/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

/ourgook/ edition

Previous thread LYEING ABOUT MEDICAL HISTORY = GOOD
LYIENG ABOUT CRIMINAL HISTORY = BAD
LYEING ON A POLYGRAPH = DEPENDS ON IF YOU'RE A GOOD LOYER

Do your own research to start, then come here for clarification.
>No vague questions, like "What job is best?"
>Discord
discordapp.com/invite/ZJPxxTj
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

pastebin.com/0K6MFcUZ
Guides to prepare for high-speed shit. (SEAL, Ranger etc.)

Resources:
Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff.

uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
US Army High school to Flight school

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
>pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke?
No.
i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png
tl;dr: Long hard school, to do shitty work, and the job prospects are a lie.

CG info
gocoastguard.com/family-and-friends/the-helmsman/required-knowledge

Attached: 14.jpg (500x732, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/04/30/push-button-captains-in-the-navy-now-one-step-closer-to-reality/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

03 during peacetime... yay or nay

Navy recruiter said he's gonna get promoted for finding me. He says I'm pretty smart I got a 47 on the asvab and I'm gonna do CS cause I've been interested in cooking all my life. Any tips for boot camp?

Depends on if you going to fight your way into Recon/MARSOC.

If so, slower deployment cycle is going to help with getting schooling in.

learn how to crack eggs before you ship out. Ive been self learning how to cook, and still cant crack and egg without using a utensil.

Also learn how to use a french press, I know a navy officer that likes to haze his new people by making them use his french press. Also it wouldnt hurt to learn the differences in cooking knives and their specific uses.

>I know your bait, but this is some solid advice for cooking in general.

Attached: 3bdec37c769efcb0e42de1e9e527c1cfdc7c4d6335ad5e3c368d5105fd8c7260.jpg (318x345, 13K)

What the shit, there are adults who cant crack an egg without using a utensil? I learned how to do that shit when i was like 6.

I am currently halfway through my undergrad degree in International Business. I would like to pursue a career in the intelligence field but I honestly have no work experience. Other than daytrading futures to pay for everything. When I am done with my degree should I go (Army) officers or enlisted? I honestly want to do the shortest amount of time as I am 26 right now and dont want to waste (wrong term to use when speaking about joining the military, I know) since I already wasted so much time in my early twenties.

My age and thinking about being in the barracks for the first time during basic training are a couple of other things that are kind of holding me back, but the main issue is in the top of the post.

Any opinions or advice is great, thanks guys

Attached: dv7ql6seap2z.jpg (4928x3280, 2.18M)

Well, I didnt. My mother always kept us out of the kitchen and outside. So when I finally got a kitchen, i made it my purpose to learn.

Go reserves or NG, choose intel, use veteran/mil preference to get gov job working in intel for gov, or working as analyst for private company, collect two retirements at 65 or whatever age.

Dont worry about the age gap during basic, theres gonna be people your age. And youll want stupid kids fucking up, so that hey distract the drill sgts from looking at you.

It's a fucking egg, man. I hope this isn't you as well.

Attached: 1524600357740.png (720x1199, 590K)

Fear of the unknown dude

Bro, Im 30 and about to ship to enlisted basic (psych degree) asap. Youll feel old but youll live. Im going in enlisted because if I want to go officer later I can do that. In your case if you are just trying to do as short a time as possible go enlisted. Since you can get an intel job for like 2-3 years.

Fair, then again I had a (spoiled) friend call me when he was like 19 and was amazed that they put little pieces of cheesecloth/wax paper in between slices of cheese.

Im irish italian, I spent most of my childhood in/around a kitchen.

I can crack an egg, i just cant do it cleanly. I always get bits and pieces when i try it one handed, so i just crack it with my spachula while im cooking.

>Dont worry about the age gap during basic, theres gonna be people your age. And youll want stupid kids fucking up, so that hey distract the drill sgts from looking at you.

Thank you
As for the first part, if I want to do HUMINT things wouldnt it be better to go active?

Bro, I didnt even know how to use a can opener on a multi tool correctly until the military when we had those p63 or whatever can openers. At home we always had those electric or crank ones. I remember at my first units field training, people brought chef boyardee to avoid MREs, and were using their knives to cut them open.

No, because the only people that actually do humint shit like in the job description are E6, warrant officers, and agents. The job descriptions on the fliers are a lie.

Marine Corps HUMINT is available as a latmove to Cpls and above.

By the way what does recon actually do. I don't want the wikipedia answer but just what they do on a day to day basis.

