9mm vs mountain lion

is 9mm federal hollow points out of a 4in barrel enough to take down a mountain lion with good shot placement? pistol holds 8rds

i carry my ccw usually but not when i bike, but i will be changing that now

Attached: image.jpg (750x926, 459K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bZgklu52Rus
youtube.com/watch?v=fzzjgBAaWZw
youtube.com/watch?v=LuUxhtWE_t0
youtube.com/watch?v=-A-Kez41RpY
outdoorlife.com/articles/-editors/2007/09/besting-roosevelts-lion
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

a .22lr is all you need.. to shoot your buddy in the knee so you can get away

a family friend got attacked and ended up killing the cougar

the problem with animals like cougars, dogs, etc is that they attack the arms and hands first, so it would be hard to pull a gun out of your bag.

the guy our family knew had a knife strapped to his thigh that he used to stab the wanker in the throat

maybe a gun wouldnt be the most practical option

>pull a gun out of your bag.
That's what holsters are for.

Paul did a video on this, however the results were inconclusive, and what works for him by no means will work for anyone else

>is 9mm federal hollow points out of a 4in barrel enough to take down a mountain lion with good shot placement? pistol holds 8rds
well yea, almost any bullet with "good shot placement" will severely damage a predator

would 9mm Fed HSTs do the job? Definitely

Would I want something bigger? Yeah probably.

>so you can get away
You jumped the gun.

Put enough into it and it should go down.

8 might not be enough, at least to do it quickly.

Also when it comes to cougar attacks, you'll almost never see it coming.

If you don't have a gun in a holster ready to go, you are better off with a knife or sharp stick. Also always bring a dog.

If you are going to be spending any substantial amount of time in Cougar/bear country I would suggest a 10mm at minimum, a .44 would be better. A long gun would be ideal.

I got attacked by a cougar once. I protected myself with a condom.

mountain lions aren't particularly tough, 9mm is plenty. the important thing is to having the situational awareness to identify the threat before you're attacked. usually (not always) a mountain lion will fuck off if it realizes you've seen it; even if not, everyone's a much better shot before they've been mauled than after.

In boy scouts we would shine our lights up in the bushes and see eyes look back at us. We would not get any sleep those nights.

I'd prefer something that allow for heavier bullets

If it doesn't drop quickly after being hit, it will probably run away. Cougars are ambush predators always try to take their prey quickly and by surprise. It will not want to continue a fight in which it has already been injured and can escape. Situational awareness and safety in numbers (this attack was very odd) are more important that a firearm. If the cat gets the drop on you, you probably won't be able to draw.

I'm an avid mountain biker and have thought about carrying while on the trails. Lots of big animals in the area. How are you going to carry while biking? I'm not trying to hit a bunch of jumps and drops and have my block go off.

Cougars are skittish, 9mm would scare it away instantly, even if you missed. They're absolute cowards. But yeah always carry in the wild no matter what.

Carrying a gun for mountain lions is pointless. It's even less likely to happen than a school shooting. You should be more worried about accidentally killing yourself with your mountain lion gun.

>dead cyclist
Good

Attached: get off the highway - cyclists.webm (752x560, 713K)

People have killed Alaskan grizzlies with 9mm.

Mountain lions are small shit compared to that.

>mountain biker is the same as some tard riding in middle of the freeway
back to Jow Forums with you city faggot.

Not checking your blind spot before changing lanes.

>Cougars are skittish, 9mm would scare it away instantly, even if you missed.

Well, normally. This attack was really weird. The cat chased the cyclists down, they fought it off, and it kept attacking. Even when the cops showed up and shot at it, it only ran off a little ways, and was lurking in the bushes nearby, presumably looking for someone else to kill, when animal control hunted it down.

Bunch of kids ITT. Big cats like Mountain lion attack from the rear. A pistol is really only good if you accidentally come up on one. Which generally isn't going to happen unless it's injured or distracted.

This is the first mountain lion fatality in decades, stop jerking off.

