ITT overrated weapons that actually kinda suck

The BAR is a cool gun that in all actuality is kind of an insane piece of crap designed before anyone really knew how to make a light machine gun.

Attached: 1200px-Army_Heritage_Museum_B.A.R..jpg (1200x390, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

oowinc.com/product/h-c-a-r-package-2/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2skyrYr_w
top.quora.com/How-effective-were-ARVN-soldiers-during-the-Vietnam-War-when-led-by-competent-officers-and-under-American-air-support
m.youtube.com/watch?v=kp0KGpBFG60
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don’t know anyone who thinks the BAR is anything but a range toy in this day and age.

Attached: image.jpg (500x400, 196K)

M1 Garand and every derivative of offshoot (m14, bm59, m1a, mini 14...)
Heavy, useless guns. Can't handle modern .30-06 without breaking the oprod. Laughably delicate and open action means it will jam up and clog from almost any environmental hazard. For the other guns, .308 isnt amazing, 5.56 is dogshit. All derivative garand sthle guns retain the same reliability failures of their parent rifle. If you're not using an AR you're retarded.

ITT: We judge guns without looking at the context of their design or time period.

>The atl atl is still a viable combat weapon!
t. You

>The BAR is a cool gun that in all actuality is kind of an insane piece of crap designed before anyone really knew how to make a light machine gun.

I think the BAR was a decent idea for a platoon's designated light machine gun in an era where most of the soldiers would have had bolt action rifles which aren't very effective for suppressing fire.

Attached: 1493292939295.jpg (540x720, 58K)

Good for cheap laughs, but I think it's not all that great for military use. Especially with the development of body armor.

Attached: image.jpg (640x279, 20K)

Hypothetical situation for you: You're fighting on the front on some god-forsaken island in the pacific in 1943. If you could pick any period specific rifle (semi-auto or bolt) to carry, what would you choose?

who won the war?

NOT an LMG; an Automatic Rifle!

>NOT an LMG; an Automatic Rifle!

If you put it on a mount doesn't it become a light machine gun?

>hurr just git an ayy arr teh only gun you'll ver neeeed
Oh my god fuck off
Are you fucking aware that people like guns for reasons other than LARPing as a SEAL? Jesus H glockfags and arfags are the most insufferable people in the gun community. Fuck.

MG42

always bugged me how these had such a small magazine for a weapon filling the role of a machine gun

Well t b h, the M1918 BAR was created during a time when most practical LMGs had either 20-30 round magazines. So I don't really blame them for a short magazine, but the BAR none of the less proved to be a reliable and great weapon for the trenches during WW1.

>i failed reading comprehension
t. you

user, he said "carry" and the MG42 with ammo is way heavier than the plate of tendies you're used to.

>an insane piece of crap designed before anyone really knew how to make a light machine gun
People did very much know how to make a light machine gun, though. The Madsen gun had been around since the 1890's. But the BAR was never meant to be a light machine gun, it was designed for "walking fire" with multiple soldiers armed with the thing advancing on a trench while firing from the hip. And it was perfectly good at that purpose, they would serve into the Vietnam War being used in essentially the way they were designed to function in 1918.

If you stuck a pistol grip and a less shitty bipod on it, it became a perfectly good light machine gun up to par with anything available until the MG 34. Colt and FN both made these for export and commercial sale, but the US Army never adopted them for one reason or another.

Attached: Polish BAR.jpg (650x488, 62K)

>If you could pick any period specific rifle (semi-auto or bolt) to carry, what would you choose?
Definitely an M1 Carbine.

It still is. I don’t think a big fucking spear peircing your body has got any less lethal in this millennium

How did that happen?

Attached: image.jpg (1024x911, 220K)

>tendies
>not superior nuggies
Get a load of this pleb

I sometimes daydream of robbing a bank while shooting my way out with a BAR :(

Atl atl spears are just oversized darts. They kill via poison, not by piercing.

> not daydreaming about a bank shootout in LA with full auto ARs and FALs.

Filthy casual.

Attached: image.jpg (500x206, 123K)

They had some power behind them and were quite capable of bringing down large game.

At the time, the BAR was a impressive feat of engineering that was superseded in its original purpose as a "trench broom" by the submachine gun. Thus, while JMB may have fallen short in his conceptualization of the BAR, his execution of that concept was superb by contemporary standards. At the time, mag-fed automatic weapons were often awkward and unreliable, and the BAR was neither of those. Calling it a "piece of crap" is inaccurate, IMO.

>weapon can't fire a cartridge that it wasn't designed to use

I'd forgotten that all the nogunz states had just finished classes for the summer

Attached: 1509448881596.png (625x626, 129K)

>oowinc.com/product/h-c-a-r-package-2/

id pick the garand because 30-06 drops a nigger in one hit

I would honestly rather have an actual BAR than that thing in combat. It's not a modern rifle, and can't be no matter how hard you try.

