Please help me settle the AR Pistol debate. It is my understanding that an AR barrel shorter than 10...

Please help me settle the AR Pistol debate. It is my understanding that an AR barrel shorter than 10.5” is going to be a shit-accurate gun with minimal effective range.

I’ve been eyeballing a 7.5”, will it be a piece of shit?

Attached: image.jpg (2100x1575, 1.58M)

it will be fine

>using ugly faggy sig brace ovee aesthetic af blade brace
Faggot detected.
Shit taste detected.

What is "shit accurate"

It'll hit shit at 100 yards easily.

It will have accuracy. It will lack sufficient velocity for long range, and the ballistic arc will be greatly exaggerated making it functionally less accurate at unknown distances.

I'm currently in the process of building a 7.5" and this guy I work with who is an expert on all things gun says any AR's shorter than 9" have assloads of problems cycling, and the shorter you go the more unreliable.

What are his credentials?
I love when fags read a few articles and watch a few yt vids think theyre top tier gunsmiths lol.

Barrel length =/= accuracy

i heard the same shit, but haven’t had any issues. 7.5in is great for pistol length gas tubes, and mine is over gassed if anything. Zero malfunctions of any kind

maybe because what you heard was a bunch of made up shit that doesn't even make sense. It probably came from some fag who had his gas block all fucked up

.300blk was specifically designed to cycle SBRs.

AR=\= .223

Yes, but I’ve heard that for a 7.5” ar to function, you need to have a very specific setup of buffer, spring and gas port

Idk his on paper credentials but he has done actual gunsmithing for me personally and it was quality work. And he just knows everything about guns off the top of his head.

>will it be a piece of shit?

The accuracy is not the issue, but reliability and velocity of the rounds will be. For a serious defensive gun I wouldn't go under 10.3 inches.

There is some truth to this. I had a 7.5" and had a hell of a time getti ng it to cycle properly, even with an adjustable gas block. It worked good after I got a pig tail gas tube, but those have a really limited lifespan. I got a 10.5" with carbine length gas tube and all is good.

oh so just a fudd with a wrench and a hacksaw

The shorter you make an AR gas system, the more you will negatively affect reliability. Sure, you can get a 7.5" setup to run, and maybe run OK, but it will never be as reliable as a longer carbine or midlength gas system setup. The longer gas systems are not only more reliable, but due to the increased dwell time you get less part wear over time and the systems will be more reliable when the gun is dirty whereas a shorter system is less tolerant to things like carbon buildup, different types of ammo, etc. Anything under 10.5 inches is a fun range toy, shouldn't be used for serious defensive work (in 5.56). If you want a short system, get a gas piston .300 BLK setup.

It will work just the cycling will be more violent than a rifle or carbine length one. Like says they can be more picky. People usually just overgas the fuck out of them like it's the Holocaust and replace parts as needed.
Honestly even 10.5" is pushing it for ballistic relevance and 11.5" gives better results with m193 (they are in "probably but still might not fragment" range at 30ish yards I think.
Don't even bother with m855.
I haven't read of ballistic testing with mk262 or whatever other snowflake rounds but they might be almost useful.
It is going to be loud as fuck and not particularly effective against anything you need to hurt with the bullets, but accuracy will not be an issue out to 150 yards or so I would guess, and then it is just the rainbow trajectory causing issues.
Consider getting it in .300 Memeout.

Disregard that I suck cocks, meant to quote and not for the first part.

All the Gucci fags in this thread.
Got a .300blk 8.5inch upper from PSA, havent had a single malfunction.

Is .300 AAC really that much better in say, a 10.5” vs 5.56?

Depends on the 5.56 bullet type. m193 and m855 are kind of dogshit out of 10.5" but there are better options.
A big reason people go with .300 is for use with a suppressor; subsonic Blackout is still pretty effective while subsonic 5.56 is as useful as tits on a snake.

Yes, .300 BLK was optimized for 9" barrels for powder burn. 5.56 doesn't burn all it's powder until you get to 12"+ barrels which is why you get fireballs out of 10.5 barrels.

That being said, with quality softpoints, 10.5" 5.56 is an effective platform for close/mid range although I'll always recommend 11.5" over 10.5" for the extra bit of dwell time which provides a reliability bump for only an extra inch of barrel.

So above 65 gr is ideal for short AR barrels?

Why are you so upset because I said I know a guy who isn't a complete idiot when it comes to firearms? They do exist, you know. I know that's a difficult concept to grasp for a Jow Forums user.

Attached: 1529238834616.jpg (600x534, 55K)

clearly he is

>I know a guy who isn't a complete idiot when it comes to firearms
>a difficult concept to grasp for a Jow Forums user
Sometimes the question is the answer.

Depends on various factors...do you expect to be shooting thru intermediate barriers, what is your max engagement distance, etc, etc.

A general rule is bonded softpoints like the 64 or 75gr Speer gold dots, is never a bad choice. They're pretty good general purpose rounds and will expand even at low velocity which makes them work will out of short barrels.

I almost exclusively shoot 77 gr match ammo/77 gr handloads