>retard blazing down a narrow trail
>retard holding up traffic

cyclists deserve the gas

Cougars only weigh about 120, so if you trust 9mm to take down Jamal, it will take down a cat.

Yeah, and? If the choice is between gun or no gun, go for gun.

That's honestly because people think like you. Back in my day we used to respect, but also be wary of nature. Bunch of retards get off innawoods and get eaten by stupid shit, because they have zero preparation.

People died to wild animals back in your day too, grandpa. You're just too senile to remember.

>Yeah, and? If the choice is between gun or no gun, go for gun.
The point is the gun wont stop the attack. Unlike with bear.

The truck driver looks at fault here since hes riding on the shoulder like he missed the turn, but I'm willing to bet he was trying to avoid smashing into the row of bikes traveling 5mph in a 65+ zone.

>The point is the gun wont stop the attack.
It gives you a chance. Big cats (and mountain lions are not that big) are actually pretty bad at killing things. Only a jaguar has the bite force to just end you in one go. You've got time to struggle. So make sure you have the ability to.

Sure we did, but people didn't act like it wasn't something to be worried about. Predator species, due to wildlife protection laws and general change in opinion, are coming back in number in a big way. You have mountain lions and wolves in places they were killed off for decades now coming back. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, we shouldn't be eradicated everything on earth that might hurt somebody. Just saying it's ridiculous to tell someone looking for advice after someone died doing something they're going to do to "quite jerking off".

>the gun wont stop the attack.

>shoot cougar dead
>attack stops

Attached: 1524750808808.png (421x364, 5K)

>This is the first mountain lion fatality in decades

Nonsense. Wiki says there were three in the oughts. Most relevantly, a mountain bicyclist in California that was killed while repairing the chain on his bike.

WAfag here. I live around Sultan Basin which is LITTERED with cougars and I can assure you there's not much you can do to prevent and attack

>"I'll just shoot it lol"
Have fun getting mauled from behind. champ.

Probably. Should get some heavy for caliber 147gr hardcasts in case of a poor shot line though. Better for plowing through bone and shit.

Cats are ambush predators and sneaky fucks. Might want to consider a revolver, if one gets the drop on you(probable if it goes through with the attack) being able to shove that into it's body and get off some hard contact shots while you're being mauled without fear of malfunction may very well prove invaluable. Hard contact shots are worlds apart from normal shots when it comes to terminal effects. All those expanding gases go inside of the target, similar to those co2 anti shark knives.

>Have fun getting mauled from behind.

I'm not your mom m8

>but people didn't act like it wasn't something to be worried about.

I grew up in a rural area out west, where mountain lions weren't hunted down to a notable extent. No one ever gave any fucks about them. Sure, my parents would tell me to stay inside if there was one standing in the yard, but that was mostly so we wouldn't scare it off and could continue to admire it. We'd go running off into the wilderness unsupervised without a care in the world. It wasn't that my parents were careless, no one else worried about their kids being attacked by mountain lions either. Our parents worried about real dangers, like us falling off rocks or out of trees. Mountain lions just don't fuck with people.

>Mountain lions just don't fuck with people.
They're one of like, two species on this continent that will actively stalk and hunt humans.

I carry a single stack gun bicycling everytime, including today. It's more in case a homeless person decides to act badly or something, I don't bother with mountain biking these days because the paved trails are hundreds of miles long around here.

Anyway, as someone who carries a gun cycling, I think i'd rather have a nice fixed blade on me for mountain lion than I would a gun.

Cats almost always attack from behind if they can. You might see them, but if you turn around they will come at you.
youtube.com/watch?v=bZgklu52Rus

>Mountain lions just don't fuck with people.

Well apparently they killed a guy

Attached: 1462428376527.jpg (318x318, 8K)

>~20 fatal attacks in the last 150 years

Wow, it's fucking nothing. More people are killed by dogs each year.

Tits or gtfo.

That's nothing.
youtube.com/watch?v=fzzjgBAaWZw

I see what you did there

youtube.com/watch?v=LuUxhtWE_t0
youtube.com/watch?v=-A-Kez41RpY

I do this with my cat all the time. She is always so happy when she "catches" me.

