/meg/ Military Enlistment General

Previous: Kim Edition

LYEING ABOUT MEDICAL HISTORY = GOOD
LYIENG ABOUT CRIMINAL HISTORY = BAD
LYEING ON A POLYGRAPH = DEPENDS ON IF YOU'RE A GOOD LOYER

>Do your own research to start, then come here for clarification.
>No vague questions, like "What job is best?"
>Discord
>discordapp.com/invite/ZJPxxTj
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

pastebin.com/0K6MFcUZ
Guides to prepare for high-speed shit. (SEAL, Ranger etc.)

Resources:
Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff.

uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

airwarriors.com/community/
>Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
US Army High school to Flight school

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
>pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke?
No.
i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png
tl;dr: Long hard school, to do shitty work, and the job prospects are a lie.

CG info
gocoastguard.com/family-and-friends/the-helmsman/required-knowledge

READ THIS BEFORE ASKING CLEARANCE QUESTIONS KTHX
opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf

Attached: 1528866471877.jpg (1702x1095, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sealswcc.com/pdf/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first

reposting from last thread:
So maybe I'm legit retarded but how does holiday block leave work? I have an option 40 contract and supposedly I'm finishing osut in late november (though IDK if I'm in that new infantry pilot program or not since I ship at the end of July) and I'm kinda confused here.
Is it a send-everyone-home-for-3-weeks kind of deal? Is it at a commander's discretion? Is it optional whether you go home or stay on base?
t. actual retard

Attached: 1528814215998.png (1372x1280, 880K)

They will brief you.
Everybody takes leave.

Reposting from last bread
Does anyone here have any experience with State Defense Forces? Are they worthwhile or should someone only look into the National Guard?

>LYEING ABOUT MEDICAL HISTORY = GOOD

Is it easy to get a medical waiver for childhood asthma for the National Guard? I keep reading online is that its better to just get a medical waiver if you were diagnosed with asthma as a child and haven't had any symptoms after you turn 13.

if you havent had an attack or use anything asma related for that long dont say anything about it. they wont waste resources to dig into your medical history and itll just cause more unnecessary steps that could possibly dq you.

I finally watched Black Hawk Down, it was pretty okay. I'm not much of a film critic, but it did make me glad I'm going intel. Although it did make being a pilot seem awesome, especially the little birds.

Attached: Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Smug.jpg (1920x816, 517K)

>I finally watched Black Hawk Down, it was pretty okay.
I want to harm you so badly right now

Attached: 1475219768387.png (306x294, 64K)

How hard is tech school for something like army 17C? Should you even go army if you want to do computer stuff, seems like most nerds choose air force. I think I know how to computer but I've no real formal training.

Attached: 1408231685969.png (650x487, 577K)

Pretty meh. Less funding, less benefits, less cool jobs. Might as well just do National Guard.
Army ain't bad for it. The benefit with the Army and National Guard is that there's more assurity that you'd get your position but overall the Air Force and Navy have good programs too. Also consider 25 series (25s is probably the best at the moment) and 35t for other computer/networking mos's.

How often do 68C jobs come up? I was hoping to snag a slot instead of settling for 68W.

Attached: 1528682050130.png (1080x1080, 690K)

They are all bullshit. Just join the NG since its actually the real army or airforce.

I know right, it always bothered me in movies how no one knew what the fuck was going on, and it usually could have been solved by some 35G reading a fucking map and relaying that info to the dudes who were lost.

Not sure. But whats your end goal? Getting out and going rn?

Conversely, you can not take the leave and end up not even going to work during that time, but that's heavily depending on your SNCO's. When I got to my first(and only) unit I arrvied just before everyone went on Christmas block leave. We did check in stuff for about a week, then everyone was gone. Some Sergeant just pulled those of us left and said "Ok, here's the duty roster, otherwise call me if you have any problems and keep your phone on you so I can keep track of you guys. See you after Christmas." So I get to essentially get two weeks of free leave in Hawaii.

>Getting out and going rn?
That's what I'm eyeing at right now, and I feel that going 68C would best facilitate that. Worst case scenario is I'll do 4 years 68W and go back to college on the GI Bill.

He's a fucking weab, what do you expect?

