Quick question for you, Jow Forums. I'm a programmer working on an open-source game...

Quick question for you, Jow Forums. I'm a programmer working on an open-source game, and I'm reworking our damage system. We make use of realistic weapons, and realistic calibers. I'm totally unfamiliar with weapons in general, but I'm going by wikipedia's listings for joules of force for how much damage each bullet should do.

Unfortunately, there's a huge gap between .50 BMG's force, and the next smallest I could find - .30-06. I've searching wikipedia and googled further, but the amount of data is overwhelming.

In essence - my question is this. What calibers are between a .30-06 and .50 BMG in terms of overall damage inflicted on a target?

Attached: 15032018_3.jpg (1024x768, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!AwxF1QhI!uC9TsrQhvRznHErZN-qHdH2f5vU7aIkS-tAWeRFMEs4
youtube.com/watch?v=_qyvY95dYGQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jhv0LbhNigk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

.45 acp

Overall damage is a really shitty concept. I've seen 5.56 turn someone inside out, and I've seen .50 BMG rounds leave holes so clean you could pass a quarter through them.

.300 Mag
7mm
Faster .30-06 loads
Many others

300 Winchester Magnum, maybe 338 Lapua Magnum

I know videogames like to meme it up but .50 BMG is not meant to be used on soft targets out of a rifle.

Sorry - as I said, I'm unfamiliar with weapons in general. I suppose since I'm going by joules of force, that would be the ideal relative measurement of damage.

Look at .300 Winchester Magnum, .338 Lapua Magnum and .408 Cheytac

A handgun round. You are fucking retarded.

Thank you for the extremely quick response! This will help immensely by giving me a place to start.

As I understand it, a .50 is more of a small artillery piece than it is a rifle.

.338 lapua
45-70
.458 socom
.50 Beowulf
6.5 creedemore
7.62x54r is pretty close to 30-06. Like almost identical ballistically

>I've seen
Whatever you say, dude.

Attached: images (5).jpg (194x259, 13K)

Have a read, OP.

mega.nz/#!AwxF1QhI!uC9TsrQhvRznHErZN-qHdH2f5vU7aIkS-tAWeRFMEs4

Blood loss caused by tissue damage is what kills, not simple joules. Read for more info.

I completely believe him. It's like shooting deer with .340 Weatherby or something. The round has so much energy it just passes clean through someone. And it's not like Jow Forums has a shortage of vets that saw pretty serious action in GWOT.

It´s still a rifle, just an anti-material rifle.

These are the calibers that are used in militaries around the world that came to my mind.

45 is more than 30 and less than 50 dummy

I meant .458 magnum

Why would you come here? Jow Forums knows almost nothing about guns and 90% of the posting that goes on here are tween meemsters repeating shit they heard from other idiots. Go somewhere else if you need serious information.

It's all about bullet selection and impact velocity. Some bullets work best on the high end (2500-2900 FPS) and others on the lower end (1800-2500, generally). Go too far outside of any one projectile's range and it'll either blow up without achieving adequate penetration or ice pick like a motherfucker.

That's not how it works

If you really want 'accurate' damage modeling you need to build a musculoskeletal and cardiovascular system

Bullets kill by either crushing vital organs like the brain, or major organs/arteries that cause you to quickly bleed out and lose consciousness (and then die from lack of oxygen to the brain)

It's not as simple as "more energy = more damage", a piddling little .22 bullet that ricochets around in the body and slices up two major organs and three arteries has done a fuckload more damage to someone than a .50 bmg that blew off a hand.

As an avid videogame nerd though, I have different advice: Don't try to be autistic about damage modeling. Go with something simple and effective for gameplay purposes. Headshot deals 2x damage, bodyshot does regular damage, legshots deal 0.8x damage. Done. You don't need damage to be autistic, people only need it as a way to reward better aim/skill and introduce variance into combat.

I'll do so, thank you!

It was the statistic that boiled down to raw numbers that I could cross-compare on the wiki. I need to boil down the concept of "damage" to a few basic numbers.

