Bowies, Kukris, other large blades

What does Jow Forums think about this blade? Called the Knout and made to be a better version of the kukri. I personally really like its design and am thinking of buying one.

Attached: Knout.jpg (500x333, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2vIA2j3IRhg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What do you want it for? Kukris are great for what they are, but they fall into that very narrow band of "too heavy to be a knife, too short to be a machete, too light to be a hatchet."

>Bowies, Kukris, other large blades
All pretty much garbage or mall ninja.

Better in what possible way

armlet detected, bulk up/do a little bit of practice with it and it becomes all of those things

Attached: [email protected] (946x664, 781K)

This. Most of these blades end up being pretty crappy at a wide variety of tasks rather than being good knives with no intention to be used as a hatchet.

If you want a big knife, buy something like an EESE 6 and then get a real hatchet or machete.

except the too heavy part, fuck up i'm a brainlet with huge arms approach me in an aggressive manner male sibling

You can use it to do all sorts of stuff, but it's not gonna be better at them than a tool like a hatchet. If you wanna chop down trees with a kukri be my guest, but you're just making shit more difficult than it needs to be for the sole purpose of justifying owning a meme knife.

Again, this.

Not to mention that the edge geometry that will excel in something like cutting down a tree is going to make something like gutting a fish a much bigger pain in the ass.

Carry a 4 inch blade fixed and a hatchet or folding saw and dumb the mall ninja garbage.

Seems like all it would really be good at is chopping wood, but still not as good as a hatchet.

Cleaning game of any size with that thing would absolutely suck. I don't even know how I'd cut into a hare or bird with it.

A $15 Mora would literally be more useful.

Kukris are great, especially if you're going for the one tool option. I get that it doesn't fit into the philosophy of use of some people, but those are the same people who list snivel gears as essentials in my experience. If it's good enough for an asian midget it's good enought for my 6'2 180lbs ass.

I get that but if I take a mora and a hatchet with me, while I do have two tools I can do all the jobs you'd do with a Kurkri (short of using it as an uncomfortably short machete) far more effectively. It's my opinion that any efficiency you gain in reducing your load in a fairly small way is outweighed by how big a pain in the ass it'll make some pretty basic tasks.

What's the last trek or pack hunt you did with a kukri and how did it go

What kind of kukri do you have? I can't imagine a knife big enough to do the job of a hatchet while also small enough that I wouldn't also end up carrying some kind of smaller knife to go with it, and to me that kind of defeats the purpose.

What fucking retard land do you kids live were a Kukri is remotely capable of replacing a small axe?

I don't. But what other purpose is there to owning one?

Khukuris aren't used independently though. They traditionally come with a smaller knife to tackle smaller tasks easier and a burnishing steel.

Attached: yhst-7333098713883_2256_1348194.jpg (576x262, 55K)

So much for the "one tool" philosophy.

Attached: loui.jpg (816x612, 346K)

Wait, what? What does it look like folded?

youtube.com/watch?v=2vIA2j3IRhg

Attached: 1414118119726.gif (245x245, 1.79M)

OP here, all great input but I figure the extra weight of the knout over the kukri would make it pretty good at a hatchets job. And it's primary use would be brush, trees, splitting and the like. With a smaller knife for game. If I can find a picture of it relative to a person I will because I think the size works well in place of a hatchet

But if you're going to have a second knife, and this is going to be a defacto hatchet, why not just use a.. dunno... hatchet?

Originality I guess

It's one tool as in you don't have to carry a machete and a hatchet. The skinning knife and honing steel don't add a noticeable amount of weight to a backpacking load.

this.

A 3-4'' primary belt knife, a small folding knife, and a hatchet are all you need. If you absolutely don't want to carry a hatchet/hawk, you can just strap a kukri to your backpack, and call it a day, but here's the thing:

you absolutely DO NOT want to use the same knife for food, and wood. To some extent, like making feather sticks, or some improvised crafts, fine. But chopping up fresh branches leaves sticky juices on the blade, which are a royal pain in the arse to get off.

I'll go full hipster and opt for Filipino bolos.

Attached: Itak.jpg (700x465, 175K)

>bait post about some cock-shaped mall ninja knife
>nobody points it out

It's more comparable to a Cleaver than a Kukri

The Kukri is built like a leaf blabe with a forward curve to emulate the curve and forwardness of an axe.

The Knout doesn't taper like a proper Kukri and the extra bit at the end doesn't add much weight. It's thin at least, so it should work fairly well for cutting soft materials.

The main difference is that Kukri is built to maximize strength, weight, balance, cutting length. It tapers near the handle with all the weight at the end of the blade, this maximizes the amount of force when used to chop into something.

The Knout is just a cleaver with more weight toward the tip. It doesn't have as much weight near the tip as the Kukri or the forward curve. It does a long straight blade that would be better suited to cutting through soft materials in 1 swing.

Remove Spanish!
MABUHAY ANG KATIPUNAN!
(Long live the assembly!)

Attached: KKK.jpg (1024x768, 140K)

I have one large blade and although it looks bad ass it's practically useless. Unless I want to awkwardly swing it at coke bottles like some fuckin neckbeard mall ninja. Hatchets and small to medium fixed blades are much more practical in any situation.

There's entire generations of fatherless kids out there that have no practical tool use instruction, so there's basically an unlimited market for dumb shit