Going 68c, getting your lpn at the end of ait is a good plan.

But if you want a faster way to RN, go reserves, 68c army or ng, come back home and work as an lpn part time as you work on your BSN during army reserve reserve rotc which pays for your degree under scolarship. Then as a reservist, you get priority hiring working at the military hospitals as a civ full time job or in uniform. But thats just something to keep in mind as another option.

>It's counter-intuitive but your odds might be higher if you picked some lame-ass MOS and then put in a special forces packet.
>As a combat arms or infantryman guy your unit will monopolize 100% of your time and offer you basically nothing in return but back to back field problems and daily barracks rooms inspections at 5am. It's highly regimented and that'll limit your ability to pursue ambitions like packet school shit.

solid post by an user from the last thread, sharing it again here

This isnt true though. The best way is to just go 11b opt 40 out the gate. Or even better gamble and go 18x. You just need to be realistic about your physical fitness.

Not him, but imo there are different levels of career safety when it comes to this topic. The safest route is picking a good solid mos to fall back on if you fail selections. Mid level safety is going 11x op40 and hope they even let you or give you the time to train up and prepare for selections. High risk is going 18x and then becoming needs of army for 5 years until you can reclass.

IMO anyone even considering SOF job area should prepare months ahead before attempting. If youre not prepared now, but need to join and leave home now, then go for the safer options.

>Mid level safety is going 11x op40 and hope they even let you or give you the time to train up and prepare for selections
This doesnt make any sense. If you can pass RASP you can pass SFAS guranteed.

he was talking about the gamble of 18X, is the regimented life of combat arms not as stringent as he says?

Don't know if this should be its on separate thread but are there any good combat fitness related routines before going into the army? Ruck marching, certain mock drills etc.

Im guessing they will teach you that once your in?

For normal vanilla infantry sure. Its a cath all for retards so they micro manage you. If youre in regiment thats completely different.

>You just need to be realistic about your physical fitness.

Are there any recommended programs given on here to prep for selection?

Theres a guide section in the OP containing prep plans

see for the love of fuck why do OP templates even exist when you retards dont ever look at them

>for the love of fuck why do OP templates even exist when you retards dont ever look at them

Teens today have para-normally short attention spans.

Lol fuck no

Ummm no. Two totally different sets of standards and training goes on in each. Remember, rasp is just to let you get in regiment, its all physical toughness type stuff. Selections tests on a whole bunch of things, you gotta actually think while you do all that physical shit. Apparently they trivia your ass while you do everything.

Explain what you mean so i can embarass you. Cause RASP has a higher fail % and is well known to be more physically demanding. SFAS is more mental/team orientated thats why they recommend you do it later so youre more mature.
But again please try and explain so i can embarass you.
I know you shit head. Look at the context I said that in. We were talking initial entry. So if you are in good shape come in with 11b opt 40, spend some time in regiment, get your tab, then drop an sfas packet after your first enlistment.

>come in with 11b opt 40, spend some time in regiment, get your tab, then drop an sfas packet after your first enlistment
Thats a possibility, but you know you might not even get your ranger tab during the first enlistment? Its not a guarantee you get one at all, they just push people through as spots open up.

And since thats the case, its essentially the same as going in as any other mos in regards to just picking up selections. Going op40 just gives you the chance to kick doors and eventually pick up a tab, while working in an above average unit.

They are decent but they are not near optimal, something people can attest to has value as a program vs coming from a recruiting website

>but you know you might not even get your ranger tab during the first enlistment?
wrong, you have 18 months max to get your tab from what ive heard and if you fail they kick your ass out of regiment.
>And since thats the case, its essentially the same as going in as any other mos in regards to just picking up selections.
Wrong, going through full infantry osut will help out and give you a leg up in terms of prep especially when going to rasp.

>but they are not near optimal
how the fuck do you know fat boy?

>going through full infantry osut will help out and give you a leg up in terms of prep especially when going to rasp
Implying

You do know other MOS make it through rasp all the time straight after ait and airborne right?

Brainlet i said give a leg up, a leg up, a leg up
That doesnt imply no one else cant you shit head.

Is it retard hours on k right now? wtf is going on

You know what else would give a leg up, going through 68F AIT and literally doing body conditioning and recover shit.

