Falling-block anti-materiel rifles?

So Jow Forums, does anyone know why we don't see more falling-block actions in .50 BMG and up? The advantages of a falling-block action are that it's more compact, lighter, and stronger for a given size than the equivalent bolt-action rifle. Of course, it can't really be magazine-fed, but a lot of the big rifles are single-shot anyway. Why not shave some weight off and end up with a stronger action at the same time?

Attached: Firearm_actions.svg.png (1280x828, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.snipershide.com/threads/falling-block-sws.1689/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For example, the PTRD was a single-shot bolt-action rifle.

Attached: 1236119232480.jpg (1807x600, 226K)

Ditto for the Mauser anti-tank rifle, though I guess it had the advantage of just being "more of the same, but bigger!"

Attached: 1210013516652.jpg (1024x468, 44K)

Not an engineer user, but the falling block design looks like it won’t endure the pressure of a 50 cal as compared to a bolt action style version.

Just make the block bigger.

Looks like the Germans did something like that with the Panzerbüchse 39, but that was weirdly complicated.

Attached: C5763G.jpg (650x435, 57K)

But even today, Barrett produces the M99.

Attached: Barrett_Model99_1440x381.jpg (1440x381, 127K)

Why the interest in the rolling block by the way?

Bump

Attached: 3F836FDF-39B7-4766-85E9-A854B1EDB4B3.gif (250x250, 1.11M)

And even with something like the Anzio Ironworks 20mm rifles - why bother with a magazine if you can load almost as quickly with a single-shot? Most of your time will be spent dealing with recoil anyway.

Attached: 20mm.jpg (2048x1536, 601K)

Falling block, not rolling block. Rolling block is significantly weaker.

And it's just idle curiosity I guess.

Attached: A38B-Assault-Rifles.jpg (1000x585, 72K)

Falling block is retardedly strong.

Attached: 68B87953-5B41-446E-AC17-79D872E26F88-4511-00000743B31A3071.jpg (600x560, 56K)

Rolling block =/= Falling block
Not even close to the same strength

Or "sufficiently strong, with a good margin of safety built in, but now it's lighter than the equivalent bolt action".

Does the recoil and/or weight of larger cartridges fuck with the extraction or something?

Is there much of a market for anti-material rifles?
The costs sound like they would be a repellent.
Plus I’m assuming you are going for civilian and not military application.

They're definitely niche products, but there's still something of a market. The M99 is still on Barrett's website after all, and there are a few other companies out there making .50 BMG rifles.

All of these designs require a stressed receiver and are inherently less strong and/or heavier than a rotating bolt with front lugs that lock into a barrel extension.

The PzB 39 was quite simple. Lower the block by levering the trigger guard.
The earlier PzB 38 was the complicated one. It automatically opened the action and extracted the shell.

Gotcha, thanks. Do you have a link where I could read up more on this?

From forum.snipershide.com/threads/falling-block-sws.1689/
(1/3)

Attached: Specsheet.jpg (487x640, 35K)

(2/3)

Attached: Actiondescription.jpg (530x639, 72K)

(3/3)

Attached: Pricelist.jpg (487x640, 32K)

Oh shit all the old tripfags are coming back.

Attached: 1489033090750.jpg (604x516, 126K)

like half of all modern tank guns and artillery guns are falling block action.

Although it's often turned sideways, which makes it, what, sliding-block?

I was really talking more about 12.7mm to 30mm class rifles.

Falling block is simply the strongest action in current use.
Rather than two or three small lugs you are using the entire cross section of the receiver.

They're strong if you do them right, and there's been falling-block rifles made in .50BMG before, I saw a photo of some MACVSOG dude with one.

It's probably easier and cheaper to make a consistently repeatable lockup for a rotating bolt action, which is better for fine precision.
Not that you can't make a precise falling-block rifle.

There's no reason you can't have large lugs on a rotating bolt. Clearly it works, given how many bolt action .50BMG rifles there are.

That's the one I saw. Wonder how hard they are to find these days?

I own one of these, and if your loader is paying attention you can cycle it pretty quick. Not bolt action magazine fed quick, but still pretty quick.

Alone ends up being fun as hell too, if you're set up properly you can give a loader a run for his money, but it can be a little finicky since you're mostly behind the gun and not off to the side.

>why not an X single shot action
There are a few reasons and I can definitely respect the forethought put into the PTRD. Much of it comes down to reliability and simplicity. You might wonder what I'm on about exactly but remember that when you're bigger than a 50 BMG, the surface area at a similar chamber pressure means there's that much more case to stick to the chamber. Couple that with difficult situations like dirt, heat, ammo that isn't super high quality, and you want to make sure the case can extract. Imagine a nugget sticky bolt times a thousand.

The PTRD uses a rotating bolt and has a small ramp to cam the bolt handle to ensure primary extraction, video related. Setting up such a system would be possible but it I don't know if it would be as simple and as positive as the PTRD already is.

If I were to design a single shot action for AT purposes in calibers of 14.5x114 or larger, I would use an interrupted thread breech. The bolt handle would be the same as the PTRD with the cam ramp, but without the 8" long bolt body. It would save at least 2lbs if not more and provide a similar extraction system. I would keep the ejection to the bottom like the PTRD, but I would not have a port up top, instead I'd have it on the right side (normal side for a right handed ejection port on an AR-15 for example). I think it would be a little faster that way, hard to tell without trying it out though.

Attached: PTRD_cycle.webm (1080x1566, 320K)

dude are is there something wrong with your head?

Attached: 75_Pak_40_breech.jpg (3648x2736, 3.04M)

I just sat and watched your entire .gif, awesome shit bro.

Yes but the rotating action of a bolt will be able to press the round into the chamber for powerfully, possibly leading to higher accuracy

Incredible gif

It makes the weapon taller whereas a conventional bolt-action doesn't.

that gif is amazing.

yes but it stands to reason that if it can stand something like 45-70 and it can also stand something like 203mm, then it should also be able to withstand .50bmg

[newfaggotry intensifies]