/DotM/ Drill of the Month - #1

Drill of the Month, born again edition.

This will be a sort of extension of /handgun general/. This month's drill is the old, venerable FBI Bullseye Qualifier from 1999-2000.

The information about the drill is in the OP image, and the next post by me will contain a printer friendly version of the B8 target used.

The point of these threads is to foster the growth of our skill of shooting, and to have a pleasant time shooting. Please, please don't try to fake scores. There is no prize, and lying would only hurt the friendly competition, and your growth as a shooter.

Link to the /hg/ discord: discord.gg/5GG87Uu

Start date for getting scores in is today, 6/15/18, and the end date is 7/15/18, for this month's drill.

Attached: FBIQUAL.jpg (1200x1650, 335K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mlefiaa.org/files/LEO_002/LESOA_State_Standard_Firearms_Qualification.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Here's a copy of the B8, optimized for printer usage.

Attached: B8.jpg (1200x1650, 119K)

Bump, I will be participating with my first handgun. I'm planning on trading my Remington 700 .270 in for a 92FS.

Nice! If you have a discord account, I'd recommend hopping onto our server too, to keep up with it.

For less ink usage during warmup/practice

Attached: IMG_20180615_105029_648.jpg (769x1050, 40K)

Fuck.

Attached: 20180615_131336-1701x2618.jpg (1701x2618, 840K)

Sadly my indoor range is only 13 yards.

Welcome Jow Forumsomrade glad to have you

That's a good score you rube

Bummer, outside on state land a possibility?

>tfw DOTM the glory days, was over a year ago

Attached: dotm month 1 results.jpg (1921x3074, 736K)

Nope. Maybe I should just print the target at 50% size to simulate it being twice as far?

man you are kind of in a pickle, I mean I'd say definitely do that and shoot it, just to challenge yourself...
Keep your spirits up, we are planning future drills to be 15 yards and in only...even though that doesn't exactly cure what ales you kek

Attached: FBIbull a dozen.jpg (1333x1000, 498K)

>That's a good score you rube
All relative

>HK P30L V1 9MM
>The official handgun of DOTM

Attached: 20180615_163651-3357x2207.jpg (3357x2207, 1.23M)

I'll just have to see if I can get to a better range.

You shoot them all on the same target?

Yep, all rounds are fired on the same B8 target for this drill.

Yep

Attached: 20180615_164857-1701x2711.jpg (1701x2711, 936K)

Got it. I'll get mine up here soon. This is my kind of thing. I'm just a newfag :(

Glad these will be a thing again

Know what im doing this sunday

Join the discord too, newfriends. We have a lot of discussion about these on there too.

not if you don't want to, when I am less than confident I break them up in to two or three targets.

An option for a future month: the Arkansas State Police qualifier. If you want the "enhanced" CCW permit for that state, you have to qualify with this course of fire. All strings start from a "ready" stance, which might be a low ready, or standing with the gun presented. You might start with a holstered gun instead for more challenge. You do need a way to time your shots.

Target: B-27.

Scoring: Shots are scored hit or miss, so make-up shots are not allowed. To be scored as a hit, the shot must be fired within the time alotted, and hit the target within the 7 ring. A qualifying score is 35/50 hits.

Maintenance: Reload as needed, but note that the clock isn't running between drills. Any malfunction must be cleared by the shooter.

Stage 1: 3 yard line, 20 rounds
>At the signal, fire 1 shot within 2 seconds. Return to ready. Perform this drill 5 times.
>At the signal, fire 2 shots within 3 seconds. Return to ready. Perform this drill 5 times.
>At the signal, fire 5 shots within 10 seconds.

Stage 2: 7 yard line, 20 rounds
>At the signal, fire 5 shots within 10 seconds. Return to ready.
>At the signal, fire 2 shots within 4 seconds. Return to ready. At another signal, fire 3 shots within 6 seconds.
>At the signal, fire 1 shot within 3 seconds. Return to ready. Perform this drill 5 times.
>At the signal, fire 5 shots within 15 seconds.

Stage 3: 15 yard line, 10 rounds
>At the signal, fire 2 shots within 6 seconds. Return to ready. At another signal, fire 3 shots within 9 seconds.
>At the signal, fire 5 shots within 15 seconds.

I'm not 100% sure I read the regulation correctly, though.

Seems kinda complicated

Wew lads if the /hg/ discord is anything like the thread I'm out

Good idea on drill of the month club though

There are half sized targets sometimes for plebs in your situation so yes do this These qual type drills are pretty boring desu, active drills like bill drills, El pres, etc are more fun and useful in my view. Been stoegers website has examples.

