What ear protection do you wear at indoor ranges? Specifically electronic hearing protection...

What ear protection do you wear at indoor ranges? Specifically electronic hearing protection. Was thinking about buying a set of pic related but am worried the 20 decibel rating isn’t enough for indoor shooting because I heard some guy say that and I don’t know any better. Overall is electronic worth it?

Attached: 4C7E643B-0CE4-4FEB-A739-47A83AD3CD4F.jpg (379x383, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Camelback-Sealing-HY80/dp/B00DHVXKVA
manualslib.com/manual/8200/Peltor-Electronic-Headset-Tactical-Pro.html
amazon.com/Ears-Gold-Muffs-Black-GS-DPM-B/dp/B00FSWP2E4/
wiki.ezvid.com/best-electric-ear-muffs
dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/noise-induced-hearing-loss/
noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have that exact pair. They've been perfect for indoor rifle shooting, but I swapped out the ear cups with something comfier / a better seal. (Was a few years ago, so I dont remember what they are). Remember that decibels are a logarithmic unit, so they scale really steeply.

Research some alternate ear cups. If you're still worried, you can always double up with ear plugs.

Howard Leight Impact Pros plus plugs.

I turn the speakers off because people are really fucking stupid and I don't want to listen to their conversations.

>Buy electronic ear pro
>turn off the electronic part
user... why not just buy normal ear pro then?

Watched a review on them and guy had swapped them to gel. Wanted to know more though cuz he was outdoors and I’ve heard that the howards are rated at 20 decibels and people say it’s not good enough for indoor unless you double up and anyways the 3m have the same rating. Don’t really want to double up

Don't pay attention to NRR, it doesn't apply to shooting. Pay attention to attenuation charts you can find in manuals that list attenuation at specific frequencies. Gunshots produce the most energy between 1 and 2kHz. NIOSH recommends double hearing protection when shooting at all times.

I’m pretty new/dumb and I didn’t know they recommend that. I don’t think I’ve ever doubled up.

Double up indoors for sure. I still double up outdoors, especially when shooting SBRs. No point going deaf early. Surefire sonic defenders and howard leights are my go to, though I may upgrade the howard leights (as they were part of the chinese knockoffs on amazon that people were refunded for) and get something with nice gel cups like a sordin.

I definitely agree no need to go deaf early I just hadn’t noticed anything wrong with just wearing cups. Maybe I’m already deaf and I’m wasting money on useless hearing protection.

I don't go to indoor ranges.

Attached: 1528691917170.jpg (700x700, 94K)

>I don't go to indoor ranges
Why even post this? You think you're better than us punk?

Howard Leight Impact pros

I wear them shooting so I can talk to people and hear what they say, and hunting I turn them up all the way so I can hear better.

>Why even post this?
Because OP asked.
>You think you're better than us punk?
Yes.

Well, what do you wear when shooting your .22lr off the back deck?

what ever muffs you buy, the gel cups (if available for that model) are worth the extra money.

Ribbed plugs almost all the time, doubling up with Beretta muffs when I'm at the rifle range next to Elmer and Cletus with their weatherby magnum calibers with muzzle brakes.

I just have those cheap ones from Home Depot that cancel 80 decibels. They're enough not to go deaf with a 9mm.

It's really a better safe than sorry, thing. Impulse noises are a big challenge for hearing protection. Measuring the performance is no easy feat.

>80 decibels
impossibru

I use the 26 dB 3M Peltor TacticalPRO and I upgraded it with gel pads which might push it closer to 30dB. It seems just enough to be around pistol fire, and is very comfortable.

Problem is, the asshole rangemasters seem to always put guys with AR's in the lanes next to me, and it's not enough protection for that.

Here are the gel pads, they should work on any 3M / Peltor:

amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Camelback-Sealing-HY80/dp/B00DHVXKVA

And here are the muffs I put them on:

manualslib.com/manual/8200/Peltor-Electronic-Headset-Tactical-Pro.html

My shooting buddy has a .300WM with a deafener, I mean muzzle a brake installed, which sends a lot of the sound back toward the neighboring lane points. I also have some 33dB massive muffs that make me look like a dork, cost me $300 but even those aren't enough for that freaking grenade of a report, not even outdoors.