How long do you think it would take a person to get in a position like that? I.e. If i learned Arabic or dari

more than 6 years and less than 10, if i had to put a number on it. Im talking about actual interrogation stuff though. Person to person interviews usually happen when you hit E4 or E5, and are language qualified.

Oh my lort. Well congrats on learning bro. Just wait till you get a hold of those really really shitty crank can openers that suck ass. Id rather use a knife than those.

In terms of /meg/ im just hoping my med waiver doesnt take months and months. Ideally id like to be in basic in the next few months or sooner. Unfortunately I also need to lose like 15lbs asap. Im thinking coke binge/meth might help. (kidding)

i'm reading about it now, thanks. I am in SoCal so camp pendleton is about 20 minutes away.

Mostly MEUs and training for the MEUSOC rating, which allows them to perform special operations tasks (HALO inserts, VBSS, etc) as needed.

Just do a juice fast for a couple of weeks. I know bro scientists will tell me to go fuck myself, but it works.

>Person to person interviews usually happen when you hit E4 or E5, and are language qualified.

I'm guessing this would still good if I applied to an intel agency after those years maybe

I don't think you're memeing too much about this but what makes a juice fast better than a water fast in terms of losing weight considering you'd just spike your insulin with anything but water?

Nah bro, if youre do what i said here and apply for cia immediately after you finish ocs and job training.

Or apply now, cause all you need is a degree, and thats all they really care for.

You know its not just fruit juice in the juice fast. I usually do 2 apples, a shit ton of spinach, and a whole cucumber. Sometimes i add a kiwi if i accidently put too much spinach. It tastes like the color green.

took the asvab today for OCS. After taking the general science I was like fugg after taking arithmaic reasoning I was like shitttt but I got a 93.

Also I only was like confident on 2 of the electrical questions but got a 132 out of 160(I think)

bottom line I am surprised

how was your GT, i assume above 110? What you trying to go for?

Going for infantry officer but some fucking kid at the same recruiters got a 99 and is going for the same thing(infantry officer)

Man I can't feel good about my self for anything

127 and infantry officer

>Or apply now, cause all you need is a degree, and thats all they really care for.
No shit?
That advice you linked right now is on top for me, but I will definitely be applying after I get my degree.

except the process for CIA takes anywhere form a year to 2 years and they can tell you after a year and a half that you didn't get accepted and you are fucked. I suggest doing OCS to boost your resume and after 2 years in apply to alphabet soup agency

Military experience allows you to not only build credentials within the IC, but begin the application while still in service.

Thats what I am doing and I suggest does the same. Yeah it might suck because you are signing up for 4 years but you will be an officer so it won't be so bad. You get benefits and you have job security for 4 years which I think is great. The pay could be better but imo its not that bad for an officer and you get to live off base

Thanks guys. That is a great way to look at it.

Hey guys, I'd like some advice although this doesn't pertain to enlistment.

Situation:
>college graduate, pilot degree (~240 flight hours)
>want to do military flying
>only want to fly a certain aircraft

So since I only want to fly a certain plane, active duty is out. This leaves guard or reserve, of which I'm fine with either one. The problem is, I need to take my AFOQT and TBAS first before I can start applying to these units.

Well I talked to a reserve recruiter today and he said he doesn't want to do all the work of getting me signed up to take these tests and doing the associated paperwork if I'm just gonna end up turning around and joining a guard unit. He basically said it's a waste of time on his part, and will also make me look bad in front of other recruiters.

Anyways, should I even care about this 'concern'? I don't need him to find me a unit or do anything- all I need from him is to get the AFOQT/TBAS done, then I can seek out and get hired by a unit on my own. But still, I don't want to be 'that guy', you know?

What do you think Jow Forums? Should I just play along and tell him I'm committing to the reserve even though it's very likely I could go to a guard unit, just to get the AFOQT done?

Have you considered going active duty, and just being shit hot and crushing flight school?

I had posted in a previous thread about earning a contract in ROTC. Is there anything else I can do to boost my chances once I'm in the program?

Attached: 1525148378580.jpg (660x355, 99K)

Yes, but that's still leaving a lot up to chance. A chance I would rather not take.

yeah do good in school and do good in PT

What exactly do 0621s do in the marine corps? Google isnt helping. Do they get to do cool shit or not?

No, they do not do anything fun from what I’ve seen.

Imo, just pick whichever one is closer to home so you dont have to drive far as fuck. I always lean more toward reserves because they work closer with actual DoD instead of being sort of an outsider with NG. But weigh the benefits. Does one give you something more than the other? I only know of my navy reserve friend who did it for the fighter pilot type job, and ended up working strategic planning type shit later on, but he was always on active status until he hit O4 and started doing a more leadership role.