The 17C curriculum is solid. JCAC does an alright job of turning randos into entry level SOC analysts. The six months at fort Gordon are always getting fucked with but that’s really where the fun begins. You’ll do completely fine and honestly even excel if you prep just a bit

have you even read it yourself?

sealswcc.com/pdf/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf

they offer basic guidelines samples for strength training, there are more optimal ways to increase speed and endurance.

that's why i asked for something beyond whats stickied that people here can attest to, vs a site that is looking for bodies

not anyone youre responding to, but I like these guys mtntactical.com

I did one of the preps with a buddy when he was preparing for rasp and ranger school.

IM not saying youre wrong, but you answered your own question. You can just use thoe as guidelines and then taylor the program to yourself based off your needs. No one is gonna know what you need besides you dude. Make a custom plan and just use those as jumping off points.

This guide is solid for getting started. Obviously there are different perspectives but my advice is to look at the physical requirements for the selection course you wish to attend, look for plans that cover it, and then take what you need from those plans to fit your own level of fitness. For instance, I'm not really a solid runner so I'm only spending 3 days / week in the gym but I'm also spending 5-6 days / week running (everything from hill sprints to long slow runs). The APFT is a solid benchmark to start out mainly honestly just to see if you have the discipline to actually train up but you really want to get more specific with your training and match it to the types of movements and exercises you'll have to do at your selection course.

For example, I've basically created my own plan for SFAS from mtnathlete shit, some other strength based training stuff some SOF buddies gave me, and a running plan from an ultramarathoner / ironman friend. The biggest point is making sure you can lift heavy shit for long periods of time in different positions with varying levels of intensity. One last thing, learn some mobility exercises. I don't mean like yoga but like actually learning how to use your muscles individually and also how to use them together.

Do they serve eggs for bekfast at MCRT?

Yup. In chow hall for breakfast it's usually like eggs, bacon, sausage, and some other shit.

>The best way is to just go 11b opt 40 out the gate. Or even better gamble and go 18x. You just need to be realistic about your physical fitness.

This almost makes me feel like it's not unrealistic if you're in great shape and can tough things out

Its very realisitc. The majority of 18x failures drop before sfas. thats cause its stupid COD kids who arent actually in shape.

Pretty much. SOPC hold is honestly harder physically than most shit in SFAS besides team week.

Whats up anons, I just completed 19D OSUT, heading to airborne school, AMA.

cont
Also, does anyone have experience with air assault? Apparently the unit im getting assigned to after airborne pushes guys into it.

>SOPC hold is honestly harder physically than most shit in SFAS besides team week.

so if you can make it through that and keep the momentum going, you should be looking pretty good

Yup. At that point, it's knowing your land nav, not being a bitch on the nasty nick, and not being a dick during team week (while also actually putting out). If you can get through SOPC hold and SOPC, you are physically fit enough to pass SFAS. Oh and just not doing stupid shit like walking on roads during the STAR. Just remember to bring a good novel.

Just finished Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer on recommendation by another user. Was fucking good and insightful. Anyone got any other good military books?

What are you interested in? Historical nonfiction? Leadership stuff? Really good novels? Some ancient interesting Greek and Roman classics on war?

All from an user about a week ago, i saved his list so I'll share it again

Warrior Diplomat: A Green Beret's Battles from Washington to Afghanistan

Dirty Wars: The World Is a Battlefield (super lefty but good to get a different perspective)

The Way of the Knife: The CIA, a Secret Army, and a War at the Ends of the Earth (interesting for understanding relationship between SOF and IC)

88 Days to Kandahar: A CIA Diary (written by agency fellow but talks about work with Army SF a ton during initial invasion of Afghan)

The Only Thing Worth Dying For (more SF in Afghan)

The Good Soldiers (not SOF, covers 11bs in Iraq during surge but very well written)

Black Hawk Down is solid but I would definitely supplement it with further outside reading into the operation to get a better understanding of it all.

Lest We Forget by Leo Jenkins is a great account of a SOCM in regiment that follows his training as well as a couple important operations, including the Redwings SAR mission.

Black Hearts by Jim Frederick

Dog Company is a super interesting account of 2 Ranger Battalion at Pointe du Hoc.

