Ask me handgun questions

>ITT: ask me handgun, pistol shooting, ccw related topics and I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities

Attached: 1516264771391.jpg (1417x807, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYqiOqBy2WM8FNCocZnQCXwUuUMuqqyTE
youtube.com/watch?v=LnfhMKr9hQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=sR_MJTKBIzk&
youtube.com/watch?v=RueRL1AxiRw&
pistol-training.com/drills
pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2124-Printable-Targets
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If a self defence situation happens in a blue state I'm guessing you won't get your gun back? Haven't felt a need to because my state is so anti gun (IL)

I'll take you up user:

115gr or 124gr for a 9mm defensive load? +P or non +P? It needs to perform well out of both a G19 and G26. I'm done with the 147gr loads I've been carrying; they just don't perform reliably in human analog tests

I like shooting one handed better than shooting with both hands properly. What do

Attached: Charles.gif (450x250, 977K)

What do you do with your other hand? Also if it's accurate and fast, then literally no problems. If anything you'll get lightning quick reloads since you can always keep a hand on your extra magazines.

Usually I keep it just down by my side. I try to shoot as fast as I would with both hands.

>If a self defence situation happens in a blue state I'm guessing you won't get your gun back?

There would be more pressing matters to me than losing a gun. Lawyer fees are incredibly expensive (2 hours could be $500), there will be a mental aspect of surviving a lethal force encounter and your freedom is in potential jeopardy with a possibility of having to take up a plea bargain.

I really do not have the answer to that but this is what I believe to be more important than your initial question. Just understand that it isn't really important. I can link you to a good video on lethal force aftermath if you are interested.

>115gr or 124gr for a 9mm defensive load?

I would stick with either 124gr +P Gold Dots or 147gr HST. 124gr standard pressure Gold Dots are fine, so is HST. Doctor Gary Roberts who is well versed in ballistics recommends both of these rounds but stick with something established in terms of real world use and make sure it cycles reliabily in your gun. Winchester Seeing how far a certain round penetrates in ballistic gelatin isn't really important.

I can post links to good resources on ballistics by Doctor Gary Roberts.
>If anything you'll get lightning quick reloads since you can always keep a hand on your extra magazines.

How about shooting with both hands, ensuring you do not miss thanks to your second hand helping manage recoil so you don't have to reload?

Attached: 1501396127237.jpg (1125x501, 115K)

>How about shooting with both hands
I could, user. I just prefer one handed. I shoot with both but I have a little baby glock and i'm a big nigga and my hands have little room.

>Also if it's accurate and fast, then literally no problems.

If is a big little word you absolute buffoon. If user has a superior shooting strategy tailored to his biology then there's no need for him to bow to conventional standards. It's unlikely he shoots as quickly and accurately with one hand than he does two but if he gets good...

Well try a bunch and actually shoot that way. Why not practice super speedy reloads on the side too, especially considering it triggers op.

My left eye is dominant but i am right handed. Should i aim with my left eye, my right eye (with the left eye closed) or with both eyes open?

Attached: 1485291794769.jpg (849x1200, 242K)

That's why you don't use gucci guns for HD silly. Even if you do get it back in this shit state it will come back to you rusted and/or any attachments will be "missing"

kek I also read often in shootings people don't get the chance to get both hands on their gun and maybe on some level i'm practicing for that moment where I don't get a comfy, perfect grip.

Try shooting for score using a target such as a 6 inch circle at 7 yards with one hand and then both hands on the gun right after. Measuring performance with a timer and scored target is a good way of gauging what really works for you and what doesn't. Knowing how to shoot with one hand is extremely important for self defense because you may have your support hand preoccupied with something (holding a child, opening a door, moving a family member to safety) as you need a gun but understand it is far better to use both hands.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYqiOqBy2WM8FNCocZnQCXwUuUMuqqyTE

I take it that you're shooting either a G26 or G27? What size is your body? You may be able to get away with carrying a Glock 19 or even a Glock 17 sized gun which will allow you to shoot better with than a subcompact along with possibly helping you get all your fingers on the gun while shooting.

Attached: 1516780545373.jpg (800x600, 66K)

150 steps ahead, as always. What if a criminal grabs your non-dominant hand really sensually?! What if you have a seizure and only your right side is still functional?

We all need to be more like you tbqh.

Whats the fastest way to draw a pistol in general?

>Try shooting for score using a target such as a 6 inch circle at 7 yards with one hand and then both hands on the gun right after.
Will do. Sounds like a simple easy drill. I'm kinda new to handguns and carrying. You mentioned a timer, I'm a college poorfag so is there some app I could use on my phone?
>may have your support hand preoccupied
Yeah that was my thinking after doing some reading and watching some YT videos
>I take it that you're shooting either a G26 or G27?
I have a 26
>What size is your body?
I'm samoan dude 6'3'' 260 ish.
>What if a criminal grabs your non-dominant hand really sensually?!
mfw
>We all need to be more like you tbqh.
Thanks user i'm kinda trying to learn.

Attached: 1476238041144.gif (400x303, 2.93M)

>My left eye is dominant but i am right handed. Should i aim with my left eye, my right eye (with the left eye closed) or with both eyes open?

I really can't answer this question unfortunately. I'm right handed and right eye dominant so no knowledge on this.

Consider checking out this video. Aaron Cowan is a very knowledgeable instructor.

youtube.com/watch?v=LnfhMKr9hQ8

This is a very real possibility. There are a few videos you can find on Active Self Protections Youtube channel where you see this exact thing. Now, do you practice one handed drawstrokes where you can reliabily clear your cover garment, deliver multiple accurate hits where shots need to be in a reasonable amount of time?

