Jackboots

Why are high boots, such as those worn by German soldiers in both world wars, no longer popular in military settings? I can hardly believe an association with the Nazis (who neither invented nor introduced these) could be a reason to abandon a quality piece of footwear, especially considering that some former Eastern Bloc nations (for example Russia) continue to issue sapogi as an element of dress uniforms, while giving their grunts standard Western ankle boots. So, what's the reason? Are they no longer practical?

Attached: jackboots.jpg (1280x720, 76K)

They aren't practical in the sense that unless pull on boots fit at least nearly perfectly, your foot will slop around inside the boot and won't be comfortable.

t. used to own German surplus parade jackboots

Because we can make better boots nowadays.

Isn't that a problem with any kind mass-produced boots? Couldn't it be mitigated with socks or footwraps?

Better how? I could figure that much.

They're idiots. Jackboots are supremely comfy. Laces are for faggots.

New boots are lighter, breath better, and are more comfortable due to being formed better. This is assuming you buy something like good Danners rather than keeping the shitty bellevues.

Those look like a basic roper style boot. What's the functional difference?

>breath better
Not unless they're designed to be. Danners are expensive for what they offer.

Too hot for the desert we aren't wallowing around in muddy trenches probably cost more to make too

>Too hot for the desert
Like every other boot. Jackboots breath better than every other boot.

Modern boots are designed to cut down on leather costs, and the modern makers of boots are now adding materials in now that they have a higher total cost to make money on. Lowcut lace boots are not only gay as fuck, but a mistake.

Jackboots/sapogi are higher, but my main point was militaries no longer issuing pull-on boots.

Where can I get a pair? Are various online stores supposedly offering milsurp Soviet/Russian gear legit?

>New boots are lighter, breath better, and are more comfortable due to being formed better
Couldn't these also be made better using modern technology and materials? I'm not literally advocating for soldiers to wear boots pillaged from dead concentration camp guards, just asking why this type of boot (high, pull-on) went out of fashion.

>lighter
Is that necessarily an advantage? Sneakers are lighter than any kind of boot but I wouldn't want to kick down doors while wearing them.

>leather costs
Is that a considerable factor for any first-world army? I understand that was the reason during WWII, but with current military spending it's hard to believe the cost of proper boots would be really noticeable.

>but with current military spending it's hard to believe the cost of proper boots would be really noticeable.
You the soldier/sailor are responsible for getting those fuckers on your own. And the choices are extremely limited based on regs.

Garmonts near your sheets

Rocky S2Vs in the streets

>Marching downhill
>Get hiker's toe

Attached: DSC_0513[1].jpg (1600x1064, 351K)

>Jackboots breath better than every other boot.
>solid strips of black leather breathe better than synthetic mesh materials

Attached: sl373478-quest-4d-gtx.jpg (800x500, 68K)

>Couldn't it be mitigated with socks or footwraps?
I guess if you enjoy wearing two pairs of socks all the time, or wrapping your feet in fucking washcloths, sure.

Because compared to modern combat boots, they generally suck significantly more in every regard.

This is now a /bootgeneral/ thread. I tried on Merrell Moabs yesterday for the first time and they were instantly comfy as fuck. What's the longevity of those things?

Hello /v/

i can imagne them coming off easilly when they step in mud or also getting filled with water

Is that scene from a fetish video?

Also, in general I would say that thanks to synthetics, laced boots are probably easier to manufacture for the whole of an army. Jack boots might be more comfortable if the fit is just right, but laced is easier to make and hand out on a massive scale. I'm not sure though. I remeber reading somewhere that the German army switched to ankle boots in both wars in part because of leather shortages.

>the German army switched to ankle boots in both wars in part because of leather shortages.
Leather shortages was the sole reason both times they made the switch.

