Archery Thread

Archery Thread.

Pic related is the first "real" bow I'll have unless you guys can talk me into a non-Chinesium bow like a Southwest Archery Spyder or something.

Post your bows and discuss.

Attached: Mandarin Duck Phantom 56 Takedown Recurve Bow.jpg (1600x1600, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

diamondarchery.com/bows/infinite-edge-pro-2/
lancasterarchery.com/2017-diamond-infinite-edge-pro-compound-bow-w-r-a-k-equipped-system.html
beararchery.com/product/av83b21007r/
lancasterarchery.com/2018-bear-archery-cruzer-g2-rth-compound-bow-package.html
kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=FDSZ&name=Scythian Composite Bow
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump. I'd like to know about good bows to look into getting.

Samick sage takedown is an excellent choice for a first recurve

Yes but from what I've read the Spyder is the V2 of the Sage. I believe it takes the same limbs as well.

Attached: Southwest Archery Spyder 62 Takedown Recurve Bow.jpg (1024x1003, 146K)

I started with a SWA Spyder, just recently ordered a Win & Win Black Wolf as I'm graduating out of the newfag zone.
The Spyder is a good first bow, but I hated that it wasn't centercut.
The Sage is basically the same thing except you don't need a tool to take down the limbs, there are knobs you can hand screw.

Pick proper arrows and a proper nock point so you don't get porpoising or fishtailing. Also pick a light poundage that you can shoot all day without getting tired.

I've done archery through years and I'm pretty confident that I can provide good advice on compound bows and recurve bow shooting in both olimpic and barebow variety, so if you guys need any advice please ask and I'll help you as much as I can.

Recommend me a place that makes good custom arrows. I'm too lazy to make my own.

Do you mean arrowheads or the shaft (body of the arrow) of the arrow in itself? the combo of nock (where you connect the arrow to the string) Vains (the feather looking things attached to the back for stabilization), shaft and arrowheads?

I did archery when I was young with a re-curve but I've thought about getting a crossbow. Anyone familiar with crossbows to know if its worth it or if I should go find a re-curve or a longbow?

all arrows are essentially custom, assuming you were smart and bare-shaft tuned your shaft. i live a half-mile from a "pro-shop", and its always been a pain in the ass dealing with them, either due to incompetence or ignorance. for the hassle, i absolutely recommend just buying a jig, check 3 rivers for their clearance sales on fletching, and build your own arrows. i've build two sets of a dozen, one set for my target-plinking weight, and another set for my hunting weight. cheaper in the long run, and you'll need the skill to repair fucked fletching anyway.

Why wouldn't you get a Spyder? It's cheap and it's fucking good. Start with something light. Don't go above 35# for your first bow

Spyder is basically an improved version of the Sage.

>Why wouldn't you get a Spyder?

It looks great, but The Mandarin Duck Phantom is cheaper. Also as pointed out, the Spyder is apparently not center-cut. Not sure how big a deal that is or if many bows are center cut. The Spyder sure looks nicer than the Phantom though.

>Don't go above 35# for your first bow

Yeah I have a 30# fiberglass bow and it's about all the weight I would want right now.

Fake.
I'm borderline anemic and started with a 45 pound
What's wrong with you people? Stop recommending such low weights to grown men

Something about developing proper form and wanting to shoot accurately all day.

You use a lot of support musculature which don't see traning in the gym, nor in modern daily life. The only way to train these muscles is by doing it gradually, beginning with some light limbs. If not, then you risk getting a permanent injury.
So, yes. A beginner can pull a #45 bow, but shouldn't do so regularly unless you want to stick to compound bows for the rest of your life.

Attached: D1061_32_881_1200.jpg (802x1200, 156K)

Should I get a compound or recurve for my first bow? What sort of things should I be looking for?

apexhunting.com.au/p/r2-recurve-bow-package-starter-archery/TP-R2-PACKAGE

This is the recurve I was thinking of getting. I am a poorfag so the price appeals greatly since it includes the extras, but I dont want to buy it if it's going to be shit. Any suggestions user?

Not him but what draw weight would you get?

I have 0 idea how to work it out. I can only assume it goes off weight, in which case I am about 52kg.

Sorry for the delayed answer famalam, first I need to ask what do you want to do with the bow, do you want "plinking" with your bow just chilling having fun sticking arrows into your target for hours or do you want to become a hunter with the bow after you've learned to shoot consistently with it, do you want to learn the basics and then move onto competitive shooting?
If you can provide me these answers then I should be able to get you a nice specific answer.

Not a worry friendo :)

At the moment I am just looking to have fun and learn, shooting targets and getting accurate. Long term I want to be good enough with my bow to hunt. I am not really so much into the competition side of things, this is basically just a way for me to have some time out, while also learning skills to put food on the table in the long run. Thinking long term I would rather upgrade as I progress simply because I don't have the money right now for something super expensive, but also am very bad at stickimg to things. I hope this is specific enough user!