It's actually good that you practice one handed. Most people straight up avoid doing it because they suck at it and it makes them feel bad for trying.

>Whats the fastest way to draw a pistol in general?

There isn't one technique. It all depends on your cover garment, mode of carry depending on IWB or AIWB, if you have injuries on your arms that prohibit you from moving a certain range of motion.

Attached: 1509655496581.webm (600x450, 657K)

*a bunch at once getting my CCL soon

>Now, do you practice one handed drawstrokes where you can reliabily clear your cover garment, deliver multiple accurate hits where shots need to be in a reasonable amount of time?
Not yet the class i'm taking the guy said they cover it during the shooting portion so I thought maybe I'd learn hands on. Plus the range near me is indoor and kinda strict I doubt they'd allow it. As of now I just recently got a holster for it to bring to my class.

link video pls

>Will do. Sounds like a simple easy drill. I'm kinda new to handguns and carrying. You mentioned a timer, I'm a college poorfag so is there some app I could use on my phone?

A timer used in competition shooting is very useful for shooting drills and keeping time. However they are around $100 so it is something you may not be able to afford. Which is 100% fine, you can find some shot timer apps for your phone that will do the job relatively okay. A shot timer will be able to record each individual shot and time it but a phone app won't work too well doing this but what it can do is have a par time.

youtube.com/watch?v=sR_MJTKBIzk&

Something like a bill drill (6 shots at a 6 or 8 inch circle at 7 yards) will be a decent drill to try out.

Here's a link to a bunch of good drills to try out when you get to the range. Some people like to buy 100 packs of targets some trainers use for abut $70 a piece. I used to do that but there is really nothing wrong with making a 6 inch circle with a sharpie for a chest and a 3x5 for a headbox which saves you considerable amounts of money for training.

>G26
>I'm samoan dude 6'3'' 260 ish.

For sure. You are huge as fuck and you will have zero problems carrying a Glock 17 given that you use a quality belt and holster. I am 135lbs 5'7 and carried a Glock 34 for some time and carry a 19 everyday. I can help you on this on later posts.

>link video pls

It is quite lengthy but you can listen on as you read. A quick rundown
>guy gets into a defensive shooting after having a bottle cracked on his head at a party, getting attacked
>pulls out a gun, blows the top of his attackers heart with a single shot, killing him
>gets into a legal battle that costs him $150,000 (not $15,000 or $1,500)

youtube.com/watch?v=RueRL1AxiRw&

Attached: 1515268663032.jpg (1500x1466, 592K)

forgot to link to drills

pistol-training.com/drills

printable targets
pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2124-Printable-Targets

I'll just look for a shot timer app or whatever the closest I can find.
>Some people like to buy 100 packs of targets some trainers use for abut $70 a piece. I used to do that but there is really nothing wrong with making a 6 inch circle with a sharpie for a chest and a 3x5 for a headbox which saves you considerable amounts of money for training.
I have a shit ton of blank flash cards from school I never used. Would those work?
>Glock 17
I got a really good deal from a buddy so I went with the 26. No doubt that or a 19 would feel better in hand. Whats something to look for in a good gun belt?

>I have a shit ton of blank flash cards from school I never used. Would those work?

Absolutely. One thing about using smaller, more demanding targets is that it will make shooting larger targets, easier. The idea behind using a smaller target like a 3x5 or 6 inch circle superimposed on the high upper chest area is that it will make for more demanding shooting standards along with being anatomically correct targets.

>Whats something to look for in a good gun belt?

Are you carrying AIWB or IWB?

Attached: 1512365141628.jpg (750x750, 177K)

>3x5
Yup those are the ones
>Are you carrying AIWB or IWB?
IWB

Ok guys, i've got a problem with my Glock 17 Gen4. I shot around 2000-3000 rds with it. But i'm all over the fucking target.

If i shoot a Glock 19 of a buddy or a HK SFP9 i can manage solid groupings.

Should i send my glock 17 to Glock?
I really cant help myself with it.

Is a belly band most comfortable way to cc if I'm out running?

/thread
you dont know what the fuck youre talking aboot

>IWB

I'm not 100% on IWB carry gear but consider the Wilderness instructor belt or Volund Gear Works Atlas G Hook. There are plenty of good belts that I can recommend but have no experience with. I only have experience with the slim G Hook variant but carry AIWB exclusively.

I would point you to PistolForum at this point and you can search around there on the archives. Those are the people who have much more experience and knowledge on these topics and I learn a lot of what I know from there. Highly suggest checking them out for shooting topics as well.

>Is a belly band most comfortable way to cc if I'm out running?

Carrying a gun while jogging is something I'm trying to figure out too. I'm thinking of buying a S&W 442 to carry AIWB while jogging.

Can't really tell you what is going on. You will need to run some side by side tests with both the 17 and 19 provided that they have similar configurations. A test of mechanical accuracy in a pistol could be 10rds of slowfire on a B8 at 25 yards which may be difficult for you to do. Most people will not be able to outshoot their gun so it could be a possibility that it is how you use the gun. Strange how it could be so drastic going from a 17 to 19 which should shoot almost identically.

>Strange how it could be so drastic going from a 17 to 19 which should shoot almost identically.
its probably the hump in the grip

Great thanks user. I'll check out the pistol forums and see what's up.

You’re welcome. I used to be frustrated, trying to find good answers to the questions I had and when a kind user pointed me to PF two years ago, I got what I was looking for, at least most of it. There, you will find the people who take pistol shooting very seriously and you will learn just by lurking.

Pistol-Training has plenty of good articles too. Also check out Varg Freeborn’s Youtube page as well as Practically Tactical and Primary and Secondary’s podcasts for good info.

I’m out, hope you learned some stuff. I always like to pass down info