Is there any reason not to use synthetic motor oil to lube your guns?

Is there any reason not to use synthetic motor oil to lube your guns?

Attached: WyeuiFC[1].png (876x452, 175K)

Other urls found in this thread:

azic.com/moisture-in-oils-the-three-headedbeast/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This question deserved its own thread.
No.

Of all the threads on Jow Forums, you choose not the shitty low tier bait threads, not the racewarz threads, but the thread legitimately related to guns to criticize. Good job, you have made a real difference.

Thank you for your cervix

Nope.

Theoretically it can damage wood and plastics, but I've been using engine oil for years and never see any damage.

Better than what you posted. Water-based lubricant would be horrible for a gun.

user could have simply started a "What oil do you use" thread instead of a one off "I'm too fucking lazy to use google" thread that's all to common here and arguably worse than the shitposting.

I grease everything with Slip2000 EWG

Never had any issues

motor oil is too viscose for firearms
shouldn't damage anything but it will cut down on velocity

What about used motor oil? Got a bunch and don't know what to do with it

You gotta be fucking kidding with this question dumb nigger. Why not lube your cock with it next time you’re fucking a watermelon, nigger

used engine oil will be the all-in-one all purpose oil of the post Apocalypse world

And here come the brainlets.

nothing wrong with jacking off with used engine oil.

It’ll work with metal though it’s not really ideal. It’s pretty bad for wood stocks though. It also smells. A product like ballistol is much better. Hell you’d do better with something lighter with less additives like sewing machine oil or kerosene.

>synthetic oil will work with metal, but is not ideal
Plz elaborate?

>nothing wrong with jacking off with used engine oil.
> t. Lemmy Kilmister

>sewing machine oil
this was the old el cheapo trick. basically same spec as gun oil, but with less additives.

the best option would probably be oil/lube for food industry machinery. Its designed for high saline enviroments so its resistant to corrosion, and it doesnt really stain, taste or is particularily dangerous to ingest

>It’ll work with metal though it’s not really ideal
Guns are never under enough stress for the ideal solution to be required.
>It’s pretty bad for wood stocks though
Not really. Back on the east coast, we wouldn't bother throwing old oil out, we'd just rub it all over the decks and wooden parts of our boats. The decks where usually soft wood, pine and the like. Kept it from rotting at sea. It will make your wood brittle like water does though.
>It also smells
Good? I know it's great stuff.
>A product like ballistol is much better
Not in any measurable way.
>Hell you’d do better with something lighter with less additives like sewing machine oil
Guns don't face enough to need anything more than a light coat of any lubricating oil. Back in the world wars they used plant oils like sunflower and rapeseed. Hell the whole industry in north america ran on rapeseed as a primary lubricant. Rape seed is now sold as canola.
>kerosene
>Using a highly flammable fuel in a device that goes bang
Confirmed for retarded. A single spark can fuck your day up, also kerosene is worst for wood.

you need synthetic metals for it to work properly

That reminds me of the episode of Sex with Sue where a caller had a boyfriend that got assraped in an auto garage with natural 10w30. I miss that show.

Seriously?
hmmm anything with wood, no.
anything with just plastic...IDK

Attached: 1525234411727.png (960x540, 468K)

I would like to add that, for the longest time, sperm whale oil was considered the GOAT gun oil ever. In fact, first generation ATF was a stab at formulating a replacement after commercial whaling came to an end. Kinda makes sense as to why good ATF makes a great gun oil.

Yes, oil will leak out. Use grease instead.

Idk about oil but I've stored guns that were lubed with froglube and it turns into fucking wax after a few months.

That stuff is garbage. Apparently it's just coconut oil and people have reported ants eating their guns after using it.

I feel like I'm doing a disservice to the gene pool, but if you use your guns with any regularity you'll be exposing yourself to skin cancer down the line.
A can of ballistol is like 5 bucks you jew.

>this is what calicucks actually believe
i come from a lineage of mechanics and shipmen, machinists, engineers and other work men, men who where covered in engine oil all their lives and seemingly none of them had cancer, most lived to ripe old ages, and those who didn't died in industrial accidents.

Despite what Californians propositionshit tells you about anything causing cancer, cancer is mostly genetic and there has never been a long term study that showed increase rate of cancer via most substances "claimed" to cause cancer. The trouble is everyone at some point in their lineage had a case of cancer. As long as you're not breathing in or consuming large quantities of pretty much any synthetic substance, and that includes ballistol (which is just mineral oil), you're going to be fine.