Regarding the last part of your post, you might be right - but I really want to do this project right. I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some thoughts here.

If someone wanted to literally spoon feed me, I'd request a list of calibers, least to greatest, ranging from .22LR to .50 in terms of relative damage, with as many entries as possible. I'm happy to do the research on what's already posted, and fully do not expect this.

>Jow Forums - Weapons
Jow Forums is my home.

Joules don't mean anything if it's not transferred into the target. For example if a bullet goes through a target it has only put a little bit of energy in, however if it does not go through the target all of the energy has been transferred

Easiest board to troll

Look at this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=_qyvY95dYGQ
All of the bullet's energy has been transferred to the target because it does not fully penetrate

In this video the bullet exits the target and does not have a chance to transfer all of it's energy
youtube.com/watch?v=jhv0LbhNigk

Nope, not artillery, just a rifle. Almost directly scaled-up .30-06. some .50 ammo types can contain small charges like Raufoss or Spotter/Tracer or whatever, but generally just a big inert rifle bullet.

Something like a 20mm would be more reliant on having actual charges in the rounds to get greater effect, but training/practice rounds are generally just inert slugs. There's a few single shot 20mm rifles out there, mostly 20mm is seen on vehicle mounted and aircraft cannons.

>joules of force

Fuck. Just caught that too.

Attached: 10032018_9.jpg (504x470, 62K)

bump

Tbh this doesn't seem worthwhile. You're going to end up with like ten variables per each round which is all going to have the exact same result of "+X amount of damage" once its all calculated. Going by general consensus, the FONV system of base damage followed by load specific multipliers seems to tick enough autism boxes that nobody has an issue with it but is able to differentiate a vast number of similar calibers, go with that imo.

Right now I just have damage as the stat. There's some additional stuff, like the chance of crippling the target, but no more than three variables.

You do have a valid point though.

>but no more than three variables
Fair enough.
Say you have your list of rounds
(.22lr, 9mm, .38, .45, etc)
and then you'd have the part of the body that was hit (hand, foot, arm, leg, torso, head)
and then like a critical modifier
Say 9, 38 and 45 all have
90+% critical on head shots
60-80% on torso
10-15% legs/arms
0% hands/feet

And even more so for rifle rounds.

Now that I think about it, the FBI keeps stats on gun "violence"
It might be possible to sue some of their numbers as aggregates.

So bigger and faster rounds impart more Kenetic Energy to a target, but that isn't what kills people. People are basically big bags full of fluid and organs, and they die when too much fluid leaks out, or they get a hole in something that can't have a hole in it. Now the round does need to have sufficient Kenetic Energy to penetrate tissue, and vital organs in order to start said leaks, or punch holes in vital organs. So a health bar and having weapons do "damage" to a person on hit is simple to implement, but not all that accurate a depiction of a gun fight. Something like location based hit boxes is better, like getting hit in the, but still far from accurate, since things like hearts, lungs and livers are hardly regular shapes, also each of the limbs has major blood vessels that if punctured, can cause a fairly rapid bleed out. So maybe if there's a hit, keep a list or array of vital organs in that box, and roll a dice to see which is hit, with probability based on size of organ, and decide how long the victim has to live based on that. Sorry, I haven't written code since I got my bachelors in CS about 6 years ago, but that's the best I can come up with. Also, if you're going to give big bullets a damage boost, you might want to balance that against recoil, and slower follow up shots.

Yooooo leave the name of the bubba

you've been googling an researching and you really couldn't find a single caliber between .50 BMG and .30-06? Are you retarded?

>What calibers are between a .30-06 and .50 BMG in terms of overall damage inflicted on a target?
meaningless without knowing the target and bullet composition. You can make steel weaker/softer than brass and you can make lead harder than steel.
Look up brinnel hardness, rockwell hardness, stress/strain curves, and TTT diagrams.

The long and short of it is that meaningful material science is 99% correlations from decades/centuries of industry research. Unless you want to actually use physics simulations for deformation, there isn't really a point in caring.