Are Howitzers REALLY obsolete...

Are Howitzers REALLY obsolete? Because I keep hearing WW2 era designs are still being manufactured with lighter materials and still wreaking havoc around the world today? Is the Howitzer design the AK of artillery or am I reading fake news? I can totally see why these things are still practical.

Attached: obsoleteorno.jpg (271x186, 10K)

>WW2 designs
I heard that Katyusha rockets are being used in Syria

If it works dont fix it. Same reason why the .45 is still the best pistol around.

Especially with modern ordnance. Aren't these things capable of firing any type of round you put in them?

Yeah. I'm not a big fan of the 1911 though that's just preference. If I'm going to carry and old platform I'll choose a revolver for my Fudd Favorite. Yes they make .45 cal revolvers but usually when someone says .45 they are referring to the 1911.

Summer Fag, desperate to validate his existence, posting query that is long settled and banal

I just checked the registry then there are no mentions of "Are Howitzers REALLY obsolete"

The registry exists for a reason use it.

I'm really just wondering with all the smart weapons that supposedly dominate modern battlefields how many WW2 workhorses are still being used. By every side.

>Are Howitzers REALLY obsolete?
Pretty much. High mobility sensor enabled assets like MBTs or helos will shrek you. Most defilades will send out a QRF to fuck you before you can get set up. Softer targets can be dealt with by lighter weapons (thermobaric RPGs and 40mm grenades) or equally well by more portable mortars.

>I heard that Katyusha rockets are being used in Syria
This makes me erect

Fuck no. Look at what the 11th Marine Regiment did in Syria with the M777 155mm howitzers. The stacked bodies

>hurr durr summerfags
Kys faggot. Discussing cool Jow Forums related topics with new fags is completely acceptable. You’re like one of the of those boomers on car forums that tell people to fuck off and read some semi-related thread that’s 6 years old with half the OPs images gone

Attached: B3AF686B-D3D3-43A8-84FD-0826B2E5B63F.png (318x317, 47K)

dumb frogposter

You misspellt 9mm.

>Are Howitzers REALLY obsolete?
No?
>I can totally see why these things are still practical.

Which is why pretty much every military still use them?

Attached: 1310251835660.jpg (2341x1695, 271K)

Attached: 1310257355880.jpg (1200x785, 52K)

Attached: 1310274419429.jpg (1392x1064, 197K)

Attached: 1354318034865.jpg (1247x841, 338K)

No.

Attached: Arty Rounds.jpg (467x700, 56K)

>is indirect fire obsolete?
Is the earth still round? If it is then no. Indirect fire will literally never be obsolete.

>americans still rely on such dated designs
Hah

Attached: CQqslUdXAAArgDn.jpg (584x600, 46K)

has anyone ever called them obsolete?

They are both used and applicable in this day and age, even in the civilian market.

Attached: A01A78A1-D42F-4CF8-AAEC-FDE45EE2A44B.jpg (2048x1255, 701K)

The M3 Airborne Howitzer was designed to use most of the ammo that the M101 could use at the time, but I have my doubts it could effectively use modern ammo. Most modern M101 users have rebarreled theirs to a long barrel configuration to fully utilize the ammo from the Light Guns

Is that an avalanche team?

Yes

>WWII Howitzers
>Obsolete
Nope.jpg

Take for example M101 Howitzers. M101 Howitzers are primary workhorses in Non-Commie SEAsian countries largely because there's so much ammo for it and you can cart it anywhere, which is nice in the Jungle.

Attached: Philippine soldiers shelling rebel positions.jpg (1024x683, 115K)

Hell, even non-shitholes like South Korea still use their WWII period guns.

In SK they're mounting them on self-propelled automated platforms.

Attached: Self Propelled howitzer.jpg (1280x720, 38K)

>Current year
>Not using superior tracked guns
Clearly the tank is the best solution to the need for avalanche control.

Attached: WA-state-DOT-M60-tank.png (623x407, 301K)

>when someone says .45 they are referring to the 1911.

No, I'm talking about long colt. When you absolutely positively have to kill some assailant with a semi auto glawk, or cheap wonder 9 accept no substitute

frog boomermeme poster. Unemployed neet or underage detected

Clearly

Attached: f-15e-2452433_1280.jpg (1280x855, 138K)

You misspelled misspelt

>airlifted artillery is outdated

Since when?

That's the dopest shit

Howitzers are not obsolete. Wheeled 155/152 Self-propelled platforms are getting popular
Now I just wish they could perfect IDF with recoilless rifles, a DF/IDF 155 RR right there are on the front lines would be pretty sweet, especially a canister round

I checked it and the english spelling (which we learn here) is "misspelt".

Kill yourself boomer Jew

newfag

Some designs can never be phased out. Russia still uses the tu-95 and hinds because they're one of a kind airframes and they still work. Why remove it?

Kek dumb frogposter is right for once