*breathes in*
BAR
M1911
M14
SCAR
Beretta M9
ALL bolt actions at this point
ALL revolvers at this point
Galil and its variants
Dragunov and its variants
SKS
Sten

Attached: ol.png (131x182, 54K)

>can't handle modern .30-06
>being the fault of the gun

The entire fucking problem is that velocity-obsessed fudds with bolt guns demand .30-06 loaded to far above the actual military spec, because deer have apparently evolved into super-predators requiring a 180gr bonded bullet at 2800fps. SAAMI needs to do what they did with .257 Roberts and give +P .30-06 a separate designation.

PTR fag here. Literally why the SCAR? Even a .308 poorfag like me knows it's a great firearm. Not even salty about the grapes.

>insulting Auntie BAR
EXPLODE

Attached: M1918_costume3.png (1024x1024, 345K)

I want to rob a bank in a police uniform with a illegal full auto converted tec 9 with 2 50 round mags ductaped together
this shit fits this thread like gloves

Attached: Town-4.jpg (1280x536, 115K)

I've alerted the FBI to your plans. Have a nice day :^)

YOU WILL NEVER CATCH ME ALIVE

I would actually like an M1 that takes detachable mags. The en-blocks seem awkward to me.

But, if it were early war like Guadalcanal, I wouldn't mind the Springfield. Better than nothing, if that was all that's available at the time. I would just have to make it work the best I can (Mad Minute).

>M1911
What's wrong with wanting the best trigger in town?

>Beretta M9
What's wrong with a solid DA/SA 9mm?

>Galil and its variants
What's wrong with a product improved AK?

>SCAR
What's wrong with you being poor?

>ALL bolt actions at this point
>ALL revolvers at this point
I can't help you with this one, I'm not sure how you could think this.

He was just being edgy for the sake of being edgy

> I would actually like an M1 that takes detachable mags. The en-blocks seem awkward to me
You mean an M14?

I used to have a Luxembourg FN49. Only shit thing about that beautiful rifle was the stripper clip loading...wish I had gotten an Argentinian model with the detachable .308 mag.

Brainlet.
An atl atl might not be the newesr hottest thing on the block but it'll still give you a sucking chest wound just fine.
Those 'darts' absolutely fly out

Found the 15 year old.

Nigger

Just got done re reading With the Old Breed. If I remember correct, the BAR was one of the few weapons the nips would actually take and use

>muh body armor
nigger 1st world countries dont fight each other

>it was fielded into the vietnam war
it was dumped off to jungle gooks while actual soldiers benefited from R&D

>Glock
for all the talk about them exploding they are pretty shit 'nades, threw one and it did blow up. 0/10.

Fucking this
I hate the SCAR, even I recognize that it's pretty fucking okay and does well in its role. Even if it is overpriced, overhyped, and ugly as sin.

there was never a mount for the BAR

literal professionals with on average a decade of individual combat experience and more rounds downrange than you will ever have and virtually unlimited funding for gear lists voluntarily take a $400 plastic lol 9mm pistol into combat.
xd glockfags

not an LMG

after watching some of the WW2-era films on infantry weapons, the BAR wasn't really described as a weapon for suppressing fire like a traditional LMG like the MG 42 or M1919 so much as it was meant to give more accurate firepower to the squad. since it could fire more accurate shots a minute than your average rifleman, it cleared up some space for regular riflemen to do stuff like flank the enemy.

Not yet, anyway.

For the time period it was in, no.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2skyrYr_w

BARs were routinely broken by being pressed into suppressive fire rolls. It was never meant to be an LMG, the MG 08/18 was the first LMG.

He was just trying to be edgy. Suggsessful droll :DDDD

I had a friend that was USMC on Guadalcanal, he carried a 1903, a 1911A1 and Molotov cocktails (for the tanks). Your not man enough to speak on the subject

So basically the grandfather of the battle rifle. Never thought of it that way.

arvn actually had higher combat effectiveness, see:
top.quora.com/How-effective-were-ARVN-soldiers-during-the-Vietnam-War-when-led-by-competent-officers-and-under-American-air-support

>ar 15 good
>556 bad
only reason i would ever want one is to shoot bullets i didn't buy
if i buy some retard round, i can't even share mags

why bother

Literally my fucking point.

> I want a weapon from the time period, but I want to change these things until it is literally a weapon designed 20 years later.

Shut up you stupid nugger

There were prototype garands that took modified BAR magazines

t. poorfag fudd retard.
>ARs only come in 5.56
>calling anyone else nogunz

Must be why the marines and SEALS carry FN made Atl Atls. Oh wait, they don't. It's an outdated and worthless weapon, get over it Grogg.