Btw, contact a cia recruiter and apply for internships if youre still in college. That way your job application goes through faster since you work directly with a hiring recruiter.

I actually considered going cia for the mdso position, but i ended up working army instead because the pay and location was better.

Threadly reminder that this thread is dedicated for welfare leeching losers who will end up dying for Israel.

If I can't give structure and meaning to my own life, would joining the military help?

Well, it's common that you will form a sense of camaraderie with your fellow buddies. Especially when your deployed. But you do get a chance to travel when you're stationed which is nice. And all the access to facilities like USO, PX, Commissaries, CAC, Libraries, Swimming pools, Gyms, Etc.

I dunno, by the looks of things, I think "fighting for Israel" Doesn't sound that bad desu.

Did my first ever mock PST today for the navy. I’m trying to go navy diver.
Obviously run time needs improvement but we’re getting into the competitive range.

Attached: B5196FAD-8913-44BD-89F4-31F144C306BB.png (750x1334, 305K)

>tfw did NUPOC with a CS degree
>reading about possible new cyber program that would let you go as O-6 immediately

Going to lateral transfer as soon as I can

Attached: FUCK.jpg (225x225, 10K)

>If Mark Zuckerberg decided that he wants to serve his county in the military, we could probably make him an E-4 at cyber command
I don't think you would make it to O6 m8.
Also big4 tech jobs are easy as shit and you can easily clear O6 paygrade with stocks

navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/04/30/push-button-captains-in-the-navy-now-one-step-closer-to-reality/
Was referring to this, though it'll probably not be implemented anytime soon. Either way probably going to try to lat to IP or IW after my DH tour

One of the other articles states that they're seeking authorizations for O-6 direct commissions AND E-7 direct enlistments. I don't see this happening without huge pushback from current chiefs and many URLs

Did you fall asleep during the asvab?

*wastes ur taxes*
nothin personnel kiddo

I'm a 27 year old man who already knows how to behave in a professional work environment, cook, budget my finances, and clean after myself. Am I going to hate or love enlisting in the military?

I read that article, and i dont believe it will ever happen, and it just doesnt make sense at all. Why even comission them, just hire them as a navy civilian and give them that pay. What doesnt make sense to me is, so you give them the rank of O6, but can they even promote? Can they pass pt tests? Will they be able to perform military duties in a combat or high risk scenario? It says they dont have to do leadership or run a ship, but lets say all the officers are captured killed or incapacitated, will that O6 be able to figure out the protocols to get a ship running like every naval officer has to learn? I just dont understand why they cant just direct hire a civilian to a GS11/12 position in the navy. We already have civilians running most offices. Just sounds like they are creating a solution for a problem that doesnt exist

How smart do I have to be to become a SEAL?
I’m a top tier athlete but I’m not impressively intelligent
Will I be able to sneak past all the book shit?
Also what happens if I pass buds don’t make it through selection?

Depends on the job desu

But in general, its gonna be alot simpler than what youre used to.

Is Cavalry Scout not worth it? I keep seeing people shit on it but I thought maybe it's just infantrymen bringing bants but I can never be sure. I just wanted to serve my 4 and LARPing as a cowboy with my dumb hat doesn't seem too bad (or that much worse than what infantry does during peacetime anyways)

Heres the thing, I have never heard of any recruiters here in So Cal. Ive only heard of them recruiting from ivy league bullshit. So I am missing that part.

They send you to a new job.

Bro, you have to be decently smart to do any special operations type job. Gotta be able to do calculations for shots, explosives, tracking oxygen levels for jumps and dives, know how to work on radios and engines and shit. They teach you everything, but you gotta actually learn it. If you just want to be told what to do and not have to think, go truck driver. Easiest job in all of the services, and you get to see combat if thats your stupid reason for joining.

I think they want people who can be onboard ships. Staff officers on ships don't have to qualify SWO to my knowledge and even on submarines the supply officer doesn't pin sub warfare. That said, considering there isn't really internet on ships anyways and these people will be on land, why not just hire them as contractors? I agree with you. Not to mention the massive pushback there will be from the Chief's Mess if they're going to be putting anchors on 20 year olds who scored really high on the ASVAB and are choosing to go cyber. CYBERCOM either needs to be its own special branch with special pay to meet its manning requirements or it should just remain the purview of civvies

If you dont care to do anything like ranger or advanced school type stuff, go for it.

