New gun user wants accurate information

I am extremely inexperienced with firearms having only fired them twice in my life and under supervision of the owner of the weapons involved. I am currently borrowing a weapon from a friend to learn how to handle and use a firearm. I therefore have no idea on some of the basics that I'm sure most of you here know. I would appreciate accurate information that could help my learning experience be safer, faster, and if possible less expensive.

Basic information
Weapon for training. Mosin-Nagant rifle. 7.62x54R chambered. To my knowledge, it is a pretty stock weapon with no alterations, bells or whistles. If I remember correctly, Czech manufactured.
Training level desired: I want to be comfortable with the weapon and if necessary be able to hunt appropriate game with the firearm. Deer, Boar, Freezing Russians, Angry firearm-wielding apes. Nothing amazing, as I don't believe I have the natural talent.
Notes: I will not be cleaning the weapon. The owner wishes to make sure he cleans it himself. I assume to insure it is well maintained and not ruined. I will return it to him every 100 rounds fired or if I use it and more then a week is expected to pass until next use.

What I wish is some tips, pointers, hints and just plain knowledge, probably hard earned by others, to make this far more efficient.

Biggest concern, personally, is where do you guys find decent range ammo that doesn't gouge you on shipping... It seems like this is going to be a bit of an expensive learning experience.

Thanks to all those that contribute.

Attached: 1512088534115.jpg (500x395, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareCzechStock.htm
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Moist Nugget
gunbot.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=j22CGzs5Vik
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Back before the Ukraine/Russia brundlefuck, and sanctions, 7.62x54mmR used to be retardedly cheap, surplus ammo could be bought in large quantities at a low price.
The primers were corrosive (because that's cheaper), but as long as you made sure to clean the barrel out after each session (a mix of Windex and water, then drying the bore out, would deal with the corrosive primer salts), you wouldn't have to worry about rust.

These days, cheap ammo would be Wolf and Tula steelcased stuff, though it isn't as cheap, it's nowhere near as corrosive. Prvi Partizan is ok too, it's brass cased.

learning with a nuggets a great way to develop recoil flinch.

Attached: zHY5oKA.jpg (628x504, 29K)

>tampa
Hey man, St. Pete here. Couple things.

7.62 Russian is pretty up there in price. The nice thing is that the steel cased stuff at walmart (and they do carry it) is 100% A-ok to shoot without cleaning immediately after. If the owner doesn't want you cleaning it, don't clean it.

Not knowing which nugget you have, I can tell you it's probably the most basic bitch longarm to learn on. This is a good thing. It kicks, and it's loud, but it's also got a fairly flat learning curve.

Borrowing guns suck. The good news is, the pawn shops in Pinellas and Hernando have a lot of decent deals. If you want a rifle for yourself, I reccomend a .22, any will do fine as long as it works. Old Marlin 60's are my go-to, but a lot of people swear by anything Ruger. Pistol, pretty much whatever you want with a brand you recognize, in a caliber that isn't stupid expensive to shoot--the big three are .45ACP, .40S&W, and 9mm NATO/Luger/Parabelum/x19. Shotgun is shotgun. Whatever's in your budget that's either a 12 or a 20 gauge.

Any more questions?

Shove it so far up your asshole that you shred your intestines, useless faggot.

Are bimetal bullets from things like Wolf and Tula as bad for your barrel as some people make it out to be? Like if someone bought 5k rounds of them and shot then exclusively would you really need to look at buying a new barrel?

>Are bimetal bullets from things like Wolf and Tula as bad for your barrel as some people make it out to be?
Yes

That sucks, I was going to get some .308 surp from south korea but it's bimetal so I wanted to ask before stocking up on like 2k rounds.

>Mosin-Nagant rifle
>Czech manufactured

I'd stock up on it for SHTF but I try to never shoot bimetal stuff out of my guns.
I have about 15,000 rounds across three calibers that are all bimetal cheap ammo, but I dont ever shoot it unless my friends want to fire it from their guns.

