Competition guns

Looking to get into comp shooting and planning on building a polymer80 to use. Post your setups and give recommendations please.

Attached: download (2).jpg (300x168, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blackcreeksteel.wordpress.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump. Not sure if I want to do a 17 or a 34.

Get a 35, with a 9mm barrel, extractor/ejector. That way you can shoot in Major/Minor. Get some Dawson precision sights

Do you not already have a gun you can use for competition?

Also, depending on the game. The polymer80 may not be division legal.

Most people recommend you just go shoot competition. Then after a while, when you've decided what you want, you buy the gun optimized for the game and division you want to shoot in. It's generally not ideal to just go into it without prior competition knowledge

I know very little about comp. Theres a steel comp local to me I'd like to go to. I have a polymer80 glock 26 (my carry gun) a polymer80 glock 19, a sig sp2022 9mm, sig p250 compact .45acp, glock 21sf, beretta 92s,and a Dan wesson .357 8 inch revolver.

>80% carry gun
Did you get "PRBLM-SLV4H" engraved on the serial number plate so your future jury gets a bit of comic relief during your murder trial?

I get that you're trying to make a joke but, no one laughed.

Bring the one you're most comfortable with. Personally I'd bring either the 92s or the DW revo to the steel competition.

My guess is that the competition you mentioned will be Steel Challenge. There's certain gear restrictions depending on the competition you go to, and the p80 wont necessarily fall into one that is competitive. For example, if you brought a p80 to a USPSA competition. You'd be in open division regardless of your build, and there is no way you'd even come close to being able to keep up with the people running true open division.

Go shoot some, find a game you like. Learn the rules and the gear restrictions of the division and competition style you want to go into, only then buy a gun for competition.

Alrighty, I think the beretta would serve me well, I constantly fumble revolver reloads and while the 92s has the heel mag release I think with some practice I could get good at it.

get a steel frame gun if you want to do competition shooting

A polymer 80 not-glock is only legal in Limited or open division in USPSA and I don’t think it’s allowed at all in IDPA.

You should build it out in .40s&w and run it in Limited Division (.40 cal min for major scoring).

Not that poly80 glocks are bad but you should just pick up a police surplus .40 glock, dremmel off the finger grooves and pocket the change. That way if you find out it’s not for you or you want to run a 2011 like the cool kids then you wasted a min amount of money.

Remember to have fun and don’t sweat being terrible because you will be.

Do you have a link or description of the competition you plan to do? I could try to help guide you from there, if reloads are even necessary.

blackcreeksteel.wordpress.com

This is their website. I dont have much info I just heard from some locals that browse Jow Forums its fun

9/40 barrels are also thicker and heavier. Makes getting back on target easier.

I shoot idpa with a 17. I like it more than the 34. Its got a dawson heine sight combo.

Got any pics? Setup recommendations?

Attached: 1529208222251.jpg (640x640, 51K)

Looks like they do not-USPSA “outlaw” with the main difference being how they classify shooters.

So you’ll want to make sure your equipment is in line with USPSA rules, don’t worry about the rest.

If you like it I’d suggest eventually seeking out real USPSA matches.

That gun might win a shittiest gun contest, that's about it

>talks shit about a Google images polymer80
>cant read
Wew lad. Day/k/are is out for the day, time to go home to reddit now.

Attached: 1523980117158.png (2000x2000, 109K)

No pics on my phone. Just a stock 17. I used to shoot a Beretta 92. But didn't like the double action first shot. I use a uncle mikes holster with the idpa mod.

Can i enter the stock class or whatever with aftermarket sights or does it have to be all factory?

For USPSA production aftermarket sights are ok.

Comp gun is a meme until you're good enough to get the edge a comp gun provides
Just shoot what you have and instead of wasting money on stupid shit that you don't know if you need, spend on ammo to shoot more

Attached: Gangstalicious.webm (1280x720, 1.58M)

Vast majority of competitive pistol shooting games use fiber optic front sites. If the game doesnt allow it, you should find a different one.

That makes sense. I'm not a bad shooter but I'm sure I'm not gonna be a great shooter vs people that do this every weekend.

Looks like an outlaw USPSA-ish style.

Just bring whatever gun you feel the most comfortable with, AND have the most mags of cause you'll have to do reloads and moving. I completely missed that you have the glock 19 and sp2022. I'd probably use one of those. 9mm polymer frame will get you pretty far.

Beyond that, bring your unloaded gun in a case separate from the ammo to the match and introduce yourself as a new shooter. Most places are new shooter friendly and they'll help you out from there. IF NOT, go find a different club.

If you like that style of shooting, go find a local USPSA club and shoot that for a while. You'll get a feel of what gun you'll want to buy next (if any) after you get your feet sufficiently wet in the practical pistol world.

Thanks user. Not to sound stupid but I didnt know stuff like this existed around me... I just want an excuse to shoot more and get better at practical accuracy and shooting.

