Whats up with steel cased

Is it as shitty as fudds say or is it okay

Attached: 591146.jpg (880x660, 135K)

How fucking late to the game can you be dude?

Steel case is fine, some guns don’t like it though.

It's fine, fuds are retarded as usual and most probably confuse it with lacquer coated ammo.

If you are shooting from a full length AR you will be fine. Its the carbines and pistols that seem to have issues

Perfectly fine if your gun isn't a picky eater. My Beretta 92 can eat through 9mm steel like a champ.

The bi metal jacket is harsher on a barrel then brass. If you have a budget gun shoot steel, use the savings after a few thousand rounds to buy a quality barrel.

>The bi metal jacket is harsher on a barrel then brass.
Not true at all.

are you saying brass and steel are equally hard?

the soviets sneak over-pressured cartridges into their boxes so that we will blow ourselves up

This might be too much for you to process right now.
There are compositions of steel that are SOFTER than gilding metal.

It works just fine. Keep in mind when someone has money at stake for smearing a product, they will. But take note that your weapon is actually made for steel case, some are not.

The main reason steel gets such a bad rap is because a lot of ranges forbid it. They say it's because it can be far more dangerous and corrosive to guns (and you *should* clean the hell out of any gun after firing steel case, it can cause rust and corrosion issues if you leave a lot of carbon steel dust in your rifle). But THE REAL REASON they often forbid it because a lot of ranges make a killing on selling the scrap brass and if the brass is contaminated by even a few steel shells, they get docked very hard on the payout. It's easiest and most profitable to keep everyone buying and shooting brass.

tl;dr
>nothing wrong with steel case
>except it requires a thorough cleaning after shooting (and if you're not cleaning guns after using them, you'll have problems anyhow)
>ranges don't make as much money if you're shooting steel.

It works, but brass is better.

>Steel case is fine, some guns don’t like it though.
Especially if the steel casing is of a higher quality steel than the gun, Century Arms for example.

If your carrying a lot of ammo its noticeably heavier than brass

If you have a piece of shit gun designed by some aerospace engineering nerd that has to run under specific conditions then you'll have issues cycling it. If you have a true tool of war designed by a true warfighter that can run even in the harshest of conditions you won't.

It’s bimetal jacket vs copper jacket and steel case vs brass case. Two different issues.

But yes, bimetal jacketed projectiles are supposedly harsher for your barrel than copper jackets. Steel case like Tula does typically have bimetal jacketed projectiles though, so you’re correct.

Most modern steel case, it not all of it, is non-corrosive. Old surplus ammo with corrosive berdan primers was the issue. Unfortunately fudd lore persists that dat der steel is gonna rust your gun out.

I'm just gonna gather a bunch of steel casings and sprinkle them all over the range1

I've never had an issue with steel case.
But

I left a couple loaded USGI magazines on the table down on my range for a couple weeks.
It rained a few times.
Rounds were rusted and magazines were a little "sticky".
Unloaded and reloaded, without cleaning. They all fired fine.
But for a shtf scenario, I wouldn't want to rely on steel.

>current year
>listening to fudds

The steel casings will ruin the rifling in your barrel.

I run steel case in everything i own. Runs fine. I've even run wolf steel case 30-06 in the m1 garand.

I like to wet a rag with gun oil and wipe each round real quick before I load them up.

Sometimes 38 spec steel cases are a bit snug in the cylinder of revolvers. Nothing a firm tap on the extractor doesn't solve

How do you get the casings into the barrel?

>believing the brass myth
Apparently magnets don't exist.

this is how dirty my 308 is after 100 rnds of American ammo:

Attached: Ngipz60[1].jpg (640x480, 71K)

this is the dirt from 60 rnds of russian steel cased 223. You decide

Attached: 5VVcu2w[1].jpg (640x480, 68K)

What you said makes no sense for two reasons. One, I think you meant to say the mild steel on the bullet is harder than the usual copper jacket on a bullet. And two if that is what you meant to say, which if you aren't retarded it is, is wrong.

So? Clean your guns after shooting and it's a non-issue.

>comparing apples to oranges
>comparing a .308 fudd gun to an ar15
that's as shitty as my AR looks after 30 rounds of federal bulk. Get fucked, retard.

I honestly can't tell the difference because one is reasonably on patches and another looks like you pissed down a barrel and dumped it onto some cardboard.

it's fine, although accuracy won't be the best.

it will wear down your rifle faster too

The steelfags are in here and already mad lmao. Being poor is like a constant state of denial and rage.

>non lacquered steel case

Hello Soviet friend from the 1930s. All steel case is lacquered now

In my experience steel-cased ammo tends to be of poor quality, with Tulammo being the worst offender. The purpose seems to primarily be cost cutting so they also tend to use shitty powder that leaves lots of residue, sloppy and inconsistent loading, 3rd rate projectiles that aren't consistent or well balanced and shoddy assembly.