Cats are not hard to kill so half a mag into a cougar should do it....if you ever see it that is. This is the second biker killed by a cougar in the past 8 years.

Attached: quVugxh[1].jpg (270x480, 43K)

not that user but you must be one of the golden fats of Jow Forums. imagine being mad at mountain bikers on mountain bike trails and equating them to faggot cyclists in the streets.

gas yourself you fat homo

Attached: 1526776772684.jpg (1372x900, 1.07M)

>This is the second biker killed by a cougar in the past 8 years.

The last cyclist killed by a mountain lion was in '04. There was one that rode into a bear a couple years ago.

pfffftt

Fat people are very bitter about cyclists and Jow Forums is full of fat people.

The best part about that picture is the finger in front of the lens.

Attached: F28czkq.jpg (1280x800, 144K)

I feel like I could beat up a mountain lion. No?

Theres a story about some old lady killing a bear with a .22lr, so yeah, with good shot placement you could do it

Punching mountain lions is usually quite effective, as it scares them off. But they do have claws and big teeth. It's hard to keep punching them once your throat has been ripped out.

This might truly be an example of when spray is best. I mean, if it's not on your back it's on your buddies back and if your buddy is flailing around with a mountain lion on his back, spray is probably the safety option.

spay can do weird things if used up close
I know someone who lost an eye and got half the skin on their face wrecked with chemical burns
mind that does take some effort

He meant to say it was first in decades for WA state.

The victim was a trannie, the cat prolly smelled blood from the supperating wound that used to be his dick.

So don't be a fucking trannie and your safe.

Mountain biking is a fucking blast and killer workout, and the standard attire is cargo shorts and a plain workout shirt. No tight pants and definitely no butt butter.

Don't equate a fairy on a 6lb road bike doing a 40-mile ride on level asphalt with me cranking up steep inclines and flying down hills over stumps and roots, and through mud, water, and stinging nettle.

I've probably only met 3-4 fags while mountain biking. The rest are decent dudes it seems.

Attached: 113_0_16_01.jpg (1100x882, 379K)

It's a shame this is so far down. Apparently very few people here can think critically. They must think cougar are the size of a lion or something.

Remember this post when you switch to road bikes in another 10 years, kid.

You can't translate animals like that. You want to criticize others for not thinking critically but that was a pretty ignorant thing for you to say. I've seen a raccoon get shot multiple times and not give a fuck. There's different reactions to pain, different bleed out times etc...

Belly band?

It will never happen. I vomit every time I see the middle-aged SF tech workers getting out and "in touch" with nature for the day. Typically in groups of 30.

I'll give up mountain biking when it gets too hard on the joints. I'm still young enough to take a few more downhill crashes.

Attached: Ibis-Ripley-Driveside - Copy.jpg (850x567, 245K)

I love bicycling
But this is fucking stupid. Cyclists deserve this.

>all this anti cougar posting
op has no /out/ skills, more likely to ND than be protected.

Attached: 1510192290245.jpg (533x400, 41K)

Use someting that haa a firing pin block like a px4, or a revolver wiyh the hammer resting on an empty chamber

>It will never happen
Disco will never die.

Fuck phoneposting

Cougars are fucking small, no way his entire head was in its mouth. Also reading the article
>At that point, the other biker got off from his bike and ran away
That was the one that died. He ditched his friend, and got off his fucking bike to run.
He deserved his Darwin award.

Oh but yeah a 9mm would work fine. You should carry bigger anyway though for bears.

>The cat chased the cyclists down, they fought it off, and it kept attacking.
So they had plenty of time to draw, aim and fire if they had a gun, sucks man. Though like someone said, having a bolstered pistol while mountain biking could be a problem. Maybe carry a big ass knife instead?

Attached: 251.jpg (480x680, 158K)

>the guy our family knew had a knife strapped to his thigh that he used to stab the wanker in the throat
Damn, got any more details on this? I'm having a hard time imagining how anyone managed to last long enough in hand to hand against a fucking puma to stab it in the throat.