Its a combat job, with a unique culture and history.

Anything u wanna know in particular? I did all the research for it and have worked with them as a 68w medic. I was considering reclassing to it before i got accepted into med school with the AF.

Csun had a recruiter. I know this because i talked with them when i went to a job fair when i was 16.

Im the 350F, if youve read my posts in other threads btw.

You can look up where the recruiters are, just google it.

Exactly, i dont get why they need to make them uniformed members. Civs already work for the individual branches in all areas, so why cant they just direct hire to gs12 for those jobs?

Not the guy you're talking to, but thoughts on a former officer enlisting? I'm interested in 17C with a longer term goal of going 170A. Wasn't interested in the managerial side of things as an officer and would rather be a technical expert.

If I'm a nerd with a bachelors in computers who is interested in linguistics and cryptography and computation theory how can I use this to try to get the military to pay or help with further education in exchange for working

Attached: 1509810126064.jpg (1024x732, 209K)

>decently smart
I have a bachelors degree from fsu, if I could do that do you think I’m smart enough to do the job?

I just looked at the reqs to be sure, but if you have all the requirements met, that are the equivalents from another service branch, you can come in as a 170A directly.

Are you the navy swo?

I mention the above because, i think that all of your leadership courses will meet the requirements, you just need to get the technical requirements like the security+ cert and some other stuff.

Go into the navy as an officer in their IT or signals field. I mean shit, they invented tor.

yeah I'm the former SWO. They'd just send me to AIT to get the certs and I could directly go in? That doesn't sound too bad then. I should just stop asking on /meg/ and go talk to a recruiter

Dude you have a degree, youre not some rock smasher. Ya youre good, go for it.

I'm 20 and thinking about picking up a trade
not in the best shape

Would enlisting help me in any way when it come to work experience and connections?

Look up the reqs for 170A, just google 170a requirements. Has the list of shit you need, and if you can show you have the equivalents you wont have to go in as enlisted.

Absolutely, but what kind of trade? Some branches have better opportunities than others depending on what you wanna do.

Thanks

everything is up in the air right now desu
I'm not too sure what trade i want to pick up, but something like an electrician or an aircraft mechanic sounds interesting.

Np bro. Im surprised you dont want to just do signals or it in the navy.

I'd have to put in for a lateral transfer for the Navy and those boards are a total crapshoot. Navy wouldn't let me revert to enlisted I don't believe but I suppose I could ask a Navy recruiter

Well, if u want a jack of all trades type deal to figure out where you want to concentrate on later, go navy seabee. If you want to do aircraft mechanic go helicopter mechanic, like 15T, in the army and make alot of money on the outside.

Honestly, after you get out, trade schools are free, so if you wanted to do something else you can do that, then when you get out go to trade school for whatever.

I kind of dont recommend people to join the mil for specific civilian type job skills anymore(not that my particular job is a common in the civilian world), since i went full intel for almost 13 years now, and ive always had a tiny regret for never doing combat engineer like i wanted originally. I just stuck with intel cause i ended up liking my particular field.

Thanks again!

Not him

But i can relate with that. Im a E6 68W, and i was meeting some bullshit trying to switch over to another branch, but my rank was too high and my amount of TIS was too much. Luckily I took a shot in the dark and was able to get a contract in the Airforce for medical school. I was seriously considering switching to a combat job after 11 years in the medical field.

That sucks, definitely look at that 170A job then, who knows, you might get it. Its probably under the ACASP program if the recruiter doesnt know wtf youre talking about.

sounds neat
right now, I'm in a community college. I'm not really passionate about the degree i'm pursuing (computer science/engineering), and i don't like the idea of being thousands in debt just for some worthless degree.

Hence why i'm thinking about just enlisting, picking up a trade, going to a trade school after i get out, and moving on from there.

prob hate

The Ranger thing is my only gripe with Cav from what I seen but honestly I'm hearing some SF aren't even seeing combat nowadays, so maybe I'll just save it for reenlistment if I want to get back in and just be something else. Maybe there will even be a conflict that will drag in the basic big army troops in a few years, who knows.

Anyways, I guess I'd start off by asking how true the "jack-of-all-trades" thing is for Cavalry. I was honestly looking into 68W like you because of all the potential schools for 68W like flight medic or SOF medic training that would just allow me to pick up a bunch of skills that would also make me a jack-of-all-trades of sorts, even if I'm just a subordinate to nurses. A few anons said Army medical is a mess though so I'm putting it on the backburner for now. Back to Cav though, Cavalry Scouts on shit like RallyPoint and other military forums basically say they are recon first and foremost but since there's so little of them in comparison to 11B they tend to just get mixed in with infantry sometimes, and then there's times where say they pull security with MPs, and I can only imagine what else they claim. Any truth to that? What do they actually do most of the time? I don't really care about transferable skills, I just want to do something cool and make some friends to fall back on when I'm not doing something cool 95% of the time.