This varies from brand to brand, with Vympel being good, Barnaul being OK and Tula being pretty much shit. Of course some guns don't work well with ANY steel, but if it's not a problem I find Vympel and Barnaul work better than some brass-cased ammo (like Aguila, which is also shit-tier).

Tula however is alarmingly bad.
Their 9mm is OK, I've run it in several guns without issue.
Their .40 S&W (pause for people bitching about .40 S&W, ok, done? moving on) seems to be prone to light strikes and dud primers for some reason.
Their .223 is particularly inaccurate and tends to be very cold-loaded so a lot of guns that are under-gassed will choke on it. It's only good for plinking.
Their .308 is unsafe to fire. I had a batch encounter case head separations, blowing up in a Zastava M77PS, a DSA FAL and my M1A, on the latter 2 it also blew the floorplates of the magazines out. Closer inspection of unfired ammo revealed that some ammo was under-powered while other rounds were spiked, some damn near double-charged. Hopefully this problem has been addressed and I did notify Tulammo of this issue. A Google search shows that it has blown up a few other guns as well, so I know it's a big batch that's still in circulation.

Attached: 20171231_194104.jpg (2560x1536, 1M)

It's almost all polymer coated now. Lacquered ammon was very prevalent just a few years ago and is still available but is pretty rare now.

And it's a non argument anyway because it made no fucking difference and the difference is fuddlore and production costs.

fudd detected, tell me do you stay in a ass up position at the range looking for brass like the fudd jew you are ?

Attached: 20171231_194109.jpg (2560x1536, 1.07M)

That black thing in the chamber is not fouling, it's a steel casing with the bottom of it torn off.

Here it is after I removed it with a broken shell extractor.

Attached: 20180105_102922.jpg (2560x1536, 818K)

To deny steel cases ammo is generally of lower quality would just be lying to yourself, but to say it signifigantly increases wear is also a lie.

is that a garand? should garands not have modern 30-06 at all ?

Yes.

why the fuck were they running steel cased 30-06 in at all then, i think horandy loads specific ammo for garands

>what are gas plugs?
dont argue from a position of authority on matters you do not understand.

How the fuck does that look like a Garand?
Modern ammo is fine in Garands.
Steel cases are fine in Garands. Most would have been fed it during the 40's

Depends on the gun, non milspec budget guns like Palmetto state armory AR’s will have issues feeding many types of surplus ammunition, even lake city brass

And the lot number in case anyone is having a heart attack right now.

My conclusion:
I've shot a lot of steel-cased ammo over the years. Tons of 9mm and .223 (mostly out of Mini-14s which chew it up no problem) and it's a fine alternative to brass to save some money on practice and recreational plinking.

I wouldn't use it for defense, it's usually just made too cheaply. Maybe some 7.62x39mm SP loads or surplus 5.45 ball, but if your life is going to count on it your first magazine on tap should be loaded with the best ammo you can get your hands on.

As for wear, I don't think there's been a significant difference, although they have gotten dirtier faster.
As for what guns work with it, some just don't. This is especially true for shotguns as many do not tolerate steel-based shells.
I can shoot Barnaul ball with confidence but knowing what I know not I'm very weary about Tulammo and again I highly advise against touching their .308 because malfunctions are one thing but this stuff might damage your gun or even you.

I also forgot I used some .38 which didn't like to extract because revolvers have to extract multiple casings at once and they are straight-walled, so I recommend not using that.

Attached: 20171231_194200.jpg (2560x1536, 951K)

Attached: 1lgr72.jpg (378x453, 44K)

I don't know about increasing wear under normal circumstances, but case head separations are the kind of wear I don't want happening to my guns. Besides which it literally destroyed a nice CMI magazine which isn't something I feel like replacing every time I shoot a certain brand of ammo.

I don't think it happened because the ammo was steel-cased, as I've shot hundreds of rounds of Tulammo and other steel-cased ammo previously with no issue, but it does show that something is massively wrong with Tula's .308 and perhaps some of their other ammo as well.
That's an M1A, although from that angle they must look similar.

I actually did have a Garand in .30-06 at a time and did run some Barnaul FMJ without any real problems. I did have it fitted with a ported gas plug JIC though.

Attached: 20171231_194211.jpg (2560x1536, 1.24M)

Where'd ya read that user?

My psa begs to differ

I have never heard of or experienced that. I've had more failure qualifying on my m4 than I've had with my PSA.

Is your ass a source now?

> steel case 30-06
> in m1 garand

Assuming you have the gas plug, does it affect the garand?

nope, I shoot with the normal gas plug, vented/adjustable gas plugs are a meme.

Attached: IMG_0500.jpg (4032x3024, 2.75M)

>To deny steel cases ammo is generally of lower quality

steel case proved to be loaded hotter (companed to underloaded out of spec U.S made ammo) and more consistent then U.S made ammo, at least in combloc calibers, look at rob ski's ammo test.

>all these cheap steal case shills
its understandable for 7.62x39, but for any other caliber pls go
maybe buy ammo that isnt shit while you're gone then come back and apologize