>kitty attacks you
>you draw knife
>swing at it
It's not thatc complicated, user.

I'm not an expert animal tracker or anything, but I'm pretty sure it's not as easy as you make it sound. For example, from what I've heard about mountain lions, they'll usually lie in wait until they can attack from behind. Hence the desire for more details, thanks for your insightful and helpful response thought.

Watch cougar videos, they rarely instakill their prey, usually there is a extended grappling fight in which you would definitely have the opportunity to stab the shit out of it.

I grew up riding motocross and mountain biking has always looked fun to me. Too bad I live in Ohio.

A Walther PPS IWB @ 3 o'clock would probably not be any kind of problem whatsoever at all.

A not too big fixed blade in a kydex holster also probably would not be a problem.

However, a fixed blade in a leather holster while mountain biking is a danger and a heavy gun (like a Glock 20) is probably also a no go.

Small pepper spray in your pocket is probably best though.

Really makes you think

Attached: Screenshot_20180520-212924_Chrome.jpg (1080x2220, 733K)

I mean if I was with a "friend" I would have used my bike to smash said cougar. This is was not friendship in all forms.

As long as I carry it on in my car it will never die.

He could at least have RODE the fucking bike to flee.

The guy that got off his bike and booked it on foot died, the guy that stayed on his bike and rode away like a non retard lived.
If this isn't the most simple example of survival of the fittest, I don't know what is.

My buddies who grew up as frequent dirtbikers and then got into mountain biking in their 20s had far more confidence and technical skill when starting out. Most proficiency will transfer over (except being able to kick down a gear and power up the hill that has been kicking your ass for the past 2 miles; the kind where its a 10 degree incline and you keep going around each corner hoping to see the summit).

I bought a dirtbike AFTER having been a mountain biker, and found that the same transfer of skills did not apply in the other direction.

Starting out on a heavier, more powerful beast teaches you what obstacles you can overcome safely, gives you a feel for your turning abilities, teaches you how to maintain traction and bias your weight, and makes you unafraid of the (relatively) slow crashes that can happen on a mountain bike.

>called 911 and screamed HELP
>That's it

Meant to tag you in this: post

There are 3 documented cases where 9mm killed a bear in Alaska, which has the biggest goddamn bears in the world.

I mean, it's not impossible. Unless you're panicking like a motherfucker, it has your good arm and you can't reach for your knife, or some other circumstance, you have good reach with your arm. And not many other prey animals have two hands that can manipulate a piece of sharp steel, otherwise predators would have a much harder time without getting cut and stabbed to shit.

Teddy Roosevelt killed the Colorado state record in 1901 (with a Bowie Knife). The record stood until 2005 when a guy bagged this 220 pound beast.
outdoorlife.com/articles/-editors/2007/09/besting-roosevelts-lion

If you happen to get jumped by a lion, chances are you won't see it coming. And lel at those faggy mountain bikers buddy fucking each other like that.

It doesn't matter if it's an animal or a human. It's all about hits to the vitals.
As usual, we have to look at the infamous 1986 FBI Miami shootout. A perp (no body armor and no drugs) was hit 11 times but continued to fight until someone shot him in the brain.

What is this obsession with shot placement with small caliber rounds? Just nail the bastard with .45 or 10mm and hit him wherever you want.

what's wrong with at least carrying a knife or even folding knife when you go out into the woods? Sure, attacks like these are rare, but doing or not doing certain simple things because the need is rare is the dumbest mindset ever.

road bikes are for faggots.

Attached: roadies.jpg (455x600, 28K)

Pretty much this
I'm planning on going on a mtn lion hunt here in montana and the guy taking me usually uses a 22mag with his dogs. Obviously a treed lion is different than one trying to eat you but they aren't particularly tough anything that would kill a person will readily kill a lion.

Chest holster like backpackers use.

Attached: 20171111_171645.jpg (2880x2160, 1.15M)

That's how 911 works. Call, yell help, police teleport in. It's why we don't need guns.