Violence of Action is another GWOT Ranger book written by a bunch of Rangers.

What are your thoughts on 19Ks

I would prefer american military stuff. Im alright with historical nonfiction if its written well. The thing I liked about once an eagle, was that it had alot of leadership examples that I could understand as a normal person looking to get into the military.

Ill look into those. Thanks.

Im pretty sure we had more field time and did more training than they did. I would say they had the most relaxed standards than the other BNs at OSUT like the infantry dudes from what we heard and saw.

Hey I'm that user. For real though, just depends on what people are interested in. I think those are solid books on SOF, GWOT, and intelligence but I also read a ton of geopolitical shit and international relations stuff, which, while not directly "war" books, are incredibly insightful into why conflicts occur. If anyone has a region there interested in or a certain time period or even a specific conflict they want to dive into, let me know. I'm kind of a nerd for this stuff and I love trying to find new perspectives on conflicts and yadda yadda.

Does anyone know anything about Al jaber? Anything recommended to bring? Things to do?

All the stories I've heard about basic/boot make it sound like a literal prison.
Is it really that bad?

Tbf the only vets that have told me anything about it were Marines from the Vietnam era, so I'm guessing it's changed since then.

Its worse than actual prison, since prison today is bullshit easy.

But its not that bad if youve ever had to do chores or lived a frugal life.

Im reading that book now, about halfway through, and damn, this protaganists career is pretty fucking awesome. But I hate how much garbage he has to put up with from army politics and bullshit. Is that how it really is in the military? You can be the best soldier and leader, but still can get fucked over for doing the right thing or because of assumptions by other officers?

>spoiler

>

>spoiler

>

>

>

>

When he goes to asia for like 2 years because hes gathering intel on guerilla fighting, then comes home and it gets filed away because his buddy buddy general who sent him there dies, and his relationship with his wife strained for basically no reason at all just because he wanted to make a change in the military with that out of the box general who wanted to make a difference like he did. And then all the other officer consider him a laughing stock from that point. Or how he won the medal of honor and all the officers think he didnt earn it legitimately because he happened to marry the officer who awarded it to hims daughter. Also fuck his wife, shes been retarded ever since they went to the philippines.

Is defense contracting after military service a meme or do people actually do it? Is armed security at like a corporate office more realistic?

General McChrystal has some great stuff on leadership that's told through practical examples. He has a memoir called My Share of the Task, which describes in-depth the way he led and managed both JSOC in Iraq and then ISAF in Afghanistan. He also has an actual book on leadership called Team of Teams, which includes practical examples but is much less memoiry as the book is specifically on leadership. I thought The Mission, the Men, and Me by Pete Blaber (Delta commander) was really good in both its content and writing. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius is a classic but not about American military. The Savior Generals by Victor Hanson is so fucking good and explores the different military leaderships of five generals from Themistocles to Petraeus. My advice would be to check out the reading lists put out for Army Officers reading list, the West Point reading list, and honestly just google "military leadership reading list." You'll find a bunch .mil links with some great selections. Oh and A Rumor of War and Once A Warrior King are two great memoirs by Army officers in Vietnam.

Contracting is literally just getting a job with a company that hires you for a set amount of time, mostly overseas, since no one wants to permanently live overseas, plus you technically and legally cant since visas and shit.

There are all types of conractor companies and contracting jobs, you can be a janitor, paper pusher, cooks, medical, security guard, etc.

Okay, I’m talking security since that will be the skill I have coming out of the military

"Defense contracting" is pretty vague so I assume you mean the personal security specialist (PSS) stuff. To get into that, experience in SOF is obviously a good route, but having a combat arms background along with a specific skillset like being a licensed paramedic or having fluency or borderline fluency in Arabic or Pashto can also get you there. If you had 5-6 years in the 75th as SOCM, you would be eligible for a shit ton of work. Just be prepared for long ass hours and uneven income.

Would it help to get into airborne/sniper school once I get in? I just went 11x 3 year contract, maybe I should look more into LEO once I get out

can you lie about mental health stuff that would get you prohibited from joinin in the UK, or would they pull up medical records or smthin

Prior service navy e5 shipping to benning this august. How big of a culture shock from silky soft navy to army infantry?

