Aluminum vs brass

what are the dissadvantages of using aluminum instead of brass in ammo?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1014x723, 125K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nJshjMyg6no
gd-ots.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/30x173mm-Ammunition-Suite-MK44-Cannon-Version-3.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>advantage: trolling brass jews
>disadvantage: none

Cant be reloaded. some guns don't like. typically aluminum cased ammo is of lower general quality then brass ammo which may mean lower accuracy, dirtier rounds, and increased QC failures.

Which one is cheaper, lighter, and less likely to blow up in my face?

Fpbp. There is no downside to aluminum cased ammo.

>typically aluminum cased ammo is of lower general quality then brass ammo which may mean lower accuracy, dirtier rounds, and increased QC failures.

Source

I've seen the case rim tear upon extraction with Blazer Aluminum cased 9mm. Resulted in stovepipe jams every 20 rounds or so. Was on a S&W 3913 9mm pistol my father owns.

Wasn't a big deal. Just pull back the slide and let the casing fall out and continue shooting. I wouldn't use aluminum case for a defensive carry load but for plinking it is fine.

Isn't overheating a bit of a problem with aluminum cases?

>as result of the selective pressure, the brass jews have developed the ability to metabolize aluminum casings as well

What do you mean by overheating?

Not him, but one of the big advantages to brass cases is that they absorb quite a lot of the heat of the round going off, and then take it with them upon extraction. Aluminum and steel don't absorb as much heat, which is then transferred to the chamber/barrel.

I shoot about 500 rounds of federal aluminum cased .45 a year and never have any issues. You are wrong

I'm a bit concerned because aluminum oxide == sandpaper.

I found I had feeding issues with it compared to brass cases, might be the metal is just abrasive enough to slow down feeding

Pic related

Attached: IMG_4190.jpg (2629x1537, 1.25M)

>this nigger again

Then use more clp

It's cheaper and lighter but I've heard that it's unsafe for use in full auto due to aluminum having a lower melting temperature and case deformation is more likely due to being a softer metal.

The military has no problems runnign aluminum cases in their FA guns.

I thought the .mil types used steel, nickel plated brass, and brass.

None generally, but you cant reload them and some firearms mysteriously develop feeding or ejection issues with it

Big autos like the GAU-8 use aluminum cases.

My "friend" Robert will say aluminum is a good sign of shit ammo that will break you gun. Guy also routinely trades in all of his guns at pawn shops just to make sure he pisses away his money and stays poor

>give me a source quantifying how much better mid priced to cheapish bargain ammo is than the cheapest bargain ammo for a given brand
No. Anecdotally speaking i hear of them suffering from case failures, squibs, and reliability issues more than most brass ammo. If you expect me to pull a peer reviewed study out of my ass then go fuck yourself.
i've shot at least a couple of thousand rounds of steel case without any issues. Doesn't make it as clean and consistent as your average domestic brass ammo though.
Oh, are you the perpetrator of that drivel or just a victim? I remember that shit show from the other day. It's almost certainly the lubricity of the casing and it's coating if it has any. Grab a box of aluminum, Winchester forged, tula, and brass. IME rather consistently the forged causes the most issues, followed by aluminum, then tula, then brass, then nickel(dont bother). Unsurprisingly just examining these cartridges in the hand ranks them in the same order by apparent friction when rubbed. That "dry lube" lube on winchester forged is like calling tooth paste mixed with sand a personal lubricant. Really wouldn't worry about the wear, if it was a big deal people would be bitching about it. worry about what functions in your gun. I find tula is a pretty good balance in this area but some guns really don't like to run on anything that isnt brass.

But thats got seven barrels with seven actions so each barrel only fires at around 557 rounds a minute for a second or two. That's not enough to significantly heat the action to a point that the case would melt, especially when you factor in cooling from the air coming in due to being on a fuckoff huge plane going pretty quickly, relatively speaking.

Aluminum is an issue in something like a MAC-10 or an M-60.

I ran two boxes of pic related through my LC9S with ZERO issues at all, but that may not happen with everyone of course. I picked it up at Academy or something a while back for dirt cheap. Shoot away user...they work just fine.

Attached: 758417A0-F710-43CD-94CB-E9C3814B283B.jpg (500x500, 43K)

Had a bersa that would feed anything you gave it, but would jam every couple rounds with steel.

pro: pronouncing it al-yu-minium bothers the hell out of stupid people
con: Federal sends hickok a million rounds a year and never these things with no explanation why

Most aluminum ammo has a coating. It isn't bare aluminum.

This, the Gau-8 is exposed to hurricane force winds which offers great cooling in addition to the rate of fire being divided by 7 considering there are 7 barrels. Each barrel doesn't have to do very much work.

>I wouldn't use aluminum case for a defensive carry load but for plinking it is fine.

