Is 556 better than 7.62x39 in terms of lethality under 200 yards?

Is 556 better than 7.62x39 in terms of lethality under 200 yards?

Attached: image.jpg (2500x1667, 676K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dnnLgmNVQ5I?t=1m40s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It isn't any more lethal, but it has a more modest flight arc and can have a tighter manufacturing tolerance, causing tighter groupings at that range, which allows aiming and hitting shit at that distance to be a little easier.

5.56 is a .22 with more power. Good enough for pigeons and squirrels and little else. 7.62x39 is a serious caliber that gets shit done.

Think of it like this: A person wearing a plate hit by 556 will stagger. A person wearing a plate hit by 762 will be on their ass.

Disregard that first part. On mobile.

This thread sucks

>5.56 penetrates 3/8" mild steel at 100 yards.
>5.56 and 7mm rem mag look identical on 3/4" steel at 100 yards.
>7.62x39 leaves a small dent on 3/8" steel at 100 yards.

thanks, mr. i-have-no-experience-with-either-round!

What load? M43 ball 7.62x39 has shit wounding characteristics for its size.

The 7.62x39 is way better than 5.56. That's why US soldiers in desert storm, Iraq and Afghanistan picked up insurgent AKMs and shit because the 7.62x39 was so much better

>A person wearing a plate hit by 556 will stagger. A person wearing a plate hit by 762 will be on their ass.
You watch too many movies... and own too few guns.

thanks, mr. i-can't-spot-bait-from-a-mile-off-newfag

If the 556 bullet is still going fast enough, it can be a lot pretty traumatic if it breaks up more like a hunting bullet, or "is" a hunting bullet. I've butchered a couple deer taken by 556 and it's not anything to laugh off.
From my experience, 556 from a decent barrel length is massively harder on steel within ~100-150 or so yards. That speed makes it eat deeply into soft steel vs other intermediates, and punch through layers of hardened steel that laugh off 54r steel core.

Kind of depends. For 7.62mm, generic Soviet ball surplus will perform ok, but you can do better for the caliber.
Likewise, for 5.56mm, M855 ball will do OK, but it's hardly the good stuff, and the Soviet 7.62mm ball ammo may arguably be better at 200yds or less (because M855 just isn't very great).

If you start looking at nice ammo, like some good softpoints or open tipped match stuff, both calibers perform a lot better.

user, I'm going to shoot you in the thigh with 5.56mm V-Max and rape the wound with a sandpaper condom, lubed with rubbing alcohol.

You're next in line.

Attached: 1500485494580.png (1099x1195, 270K)

>A person wearing a plate hit by 556 will stagger
If a person wearing a plate, standing on one foot, is hit by .308, at point-blank range, and barely sways backwards, then a puny .223 won't even tickle him.

youtu.be/dnnLgmNVQ5I?t=1m40s

Attached: bod armor test against 308 (2).webm (320x240, 1.73M)

I'll do you one better and disregard them both.
If both rifles are using similar quality ammunition, yes, 5.56 will outperform 7.62x39 in terms of lethality due to fragmentation.

This. 5.56 is only decisively superior to the 7.62 in the 200-300 meter range. Beneath that, they're not too crazy different and the 7.62 has proven better penetration than the 5.56, while leaving a larger exit wound.

Welcome to summer Jow Forumsamp

Some military loadings of 7.62x39 are worse than some equivalent 5.56, but given optimal bullet construction for the range and target, 7.62x39 has more energy and consequently has more headroom for a well designed bullet to wound.
But any hit at all is more lethal than no hits, per

Lets just say fmj.

556 is fuckall common in fmj and youre more likely to find that lying around in shtf than some black hills shit

but which one is better for the poorfag who needs to hunt??

762x39 has more upward mobility for taking larger game.
But either will do you just fine up to normal deer. 762 has some options for softpoints etc, and 556 has loads of options for heavier bullet weights etc etc.

You wont be finding ammo just "lying around" in any circumstance. Real life isn't fallout. If you find ammo, it'll be in a pack attached to the guy you just shot and he'll have the corresponding gun with him.

You are wrong on both counts doublenigger, discnnect your keyboard and lurk more.

30-06 will shoot through everything

5.56 needs distance so that it can tumble and create a lethal wound. Its the tumbling that fucks people up.

>be me
>opr8’n in my brushstroke camo hunting wakandans
>ND into the ground
>hole looks deep
>next day
>watching the news
>Chinese man shot up his asshole
>mfw.gif

>Is 556 better than 7.62x39 in terms of lethality under 200 yards?

Considering the westerners shooting 5.56 at you will probably actually hit you and then call in CAS because they own the skies, yes.

The slav conscripts/sub saharan monkey raiders still using 7.62x39 will most definitely shoot wide, raise their rifles over their heads and scream obscenities at their dark gods for forsaking them to USAF/Army Aviation firepower.

Terminal ballistics don't actually matter.

Attached: 1521508866532.jpg (560x560, 39K)

>A person wearing a plate hit by 762 will be on their ass.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Any gun that can knock its target on their ass would knock the user on their ass.

If an apocolypse happens I'm going to scatter 5.56, 9mm, and .308 around like the fucking Easter Bunny.
t. meme cartridge fanboy

Except Level 4 plates are rated to stop .30-06 AP and have stopped .338 Lap. mag before.

No. The buttstock has a recoil spring to counter recoil.

Meant to say buffer tube and spring on Ar's

Very smug.