Well the idea was that if Russian peasants could be taught to use it, so could I. As I said, I don't believe I have a talent for it, but it is a skill I would like to learn. Rifles, while bad for interior home defense, are fine utility firearms. You can feed your yourself, defend yourself in non-urban terrain, and the like. If things got bad personally, I could take such a rifle and head out into the woods and have some chance at survival. Not a good one, but some.

As far as what I wish to get eventually, I'm not sure. I'm very new to this and wish to learn. I'm a bit of a history nut, so I have a love of older weapons, but I know I could never handle all the difficulties in say a Kentucky/Pennsylvania Long Rifle. Though I would love to fire one at least a few times in my life. So I would want a more modern rifle, easy to maintain, with decent hunting characteristics. I have no idea what that would be, but I enjoy learning and that is what I hope to do here. Learn.

More questions? I am so lost that I have more questions then answers. I have questions to my questions, like what questions SHOULD I be asking...

A bit out of my element here.

Probably why I'm so interested. This is so new to me.

Budget? I am learning. So I want to learn cheap enough that I have more to invest once I know what I should be doing. I have an idea of getting a license but again, I don't know how deep down this rabbit hole I am wanting/will go. So who knows?

But thank you for giving me whatever you can.
And thank you. Looking them up so I can have a better idea.
But I have no idea what a nugget is, so I can't really thank you...

But I know flinching is bad. Squeeze the trigger, don't yank. Relax. Exhale, and right at the end of the breath, before you start to inhale is when you squeeze the trigger. Oh, and don't leave your finger on the trigger. Especially with this Mosin, as the only safety it has, IS my finger...

Attached: AsIntended.jpg (1440x1431, 160K)

>mosin
>czech
Czech yourself before you wreck yourself

7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareCzechStock.htm

Yeah, it looks like this site's picture. They call it a VZ54 Sniper model. Seems to be a carbine, rather then an actual rifle. Sorry. I didn't know.

Attached: 1522958333111.jpg (2199x1258, 506K)

What the fuck? I cant fucking believe that some chucklefuck actually copied the green text and put it on youtube.

Did some quick checking of the firearm. It's stamp seems to be a 1932 Russian made. But as the site says, the Czechs used Russian parts, cut down, to make the carbines. Makes sense and Czechs wouldn't have had Russian weapons in 32. So I guess that is the story behind this weapon.

Interesting, although I wouldn't have guessed may would be out there, much less imported to the US.

Huh. I have a VZ24 that I love, I just assumed Czechs just went full tilt with those.

>Budget?
Anything more than $500 is pretty hefty. You can get just about anything you want for that amount of money. AR's can be built for less than that. If you're just training with your buddie's Mosin, $50 should buy you enough ammo from Walmart to get decent trigger time.
>license
Don't go get a CC license until you spend time on the range and get some basics down.
>Nugget
Nagant. Mosin Nagant. We call them Nuggets.

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Moist Nugget

Attached: say_no_to_nuggets.png (859x1210, 88K)

Yeah. This is a very large reason I want to learn more about firearms. So much history, so much humanity, tied into these weapons. It fascinates me.

Just a bit too much to learn in a short amount of time; and I would like to go to the range by Friday (or even tomorrow) so I can try it. I'm really excited. Like a child on Christmas Eve wondering what tomorrow will bring.

In addition to my VZ24 I picked up a few Steyr M95/30's for $100 each. Basically Austria took Mannlicher M95's, cut them down for the cavalry, and rechambered them to 8x56R. I'm pretty sure the ones I got wound up in Bulgaria for a bit.

Hey man, it's great that you're getting into firearms. It's the oldest American tradition. Some people are going to be a dick to you here, there going to tell you to lurk moar, some might even intentionally give you bad advice but that just comes with the territory. Don't get discouraged. Most of the people like that don't even own weapons.