No problem.

It's a common issue. The competition shooting world has an issue with branding and outreach. People that are interested find a super convoluted world to try and wade through. There are a few people, especially Julie Golob that are trying to turn things around into the 21st century to introduce more people to it.

I had the same problems as you trying to get into competition shooting myself, therefore I try to be as helpful as possible when someone does mention they're trying. As long as they're willing to listen, I'm willing to dole out advice.

However, once you get through that initial barrier of jumping in the community is very helpful and giving. Go enough, and you'll start making good friends as you'll see familiar faces every single time.

Just be safe, listen to pointers, dont try to go faster than your skill or sights and focus on having fun. You wont be winning any trophies and it would suck to get DQ'd on the first match. Shooting steel in a competition environment is a very sobering experience, so make sure you have a good sight picture on your trigger pulls or you'll be wasting a lot of time and ammo on misses.

Would a paper match be better to attend first? I figured i could be less accurate with steel

It's the opposite. If you miss a paper target you keep moving on without noticing. If you miss a steel you pretty much have to go back to it, and it's very noticeable. Especially as a beginner you will spend much more ammo on steel than paper.

>extractor/ejector
You don't need to swap those, all you need is barrel and lighter spring. I have a Glocknade with a 9mm barrel

I depends what you want to run in.

Quite a few folks, (myself included) run a gun that splits the line of USPSA Production division, and IDPA SSP division. (Tanfoglio limited pro’s, CZ Shadow 1’s, etc)

That way I can bounce back and forth, depending how I feel and what the locale looks like, and be able to place myself in a distinct category for matches.

I’d look at something in that ballpark. Unless you live near a major metropolitan center, I doubt you’ll have a USPSA scene, and it’ll be mostly IDPA for local stuff.

Get the best stuff you can for the most divisions you can (thats legal), that way if you lose steam you can liquidate your costs because some savvy shooter just like you will want something to pull double duty.

What category would I get the most benefit from in real life?

This guy
is correct.

People tend to spend more ammo on steel than paper.

However dont be discouraged. Just go do this one and have fun. After your first one, you'll learn your mistakes and can only improve from there. Just bring more ammo than you need. If they call for 150 rounds, bring 300. It's not only for misses, but for you to keep your mags topped off.

They all are. Any competition shooting is better than none. Why? Because you're being put under stress. Idiots argue that it's not combat or whatever, but it still is induced stress. Everyone is John Wick until the timer goes off Anywhere you go in the country you'll find that the highest skilled shooters you can pull from any given group shoot competitively.

Even crotchety Ken Hackathorn admitted it towards the end of the recent inRange video. They're all games, but the competitive spirit forces people to push the limits of skill. A middle level competitive pistol shooter now, would smoke a top level shooter from the 60-70s easily for the same event and gear. The time creep in time tested shooting standards has proven that.

I'll bring my ammo can because why not (currently for 9mm sitting at about 1220 fiochi fmj's)
Makes sense. I'm not looking to be Hollywood or Jerry miculek I just want to out shoot and out react Tyrone during shtf. Don't wanna get killed by a hi point glocc fotay

About the 1k rounds. Depending on the range setup and how fast things go, bring everything you want in the most convenient and comfortable way possible. It is also an endurance event. You spend all day out in the sun lugging around heavy gear and resetting stages for the next shooter until it's your turn to shoot.

So bring lots of cold water, snacks, sun block and appropriate attire for being out in the sun all day. Thats on top of the gear that you'll be carrying around. It's important to be comfortable otherwise it'll really suck towards the end of the day.

I kind of want to wear a plate carrier but i know everyone will make fun of me and think I'm larping for fun, but I honestly wanna get used to the weight running and gunning and see what works in my system and what doesnt. Also good protection from someone accidentally shooting at me.

Or are you required to just work off of a belt or something?

I shoot USPSA, 3Gun, Steel Challenge, and IPSC. Just got my first stage win ever yesterday with a time of (I shit you not) 69.69 seconds.

Attached: IMG_20180617_165441_965.jpg (1080x1080, 39K)

It just depends sometimes you do and you absolutely should to be %100 converted. I ran into issued with both and once I replaced the parts it shoots like a dream. That's the Joy of Glock parts are cheap and easy to replace

For anyone interested in getting into competition shooting, I highly recommend you search for local clubs on practiscore.com, it's super easy to find and register for matches.

And Steel Challenge is probably the best match format for beginners. You don't have to move around, worry about 180° much, or wonder if you hit your target. You just draw and ring some steel.

Beyond that 3-Gun is most definitely my favorite. There's nothing like sprinting up a hill with your rifle, hosing down some close papers, and then immediately going prone and shooting 500 yards on a hot barrel. It's ridiculously fun.