Here are those, just as an FYI...

amazon.com/Ears-Gold-Muffs-Black-GS-DPM-B/dp/B00FSWP2E4/

So, i use a $14 pair of no name muffs from academy. They seem to work pretty well. Am i gunna go deaf?

We have this thread a lot...

Attached: 828732B3-0255-4914-8F2A-159FE5688CF1.jpg (3179x3024, 3.79M)

wiki.ezvid.com/best-electric-ear-muffs

Wtf...? Would that even work without consistent all over cover?

Not completely, buy if you often go shooting with them as your only protection, you will suffer hearing loss from it. There is "normal" hearing loss with age, but your loss will be significantly worse than normal if you keep that up. When the hair cells in your cochlea break from sound exposure, they cannot ever be fixed. Custom hearing aids will run you four figures. Just spend the money on protection and do what you can.

What is the NRR? Howard Leight L2F (27 NRR) and L3 (NRR 30) are only like 20 bucks ya know. I have both and prefer the L2F just because the L3 is fuckhueg.

Yeah it just adds a little extra dampening. I did it to only one set and switched between my other set to see if I could notice a difference. It wasn’t like super amazing cone of silence but I could clearly hear a difference. I did it to both my HLs. If you get free plugs it’s worth every penny.

Attached: 1C45C976-3DE4-4A80-83A7-ABFD9E07C407.jpg (3121x2618, 2.49M)

None. I like the ringing sounds and the way the sound echos. Also when I get home the screaming seems a lot quieter, so that's always a plus.

>80dB muffs
You've got to be misreading that. Perhaps it says you need the muffs for sounds which are above 80dB?

Gunshots go WAY over 100dB so you should reduce that sound as much as possible, and the high 20's of decibels IS possible with just earmuffs, and consider doubling up further with ear plugs.

AFAIK there exist no 30dB or higher muffs for under $200.

And I've never seen them above 36dB at any price.

dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/noise-induced-hearing-loss/

noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

Always double up at Indoor ranges.

You never know when somebody lets rip with a .357 mag

Mine has blue tooth, so I often listen to music when shooting.

I mean electronic muffs under $200. Yes the Howard Leight L3 passive muffs are 30dB for under $25. An excellent value - and made by Honeywell.

Impact Pro plus plugs, I got them for free thanks to my job and they work well enough.

>AFAIK there exist no 30dB or higher muffs for under $200.
Howard Leight Impact Pro.

How are Walker Razors? Local Cabela's is having a sale on the black models so they're about the price of Howard Leights.

Attached: 123412343124124.jpg (880x660, 32K)

Double up. I have some peltors I use, even with foam ear plugs underneath I got tinnitus from a cocksucker with a 7.5" AR right next to me.

Fuck shooting indoors man.

Its not that loud you fucking pussy. Yesterday i deliberately fired a single 9mm shot in a tiny indoor range with NO EARPRO and guess what, it enit even bad, the eeeee went out after less than a minute. With basicbitch earpro, i'm the one who goes through a box of .357 ammo. Its nothing with earpro on. Stop being a fucking pussy it does nothing to your ears you don't need to "double up" unless you're firing a fucking battle rifle indoor. And a buch of ranges don't even allow rifles.

Attached: 1529987892307.jpg (800x600, 121K)

Whoah, thats super cool. I wear perscription glasses and fucking hate wearing my earmuffs with it.
Those things are $40, worth it?

you feeling okay buddy

Attached: 1502784054285.jpg (500x734, 51K)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

you're being too obvious

Looks like from their website that the glasses arent actually on your ears, theyre just above them resting on the headset muffs themselves.
Does that change the angle of your glasses significantly? Is it bothering?