For starters, a Mosin Nagant is lovingly called a nugget around these parts. TulAmmo is your best bet because our relationship with Russia is fairly frosty right now. You can find it at Walmart and it isn't too expensive there.

Even though you wrote that you'd like a hunting rifle, I'd still suggest to you what almost every beginner should start out with and that's a rifle chambered in .22 long rifle. The reason being is that the ammo is obscenely cheap, and the rifles can be cheap as well. I'm talking 500 rounds for less than $20 with a rifle being sub $250. As well as most .22 rifles being fairly simple when it comes to maintenance and disassembly. There are a number of good choices but I'd suggest either a Marlin 60 or a Ruger 10/22, there is also a bolt action Czech model that is popular but it's a little more expensive.

Once you've gotten familiar and comfortable with shooting, maintaining, and tweaking your rifle the world is your oyster. You can go in any direction from there.

Attached: sight allignment.jpg (600x1189, 148K)

Ok. I understand. Luckily, I am borrowing the carbine, not buying it. Just to learn a few basics. Guess my friend either didn't know how bad it could be or just figured that as a history nut, I would love it either way. He is a good guy, so I don't figure he actually just wanted to laugh at me as I return it to him so soon...

Probably going to be a waste of the range fee. But I can afford that and a box of ammo to learn a basic couple of things. Including just what a range looks like. So either way, I should learn. Maybe not what I wanted to learn, but I will learn something.

Thanks.

Oh I wasn't thinking of getting the license today or something. Just down the road. This world looks worse and worse as time goes by, and I figure it's about time I took responsibility for my own safety instead of trusting luck, my friendly disposition, and the police. But again, that is down the road, and more of a fantasy then definitive goal.

My goal is to learn what I can, so I know how deep I want to go.

And thanks to you for the information. Nuggets. Got it.

Is the range itself likely to overprice the ammo? Like a convenience store does it's stock?

I ask because if the above user is correct and this is going to be a small slice of hell for a learning experience, I don't want to invest rounds that I just won't use.

But then again, I could give the excess back to my friend. As sort of a thank you, rental fee, laugh it up, jackass, combo...

>Is the range itself likely to overprice the ammo?
Absolutely. Shoot Straight isn't bad, but what you're looking for is an obsolete military round that isn't commonly used. So it's going to go for at least $1/rd at the range.

>all these fucking responses
>not the one correct answer
LURK MOAR
>wtf is wrong with Jow Forums these days?

Attached: 20B6B041-E4FB-4AA1-875C-677034C53AFA.jpg (2338x1700, 643K)

Honestly, the Nagant is kind of a shit rifle for your first time. An AR-15 or AK pattern rifle would be better

Gonna be totally honest with you: Nagants fucking suck. They got popular because nuggets and their ammo used to be dirt cheap. You could get them for $50 at one point, so naturally every Jow Forumsommando had one. Nowadays they are really only a curiosity. The ammunition isn't cheap anymore and it kicks like a motherfucker. The rifles themselves are not terribly accurate or easy to handle.
They were made to be cheap as fuck and they came from an era when all weapons were loaded with big fat bullets and huge powder charges. They are not good for a beginner.

If you want to learn to shoot a rifle that you can use for hunting then I would suggest picking up a .308 or .223 gun. The .223 is going to be much cheaper to shoot than the .308.
If you are interested in bolt actions only then look into Savage and Tikka rifles. Both are cheap as fuck and good quality.
Do NOT buy Remington. Remington was bought out by another company some years ago and they gutted quality control. All Remington products went to shit and the company is on the verge of bankruptcy because of it.

For semiautomatics: Get an AR of Palmetto State Arms' website. Also cheap + good.

>ammo
Don't buy ammo at a range ever. They always gouge. Buy online if you can.
This site will locate the cheapest ammo on the internet for you.
gunbot.net/

.22 is totally useless for teaching adults to shoot. You might as well use an air rifle for all the good it's going to do you.

