Just trying to not die

I recently bought this PDF-7 gas mask, wondering if any 40mm filters will work. I remember that the standard issure filters had asbestos in them, so I'm not going to take that risk.

Attached: IMG_20180708_143713292_LL.jpg (2168x2168, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/50-55cm-Length-Gas-Mask-Respirator-Tube-40mm-thread-Hose-Connector-W-filter/401542569499?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
hahnsurvival.com/products/limited-swiss-40mm-nbc-nato-gas-mask-filter-hws-abc-sch-74
amazon.com/Mask-Filter-40mm-Military-Grade/dp/B072355JGD/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531342032&sr=8-4
gasmaskandrespirator.wikia.com/wiki/GP-5
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbest
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Assume all soviet filters are asbestos, most of them are and its not worth the risk. Get modern 40mm NATO filters and an adapter

Thanks, I'll check the surplus store tomorrow, then check online. See what's cheaper.

These supposedly accept both NATO and GOST 40mm threads, so you can screw this hose onto the mask and a modern filter on the other end. As for filters, see pic related. Should probably update this chart again, but it's good if you're paranoid about filter safety.

ebay.com/itm/50-55cm-Length-Gas-Mask-Respirator-Tube-40mm-thread-Hose-Connector-W-filter/401542569499?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Attached: damage _control(resized).png (2020x832, 1.59M)

Isn’t the PDF’s hose permanently attached, just like on the GP-4?

russian threads are slightly different than nato 40mm, but it'll work.

hahnsurvival.com/products/limited-swiss-40mm-nbc-nato-gas-mask-filter-hws-abc-sch-74

Polish FP-5 filters should work

Yes it is. I'm suggesting you screw it onto the prexisting hose. Alternatively, you could take thefemale threads from the Chinese hose and put them on the mask after removing the original GOST threads, but that requires a bit of skill.

It will most definitely not work. NATO 40mm male only threads about halfway into GOST female.

Stocks of those are going to dry up soon. Chinese 'normalized' thread hoses aren't going anywhere.

Attached: Telefon2.jpg (958x638, 255K)

my s10 filter fits into my gp5 just fine, although there is roughly 3mm of exposed thread.

Attached: SDC12638.jpg (3648x2432, 1.93M)

it will screw in but it wont protect you

that filter wouldn't, on account of me gutting it for airsoft, but the fit is perfect.
gp5 filter does work with the s10 as well, i don't know what to tell you, it literally does work.

Attached: SDC12639.jpg (3152x2284, 1.45M)

there is no risk even if they do have asbestos, it's in the bottom layer and if the filter is intact, its completely safe.

the filter may screw in, but it is not making contact with the gasket, therefore there is no proper seal.

GOST male 40mm screws into NATO female 40mm just fine (pic related). It just doesn't work the other way around, the thread pitch on NATO male is just too narrow to screw into GOST female completely. I'm sorry you believe otherwise.

Attached: ultravue(12).jpg (1402x1488, 375K)

i've actually verified that the s10 filter DOES make contact with the gasket, which you obviously haven't. I'm sorry you believe otherwise.

the white spot on the gp5 gasket is tipex, the smearing of said tipex matches the smear on the s10 filter. this would appear to be evidence of good fit, along with the absence of any play between filter and mask even when only partially installed. please, explain to me why i'm a fucking idiot.

Attached: tipex.jpg (6072x2384, 2.42M)

buy this, it's a top tier filter
amazon.com/Mask-Filter-40mm-Military-Grade/dp/B072355JGD/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531342032&sr=8-4

Attached: 0b945cb86483cd93123124cdd3e196aa702df532.jpg (460x649, 107K)

my s10 mask is a size 2, and was made by avon in 1990. in your opinion, is it possible that either the s10 was made with soviet filter compatibility in mind, or that my example is an outlier - made out of spec or something?

or could it be that the filter itself is not true NATO spec?

because even if you got the filter to seat all the way, you've more than likely chewed up the threads in order to get it there.
And even if that isn't the case, you clearly have some rare exception to the norm because I can't get an S-10 or any other nato filter to screw into gost threads more than 1/3 of the way before it starts getting chewed up.

also never said you were an idiot, if you have some weird anomaly gp-5 that accepts nato 40mm, more power to you, I'm just going off what I've experienced firsthand and what other collectors generally go by.

like I said, gost filters can screw into nato masks just fine, it's just when you try to screw nato filters into gost masks is where you start running into problems

Attached: s10(2).jpg (1781x1398, 525K)

the threads are perfect m8, i'd take a picture, but obviously my camera's to shit. the markings on my gp5 are a character that looks like qp -808 and T84.. if that means anything to you. and the idiot thing, "I'm sorry you believe otherwise" sounds a bit cunty, especially after i'd posted pics demonstrating i wasn't just talking out of my arse.