Attached: 1ADA66B4-7170-4AC1-AF99-25483A7E4375.jpg (800x642, 86K)

You can do it, but like i said, its only a temporary gig. And also kind of hard to get into without knowing anyone in that particular company you are trying to work for. The reason why its so hard to get into, is because there are sooooo many rangers and sof duded out there who all had the same idea of get in and get out to contracting. Easiest way is to get in as a team medic and switch positions once youre in and youre qualified for that spot.

There was this one user a while back who got dropped after going 18x and making his way to selections, because he developed type 1 diabetes, then he worked his way to being a paramedic and armored car guard civ side, then got in as a team medic for some engineer firm overseas and then switched to maritime PSD and then does PSD in middle east now.

Airborne, no, sniper school, yes. But fyi to get sniper school you pretty much have to wait until a current sniper ETS or PCS from your unit and then compete against the other high speed dudes for that slot.

army infantry is a weird mix of smart, motivated dudes and literal retards. you're also gonna be thrown in with 17 year old kids in osut and your sergeants might be younger than you.

How long have you been out? Will you be coming in as an E5? Will you be attending as a careerist?

I would recommend taking a couple college courses (gen ed) while you're in if you have the time and then using your GI bill to a get BA/BS once you're out as a lot of LEO work even at a local level now prefer a degree. But yeah, attend those schools if they're offered to you or you can get them. Or, as other people have said, get a paramedic certification on the GI bill to boost your chances of getting a PSD gig.

I have hypermobility in my elbows that go fairly far back, over 15 degrees, will the army or marine infantry reject me? If so, will the FFL reject me? Never had any problems and I don't have it in my medical records.

Left the navy to join the army. Been out for about 3 months working on the paperwork, I’ll be coming in as an e5.

wow did not know 11x could be only 3 years

Don’t know if you’re just being a shit head but they have it for 2 years also, I didn’t like the idea of it though

How much of a say if any, do you have in choosing your first duty station? My MOS is 42A.

wtf are you me? Im navy e5 looking to go to benning.
What MOS friend? I thought 11b was closed to prior guys and you had to get 18x pretty much. Can you gimme a full rundown? Also navy rate? Just curious.

no im being serious, i did not know that

Bro youre gonna be a careerist aka live in grown up barracks and only have to show up for formations and training. Friend recently got reclassed from35p failing dli,and went through benning as a careerist E3for 11b.

Go to unit coordinator aka s3 and ask what bases areavailable, if you arent scared to talk to senior ncos. Or contact your job manager and ask what bases have openings for your rank and mos. Do this all towards end of ait.

Parents complain about me not doing anything with my life (i still go to community college)... They say I need to get a job, so I go down to the army recruiter and they told me a lot of the benefits along with some of the negatives of the jobs I'm interested in. Parents say no, find something respectable that won't get me killed... they just won't have it

what do

do what you want dude, you're an adult.

Any answers?

Is any form of military training meaningfull? For example is Jow Forums going to laugh at me if i'd join Polish Territorial Defense

Join as a cool intel job, then your parents will never say shit again.

How is CE in the Air force like ?

I dont understand your question

Yes any kind of job training period will be beneficial in some way. My dad learned to engrave, weld, electirician shit, construction shit, drive, swim, etc when he was a sapper in the polish army in the 60-70s. Was stationed in(or should i say under) krakow.

When or if they do any mobility testing, just bend like a normal human. Problem solved, problem staying solved.

go SERE instructor. We need someone to replace garandthumb on this board.

Tell your parents to suck a fat one. Its your life.

Navy AV. What's it like?

350F here AMA. Literally whatever on mil, jobs, gov jobs, active, reserves, whatever, i know a bit about everything.

But also, im starting to transition from gas grill to charcoal just to change it up. Anyone know any good charcoal that isnt kingsford? I recall one user recommending something, but i forget and dont wanna click 7 megs back.

Also, anyone know any good cuts of meat? Last time i tried prime cut boneless ribeye. Friend of mine suggested denver cut, bu it seemed real thin. I usually order ribeye when i go to resteraunts so thats what im familiar with taste wise. But im open to suggestions.