*These are logistically harder because you basically need action bays, target stands, and uspsa targets versus using cheapo NRA targets at your indoor range for drills like the one in the op.

>These are logistically harder because you basically need action bays, target stands, and uspsa targets
Oh shit, it's almost like THAT'S EXACTLY WHY THOSE DIDN'T GET SELECTED

Jesus christ you're a fucktard.

Stick to your shitty police quals, not all of us live in dumps without decent ranges or even blm land.

If you can't set up a fucking bill drill you shouldn't own a gun to begin with you degenerate.

Go and stay gone, you're too fucking stupid for this.

>ARfcom my son, you are poster now, you must choose
>Make monthly community drills focused on accessibility and low imtimidation or barriers of entry to forset an environment of learning and skills progression?
>Or be an elitist asshole and act like an Arab trying to keep capabilities to yourself out of fear of being eclipsed

You chose to suck dicks for bricks to build your sister a whore house.

Are there 25 yards only drill? In my Eurostani range it's not allowed to shoot closer.

the god damned OP user

to specify just shoot it all at 25

As a suggestion, or for your reading pleasure, I present to you: DSU-K13 (German Sportshooters' Union - Handgun Drill No. 13)

Targets:
No. 1: 2.5x4 inch upright rectangle.
No. 2: 4ish inch circle simulating a clay pidgeon.
No. 3: 6.5x10 inch upright rectangle.

Ammunition: 50 rounds
Possible score: 15+10+25 = 50 total.
Hits are scored as one point if within the specified target area, or as zero points otherwise. Shooting outside the timer window is a -1 penalty regardless if the shot hit or missed.
Each stage starts with weapon loaded with 5 rounds.

Stage 1: At 5 yard line, fire 5 rounds at target no. 1 within 10 seconds. ("Warmup" shots.)
Stage 2: At 5 yard line, fire 5 rounds at target no. 1 within 5 seconds.
Stage 3: At 10 yard line, fire 5 rounds at target no. 1 within 5 seconds.

Stage 4: At 10 yard line, fire 5 rounds at target no. 2 within 10 seconds.
Stage 5: At 15 yard line, fire 5 rounds at target no. 2 within 10 seconds.

Stage 6: At 15 yard line, fire 5 rounds at target no. 3 within 10 seconds.
Stage 7: At 20 yard line, fire 5 rounds at target no. 3 within 10 seconds.
Stage 8: At 20 yard line, fire 5 rounds at target no. 3 within 15 seconds.
Stage 9: At 25 yard line, fire 5 rounds at target no. 3 within 10 seconds.
Stage 10: At 25 yard line, fire 5 rounds at target no. 3 within 15 seconds.

heh rapid-fire at 25 yards is not as easy as 15...

This one is kinda neat, what's it for?

nice.

I always like seeing new drills.

np my dude. Pic related is a set of groupings I shot on that. Yeah I'm shit, I know. I average around 25, can do 30+ on a good day.

idk, rapid fire practise I guess? Most DSU drill are pretty damn slow, like ok you DQ if you don't shoot at least one round every two minutes, boohoo. K13 is the opposite extreme, 5 shots in 5 seconds at a smartphone-sized target? Thats pretty damn fast for a 9mm, and downright impossible for a .45 unless you're Jerry Miculek Jr.

Attached: DSCI1303.jpg (4000x3000, 2.96M)

>, 5 shots in 5 seconds at a smartphone-sized target? Thats pretty damn fast for a 9mm, and downright impossible for a .45
>downright impossible for a .45
At what range

Here's a drill from my police

10 Yards
• Facing Left @ 15 yards, pivot and move to 10 yards Fire 2 Rounds
• Facing Right @ 15 yards, pivot & move to 10 yards Fire 3 Rounds
• Facing to the Rear @ 15 yards pivot & move to 10 yards Fire 5 Rounds
Shooters will start at the 15 yard mark with weapon holstered.
On the command shooters will pivot towards the threat, draw their weapon and issue verbal
challenges.
On the command “Advance”, move to the 10 yard mark covering the threat and issuing verbal commands;
At the 10 yard mark, shooters will be given the command to fire the required rounds.