Attached: IMG_20180613_200113881_LL.jpg (5344x2447, 3.72M)

You can use a chest rig, or a drop leg kit if you want. You'll find most folks find a belt the easiest. Some people who use shotgun speed loaders strap them on their thighs. Chest rigs are typically bulky, annoying, and bad for kneeling and prone.

Attached: IMG_20180111_121626516.jpg (5344x3820, 3.04M)

Also 3-Gun lets you shoot fun shit like spinners and Texas Stars and such.

Attached: Spinner Flip_2 (1).webm (1920x1080, 1.87M)

Agreed. Or a factory polymer gun.

Can my "chest rig" have plates in it? Lol

There are matches that have a "armored" or "trooper" division where you have to wear plates the whole time, but they're uncommon.

Taking her out today,
pick the right gun for the competition OP or well the one that you shoot best with

Attached: 25519916_10155683212924892_1847443372_n.jpg (960x960, 101K)

for example i got a very expensive competition gun, i still get smoked by some people with standard glocks due to the being faster and better then me.

depending on the rules of the competition i would recommend
>Glock, with changed sights and a magwell
>Cz shadow
>tangfoglio

it all depends on what you shoot best with and if you are faster with x gun then y pick X

Attached: 1472172836862.jpg (540x604, 114K)

Coooool. Nice gun user.

Attached: 1529366399665.jpg (600x641, 49K)

Honestly I shoot my glock 26 the best, I dont know why, it defies all logic.

This is my exact USPSA gun. 40 for limited division, 9mm for just screwing around.

Glock 35 with Dawson Chargers, and I have a Storm Lake conversion barrel. I have only switched barrels, and it has never fucked with me in 9mm. The conversion barrel is heavy, so it's really nice in 9mm.

>Remember to have fun and don’t sweat being terrible because you will be.

so true.

Serious congrats.

I placed 2nd overall in an IDPA stage earlier this year, and it was one of the most validating moments in my time as a shooter.

Got pics? I always believed the Jow Forums meme of 40 short and weak being useless for anyone but faggitz. Does it look weird with the conversion barrel in it?

Attached: STI 2 38 super race gun.jpg (800x720, 85K)

Both 1911s and 2011s disgust me, and that thing is an abomination upon nature and all that is holy. I hope I can use a stock polymer peestil at a comp and beat a guy with some shit like that.

Attached: 1529382441187m.jpg (803x1024, 72K)

you can use a sks and a 1911 just have the skill
everyone who offers "advice" on what the best is stupid. youre stupid because you cant think to practice and use what you have

>you're stupid because you dont know what gear to bring to this thing you've never done before
Cool thanks

youre just autistic and dont have the funds to seee how good a weighted 9mm 1911 is

Reading comprehension 0
fucking lurk more before you jump off the school bus jesus fucking christ summer used to be a fake meme but it gets worse every year with people like you

I dont use pistols with external safeties

Too complicated for you?

Oh thanks, direct me to the daily comp shooting thread.
>oh wait, you're already in it.

Preference

Use a stock pistol with maybe some upgraded sights.
spending 2k+ on upgrades will only make you 1% better.

That's why I was hoping to use a polymer80, build it good the first time. But apparently those arent allowed

i have a 23 and literally finished my 17 about 20 mins ago.

Pics or it didnt happen

Attached: IMG_3784.jpg (4032x3024, 1.66M)

Oh yes bby

Is that 40 cal missing the pin in the grip?

no, it's just doesn't sit flush lol.

You're an idiot

Attached: 1512283235419.png (601x508, 127K)

N...no u

Attached: 1526073677582.gif (240x310, 3.77M)

Hey thanks! And congrats yourself, it was so satisfying, I was just giddy for the rest of the day thinking about it. Next up: match win. I've placed 2nd too many times.

Attached: IMG_20180405_130317970_HDR.jpg (2213x2303, 1012K)

Itt: faggitz

Pic of my comp gun. I'm a grand master lvl 4 wizard. Taran butler sucked me off last week.

Attached: 13861-1.jpg (800x600, 49K)

Sounds like something he'd do. He's pretty much the creepy uncle of the shooting world.

The way he acts around the all female staff he has hired to work for him in videos makes me uncomfortable. But, they've all got guns, I 's'pose if they get raipeded they let it happen.

>assuming any of Taran's staff can outshoot him

Assuming it matters at rape distance
>ya dun goofed

Competitions are for fags. Go shoot innawoods like a man user.

>not doing both
Newfag

but the competitive side actually makes you a better shooter, plinking and running around sweaty avoiding skinwalkers wont make u john wick user

>believing shooting at static steel from behind barricades will make you tier 1 operaturr

Attached: 1529195948028.jpg (320x322, 22K)

>thinking running around some trees will actually improve shooting ability

look user running around the woods is great for getting a grasp of woodlands combat, but if u want to improve your shooting skills, realistically competition shooting is the way to go

and also
>static
competition shooting isnt always static