Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DK6IGG5zRU8?t=66
theverge.com/2018/5/4/17318080/criminals-drones-swarm-fbi-raid
mydronelab.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Military-drones-categories.jpg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_shielding
needsmorejpeg.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_pumped_flux_compression_generator
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If it worked it would work once, it's too easy to figure out a way to stop. A high altitude drone with hellfires on the other hand is highly effective and very difficult to stop.

Because we already have big shaped charge drones that can do all of that.

Attached: hellfire.jpg (480x319, 17K)

The basic problem is how to control it

If it's autonomous, the swarm might just wander off and kill all of your guys.

If it's not autonomous, then you need an obscene amount of bandwidth and an obscene number of pilots to coordinate everything.

youtu.be/DK6IGG5zRU8?t=66

beat me to it. watch this video op.

it's already being done. isis has been using cots drones with modified 40mm grenades and rockets for conducting sometimes massed assaults against syrian forces. see AWST 04/23/18 i believe for details.

for a conventional army, there is an issue as to why, when you can achieve much the same results quicker with artillery fire/other arms. generally drones are used for istar instead.

your gonna make me dust of the old AA arnt ya?

Attached: -a127_11-ark-1-1.jpg (513x400, 40K)

That's basically what a javelin is

Laser Anti Air is effective against small drones. Semiautonomous drone swarms would change the face of combat.

no joke, that's exactly what is having to be done. counter-drone that is affordable is a tricky thing, and probably the number one current motivation behind bringing lasers to the battlefield.

Your $500 drone will be stopped by a $5 net.

That's fucking terrifying

You tards dont think this is real right?

The concept is freaky.

From what I understand China is already looking into drone tech and fiddling around with the idea of swarming cheap drone unlike American drones which are expensive manless airplanes

>you guys know this blatant warning of weaponized future technology isn't real right?
No shit

>old ww2 flack batteries being re-deployed in 4th gen asymmetrical warfare
I see nothing wrong with this

>American drones which are expensive manless airplanes

not correct. the us fields drones from the size of global hawk down to quadcopters at the squad level.

the issue with the smaller drones is security. most are cots and made in china. so they need to have no onboard recording systems in place. also, whether or not these things can survive contested radio space is another question. not a lot of point if you can just jam the fuckers.

what a time to be alive

theverge.com/2018/5/4/17318080/criminals-drones-swarm-fbi-raid

Attached: drones.png (1127x637, 497K)

Because a fully autonomous drone with capability to kill is a new concept all of a sudden?

Attached: 15DayEarth.jpg (1920x1080, 188K)

No more like the fact that the tech is actually feasible.

wow. thanks user, perfect.

>missed the obvious foreshadowing

Some days I find myself thinking that this is the worst timeline. Today is not one of those days.

oh dear god im Jow Forumsumming from just thinking about the aesthetic

>what is a breeze

I win. Ill take potent potables for 200 alex.

fug forgot to link

Drones work in all weath...

Attached: DSCN8071.jpg (3264x2448, 1.66M)

how does a super pro gun hermit bong like me move to Alaska so i can live in the woods

>drones are available to anyone and anywhere
>NO ONE in the world are using signal jammer to kill it
one fucking job people

>it's another day/k/are quadrocopter thread
I swear to god, I wish these things were never invented because you people NEVER FUCKING SHUT UP ABOTU THEM. THEYRE TOYS, THEYRE NOT USEFUL ON THE BATTLEFIELD FOR A FUCKTON OF REASONS. FUCK OFF.

Attached: death by rage.jpg (229x343, 23K)

HOW MANY TIMES ARE WE GOING TO DEBUNK THIS VIDEO BEFORE YOU SHITNIGGERS STOP POSTING IT?!?!?!

Attached: 1520492567877.gif (400x204, 44K)

>attaches mesh to AA guns using airbursting 20-40mm HEAP rounds with CIWS targeting computer
>has basic concept of SIg warfare
>just goes with broad spectrum jamming
>giant wire cage filled with trap shooters with shotguns and a hell of a lot of bird shot
>trains hawks to attack anything that flies, reward them with meat, so far outside of drones targeting parameters they don't know what to do, too fast even if they did.

The Key is surprise. If the enemy sees it coming a half kilometer off then they can lay down enough MG fire to tear the swarm apart.

So you lay them down like minefields. On a coded signal, the drones pop up and follow two rules. #1, do not close within X distance of another drone (indicated by IR strobe). and #2 approach the nearest heat signature hotter than Y and larger than Z and detonate.

Now, chances are you'd still not be all that effective. It's more of a defensive tactic after all. HOWEVER, this tactic would also be GOD DAMN TERRIFYING (yes, I'm channeling shoddycast) especially when you activate the drones when an enemy unit is right in the middle of the field.

And honestly? Isn't breaking the enemy's will the important part?

did you watch till the end user? its a computer scientist warning that something like this may one day happen. goddam user is a tard.

An autonomous drone wouldn't need a signal. And signal bandwidth is what makes swarms of remote controlled stuff difficult.

