enemy, you can totally ran them through the whole sword. Rapiers shouldn't face heavy armor anyway.

Surprised neither answer you got was simple or concise. The answer to your question is...RIGHT THROUGH A HUMAN BEING.

Attached: Single_rapier.png (494x220, 51K)

All the way. Rapiers are no more bendy than a long sword, they are just meant to use the tip rather than the edge

A epee is way less flexiable than the foil still.

>He hasn't handled an actual artifact.
>He's only used cheap modern replicas.
>He doesn't know historical rapiers are much, much stiffer than he thinks.

user, I...

my sides

Which is kind of ironic since foil fencing is arguably closer to how they would train for actual duels.

Épées arent that flexible, a fleuret on the other hand