Why did Colt quit making Pythons? Isn’t demand through the roof?

Why did Colt quit making Pythons? Isn’t demand through the roof?

Attached: E94AD0E0-37EA-4B64-958A-5A7673098ED1.jpg (1200x900, 683K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/daniel-zimmerman/colt-will-never-build-another-python/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They cant make more:
thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/daniel-zimmerman/colt-will-never-build-another-python/

I sure hope they don’t make anymore, I just sold a python that was in 99% condition made sometime in the 70s for close to 4K
And I’m about to sell pic related for nearly 3k

Attached: DF5167F0-4E1B-4927-95CD-C977BFF46554.jpg (1080x1920, 668K)

Fucking garbage article.
The ONLY reason he gives for not being able to make another python- buried within 5 pages of "historical" colt content- is this:

>The Python hails from a time when every part was hand fitted to the gun and was and buffed to a high blue or nickel finish. Those skills are lost, the machinery that made the guns was scrapped and they aren’t coming back.

Shit writer.
Shit site.
Shit poster.

Colt is an overpriced government supplier that has a side business selling guns to civilians

Motherfuckers like you are the reason the machine gun ban will never be repealed.

>Shit site.
>TTAG
Pick two.

This. Smith is the superior company. Colt's catalog is literally just SAA's, 1911's, and AR's.

>meanwhile at S&W, literally anything and everything they can sell is being made by the palletload

I'd love to hear what the dude at TTAG thinks about the Smith performance shop, where they literally do everything he says Colt can't do because nobody knows how to do it anymore.

To be fair, personal interest in the value machine gun should be taken into account here. The losses those people would take amount to several tens of thousands of dollars, a yearly paycheck for many people. It's unfair to expect them to simply bend over and take those losses. They should be compensated by the rest of us who would benefit more from legal machineguns if we should expect them to be on our side.

>we need to pay boomers who had the money to "invest" in machineguns when most of us were toddlers
>machineguns shouldn't be unbanned just on principle

Attached: 1419140272240.jpg (460x500, 40K)

You can cry all you want about principle but you can't shove principle down people's throats and expect them to agree with you. You need diplomacy. You need tact.

I own several machine guns that I've paid for with earned wages.
I'm 29

And paying boomers to take a loss on an investment is somehow diplomatic because why? It sets a precedent that there'll always be a bailout. There won't be. They invested in something because they knew an unconstitutional law limited supply--ie, they knew it was blatantly illegal but it was making them money, so they didn't care. Fuck them and fuck you.

Nibba, what do you fucking expect? Market values Pythons at many thousands of dollars. Are we supposed to sell Pythons for a couple hundred bucks just cuz you don't think they should be that expensive?

What would be the use
>They make new ones
>the new ones would probably not match the original quality
>even if they did, people would still claim the older ones were better
>prices for a new one would probably match the current used-market prices because of high production-costs

>Much booooomers
Fuck my generation are such space wasting pussies

>Investors need to profit from the expansion of civil rights for everone.

Colt is ruled by the Unions

>unconstitutional law limited supply
Now hold on here. Congress passed a law banning machineguns from further production consumption on the market after 1986. That is fully constitutional.

>Fuck them and fuck you
Like I said, you need tact

TTAG IS a shit site, the guy sold-out to a bunch of Arabs to pimp their gun, that was a Grenade

Fuck you nigger, I'm going to make a python knockoff called the π-thon but with blackjack and hookers (traps) for the sole purpose of making twats like you mildly irked at the massive amounts of money you will never get for your pistol.

Smith and wesson makes great guns. Are they the best? No.
But for the money, you get 100% out of it.
I will never support a company like Colt that voluntarily restricts the machining in its lower receivers. They are just masters at marketing.

The constitution was a statist power grab

Attached: DcdRV7uX4AEEdUL.jpg (720x527, 59K)

Have fun retard

Not even that guy but FFS sake turn off the 'i'm more equal than you' spiel.

Attached: 1436163341342.jpg (829x960, 85K)

Oy vey!

