Building an AR 15 lower soon, any tips?

Building an AR 15 lower soon, any tips?

Attached: AR 15 parts view.jpg (660x371, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dj15hVFy2aQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't fuck it up.

Ok

Have an IQ above 80 and you'll be fine.

Attached: SOOTCHED.webm (1920x1080, 724K)

get a wheeler punch set with the bolt catch tool, it makes installing the roll pin for the bolt catch super easy. also instructional videos online are your friend

Don't use the electrical tape on a channel lock trick to install roll pins. Except use medical tape like I did. I have a lovely scratch on my otherwise prestine lower. But it was never meant to be a safe queen. Lesson learned.

I used masking tape, turned out scratch free then I went to a carbine course with it....

Im planning on using tape, and a hammer to get the bolt catch started, then using a vice to finish it off. I already have a set of punches that I can use to slave in the takedown pins. My biggest fear is fucking up the bolt catch, or cross threading the grip screw hole.

What is going on here?

grip screw is stupidly simple, the bolt catch roll pin is easy to fuck up if you do it wrong but will generally just be cosmetic, consider getting the aero precision gen 2 M4E lower, it has a hex screw instead of the roll pin for the bolt catch

Sootch being sootch

Attached: SOOTCHED2.webm (638x360, 669K)

Wait until you see what happens to your brass deflector when you run 5.56 NATO

someone brutalizing the bolt catch roll pin, it will still probably work fine but it'll look ugly

I already have my lower. In my mind as long as I have tape covering a decent portion of the lower, and I'm not an ape getting it started, it should be fine.

I tuned my buffer and spring for a perfect ejection pattern with M855 so my brass deflector isn't too bad, I just have some minor scuffing

take it slow, those roll pins mushroom out very easily but once again any damage you do will be purely cosmetic most of the time

So for me, it would be a balancing act, between too little force, and not driving the pin, and too much force, causing the pin to mushroom.

exactly, that's why I like the wheeler punch set, the roll pin starter punches it comes with are concave and support the end of the pin preventing mushrooming. If your pin mushrooms out a bit don't freak out the rifle will usually still function just fine.

What do you mean tuned, you bought and H buffer or something? If it was such a concern, you would have gotten a piston upper

it's pretty simple, based on your barrel length and gas system length you adjust your buffer weight and spring power. I'm sure there's some sort of equation out there for it but I just used my spare parts box until I found the right combination of spring and buffer. you can also buy an adjustable gas block for DI guns but I didn't. I have a 14.5" barrel with a mid length gas tube, an A5 length receiver extension an H2 buffer and a Sprinco Green spring. this combination gives me about a 3:30 ejection pattern right inside the sweet spot.

Attached: AR15_ejection_patter_over-under-gassed.jpg (662x687, 38K)

It doesn't happen to be a BCM mid-length, does it? The gas blocks on their carbine lengthers are actually to spec, therefore requiring M855 in conjunction with the ligher, H buffer just to get it a healthy 857 RPM. I'm not sure why you're more afraid of parts wear than reliable cycling with both 5.56 NATO and .223 REM loads

Use a lsrge drill to take out a lot of material before coming in with a mill.

Attached: received_10154470237641454.jpg (2048x1152, 285K)

I meant putting parts into a purchased receiver

Is it going to be a polymer lower?

No, I bought a regular built lower from a retailer online, and am just putting the parts in.

Don't use Anderson for your parts kit. The trigger is too light and the roll pins will walk themselves out.

KNS makes an idiot proof bolt catch pin, or you can buy lowers with a threaded pin
youtube.com/watch?v=dj15hVFy2aQ

but even the regular pin isn't an issue
you can drive it in with a vice or a pair of vice grips

Install parts in lower
It's that easy, if you get stuck look it up dummy

Attached: 1381723717838.jpg (254x321, 12K)