I'm into RC drone racing. It takes coordination just to get 8 people in the air simultaneously and not have signal interference issues with control and video feeds.

from Military Tackles the Problem and Potential of Drones, Aviation Week and Space Technology, Digital Edition, 04/23/18.

Attached: FireShot Capture 199 - Aviation Week & _ - file____C__Users_Ultramarine_Desktop_AWST_AWST_180423 (878x557, 179K)

>quadrocopter thread

mydronelab.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Military-drones-categories.jpg

>forgets that there are other types of drones

selected excerpts only i am afraid

Attached: FireShot Capture 200 - Aviation Week & _ - file____C__Users_Ultramarine_Desktop_AWST_AWST_180423 (309x623, 63K)

Attached: FireShot Capture 202 - Aviation Week & _ - file____C__Users_Ultramarine_Desktop_AWST_AWST_180423 (546x456, 104K)

good luck

Attached: The All Mightly.jpg (750x531, 45K)

BUT IT CANT. WEVE DISCUSSED WHY LITERALLY DOZENS OF TIMES. EITHER YOURE RETARDED OR ON OF THE MILLENIAL COLLEGE KEKS WHO MADE IT.
F U C K
O F F

Attached: VERY mad frog reeeing at incredebly hihg speed.jpg (250x250, 6K)

Someone post that webm of ISIS using a drone carrying a mortar to drop it straight on top of a vehicle crewmember, I think it as a BMP

If it was going to be a suicide drone that dive bombs a target a quadcopter would be a bad idea. Fixed wing planes are faster and more efficient. A fixed wing plane can carry more payload and fly longer/farther on the same size battery compared to a quadcopter. Quadcopter's only real advantages are the ability to hover and precision low speed maneuverability. A quadcopter might be simpler mechanically than a fixed wing plane though. The only moving parts are the 4 motors. A plane would need 1 motor for the prop and at least 2 servos for pitch and roll control. Yaw isnt critical. There are many rc flying wings with no yaw control.

Hard to say which is actually simpler, but I would lean towards flying wings vs quadcopters and I build racing quadcopters as a hobby.

because

Attached: The not All Mighty.jpg (750x531, 93K)

LOCALIZED EMP
NOW FUUUUUUUUCK OOOOOOFF

I've seen a video of a hummer getting fucked up as well. Bullseye right on the roof with what looks to be a mortar shell.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

isis has been doing precisely this. dropping grenades, returning and rearming, heading out to do it again.

it often astounds me how much Jow Forums doesn't pay attention to what is happening in the world of weapons. i don't think most of Jow Forums ventures far from Jow Forums.

>shaped charge the size of a dime somehow going through cm thick steel
ITS LIKE IM TAKING FUCKING CRAZY PILLS AAAAAAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING CHILDREN
FUCK OFF

Double edged sword. EMPs are hard to generate without a nuke and can't be directed. You'd fry much of your own gear in the process.

In a conventional military? Not likely, theres already better technology out there filling this roll. Correct me if im wrong but a hellfire accurate to around 5 ft.

Non conventional military, terrorist, or criminal roll? Im surprised we haven't seen it already aside from occasional blips. If something doesnt happen within 5 years I'll be astounded.

Attached: 1448818975894.jpg (777x759, 271K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_shielding
>ah.

AA guns would obliterate them. Just the concussion from flak would knock them out of the sky. You'd have to build them with strong enough engines and armor that they could survive the concussion from flak cannons and still keep themselves in the air, that's going to make them heavier and considerably more expensive which negates the concept of using them as expendable bombs.

The alternative is to make them faster so they'll be able to avoid or outrun AA batteries; but at that point why aren't you just making a cruise missile?

Attached: main-qimg-9974bbce61bbb876bef1247357e82883-c.jpg (602x386, 65K)

>EMPs are hard to generate without a nuke and can't be directed.
If this isnt proof that everyone in this thread is a child than I dont know what is. Mods please ban everyone ITT.

>too fucking Jow Forums that we're talking about the general concept

Attached: 1499788539839.jpg (600x600, 18K)

40mm with a 3d printed shuttle cock thing going on. Blast is suspiciously large considering. Either the hummer was carrying a lot of HE or it may have been edited imo.

>shielding on drones the size of your palms
>adding weight to a fucking hummingbird sized drone
It's like a fucking madhouse in here

i lol'd.

the most efficient way of generating any sort of useful emp involves detonating large explosives, which would kill your own side.

you could simply have said jamming, which is much more feasible.

what's more, if you had bothered to read the article, you'd see all the quotes from the us army, marine corps and idf about the difficulties they're having with drones and how they're countering them. the russians are having issues also. emps are not mentioned in the article iirc.

so, why don't you write to darpa and tell them all about your idea? i'm sure they'd love to hear from you, you might make a lot of money.

>needsmorejpeg.com/
Do it.
You won't.

>bringing up Jow Forums unprovoked

Attached: reddit cancer.png (571x618, 56K)

>most efficient way of generating any sort of useful emp involves detonating large explosives,
Stop reading there
You're clinically retarded and dont know how to google.

user I'm talking about drones large enough to carry shaped charges large enough to take out tanks, not those little shit tier memes.