Put down the bottle, bro.

Congress will never repeal the 86 machine gun ban. It was signed into law by a Republican President. It will never ever be repealed. Could it be legally? I doubt it. Scalea fucked us on that one.
The best we got is drop in triggers, and bump stocks.
We were so fucking close to repealing the NFA. Or atleast passing the HPA. But those last shootings put the nail in the coffin.
Lastly, full auto receivers are an investment. They run $20k. Only people buying those are those who will hold on to them as the supply vanishes over time.

I already have the business plan worked out, I'll blow 20 guys per week so I get around 100,000 after a year. Buy some low end lathes and milling machines and have the machines make parts while I'm blowing dudes, adding to my dank income. After 3 years I'll have enough machines to be able to hire some wage cucks to operate while I'm away. By the end of 5 years I'll have enough money to start building nice π-thons and only have to blow 19 guys a week. By the time my FFL comes youll be begging me to not ruin your shitty market values.

It will only be never repealed because it takes a monumentous effort to reverse a long standing status quo. Laws in America don't get repealed very often. They simply get altered.

Repeal of Prohibition is a fucking rarity in American law especially at the Congressional level.

and the best part, it'll only require 5,200 dick suckings.

Is it possible to buy the patent once Colt goes under? Can't one us retards buy it and start making them out of their garage or some shit. I'd buy them.

>5,200 dick suckings
OP’s mom should have been making pythons a long time ago.

Top kek

You are a massive faggot

No you don't. Investment comes with an inherent assumption of risk that your investment won't pan out. Setting aside the fact that machine guns have very little liquidity, the simple introduction of more registered machine guns to the market, even with the ban in place, would reduce values.

The python is over-rated.

When was the last python at the Bianchi cup?

Get a Smith and Wesson 686.

I'll stop hating boomers when they reimburse me for all the money I put into Social Security to support their dumbasses.

Because he's selling his personal property according to the market's values? Fuck off faggot.

Stay mad, especially because I buy them off boomers who don’t know any better and are happy to get $700-$800 for them

You aren't wrong, but they legit can't make pythons. Anything new that colt brings out is outsourced.all the have are ARs, 1911s and SAAs. Look how the 1903 turned out and keep in mind that the cobra is just a charter.

They could bring back the Anaconda or King Cobra but those were made to be CNC guns and would for sure be outsourced

Eh, Smith's custom shop isn't what it used to be either. They use laser engraving and there's no getting around Smith's "improved" manufacturing and the custom shops has gotten it's share of returns. However, they do forge their own goddamn 1911 frames which is more than colt can say

if you are going to put down 3-4k on a revolver, why not buy an objectively better korth or manhurin?

Attached: download (22).jpg (1280x720, 234K)

You’re not wrong but most of the appeal for the python is cosmetics and novelty

I find it odd that all other revolvers resemble S&Ws (except the Korth and Korth hated it being called a python clone)
Perhaps other manufacturers would rather associate S&W’s quality through their cosmetics?

Fuck you the Hughes amendment was blatantly unconstitutional

Traps are gay

Colt has "outsourced" machineing/finishing of parts since the beginning you retard.

>Now hold on here. Congress passed a law banning machineguns from further production consumption on the market after 1986. That is fully constitutional
SHALL

NOT

BE

INFRINGED

Colt also built a massive fucking factory to build there own shit. Everyone outsourced something to some extent but anything from colt that isn't a 1911, SAA or AR IS rebranded. Its not small parts or barrel blanks, it's entire fucking guns you dense fuck. They have fuck all for manufacturing capability and it's been that way since the 70s

Because nothing will beat a 1959 pretty pony. R.I.P. grandpa. You will be missed, but your python will be as shiny as the day I got her.