Implying people are made of steel

The buffer spring is there to return the bcg, not to dampen recoil. In fact, semi-autos will have slightly greater felt recoil than a manual action due to the forces being utilized to cycle the action.

Also, You've obviously never seen a living thing shot. A 7.62 nato round will generally rip right through a person, not knock them down. Fuck, even .50 bmg won't knock someone down.

>pic is mfw hit a squirter with a burst from the m2, fucker takes another 5 steps before tripping in a ditch.

Attached: concern.jpg (587x645, 117K)

7.62x32 is much more for punching holes into mud huts
5.56 is actually useful since it's designed to wound

>scream obscenities at their dark gods for forsaking them to USAF/Army Aviation firepower.
Lol

WOW fucking Autist around this thread.

5.56 is a lighter faster moving round designed to tumble on impact. This means it goes through hard things and fragments and spins creating a more vigorous and in predictable wound channel. This means more injuries and less straight up kill shots. (Designed to wound)

7.62x39 is a heavy much slower round with less arc in the trajectory. It is not as good at penetrating armor but better for soft tissue damage as the wound channel absorbs the energy more efficiently then 5.56. It hits harder in soft stuff but does not go through hard stuff as easily. (Designed to kill soft things)

Accuracy in ammo is negligible between the two from quality ammo or quality reload. The range out at 300 yards where you really see a difference is not in the ability for most shooters. The rounds both of them when compared equally will out shoot most trigger pullers.

Pick what you like and don’t be an uninformed mongrel

>user, I'm going to shoot you in the thigh with 5.56mm V-Max and rape the wound with a sandpaper condom, lubed with rubbing alcohol.

How are you going to fuck anything if you can't even find your dick you fat grotesque weeb poster?

>Except Level 4 plates are rated to stop .30-06 AP and have stopped .338 Lap. mag before

>Dieing of blunt force trama instead

Attached: destroyed in seconds.jpg (300x225, 13K)

And where does the energy go from the spring? Remember that whatever you say there is an equal and opposite reaction, and that energy cannot be destroyed.

Attached: 1478397604312.png (500x501, 52K)

No.

>needing your giblets intact to live
What a pussy.

Attached: 6eb4a63fc101e2c987d501c4f8279ac3.jpg (600x600, 71K)

>I have no idea what impulse is

Please take high school physics

This thread is a fucking retard magnet. Let me hop on in.

>Ball ammo VS ball ammo
5.56 wins if it frags, otherwise 7.62x39. Both are shit though in the latter case considering they just icepick and frequently don't even yaw while passing through somebody but one is slightly larger than the other. May very well be a functional draw though, luck of the draw on when/if yawing occurs is likely a bigger influence than caliber. 7.62x39 has notably better post barrier performance and anti barrier performance. it'll chew through something like a cinderblock wall better and have considerably more mass after passing through a windshield or other "bullet resistant" barrier. a jagged 100gr chunk of metal btfos a jagged 30-40 gr one in terms of reliable penetration.
>fragmenting vs fragmenting
Not a lot of fragmenting 7.62x39mm loads but there are some. assuming both are within their fragmentation envelope 7.62x39 is likely to win again. More mass means more fragments and heavier ones which means more penetration for each fragment. Of course the 5.56 will likely have a larger fragmentation envelope and that may become an issue for the 7.62 at some point, even inside of 200y. Again, 7.62 is going to be better at and post barriers.
>5.56 expanding vs 7.62x39 expanding
7.62x39 wins. expanding rounds that work at aprx 1800 fps are totally a thing and have been for a while. While 5.56 may technically gain a ftlbs advantage at some point depending on loads this doesn't really matter in light of the 7.62s better expansion and penetration. expanding ammo is frequently used in place of fragmenting specifically due to barrier concerns so imo it kinda gets double points in the bonded expanding category due to it's natural propensity for superior post barrier performance.
>vs armor
5.56 wins. speed, SA, and projectile design are what kill armor.

7.62x39 is the clear winner inside of 100yds and the probable winner in almost every realistic situation inside of 200yds.

Tfw I’ve tested this and 7.62x39 flew right through.

8m3 is a fragmenting x39 round, I believe.

Within 200 yards, 7.62x39 has considerably more energy. There aren't as many good loads or projectiles on the market as 5.56, or .308, which is a shame

he did almost fall over after though

>7.62x39 is a heavy much slower round with less arc in the trajectory.
you sure? 5.56 is flatter

Did you even watch the video?

No fucking shit you moron.
Thats exactly what im saying. Maybe he found a can laying somewhere. Maybe he picked it up from someone he killed laying on the ground. You can find shit just like you do in real life.

Of course its not going to be fallout jackass, but i dont think youre going to be finding black hills and softpoints exclusively after the apocalypse. Fuckoff greentip/x193 is the most common by far

Why would ammo just be laying around to find? You've got what you've got

Recoil has less energy than the bullet. The typical energy of a .308 is about 3000 ft/lbs while the recoil energy is about 100 ft/lbs.

>7.62x39 slower, but less arc
>What is physics
Jesus, do you even rifle?

This
556 was made to wound

>Designed to would

can you fucking not with the bullshit?

This is one of the most retarded things that people can believe. Why would you take a lethal force multiplier then ruin it with a "wounding caliber". Pick your shots and don't spray like a fucking sandnigger and it's just as lethal as 7.62x39 with flatter trajectory, longer range, and greater force at those ranges.

5.56 will kill you as dead as a 7.62.
The difference is you can carry a whole hell of a lot more 5.56 on you at any given time.