Attached: 5 nuggets.jpg (745x568, 73K)

THANK YOU. That tells me a lot. I honestly thought I would be focusing more on the target then the tip sight. Interesting.

Thanks. I know this place isn't nice. And I know to use it as a starting point for knowledge, not a cite-able reference or anything solid. Just was hoping that like my friend, some enthusiasts would love their hobby so much, that I might be able to skip over a really dumb mistake or two by them pointing out a hard lesson learned.

Like the sight alignment picture and the recoil flinch picture. Those little bits are probably gold to me understanding what I am likely to do wrong.

It wouldn't be my first choice for a noob, but assuming OP isn't doing something fucking retarded like holding the rifle away from his shoulder, he'll probably manage.

Badass! I wish I was as cool as you!

The Czech sniper versions are generally much nicer than the average Russian 91/30, so your first gun isn't quite as miserable as it first seemed.

>literally a Reddit screencap of some soiboi screeching about the recoil of a .30 caliber rifle
Kill yourself.

Yes. Be an asshole. It will help with your penis size. Truly it will.

Yeah, I'm getting that. But I'll be honest, you can't beat the deal I got. A free rifle, with interesting history, free maintenance, and even a single box of ammo. All I need to do is put in the time and the range fee. Plus I would actually like to buy my own rounds and return my friend's rounds. Just seems like a decent thing to do for someone being a good guy.

Thanks for the information. Yeah, they liked the idea of a single shot being all a soldier needed to stop another man from killing him. Didn't hurt that a lot of people where hunters and/or manual laborers back then. More used to pain, better grip strength and often trained to shoot before they we actually drafted. So they could take the abuse the guns put out back then better.

But again, as said above; I got a good deal on her.

THANKS SO MUCH for the site. I've been drowning trying to keep searching these sites for the best deal. That will help a bunch, even when I move past the Mosin onto whatever is next.

As far as what to buy, you lost me a bit, but I'll save the info and look back at it when I plan to actually invest in my first weapon.

Do you already have a range you have in mind or have visited?

I have a few tips. If you shoot standing, lean into the gun. Do not stand with a straight back. You want to curve your back a little, squat down just a little bit at the knees, and lean your chest forward a bit. This will help control recoil. But don't take it from me, take it from world champion shooter and one of Jow Forums's favorite grandpas Jerry Miculek: youtube.com/watch?v=j22CGzs5Vik

You may hear the words "cheek weld". This is the concept of snuggling your cheek up to the correct place on the buttstock of the gun. This allows you to get your eye lined up correctly as well as deal with the recoil of each shot. A bad cheek weld will cause poor accuracy. This is something you can practice at home. Just focus on getting a good feel for where your face should go onto the rifle. This WILL change with firing experience, as you can't simulate recoil and what it will do to your cheek weld.

Attached: DSCN0031[1].jpg (1024x768, 307K)

OP others have shared their opinions so I suppose I may as well add to the pile.

If you're currently borrowing the Mosin, fine, but is the owner considering selling it to you? If you like old historic guns it's not the worst one to start with. You can still get ammo from Wal-Mart and take deer with it if need be.

As for buying your own I recommend a basic bolt-action .22 rifle. Can be new or used. I personally love the CZ 452 byt even an old dusty Sears branded gun from the 60s will do and they can be had under $100 any day of the week. Get a cheap vasic plinker and a couple thousand rounds of .22lr and spend a few days just honing you skill. Eliminating the massive noise and recoil really helps develop the muscle memory that will translate back to shooting your Mosin better as well.

I would also recommend investing in a good pistol, as it is the most useful self-defense gun overall since it can be concealed. Preferably a 9mm automatic or a .357/.38 spl revolver. A revolver is simpler to learn on but automatics do have more firepower on tap.

