>everything going great
>time to put in gas tube pin
>fucker just doesn't want to go
>pinch end of pin to help it get started
>fucker still won't go
>look at pin
>metal is shearing off the OD of the pin

This shit can't be normal right?

Just ordered some roll pins off McMaster.

Attached: doublenigger.jpg (1920x1080, 273K)

Not normal. Take a drill index kit and determine the actual ID of the hole and figure out if it's your GB or pin that's fucked

are you sure its the right rollpin? maybe you got its mixed up with another one from the lower

assuming it's the right size pin lube it up and use something as a slave pin to line everything up while you drive it in

you sure the pin and hole arent tapered

PSA has always given me oversized roll pins

I've never had this issue. I don't even remember any of my roll pin installs, that's how minor it was

I had major trouble with that part too. I wound up just giving it to a guy at work to do it for me, which he said took like 5 seconds. I don't have a good set of tools or a good setup to work on guns but my god what was I doing wrong

It's the one that came in the sealed bag with the gas tube so I sort of assume so.

Probably will do if the pins from McMaster don't work (purchased .078")

It's a roll pin, don't even know if you can get a taped roll pin.

Have you ever driven a tension pin in before? I find people don't have a clear understanding of how much or little force to apply to things

OP here:
>sheared metal off the pin (symmetrically, so I doubt I'm just driving it to one side)
>bent one of my starter punches

I think I hit it hard enough.

No, but I feel like I'm handy enough to be able to pull it off if I had a proper set of tools and a vise instead of trying to do it on the floor of my apartment

Yeah up till now this has always been my situation. Lower went together in like 15 minutes, all the handgun roll pins I've ever fucked with have been easy. I'm pretty sure I just got an out of spec pin.

Attached: 1507015784004.png (1017x1162, 270K)

maybe the gastube shifted and isnt aligned anymore

I had this issue. I bought a longer pin so I had more grip area- took all of 5 seconds to seat it- chopped the remaining bit with my dremel and dabbed it with a bit of perma-blue while it was still hot.

Something is out of spec there, that being said those can be a big pain in the ass even with the right tools. A set of roll pin punches, the ones with a little bump on the end that keeps it lined up with the pin, help a lot. That and a vice with two blocks of wood to firmly hold the gas block without damaging it.

This, commercial spec and mil don't mix

McMaster .078 will work fine. I went through the same shit, have 249 roll pins left over.

What's the matter OP? Didn't you know that building AR15s is like legos?? Now, don't tell me you don't know how to assemble legos

Attached: 1512270273144.jpg (256x197, 7K)

>It's a roll pin, don't even know if you can get a taped roll pin.

Traditional FSP gas blocks use tapered roll pins you retard, and they can only be drifted in/out in one direction.

>Am I just retarded?
>assembling AR upper
Yes, only a retard would assemble his own guns instead of buying them.

>tapered roll pin

How can someone be this stupid?

Actually those are just plain taper pins

This happened to me. All I did was bevel the end of the pin with a file. Once I have removed enough material it went right in with a few whacks.

By the way, you're not supposed to drive the pin in with the starter punch. You're just supposed to start it. Once you get it in the hole you should switch to a regular punch or you will obliterate your starter punch.

Talking about the gas tube pin (holds the tube to the block) not the gas block pin holds the block to the barrel).