7 Yards (NOTE: All rounds must strike within scoring area from now on)
• Move from 15 yards to 7 yards; fire 10 rounds
Shooter starts at the 15 yard marker. On command, shooter will draw their weapon and challenge
the threat. On the command “advance”, shooters move forward to the 7 yard marker continuing
to issue verbal commands. At the 7 yard marker, shooters fire 10 rounds on command.

5 Yards
• Transition from Intermediate Force to Deadly Force - Fire 2 Rounds
• Transition from Intermediate Force to Deadly Force - Fire 2 Rounds
• Transition from Intermediate Force to Deadly Force - Fire 2 Rounds - Move Left
• Transition from Intermediate Force to Deadly Force - Fire 4 Rounds - Move Right
Intermediate force options include handcuffs, OC and baton. This stage simulates an escalation
from an intermediate level to deadly force. Shooter will make magazine changes when necessary.
On command, shooter transitions to deadly force (firearm) and engages with the required rounds.

3 Yards or closer if possible*
• CQB, Fire 2 Rounds
• CQB, Fire 2 Rounds
• CQB, Fire 2 Rounds – Move left
• CQB, Fire 2 Rounds – Move right
• CQB, Fire 2 Rounds – Move left, right or 1 step to the rear as directed by instructor
CQB indicates use of a defensive tactic technique such as punch, palm heel strike, knee, kick,
elbow strike, etc. On the command, shooter will employ the CQB tactic as the instructor
demonstrated. All rounds will count on this stage for scoring.
*Drill is performed at ECQB (Extreme Close Quarter Battle) distances but can be done
from 3 yards if necessary.
SCORING: Patrol Officers & LEOSA:
80 % minimum passing score
100% round accountability (all rounds inside body limits)
100% within the scoring zone from 7 yards and closer.
Shooters will reload as necessary

Bump

Attached: 20180616_150813-1701x2469.jpg (1701x2469, 528K)

>No spare B8 so had to trace one onto this paper with a sharpie
>Miscommunication meant that both of the 15 second 5 round drills got shot at once, so it was 10 rounds in 15 seconds

Attached: IMG_20180616_151952_205.jpg (1280x960, 172K)

Is that a training drill? Or a qualifications thing?

bumper

Bump for this

Bump for interest.
I'll give it a shot next week-end at 25 meters for all 3 stages.

mlefiaa.org/files/LEO_002/LESOA_State_Standard_Firearms_Qualification.pdf

Attached: shootan.jpg (1519x1097, 356K)

Are you using wadcutters?

blazer 115gr aluminum shit cartridges, these are the thicc $1.50 targets tho

Ok, really neat holes. Was your point of aim the numbers in each ring?

yeah, other than some sighting in/goofing off. 7 was fast fire, top 8 was medium fast fire but i fucked up and reshot upper 9, lower 8 was slow aimed fire

That might be a good drill in the future, starting from top to bottom and varying ROF and distance. Top 7 is slow aimed fire at maybe 15 yards, working down to your bottom #7 being 5 rounds rapid from the holster at 5 yards.

Yeah, it's good to come up with drills like that and just run them. I just went to a fancy new range yesterday that has a Meggitt 360 system. Now that is *really* fun for drills.

I'll upload my results later today.

If the thread doesn't die

>Page 9, again
And I need to get either a working printer or actual B8s, anyway. I can try to convert the score, but It's not a very good one anyway.

Attached: HalfScaleHalfDistance.jpg (2104x1184, 960K)

>152/300
I guess my goal for the end of the month is to get to a real sub-two second split (read: get the sights aligned, don't just magdump stage three), and then I'll see about re-shooting the qualifier. Still need to work on trigger control, though.

Attached: HalfScaleHalfDistance_scored.jpg (2104x1184, 814K)

How large is half scale?

The B8 target has a 19.68" 5 ring. Those EZ-score targets are slightly larger than half that, hence the fact that I could miss but still end up on paper.

This was my problem too. I only got a 133 and trashed the target (i didnt think shooting at a regular target would be ok). Im pretty sure shooting too fast in stage 1 was the problem. Like 7/10 were off the printer paper when i overlaid it on the target i shot from that stage.

Is there some sort of printer to use or an general score conversion method?

You have to measure with a ruler. The ring diameters are in the NRA rulebook as such:

>X ring ......................1.695 in
>10 ring .....................3.36 in
>9 ring .......................5.54 in
>8 ring .......................8.00 in
>7 ring .....................11.00 in
>6 ring .....................14.80 in
>5 ring .....................19.68 in

All told, it would save us a lot of time if we just used the right targets.

The right target is technically a 2x2' square, it's huge