Attached: 20171202_144145.jpg (4032x3024, 2.83M)

>fully constitutional
>violates the part of the constitution that says SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
>lower courts declared it unconstitutional
>Supreme Court said it was only constitutional if the NFA applied to non-military weapons, and didn't make a decision on the NFA as a whole, only on sawed-off shotguns
>no one was present to speak for the defense before the Supreme Court and the prosecutor lied before the judges
>Hughes Amendment was passed illegally in the dead of night
>lacked the votes to pass, passed anyway
>violates the "Shall not be infringed" bit again
>and this dumb shit says it's "fully constitutional"

Go wash your mouth out with a .38, Fudd.

It isn't incorrect, the Python as it was, was made with a whole bunch of 'tribal knowledge', a lot of the people with the right knowhow are dead.

Further, nuColt would outsource production, and there would be none of the fancy shit that originally went into the Python, it would be all quick and dirty, at best you're looking at a gun that outwardly resembles the shape of a Python, but with a cheap finish, rough machining, and disappointing fitting, along with a letdown of a trigger.
It might not even be a Python on the inside (as the original Python lockwork is flimsy and weak), but something else instead, just having the full lug and rib on the barrel (without the fancy progressive twist bore), and a licensed pony on it, all for the grand price of $6000!
For the past 50 years, Colt has increasingly been in the position of one foot in the grave, one foot on a banana peel, they will not do what the customers want, which is why they file for chapter eleven at least once a decade.

Why in the fuck would you expect to ever see Colt make the Python again, knowing the last part?

No.

You should see /vr/, where collectors scream their lungs out at someone putting a $5 sticker on a copy of Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
Vidya collectors are some of the most autistic people I've seen.

Meh. Colts only ever been good at making 1911's and revolvers. And there old ones at that.

If you want to know why they dont make it anymore.
Why spend all day selling a revolver for $1,200 when you can chuen out 4-5 factory guns for $600 ea. In the same time?
Sadly, its all qaunity > qaulity. It isnt about their name or rep. Its about their yearly quota.

Attached: IMG_20180402_203744_138.jpg (1080x1080, 120K)

Making and selling one in the span it takes to make 5* forgot to make that clear

Keep your trap Python for yourself, you fairy faggot.

>Why did Colt quit making Pythons?

High production cost.

>Isn’t demand through the roof?

Because they stopped producing them.

>You aren't wrong, but they legit can't make pythons.

It's like saying you can't make something because a machine can do it better than you. Honestly that is why I got a S&W instead of a meme revolver.

Time to repeal congress.

From what Ian has said it feels like Colt has been a shitty company for a LOT longer than that.

Patent? That shit went ages ago, and the action itself isn't even especially amazing for .357 Magnum, the big deal with the Python was the quality of manufacture and its glamorous fit and finish.
One of its big claims to fame is the smooth trigger, but that comes at the expense of not a very strong lockwork, and there's ways to have smooth triggers with strong lockworks.

You could copy a better revolver (a Security Six or a Highway Patrolman, whatever), improve and alter it, and then put insane effort into quality and manufacturing.
Go look at fucking Korth or Manurhin, what makes them great is their quality, not because they have some kind of special feature that sets them apart from generic wheelguns.

back then it was corporate fuck ups, now its corporate and production

Well, yeah, shit kinda started teetering south ever since Samuel died, but it took a while for the fuckball to really get going, they were still doing some great quality guns by WW2.

watch Ian's video on the history of Colt.
Colt is literally fucked six ways from Sunday

The Python is overrated, the Diamondback is where it's really at.

>internal lock

>government supplier
lol no

i own a few hundred thousand dollars in machineguns. i would happily see them worth $1 each if it meant MGs were as legal as semi auto rifles.

Attached: IMG_0891.jpg (1024x768, 320K)

For such an expensive gun your camera is absolute shit, I am glad to see your priorities are set right, carry on with the love of the Jow Forumsube my nigga!

They just can't.

It has to be made by hand sort of like an H&H double rifle. It doesn't make commercial sense.

cameras should be disposable and reliable. a nokia had a shitty camera. but it'll keep working.

Colt couldn't even make a half decent 1903 Hammerless when they reintroduced it a couple years back. And that was a limited run at high prices. There's no way in fuck they could reintroduce the Python for a half-decent price (~$1200-1500) and not have it be complete shit.