Brittle wood is bad for guns.
Vegetable oils will spoil.
Kerosene isn’t dangerous in the miniscule amounts needed to lube a gun and I said nothing about using it to treat your stock. Almost all gun oils are highly flammable.

Try applying that genius tier critical thinking to your own posts mr big brain user.

Anhydrous lanolin is a much better substitute for sperm whale oil.

>Brittle wood is bad for guns.
Don't fucking lather your stock in gun oil.
>Vegetable oils will spoil.
Not really, they go rancid, but they still provide lubrication. Rancidity is only a problem for consumption. Good thing i'm not saying use vegetable oil, just that you can if you want/need to.
>and I said nothing about using it to treat your stock
And no one said anything about using engine oil for treating your stock, yet you brought it up "It’s pretty bad for wood stocks though" why bring it up, if you don't want it to be a point of discussion?
>Kerosene isn’t dangerous in the miniscule amounts needed to lube a gun
i own more than an AR15, and different guns need different amounts of lube. The SVT gas system for example needs generous lubrication on it's cup, and that WILL catch fire.

Try not sucking so many dicks.

>kerosene
>KEROSENE

W H Y
H
Y

If motor oil or WD-40 or whatever it was on my grampa's M1917 rifle prevented it from rusting all this time than it should work regardless.

WD40 isn't all that good of a lubricant, because it doesn't stay for long. But it's great if you have a greasy gun you want to clean. Brake clean is also good, but has the problem of sometimes being too strong.

I've been using cosmoline.

Attached: 1520797606598.jpg (4032x3024, 3.07M)

HIGH FUEL LOW DRAG

that was before synthetics. also plenty of people smoke and never get cancer so your argument logic is specious

Cancer

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

CANNED MINERAL OIL HAAHHAHAAHAHAHHA IT SYOU BEEN JEWED NIGGERHAHAHAHA OIL

The svt doen’t require any such thing. Having actually owned several of them and shot several thousand rounds through them you have actually proven that you are totally full of shit.

Go bait for (You)s somewhere else faggot.

Synthetic oils have been around since the 70s, at least where my family lived. And a chunk of my family worked in the aerospace industry which had the sketchiest chemicals used. Also both synthetic and conventional oils are petroleum based, they're just further refined to have less impurities. The biggest thing to watch out for is benzene, but that's pretty rare nowadays in oils or fuels. Unless you're in the aviation industry. Don't stand around a plane while it idles, we still use leaded fuel.

>also plenty of people smoke and never get cancer
>>>As long as you're not breathing in....
Willingly inhaling large quantities of burning shit, is not at all the same as oil. The inside of your lung is a lot weaker than your skin.

>Haha u r wrong cos i totally owned that gun and shot it too.
kys faggot.

Attached: I came here to laugh at you.jpg (600x450, 18K)

>Is there any reason not to use synthetic motor oil to lube your guns?
Oil if it spins. Grease if it slides.

Motor oil is designed to absorb moisture, and later be burned out of the oil when the engine gets hot.
In reciprocating engine aircraft, we normally don't frequently run the engines on ground unless we have to because the engines aren't run long enough.
If the moisture isn't burned away, you start getting corrosion inside the engine.

Gun oil isn't designed to absorb moisture. Almost like it was designed to be used on guns and not in cars.

>too fucking lazy to use google
Gee what do you think this place is? Some kind of weapons discussion board?

kek

It's not like you are drinking it dummy.

That's why motor oil is more likely.

>Motor oil is designed to absorb moisture
No they're not. It's the additives that like to absorb the moisture. They're not intended to absorb. Any moisture in the engine is displaced, and usually ends up in the oil pan. Test oil from a car ran in different humidifies and you'll see the change.

The solution is just oiling your gun more often. Guns aren't under enough stress to break down the oil. The amount of humidity that oil even with a ton of additives will absorb is tiny, and the simple solution to additives is just using conventional oil which has fewer additives.

Here's a decent source: azic.com/moisture-in-oils-the-three-headedbeast/

>If the moisture isn't burned away, you start getting corrosion inside the engine.
Are you sure that's the reason? I was taught it's because the 5. whatever liter boxers aren't getting enough airflow which means they start running at higher temperatures than what they're designed for, which causes corrosion if not straight up damage. Like a cars exhaust which rusts since heat accelerates reaction between the steel and the air.