Shotguns are very good too. Home defense, sporting clays, hunting (especially birds) and innawoods uses as well. A basic single-shot 12 or 20ga can be had under $100, but $300 will buy a Mossberg 500 combo which I feel is the best deal possible. The 500 combo has both an 18.5" barrel for home defense and generally blasting shit as well as a 28" for clays and bird hunting. It's easy to swap between the two and it makes the gun extremely versatile for a wide range of applications.

Finally, for a serious fighting rifle you really want it to be semi auto. Yes a Mosin fought in WW2, but it was already behind the curve then. AR15s are dirt cheap nowadays, so eventually moving up to one is a good objective. If you feel 5.56mm is underpowered, you can move up to battle rifles in 7.62 NATO. That could be an AR-10, or perhaps a PTR-91 (basically a civilian German G3). They are expensive for your budget however, but do a lot.

The AK market is very shit right now; Century's own AKs (RAS47, C39v2), are handbombs, IO are also handbombs, Zastava isn't being imported very much at the moment, and WASRs are averaging out at like twice their real value, because Century knows they can jew you.

Arsenal isn't bad, but they're overcharging a bit, also they're only in 7.62mm, no 5.45mm for a while, and no 5.56mm.
If you just gotta have an AK, the Arsenal SAM7SF is pretty good across the board (though some complain about the finish), but the big question is if they're worth your money.

No. I know that the carbine needs to be against my body, as it needs to be stable else the recoil will be both worse and completely throw off the shot. Just kind of wondering, do I put the stock into the socket of the shoulder, the meat of the humerus, or more along the clavicle?

I think the clavicle would be more stable, but I think that it's supposed to go more into the socket area. I'm pretty damn sure that the head of the humerus is just wrong.

I hope it's not miserable at all. But I realize that it isn't likely the case. Good to know that it might not be a small slice of hell.

>mfw I picked up a saiga NIB in 5.45 for $600 a couple years ago

>They were made to be cheap as fuck and they came from an era when all weapons were loaded with big fat bullets and huge powder charges.
They're really not that far from .30-06, or 7.92x57mm Mauser, powerful, but can be managed.

Unless the gun is like 4-5lbs and manual action, recoil is really nothing earth shattering.

Humerus.

Those were the days.
Maybe we can have cheap Saigas again, of all kinds of calibers, one day in the future.

Attached: trigger squeeze.jpg (932x932, 110K)

Wait, fuck, not humerus!

Attached: SF_050514b_GSports_shootposition.jpg (632x800, 113K)

>.22 is totally useless for teaching adults to shoot
You've never been to an Appleseed, I see.

Interested in bolt actions only? Buy a Savage in .223 Rem. It's a highly accurate cartridge that's easy on the pocketbook.

Want an autoloader? Get an AR. Palmetto is the best bang for your buck, but the DPMS for under five hundy works just fine.

Want a shotgun? Don't.

Where do women dress like this? I want to make sure I don't come within 1000 miles.

I agree, fuck this nogunz OP. Sounds like a huge bitch who can’t do anything for himself.

I do. It's one close to the University. Seems like it's got some good reviews and the facilities seem to be really nice, at least as advertised... Lots of classes too, just in case I feel really out of my depth. Figure it is a bit of a drive, but seems worth it.

Thanks for the tips on the stance. I don't think I will be standing. I believe the range requires me to sit for the 100 yard range, but I'm not sure. I haven't been there yet. But I will save the video and come back to it latter. I got to get up in less then 6 hours for work, so I will need to call it a night. I will check it thoroughly tomorrow. So no range on the way home after work.

Yeah, I've been a bit of geek and loading, cycling, and holding the weapon. So I've have been unknowingly practicing the weld, but I will pay more attention to it and make sure I tighten it up.

I don't think he wants to sell it to me, and truth be told, as he really loves his guns, it would feel almost disrespectful to offer. It's got history, and it is one of the ones he talks about a lot with me. So if I get one, which I may depending on how well I can take using her, I'll probably talk with him before I do, for pointers. If he really wants to part with her, he will make an offer. If not, I won't insult him by asking.

