If Minovsky particles became a thing, would mobile suits actually be practical?

If Minovsky particles became a thing, would mobile suits actually be practical?

Attached: 1485610871_ezgif.com-resize.gif (540x303, 1.85M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Active_Mass_Balance_Auto-Control
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm currently preparing some thought on the probability of using nuclear power plants in AFV/APCs rn, and post it here with some hopes that people who are eduacated on the subject are around. I'm not familiar with that anime much, but considering it still comes from a nuclear reaction and radiation is produced, no. Looking at all the shielding techniques on the Navy reactors, it most certainly does not look like it could be applied on anything lower than a large armored vehicle.

Maybe a large mech? It was a possibility in my mind, but i remain uncertain.

No, There is not metal that will hold up to tons of weight need to build a mech, have it move, have it fight. Also the thing is going to be a bullet magnet so you need to armor it. There are no motors that have the strength and dexterity need for an arm or leg that weighs like 2 tiger tanks.

Hey guys, I've got an idea:
What if, instead of controlling the aiming and firing of our weapons directly, we just built giant guns and fired them using robot arms? That way we can add a shitload of weight to our vehicles, decrease accuracy, increase the number of failure points, throw power requirements through the roof, decrease the amount of firepower per unit mass of the vehicle, reduce response time, and generally make the whole process of killing the other guy worse in every conceivable way?
Lets also do it in a way that ensures that if the tall, slender vehicle with a complex and finicky propulsion mechanism loses balance at all, the pilot is guaranteed to die from his organs being liquefied due to falling eight stories.
Ooh, and while we're at it, can we please extend for miles the horizon beyond which we can be directly targeted, and ensure that the only two places on the planet that the vehicle can only get hard cover are the Grand Canyon and the Himalayas? That'd be soooooo wizard!

sensational burn

Turns out a mobile suit weighs only 60 tons. Considering factors like moment of inertia and a zaku would end up really sturdy.

Graphene.
Carbon nanotubes.
Ceramic / alloys

Probably not. Too intricate and expensive for little practical benefit.
Balls and Oggos though...

Attached: 1438471433708.png (768x836, 231K)

What would Minovsky particles do that would make giant robots be practical?

Oh look, another troll thread that really doesn't belong in Jow Forums.

Marlboro Man reminds you to SAGE ALL SHITPOSTS.

Attached: marlboro_marine.jpg (500x334, 34K)

in their defense mobile suits were designed for space combat first and foremost and they mention how worse they are on earth in the original gundam

jam all methods of long-range signaling. So cruise missiles, non-wire guided ATGM's, long range radars, ballistic missiles, electronic warfare, drones, spy satellites, etc are all useless now and warfare is line of sight again.

So just like WW2? Why would that make giant mecha practical?

well they lacked the tech for giant mechs in WW2.

WW2 combatants would have had problems stopping manuverable titanium-armored mobile suits with 105mm machine guns though.

Why do you need legs in space?
That also doesn't solve anything but the "pilot dies when you trip" problem.

Attached: 5b2[1].gif (340x213, 951K)

just forget those.

the real battle spaceships will be built inside large asteroids and small moons.

Anime handwavium allows mobile suits to make micro adjustments in position via inertial control.
gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Active_Mass_Balance_Auto-Control

It is a real thing that you can do, its performance is just grossly overstated in gundam

I'll have to remember that if I ever have to take a stroll through the hard vacuum of space.

Not as practical as say a dedicated space combat vehicle, which would likely be a flying cone of armor with internally stored weapons consisting of a mix of railguns and high intensity lasers, perhaps decoys, chaff, etc. It would have a large number of small telescopes and at least one larger high power telescope, and it would likely be laid out in such a way that accelerating would provide an analogue of gravity for it's crew. While radar is a nice bonus, you don't need it in space because anything that generates appreciable heat will stand out starkly against the background of extreme cold, the same goes for anything using any form of rocket propulsion, because exhaust gasses glow hot and also reflect light from the sun and other stars, making the drive plume of any ship visible for anything in LOS. Because space is so big and relatively empty, that means the things in LOS will be extremely numerous and thus it becomes extremely difficult to hide yourself in space unless you sit completely still, using the minimum of power, generating the minimum of heat, and even then you can be picked out by powerful telescopes because your ship or mech will obscure a patch of stars behind it and powerful computers could recognize that discrepancy.

So perhaps they'd be more practical in your scenario, but still be completely outmatched by caution cones bristling with railguns, telescopes, and lasers.

You could do that much more controlably and efficiently with gyroscopes.