Attached: XyoEnPa.jpg (720x468, 56K)

Use that, filtered, on a chainsaw's chain. Guns can be used with motor oil, at least get one that is not full of engine burn byproducts and contamintants.

even just for your very own health for fuck's sake

Unrelated to tread, but still Jow Forums related
Is anahydrous lanolin safe for use as a personal lubricant? Asking for science.

>Whatever was on granpappy's rifle
>Sperm Whale oil holds a revered, legendary status in the minds of many shooters, especially older gunsmiths. And this is not without reason. It was incredibly durable, worked in a very wide range of temperatures, could go on thin, had a tendency to stay clean, didn't absorb water, and had a strong tendency to stay adhered to metallic surfaces it was placed on. It has reached a near mythical status in some circles today, which has only been reinforced by the 1972 whaling ban. Almost nobody under 50 years old has used it or even seen it, and what is heard about it from knowledgeable people is almost hard to believe, spoken of in often reverential tones. For these and other reasons, those few who have their irreplaceable, dwindling stocks of Sperm Whale oil tend to horde it with extreme prejudice.

It's arguable that, had we not had access to this lubricant, not only may the advent of self-loading semi and fully-automatic weapons have been pushed back decades, but possibly the entire industrial revolution would have been as well. It's hard to overstate the profound importance of whaling to the US economy throughout the entire 19th century - it was foundational. It literally lubricated the entire industrial revolution

Attached: 83AF9CA6-6CE3-4994-9AB7-34116DF16C60-256-00000068993C7D81.jpg (623x604, 74K)

>motor oil had to be designed with the capability to deal with moisture contamination that happens inside engines
>motor oil causes moisture contamination
lel

Attached: 420F0A12-F568-4BE8-B6F3-CCA2B0FDAB5F-256-0000006B280AACDF.png (1416x1600, 606K)

This is what some Eastern Bloc nations did.

>bought a bunch of surplus AK oilers years ago and a couple were shipped full of oil, and it was used motor oil, and when I read about it apparently Romania in particular recycled tank oil into gun oil

Here's the secret to oils and greases for guns: they pretty much all work. Some don't last as long, but pretty much and clean oil or grease will keep a gun libricated and provide corrosion protection. Some work better at one or the other but the main differences are how much you have to apply, how long they last, if they gum up, and if they're non-toxic. Personally I've mostly switched to Geissele's oil.

>that pic
I can only imagine the amount of degeneracy one has planned that they order a 55 gal drum of lube

Attached: IMG_0840.jpg (480x270, 56K)

>ITT
fags who don’t use their own natural lubricant on firearms: semen.

Attached: 9D1943DE-A56D-4CD9-A82F-20F0C75BDF04.gif (288x377, 1.83M)

No reason not to if it works fine with whatever you're using it on. Some guns have slightly different lube requirements. Also true that many different kinds of lube offer differing levels of corrosion resistance, lubricity, protection, or last longer. A lot of that's academic though, if it works it works.

that shit dries into brown stains and smells GOD FUCKING AWFUL
go actually suck a dick before talking about semen with random reaction images like a retarded 12-year old

>stroking a giant whale dick just for its oil
those guys had balls of steel

Yeah there was a big tag on my Mark telling me to clean it first before shooting. Completely forgot and shot it while covered in the stuff. Worked great.

Attached: 1523719635799.png (469x452, 277K)

dumb frogposter who doesn't know shit about semen, likely because of the inability to produce any for one reason or the other, typing periods like a reddit transplant

We get it you're gay.

Yes because you should be using grease for almost every lubrication point on a firearm.

I use RemOil on areas with tight tolerances.
I use synthetic 10w-30 motor oil, or synthetic 70w-90 gear oil.
Its literally better than 99% of overpriced super lubes.

Speaking from experience, tge likely customer for OP's pic would be a business looking to repackage and sell it individually at a mark up.

>knowing basic functions of the human body and not being a frogposting dipshit 12 year old means you are gay
whatever you say to help you sleep at night

Not really good for it
Now, auto transmission fluid, that’s feasible

>there are still people that don’t know difference between cosmoline and solidol