Jammers of any kind are super-illegal as per fcc regulations

In that case we already have fucking CIWS!

>obeying the law

i think you need to take a deep breath and realize you actually have no idea what you're talking about.

you think you do, based on watching the discovery channel. but you don't. and you're wrong.

i gave you a source earlier, i suggest you read it and actually learn what is and is not feasible and what is and is not happening. rather than take thought experiments by a bunch of neets as gospel.

Attached: FireShot Capture 203 - Aviation Week & _ - file____C__Users_Ultramarine_Desktop_AWST_AWST_180423 (296x378, 42K)

>this

Not an argument. And please, coordinate a modern army without radios.

so is making a drone bomb

he's right though. unless you've got a 2000lb bomb handy.

maybe you don't know what you're talking about.

>a bomblets and a drone are the same thing

Attached: 1321503917024.jpg (654x660, 52K)

well then teach me.

for you.

(not for the military operating operationally)

Make it semi-autonomous. The user controls the swarm by issuing orders, RTS style. The mesh net AI follows the order working as one unit. They don't have the capacity to do anything unless told to do so by the user.

you didn't even read it.

the drone is being used to deploy bomblets.

are you stupid or mendacious?

Conventional explosives dont generate emps. Emps are capable of being generated with large truck-mobile antenna. You people are fucking dumb.

Im surprised drones aren't used for squad level recon. Im the drone racing user who has posted a few times already. My whole setup weighs less than 10 lbs and would only take up part of a backpack. I could easily recon up and over buildings or hills and report in real time to my squad about what is ahead. The whole setup including goggles amd controller is only about $1,000 and the drone is only about $300. That is a high end racing drone made with carbon fiber and top of the line motors.

If the drone gets taken out oh well. It is so cheap it is almost disposable. Especially if you don't build with carbon fiber and you use $8 motors instead of $25 motors.

So shoot it down like you would a conventional bomber.

>Not an argument. And please, coordinate a modern army without radios.

modern millitary radios tend to be emp hardend. that guy is still an idiot though.

>another thread full of children masterbating over quadcopters

Attached: 1462775558501.jpg (200x282, 8K)

>turn radio off
>emp LE EPIC DRONE SWARM
>turn radio back on

Seen it. Not powerful enough. You'd have more luck putting a magnet on a long cable and swinging it around.

You'd need something close to a warship to generate the kind of voltages needed.

You don't want a jammer running 24/7. The signal can be triangulated and then shelled.

see

directed emp

That's not how an emp works. It creates an electromagnetic field. Electromagnetic fields are measured in volts and units of distance. And conductive material developes a voltage across its length. For a power line this can be thousands of volts and it fries everything connected to it. Small handheld electronics are also vulnerable considering a lot of circuit board components operate at 1v or less.

Doesn't actually work like that. EMPs create an electric charge in any conductive material they pass over. You'd need to detach the antenna.

Furthermore, you can shield against EMP. Any conductive material will do. As EMP weakens with range, you'd need more shielding than the drones. If the drones go autonomous then EMP wouldn't even be noticed.

>Conventional explosives dont generate emps.

they're used to generate flux compression.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_pumped_flux_compression_generator

>Emps are capable of being generated with large truck-mobile antenna.

you're not going to get an emp working over a wide enough field without explosive generation. you're thinking of conventional jamming.

Myth. And a really bad joke if that's what you intended.

they're very hard to counter with small arms, due to size and elevation. and you'll run out of missiles before you run out of drones.

the article goes into the situation in depth. go over and read it, it's free.

lol

Attached: fuck your meme toys.jpg (1600x931, 172K)

I had a sort of similar idea- retrofitting quadcopter drones to drop remotely ignited thermite charges. Basically you get a bunch of guys to fly these over a bunch of vehicles, you can slag any armored vehicles on the field. So much for "muh superior force" or any of that gay shit. This way the drones are recoverable after the havoc, but of course if recovery were compromised they should also be fitted with a thermite self destruct charge.

Probably your best option but you can be overwhelmed with numbers if the terrain doesn't give you good sightlines.

But it's not...

are you fucking serious?

take a moment to consider the difficulties of deploying a trailer based version of one of those to protect ground forces operating in a city.

think for a moment what's going to happen if you let lose with one of those in a built up area, especially with ground forces in close proximity.

and then, what happens when that thing blows its load at a dummy swarm in what, 10 seconds? and then the next wave comes in.

as i said, go and read the article. it's very good, covers a lot of ground, and AWST is at the high end of open source material. it's also free.

it's been done. the russians burned 70 000 tons of munitions in balakliya in ukraine doing exactly that. it's in the article posted earlier.

Jow Forums, i am dissapoint.

I think self destructive fixed wing aircraft would be more cost effective. Faster, able to carry a larger explosive payload for a given battery power, longer endurance and range.

Hovering is really inefficient. It takes a surprisingly big quadcopter just to hover with only like 5 lbs of payload.

It’s like you think we can’t make superior drones. Pic related.

Attached: 3243C83F-9AE9-4C7C-A086-7A04B5AE8102.jpg (1913x2046, 725K)