Hell, I'm not sure they could make a quality modern Python for any price. They just don't have it in them anymore.

Pic related.

Attached: Colt quality.jpg (900x599, 219K)

>Shit camera
>Shit table
>Shit house
>Cheap tablecloth
>Expensive as fuck MG

You've got your priorities in order, user, and I respect that.

The don't have the staff and they don't have the tooling to make the python anymore. They could either have someone else make the gun, which would just be a clone and not a python, or they could throw money at acquiring the staff and the tooling to make what would simply be a smaller anaconda because the anaconda and king cobra were meant to be CNC guns. Colt doesn't posses the ability to make anything new. somebody can make a gun that looks like a python but everything that made the python what it is, is gone

LOL bro, you need to die in a fucking house fire. I wanna beat the straight shit out of you.

Hopefully one day those people get what's coming when people get sick of their rights being taken away.

unless the entire country suddenly erupts in revolution, dead people aren't going to give anyone freedoms. actually it's probably going to be the opposite.

Duh, that's why they needed to add guaranteed rights to get reasonable people to even consider such an over reach of power.

>people buying something that is inflated solely due to government overregulation DESERVE to be compensated when the government corrects its legislative mistakes

Unironically gas yourselves.

Wasn't us making it brah.

I really don't fucking care, they made an investment based on an anti-constitutional law (and don't pretend it isn't, because it absolutely is), and if the sole reason their investment has this value is this law, it's gonna suck for them, because their investment is just going to be a fucking loss, and there's nothing they will be able to do about it when the time comes.

The rights of the people matter more than your personal profits, you should have invested in something with a genuine value instead. Unless your transferable machinegun is something genuinely exclusive and rare like a Colt Monitor, it probably is only worth somewhere between $1000 to $5000 on average. If you bought a Sten or M11, well, that's not even that.

You guys need to realize that craftsmen are a dying breed. If it can’t be made on CNC it won’t be made period. Colt is such a mismanaged shitfest that they couldn’t even be bothered to preserve python making knowledge and tools, just in case they ever decide to re start a production. But no, all we have and all we’ll ever have is echoes from the past and modern plastic fantastics

Not right now you don't.

This. New people barely even work. All my friends are absolute bums

I'm a manual machinist
the only one from my highschool machine shop class that's employed in my trade

I'm in my early to mid 20s
I just got a $1 raise
I now make $16 an hour
This is the highest paying job I've ever had

Within 30 min of my town the highest wage for a 'machinist' is a pitiful 13/hr for a buttonpusher position as a CNC 'operator'

I have a trade skill and old boomer 'small company owners' who think that I can survive on what they were making at that age can go rot in a nursing home

TLDR no one wants to learn a skill if companies won't pay them well for it
Free market basics

/rambling rant

Exactomundo.

The day
>get associated in cbc with bachelor in mechanical engineering
>get promised $15 an hour by school
> $10 an hour at most interviews and can only argue up to 12 which is 4 less than what I made in the hellhole that is retail

Fuck them, don't ask me to settle for less

>Don't worry, it's constitutional because the government said so!
Unironically kys retard.

Colt is a *seriously* mismanaged company. They're subject to the same problems of a hydra-bureaucracy that siphons up so much cash, there's little left for labor. For a long time, they've relied on government contracts and now that those are beginning to dry up, that business model is failing.

They made quality products, arguably still do (but some beg to differ), but even with charging double the competition, they're not profitable. I personally think if they cut prices by 25% they would sell so much more volume they'd still be in the game.

But when one do nothing bureaucrat can hire 10 more that do nothing, the company quickly becomes a bloated mass of parasites. This is usually what happens when a guy is given hiring privleges and he doesn't understand what he's supervising/managing. He'll hire "experts" likely as unqualified as he is, who then hire their own experts (at this point likely many entire departments of "do nothings").... and it becomes gross like 3 bureaucrats to every one laborer (and the bureaucrats are likely making double the dude managing the mills/lathes).