GEE, REALLY?

silver cases look the coolest

Attached: federal_hst_ammo.jpg (600x400, 153K)

Honestly, there's nothing better than telling two brass Jews that you don't give a fuck about your brass and that they can have it. Then, you get to watch them passive aggressively fight over what is pretty much garbage on the ground.
>pick up my garbage faggots
Good times.
t. Younger guy at a fudd range

>nickel, nikka!

Wtf is that barrel from?

How is it on extractors? I was told not to shoot steel case because it expands more than brass when fired, this making it harder for the extractor to pull out which can lead to excessive wear and damage. I would think aluminum would be worse since it's a softer metal.

A lack of neck tension. There's a step in the thickness of the case at about halfway that most of the projectiles are resting on.

Attached: PicsArt_05-07-01.34.49.jpg (2643x1982, 673K)

There was those one new cases that came out with the steel bottom for the primer/base of the cartridge and aluminum side walls. A lot of people would say that but it just sounds like a lot of semantics because it's not likely brass is removing any heat, the brass is already warm from the detonation in it. Gun barrels heat up REALLY fast. I doubt the difference if any is maybe if you're firing off dozens of rounds consecutively without pause.

If you are thinking about chamber heat, that probably is borderline fuddlore issue, if there is such a problem, maybe we could have it in automatic firing guns.
When i do rapid fire on my shotgun and i put my hand on the chamber section of the barrel, is almost cold compared to the untouchable-hot rest of the barrel. And shotshells are made of heat insulating plastic and washed steel.
Try it your own.

and even if autism strikes anyway, aluminium is a great heat dissipator, just look at what heatsinks are made of mostly.

>No.
>I go off word of mouf and other niggerardom wives tales given third hand

Well arent you just a huge faggot. Must be a fudd.

Brass and aluminum have a very similar hardness. The difference is in malleability. Aluminum is more brittle than brass thus more prone to cracking than expanding. Thats why it isn't recommended for reload. Aluminum is as hard on your extractor as brass is.

>brinell hardness brass 100
>brinell hardness aluminum 95

While your statement holds true I find the difference to be negligable.

Steyr M1912

Attached: Steyr 1912.jpg (3264x2448, 3.31M)

>Pick up that brass.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=nJshjMyg6no

I've run a case of aluminum blazer 9mm and several cases of steel wolf 9 through my m11/9 without issue.

I've shot about 3k rounds of aluminum through various pistols and have yet to have a malfunction I can attribute to the ammo.

>when you fart so hard it clicks Post

It's fine for relatively low pressure rounds (e.g. 9mm, 380 ACP, .45ACP, etc.) but cannot be used on high pressure rounds.

During the 1970s, the US Army conducted the 6mm SAW program and developed the 6x45 steel case and 6x50 Aluminum case. In order to meet the same capacity as the steel cased cartridge, the aluminum case was increased in size to compensate for the special heat resistant polymer coating on the INSIDE of the case (which, reduces case capacity). This coating had to be added because, at higher pressures, the aluminum cases would catch fire.

Many in the this thread will cite the use of the 30 mm GAU-8 using aluminum casings and that this disproves the burn through problem. This would make sense, if we were arguing of external residual heat from the firearm itself and rapid fire. To my knowledge, this is no greater a problem then normal brass/steel rounds and you will more than likely see a cook-off before case burning from said scenario. Given that the newest GAU-8 30x173 rounds operate at ~50k PSI and 5.56x45 at 55k-62k PSI, you can start to see why the higher pressure rifle rounds may be hitting the limit on aluminum casing burn through pressure (not to mention, 30mm might already have a similar heat resistant polymer inner lining like the 6mm SAW from the get go).

In the end, you could chamber pretty much any round in aluminum casings and be safe. But, this will require a downgrade in pressure or a decrease in case capacity with the addition of protective liners. Most handgun cartridges should see equal performance though (outside of P+ and wildcats, that is).

Source on 30x173 mm pressure rating:
gd-ots.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/30x173mm-Ammunition-Suite-MK44-Cannon-Version-3.pdf

Full of shit. Its cost less because aluminum is not as expensive as brass. Your post is a fart.

Aluminum is very good at heat conduction.

Now that I think about it, I've never seen aluminum .223, .308, or any other rifle caliber for that matter. Surely, Federal would have a cheapo line of aluminum .223 if it was viable.

Attached: thinking.png (600x600, 59K)

Attached: dumbdumb.png (625x773, 111K)

I believe i had some aluminum cases in a bag of range brass i grabbed. Bright, shiny "white" metal. There was zero tarnish and it wasnt the usual grey of steel cases. I didnt check it with a magnet, but im assuming it was nonferrous as the range brass was magnetically sorted to remove steel cases. I might have one laying around in my dud bucket. Will photo when i get home.

Only ever tried it in my buddies 92FS and it jammed every other shot till we switched to my 124gr brass ammo, only time I’ve used it or seen it used