>high pull-on boots
FDF uses wellingtons in the swamplands of Finland, does that count? :^)

Attached: finn-13[1].png (469x564, 271K)

>wellingtons
So do some african forces in the subsaharian jungles
I don't see why not

they're just not practical. they're heavy, fit badly, expensive in leather and even teh germans had ditched them by the end of ww2. you will only get a certain level of fit in a boot that you can't manually tighten with lacing.

modern boots are lighter, faster to make and more comfortable, and can be made to suit a wider variety of specifications and environments. this is why no one uses jackboots in the field anymore.

Really? I thought rubber boots are popular only in the northern climate - Scandinavian countries, Russia, Canada.

in certain environments those are obviously more practical. in others not so much.

No, they use them in the pacific too. In areas that get really wet, they're pretty popular.

Attached: updf-troopsap.jpg (550x413, 69K)

so are jungle boots. africans in general is hardly a recomendation.

Traditionally: High boots are for cavalry, short boots are for infantry. When you ride a horse you want higher boots. Anyone who rides horses will know exactly what I mean. The traditional German infantry boot was only 12 inches high by the end of the war or even shorter due to material shortages. German armies liked the taller than normal for infantry for traditional reasons but not as high as traditional cavalry boots. They did not like laces. Now days shorter laced boots that reinforce your ankles are the way to go. Lighter but still effective.

Leather is fucking expensive yo.

How many wars are being fought in cold marshs and muddy fields in northern Europe? I couldn't imagine wearing rubber boots in the middle east or Vietnam. Feet would just waste away. At least for me as a white guy my feet already get hot in regular boots.

Of all places Vietnam would probably one of the better ones to have rubber boots in due to the moisture. Wet feet are always worse than hot feet.

They slip off and get stuck in mud

Nope, because rubber boots in the jungle get you jungle rot. They trap in every bit of heat and moisture that gets in or that you sweat out. It's like locking your feet in a bucket of fungus and bacteria, you're much better off with boots that are breathable and allow water to flow out.

If you're wading through a paddy it doesn't matter if you have jackboots. Water won't stay out, and you're better off ensuring it'll evaporate out.

Attached: 80751286.jpg (427x612, 59K)

Noots like these were a regular go to boots in pretty much every Eastern European country. Just look up any folk costume from there. Might as well ask yourself why do people wear modern shoes.

They are lighter and do the job better even though not as cool

I had a pair of Merrells as my everyday shoe for three years in a tropical country. Forgot the model (aired them out back home) but they are comfy, well-ventilated and water resistant.

I swear by them. My lard ass can get up relatively "rough" terrain in supreme comfort with them.

Just put down a deposit on a pair of leder arsenal boots.
Also those Soviet boots weren’t all leather, only the foot was. The shaft was a rubberized canvas and the sole was rubber. Gross

Attached: F2265585-8AE3-4C6C-89BA-23C4F241768E.jpg (512x557, 24K)

>but my main point was militaries no longer issuing pull-on boots.
They do. It's just that they're made from rubber and they are solely field equipment for wet and/or cold conditions.

Those are such good looking boots, it's a shame you can't wear them every day.

>putting down a deposit on a pair of boots
hows that ramen tasting

Get it, the SOLE reason

lololololol

i really like these. is there a non waterproof version for the desert? anyone?

Mine lasted 2 years of mostly being on my feet in a factory+ my monthly larperating trips in the desert.

Mind you mine got busted right where my wide ass feet put additional stress on the boot it's self (didn't have the ability to try on the wide version, decided fuck it). I say go for em. They aren't so expensive you'll cry after a year or two of use anyhow if they die on you.