Also about the cultural and history part of it though, is it really that big of a part of the MOS? Do I have to go to Fort Hood for maximum hooah too?

you can be a SWCC

Np buddy. I enlisted originally into the intel field because i wanted to work for CIA, even though i now recall her saying you dont need mil exp lol. I even considered doing it when i switched to reserves, but that army money was too good to pass up on(my civ job is doing the same shit as my mil one).

Btw, dont discount the other agencies for work. State dept has some good shit, DHS is always hiring dudes, even the library of congress has some good paying jobs for certain fields of intel.

You sound like me, wasted time in CC doing engineering and hating it. Ended up switching to history and poli sci which led me to military. I accidently tested out of HS when i was 15 and went straight to CC, biggest mistake of my life. Joined mil for intel because i figured i was good at research type shit and was not a complete fuck up. Back up job was combat engineer if i couldnt get intel. Because i was at least good at building shit. Ended up wasting first 4 years of my contract doing bullshit before i found a job area i liked, and stuck with it. I am now in the reserves to pick up a second retirement, while i work for army as a civ to earn a living.

In your case, since you seem to be set on trade school, go navy seabee, you wont regret it.

hey guys, been on here before and a wo gave me some advice on army shit, here's the setup

>going in as 35m to get a 3 year contract
>once I make e4 reclass as 35L for another 3 years

Now here's my question, I met the ASVAB requirements for 35m, I'm at a 104 for st which means I'm qualified to do 35m but I'm one point shy for 35L. Can I reclass to 35L if I make e4 still?

glad to see i'm not the only one. navy seabee doesn't sounds too bad. I'd also consider army, air force, or marines.

Ya dont worry about the whole combat thing, thats the one topic i dont believe should be a factor in you picking a job. If you wanna do sf stuff, cool, if you wanna do regiment, cool. But dont make it the first reason to sign up.

The jack of all trades thing is true. Cav units cross train into everything, more so than infantry units IMO. Back when i was in a cav unit, the good SNCOs and officers always had me teach their squads how to do different medical shit for different scenarios. And they would have the 25B come over and make sure everyone knew how to run the comm equipment, and the 19D would make sure everyone knew how the vehicles worked and wgere everything was. Ya it was kinda shitty having to do so much repetative training, but now that im older i really appreciate how thorough that unit was in making sure everyone was capable. As far as duties go, it depends on your leadership. If you have a cav officer they are gonna be doing limited recon within your AO, and you are going to be doing maneuvers with armor. If you have an infantry officer who doesnt know how to use cav, they are gonna be treated like infantry, which is why you have some people say 19K ride in humvees and do infantry shit. It all depends on if your leadership know what cav units are capable of. As far as history and culture, just look it up on wiki, they still have their own version of EIB where you earn your spurs. And they still have the traditional uniforms for events and ceremonies. Plus word on the street is 19d are being combined with 11x anyways, but that rumors a decade old now. Might as well get in before its gone and stetsons are no more.

Lastly, medical. DONT DO IT. Army medical is the most shit of everything in the entire military. Its ridiculous how bad it is. Go any other service if you want medical, they are more professional in every single way, and you wont have to drink at night thinking about all of the horrible care that is provided to soldiers.

You sure its not 101? My info is dated i guess if its 105.but basically what you do to raise asvab score in general while in, is you sign up for the FAST course, and you retake the asvab. You might be able to waiver it, since youre intel, but dont hold me to it. Ill check tomorrow at the retention office for what the requirement is, if i remember.

>friendly neighborhood 350F

Nah bro, if you want trade skills, navy seabee. Best of the best. Navy in general has the best trade skills professionals.

stupid question: Do i have to enlist in the navy to become a seabee?

I guess you were the user who was blasting Army medical last thread, lol. Glad to see that most of what I heard about Cav isn't complete hooah, though. I'm pretty much flipping a coin between that and 11B/C now. Last question I've had on my mind, is getting airborne in my contract worth it if I'm not going in expecting combat? I heard 82nd is full of hardasses with bad knees and it really just limits the bases I could get stationed at.

Yes...
Did i misunderstand your interest, were you looking to do a civ job for the military?