.22 yeah, I keep hearing that. It makes sense.I had just hoped that maybe, I could skip the squirrel rifle. Another reason, far lesser, that I was liking the idea of using the Mosin. But it does make a lot of sense.

For pistol, even if it is just a "shelf baby" I want to own a .45, preferably Colt, in my dreams, from the early 40s, in complete fantasy-land from the 1910s. So much history that I would grin just looking at it. Also I heard it has good stopping power, and is pretty handy; less of a pig then say a Beretta M-9.

Shotguns, well if I was going to go all the way into this rabbit hole, I would have to own a double barrel shotgun. The first gun I ever fired. At age 7-8.

cont'd from Under the gaze of my grandfather and his friend that owned the farm we were on, I fired it into the woods after requesting to do so. While they drank beers and watched, I flew back what felt like 10 feet as I unleashed both barrels, probably somewhere towards the sky. I'm sure I was deadly to some leaves.

Memories alone would require me to own one.

As far as for actual usage. I heard the name Benelli and I have heard of Mossberg. But truth be told, I wouldn't know what to do other then the words Shotgun and 12 gauge...

For fighting... AR15s are both dirt cheap and praised for ease of use. The 5.56 is said to have felt very light recoil. So I would likely have little problems learning with it. But I just don't know why I seem to gravitate to so many other weapons. Aesthetics? I mean I love the look of the old rifles. They just seem more, solid. I know that it does't matter to modern fighting, but the more plastic the gun, the less it feels like a weapon to kill. More like it's a tool for sport. I don't even know if I'm expressing it right. Just a feeling I have. No real logical sense to it. Guess I will have to learn to toss it.

Thanks to all, as I said at the beginning. You have given my many useful directions to continue to research. Maybe I'll actually become knowledgeable enough to help someone else with what you have given me.

I appreciate it. Truly.

>gun user wants accurate information
you came to the wrong place sonny-jim

A Colt 1911 in .45 is a little behind the technology curve, it does kick quite a bit and ammunition is more expensive than 9mm.

That said it is also an American institution. There are dozens of companies manufacturing copies of it today and the vast aftermarket lets you do pretty much anything you want with it. If you want.

As for an SxS, nothing wrong with them either when it comes to sport shooting or blasting stuff. Look for a used Savage 311, they made tons of them for years as utilitarian hardware store guns and most still work just fine. Since they are older I recommend sticking to brass based shells like Winchester AAs rather than the cheaper bulk birdshot. They'll extract more reliably.

As for ARs, I get you. I don't like them all that much either. Look into the PTR-91, maybe an M1 Garand, M1A (or other civilian M14 copy), maybe a Ruger Mini-14.

Oh yeah also completely forgot about FAL clones with wooden furniture. They're probably right up your alley.

Ok op, a few things from me. I've been helping people learn for a long time now.
First off are you safety oriented? Do you know all the rules and follow them strictly? If not that will be the first thing to get you burned in a public situation. Hickock45 has a good video on muzzle control this is especially important on a bolt as the muzzle can go anywhere when a new shooter is trying to operate it. Second get very familiar with the mechanics of the firearm the mosin is pretty simple over all, understand how everything feeds into each other and how possible malfunctions may arise. Third if you are at a public range and you don't understand something do not feel afraid to ask the range officer for help they are there to teach and to make sure you and everyone else is safe. Fourth the nugget has a pretty substantial round for s beginner but if you persist you can master it easily, keep the stock tight into the pocket of your shoulder where the spot where you rest your cheek is close to you, next make sure if you're shouldering it on your right shoulder you aim with your right it inline with the sights. You'd be surprised at how many new shooters make this mistake without realizing it and not understanding why their shots keep missing. Finally, have fun. Should you desire to have more information I can post my email here so you can continue after this thread is dead.

Bump