>Not being able to afford bespoke footwear from European cord-swain
You tell me, peasant

ayyyeeeee

I'd probably assume most military's don't use them mostly due to the fact that they are expensive to produce, and common associations with authoritarian ideologies like fasicm and communism. take a modern pair of well made leather shoes as example, they typically will cost at lest as much as ankle boots and will need some kind of water proofing done so they don't get soggy which will reduce the boots breathing some.
as for people bringing up the fitting of jackboots its quiet an easy fix just get some decent insoles be they felt or regular modern ones and wear two pairs of socks or two pairs of foot wraps and the problem will be negated with out making the process of putting the boots on a pain in the ass, and will help with the boots possibly being sucked off your feet, as for being to hot i call bullshit i've worn my Finnish jackboots during the summer during every day life and so far have been fine (inb4 your an autist rant i pull my pants over the calf of the boots).
also inb4 ankle boots give ankle support, while that maybe true jackboots allow unimpeded movement of the ankle when broken in and give great calf support which is nice if you are doing lots of walking or running.
In my personal opinion what boot one chose is down to personal preference both have benefits and draw backs either way you slice it.

>The smell of shoe polish

Attached: taxidriver-smile.jpg (853x480, 67K)

for reference i live in ct so not exactly a desert climate but it does get decently warm in the summer lows typically being around 70F average around 80F-85F and highs being around 90F-95F with humidity typically being around 50% or higher

They still breathe even though they're water-resistant. I have a pair of the X ultras and I hike in Arizona. I've never had a problem with my feet getting too hot or sweaty. I see Lowa Zephyrs being suggested for desert hiking a lot too.

Attached: L36678000.jpg (680x680, 87K)

>solid strips of black leather breathe better than synthetic mesh materials
You fucking rethard, natural materials do breathe better than synthetic shit. Synthetic is hell.

Bad for PR
Everyone associates them with nazis or jackbooted thugs

Attached: smug atf.png (796x934, 728K)

Yeah man,

No way in 2018 we've got materials and techniques to build a boot better suited to desert warfare than a medieval cobbler.

kys

dumb frogposter

The only thing I hate more about a shitmouth calling others retards for no reason is a shitmouth who's fucking retarded himself.

>What is a jackboot
A high boot without lacing, typically.
Now
>No lacing
Not a problem for riding boots (wellington boots, cowboy boots, etc.). Quite problematic for a walking boot though. Lacing allows easier, better, adjustable fit and makes it easier and quicker to put them on and of. There were riding boots with lacing even, for people who wanted the best of both designs. Laceless boots are easier to produce though and a bit easier to clean after going through mud etc. (and they're probably a bit more watertight, since there's fewer seams.)
>High shaft
Protects in higher water or snow and doesn't let debris in easily.
However, it is heavy and expensive (when made from leather). Its function can be largely substituted by gaiters, which can also be removed when not necessary. It doesn't breathe as well (I'm not going to respond to anecdotal evidence. Material being there cannot breathe better than material not being there, period.)

Now what has changed since the time we used jackboots? First, we're not doing much trench warfare anymore. Standing around in water or mud for a long time doesn't happen much. And if it does, they usually have the transport capacity to bring rubber boots (which, again, were not a thing the last time jackboots were really popular). Gaiters became better. Producing laced boots became more affordable. Basically, all of this conspires to make the jackboot less popular and the low/mid height laced combat boot more popular.

Attached: 28_0.jpg (400x577, 28K)

I don't think you realize how quickly hot feet become soaking wet with sweat.

T. Former wildfire fighter

>He doesn't numb all the sweat glands on his feet

No feet spotted

>Solid impermeable leather breathes better than nylon mesh

Attached: 1524530430720.png (499x338, 38K)

Because helmets were invented.

Attached: jackboot.png (440x438, 405K)

>You fucking rethard, natural materials do breathe better than synthetic shit. Synthetic is hell.
This is like saying "plastic is shit metal is better" and completely ignoring the fact I can beat you to death with a plate of ballistic HDPE while crushing a tin can in my other hand to prove you're wrong.

I bet you've never had to wear work boots on a day to day basis ever in your life

Join the military or get a construction job and come back to me with your retarded "Rubber is more comfortable" bullshit

you speak the truth.