>you're not man enough
>because of a "wrong" opinion
>from a culture that wants everything on a silver platter

I beg to differ.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=kp0KGpBFG60

Garand style speed since 1914. Gotta love it.

StG44

>Looks at price
Fuck off shill

M1 carbine because fuck carrying around heavy things.

Not every country is as fortunate as ours. Until lower end people obtain something better, they have to work with what's at hand.

Pic related. Bubba'd up Ozzie FAL from Vietnam. It's ugly, but better than the original design in jungle fighting.

Attached: image.jpg (600x221, 66K)

>Heavy, useless guns. Can't handle modern .30-06 without breaking the oprod. Laughably delicate and open action means it will jam up and clog from almost any environmental hazard.

You can get an aftermarket Graand gas plug for like $15 that lets it eat modern .30-06 no problem. Also, [citation needed] for Granad and its derivatives being fragile. I've always heard from WWII and Vietnam reports that both the Garand and the M14 were very rugged but did require regular maintenance moreso for the wood furniture than anything else.

I will give you heavy and obsolete though. The weight was one of the amin complaints from guys in Nam who had to hump the M14 with a bunch of extra gear that the WWII guys didn't have to carry.

So does 30 carbine

Attached: 1526962157433.jpg (254x334, 53K)

See

Many American soldiers carried BARs in Vietnam, mostly ones they got from the ARVNs.

I know I shouldn't, but I want it.

Attached: The new HCAR with the old BAR.jpg (500x500, 119K)

Stuff it you tendy tailed pleb.

Wow uncle bubba tell me more about the troops in the Pacific ditching their M1s for the far more reliable Arisaka. Huh, this seems familiar somehow.
They had their moments.

Attached: ARVN C O M M I E S T O M P E R.jpg (602x407, 86K)

Give it up Coughlin!

>Graand
Nope.
>Granad
Almost.
>Garand
There you go.

>ditching M1's for Arisakas
Good point. I'm pretty sure that Korean Nationalists at the time would have appreciated the unwanted surplus, though. Pic related.

Attached: image.jpg (600x370, 65K)

I don't understand why people on this board try to hold the BAR up to modern standards. Or try to compare it to contemporary GPMGs like the MG42 and 1919.

It was literally the first squad-level suppression weapon in the world to actually be employed in any real numbers and still managed to be lighter and more controlable than later designs like the Bren.

mp40 and 6x30 mags hot loaded 9mm.

Attached: IMG-20180610-WA0000.jpg (1024x576, 65K)

As a light machine gun, the BAR was inferior both to designs that preceded it (like the Madsen) and the interwar designs the Americans were trying to ape in use (like the FM 24/29 or ZB-26).

>enjoy your pop gun.
Only correct answer is the Remington Model 8 with extendo clip

>AIN'T NEVA BIN DUN BEFO'

>fuck carrying around heavy things.
Yea I don't think you'd do so well in a war

Yeah bro you tell him that's why all modern soldiers carry 20 pound BARs in .30-06 around instead of 7 pound plastic rifles in 5.56mm.

Attached: stinger.jpg (745x420, 173K)

With 70 lb rucks on, you know gear has weight right?

This. You cannot understand history without understanding weapons, and you cannot understand weapons without understanding history.
That doesn't mean atlatls are any less good. It just means there are better options available now.

Walking fire was never a good idea. As an LMG it was suboptimal. The best you can say about it was that it was at least was a very heavy semi-auto rifle.

>gun designed for walking fire in 1918 sucks as a machine gun in 1941

>gun designed 20 years before another was ever conceived, is inferior.
Also ar18 and its offshoots are better.

>gun that was known for reliability issues because the round wasn't high pressure enough to reliably cycle and only got use because it was 5lb and radios where 40.

Attached: 1507010326218.png (634x924, 101K)

it was as WWI gun forced to find relevance two decades past it's expiration date. So of course any branding like "Walking Fire" tm copyright the DoD could shit out was going to be stuck to it to make it seem like not a relic.

>known for reliability issues because the round wasn't high pressure enough to reliably cycle
I know the Inlands suck, user, but don't take it out on the M1.

>Also ar18 and its offshoots are better.

Attached: 1512326729959.jpg (1200x1000, 174K)

>he doesn't know history.
I can't help your ignorance.

>scar
>Aug
>tavor
>g36
>acr
>l85
The shear number of guns that are based on the ar18. Not that a noguns would know.

Basic training actually consists of learning how to contort your organs within your torso to avoid lethal injury from melee weapons. Bullets are still lethal because you don't have time to move your organs to avoid it.