Alright my nigga so for what you're telling me and that I don't know neither your weight/height/strengh I'd say get a modular compound bow, they are very adjustable bows that a 6 years old can shoot but in the right settings will be effective to hunt large/dangerous game, they are meant to be bows that you grow alongside with in both draw weight and draw lenght I'll leave a couple options here and my opinion on them (I have fired both of them):
I'm afraid I went way overboard with my help so I'll have to cut this to 3 separate posts.

Attached: Calicompliantconcealcarry.jpg (243x207, 7K)

-diamondarchery.com/bows/infinite-edge-pro-2/
Diamond archery nocked it out of the park with the Infinity Edge with a great lot of settings to allow for a kid to grow into his bow, the one bow for the entire family sporting a draw weight starting from 5 pounds all the way to 70 pounds allowing both your 8 year old kid to fire his bow to your 30 year old father hunting elk up in Alaska alongside a draw lenght selection from 13 to 30 inches, it also provides an effective "Let-off" (How much the bow relieves pressure on the shooter) of 75% an Axle to Axle (the overall lenght of the bow in itself) of 31 inches and 3.1 pounds of weight the bow riser (the main body) and the cams (the wheel looking things on both ends) are also made of aluminium making it a sturdy bow that will not fail you should you take rough care with it, now the link I provided you is the Diamond Infinity edge PRO which adds an extra inch of draw lenght for really tall dudes (As in you should be doing basketball not archery level of tall) and adds half an inch into Axle to Axle, an extra 5% to the Let-off and a 0.1 increase in weight, it's a great option for beginers and the customer service under the wing of their parent company Bowtech is nothing to make fun of today it has an MSRP of 399 freedom-dollars however here's a link of that bow with a full package minus the arrows to go out and shoot after you take it to an archery shop for tuning and probably guidance on your very first shots.
lancasterarchery.com/2017-diamond-infinite-edge-pro-compound-bow-w-r-a-k-equipped-system.html
(Also here's a SAA with a thompson submachine gun barrel because that's fucking metal)

Attached: ThompsonbarrelSAA.jpg (1000x1000, 143K)

-beararchery.com/product/av83b21007r/
This is another great option for a starting up bow, the Bear Cruzer G2 is the improved Cruzer much like the PRO is of the Infinity Edge, the improved Cruzer has a draw weight starting on 5 pounds to 70 pounds and a draw lenght from 12 to 30 inches as an AtA (Axle to Axle) of 30 inches, a Let-off of 70% and a total weight of 3 pounds, it shares plenty of similarities with the infinity edge however the total MSRP of it is 399 freedom-bucks and also outfitted with a full package minus arrows in my personal opinion it comes second to the Infinity Edge due to price and AtA while offering very little improvements.
lancasterarchery.com/2018-bear-archery-cruzer-g2-rth-compound-bow-package.html
At the end of the day I'd suggest you try both bows out and see for yourself which one feels better on the same settings and of course which one of the two sport the better looking aesthetic on your opinion.
And with that my dearest user remember to support gun rights and may the love and light from the murder Jow Forumsube shine upon thee.

Bump.

I chose the PSE Kingfisher and converted it for land use because I wanted something in a takedown variant that was ruggedized and waterproof. It is not the best bow but it keeps working with no real issues. I can swap the fishing gear onto it and fish with it whenever I want in just a few minutes. I have taken 20 or so fish with it. I have only shot paper with it when configured for land use. Pic related is an excellent text for overall development of knowledge on the topic. I bought a few books and this one stands squarely above all of the others.

Attached: better.shooting.jpg (232x346, 31K)

How killy are one of these compared to modern stuff? Should I drop the autism and get a proper modern bow?

kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=FDSZ&name=Scythian Composite Bow

It's probably better to get practiced on a standard modern bow (Martin's TDs are great, all of the limbs and risers are interchangeable so you can work your way up), then start learning the differences with different bows like that.

Wow thanks so much for your help user. Sorry for getting back to you so late. So you would suggest the modular compound over the recurve? I am pretty small, around the 52kg mark and 170cm ish tall so I assume I will need a bow that's easier to work with to start off, ans build my strength on. Obviously it looks like I should go and try out both in the real world. Also, what sort of tuning do you do with a compound? Would you also need to tune a recurve in a similar manner?
I really like the sound of both of these bows; the only issue being in price lel. I don't live in freedom land so automatically the price of these two go from being $400 to $600 bucks.
Im probably asking all the wrong questions, but I think you hit the nail on the head pretty good! Your time and effort is much appreciated.

Attached: 1498882399614.jpg (720x960, 87K)

>Pic related is the first "real" bow I'll have unless you guys can talk me into a non-Chinesium bow

one shouldn't need to be persuaded to avoid chinese goods

Well to be fair both the Spyder and the legendary Sage are also made in China. Almost all bows are except the Olympic stuff which is made in Weak Korea.