No man, i hate Jow Forums.
>hurr durr, i need a suppressor for home defense, i dont want to lose my hearing.
This place is filled with the most massive of pussy ASS bitches i cant even believe this is a gun board. Can oyu fire one fucking shot and see its not that bad? A once in a life time home defense shooting with a few rounds would kill of 0.01% of your hearing.

Obvious of what you fucking "i need cement in my ears for protection" faggot?

>tfw you bought glasses with the slimmest arms you could find specifically not to hinder earpro

Attached: 1234132412.jpg (1000x754, 400K)

I'm too poor for ComTacs, but having music playing on the range is really nice.

Attached: Tactical500.jpg (2039x2700, 731K)

>not using a can and boombox

Attached: photo_2017-10-15_18-00-12.jpg (1136x640, 126K)

Can't own suppressors unfortunately.

What are you hoping to accomplish here user? You really think anyone is going to take the bait so hard they're gonna start shooting without earpro just to appease some dude on the internet saying "bitch?"

Attached: 1467056136438.png (558x744, 428K)

I never suggested to shoot without ear pro. Of fucking course you need good earpro. What i am saying is that you don't need to double up in case someone shoots .357, and that a single session of no ear pro, such as once in a lifetime HD scenario won't do any damage to your hearing big enough for you to notice. So you don't need ear pro for HD or a suppressor, and you don't need to put plugs under your muffs at the range.

I'm trying to insult pussy faggots who read some article by some doctor with no proof, and no balls to shoot ONE shot of 9mm ONCE IN YOUR LIFE to see what its like. I want you to feel bad, because you really are a pussy.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x698, 223K)

>I want you to feel bad, because you really are a pussy
K den, still gonna double up on hearing protection, don't really have anything to prove to a stranger on an Indian Phenakistiscope Imagehosting Site

Attached: rare plum pepe.gif (600x726, 1021K)

Whatever you fukin zoomer, i hope some hot chick at the range turns you down for a date after first agreeing, but then noticing you doubled up on earpro.

Attached: 1526418932935 - Copy.jpg (360x407, 77K)

>ear protectotion.
You fell for the oldest Jew in the book.

I've got a set. They're okay. The mic is very good at picking up small sounds and voices, but the audio isn't stereo, mono only. Headphone jack is nice, wear them when I mow the lawn. The seals aren't great though, for my head they don't stay sealed great if I'm moving my head around a lot or what have you. I'd recommend getting a set of gel cups like posted. Overall decent, but I'm always doubled up anyway so I may not be the best example.

Peltor Bull's Eye II for pistols, Bull's Eye I for rifles, cause they're not as fat so I can get a proper cheek weld. 31dB and 27dB respectively. Passive because I don't want shit distracting me anyway. They were 20 bucks each. I also double up with some Pluggerz Shoot at 26dB.

Attached: Bullseye.png (810x714, 371K)

Stop paying attention to NRR, it is useless.

If anyone has a manual for these, please post it.

Sorry, should have been clearer - I use it at outdoor ranges so I can hear range commands and stuff. The public range nearby is a deathtrap.

At the indoor range I use, the RSO is like four feet behind me while I'm shooting, so that's less of a concern. That's when I turn it off, because I don't want to hear hicks, yuppies or TOTAL BROS talking about retarded shit. Got little kids, so my shooting time is really limited and I try to really block that crap out and focus when I get a chance to go.

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X

If you shop around you can find them for less than US$170. I ended up buying mine from Finland about a year back when a store had a special.

Mind blown. Ordering a pair and gels, just in case they're good electronic muffs. Thanks!!!!

People are telling you that they're experiencing ringing in their ears with one layer because people are fucking dumb assholes.

You double up and protect your ears more, they don't just fix themselves after they're fucked. If you have to take one layer off to hear, you're still semi-protected and can talk to someone if you had to.

One layer is fine, two layers is just to be safe, because tinnitus is bad.

howard leight banded
cheap, easy to fix, comfy enough, super easy to take in/out when needed, and work great.

Attached: howard-leight-banded-earplugs-ear-plugs-hearing-protection-safety-signage-smooth-ergonomic-pads-ligh (355x355, 13K)