it just seems unlikely to me that my particular gp5 is "special" . apart from a barcode, there are no markings of any kind on the s10 filter, maybe the filter itself is doing me a bamboozle here.

going off the infor provided, your GP-5 was made by Tambovmash in the second quarter of 1984. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Also don't take it personally, I can be kind of a sour shitdick sometimes, especially when I get dissonant over things I learned and regard as basic knowledge getting all tossed up. I really can't explain why your particular S10 filter can fit GOST threads, I'll go double-check mine, I do know there are a few rare exceptions to the rule, but afaik the general rule of thumb is that nato male and gost female don't mix.

that's strange, usually S-10 filters are stamped designated either L12A1 (which those are old and have chromium toxicity) or PS-10 (the more common, modern variant).

Attached: gcr(1).jpg (1360x1483, 336K)

fair enogh m8 i'm a salty cunt too, especially tonight. and according to gasmaskandrespirator.wikia.com/wiki/GP-5
mine doesn't seem to be special in regards to the filter question, don't know how true that is.
i'm fucking impressed that my description of the markings was actually enough for you divine anything desu, are you a wizard? and the filter (i think) is relatively recent, came with the mask about 5 years ago off ebay, wish i could tell you more.

also, fun fact, one of the discontinued cans of bond-loc plastic cement also fit perfectly into the s10 filter port.

nah, it's simple once you know how Russian meme magic works
for example, my PMK-2:
- Top stamp: Size 3 (Large)
- Middle stamp: This indicates the facepiece number of that particular production batch (mine being No.24 of that year)
- Bottom stamp: the letter indicates the city/factory of origin, 'T' meaning 'Tambovmash'. The numbers are the last two numbers of the year of production (in this case, 2001), and each dot represents a quarter (3 months) of the year, in this case, being the third quarter (January-March) of 2001

Attached: pmk-2(6).jpg (1488x1984, 566K)

see, i was right again, you are a wizard
not that it matters but my mask is a size 1y
where did you learn these arcane slavic runes and their meanings?

Attached: 1y.jpg (3648x2432, 1.72M)

years of communication with other collectors is the short answer, basically
I should also mention the 'y' isn't actually in regards to the size. It's a cyrillic letter 'u' standing for 'uluchshennyy' (meaning 'improved'/'upgraded') and it's in reference to the thickness of the rubber. If it doesn't have the uluchshennyy stamp next to the size number, it's thicker rubber. (such as the case with my PRV-U mask here).

Attached: prvu(5).jpg (1488x1984, 728K)

tight. so, the gas mask wiki says "The GP-5 kit included a 40mm GOST filter (itself designated as GP-5). Unusually for a Soviet mask, the inlet also takes a STANAG 4155 threaded filter, albeit tightly" is that true? i imagine that an ubermensh such as yourself rarely if ever deigns to visit such a lowly site, but if what they say is true, then how were you unaware? is that site not reliable enough to draw information from? or could it be that the gp5 is such a basic bitch mask that you've focused more on the really fucking cool masks instead?
>apologies if i don't make much sense, i've been drinking vodka since about 6

Attached: drinking tube compatiblity.jpg (3648x2432, 1.66M)

believe it or not, I used to write articles for the wiki before everything kinda fell apart with that site.
and basically what that article is describing is that yes, you can put NATO threaded filters on the GP-5, but more often than not (excluding your strange case), the threads will get chewed up and often fail to make a proper, secure seal. basically everything that's already been said in this thread
and you're all good lole

Attached: m3(1).jpg (1298x1730, 435K)

what do you mean about the wiki falling apart? and what did you write for it?
>bonus fact: take the water bottle adapter off of the drinking tube on an s10 and you can fit a roll up in the end and smoke in safety

Attached: missingthepoint.jpg (3648x2432, 1.68M)

eh, the wiki sort of has a reputation to be really disorganized
not saying all the info in there is bad, just saying there could be tidbits of misinformation and I wouldn't know since I don't get involved with the site anymore.

I wrote articles on the M40, Tissot Apparatus, M9A1, and I believe a couple other masks, but they're all heavily edited by other wiki users by now.

Attached: ip4(2).jpg (1984x1488, 550K)

+1 for having been able to get a positive seal on gp-5s with swiss hockey puck filters

neat

shame really, i bet you could provide some solid info to those plebs.
> except on the subject of my miracle mask
i've just been looking, and i could pick up a couple of sealed s10 filters, and check to see if it's just the one racemixing filter that i have that fits in in the GOST ports, or if thats an intentional aspect of their design if you're interested.

Just tried my S-10 filter on my GP-5, I couldn't even get the threads started
this is truely bizarre

right, so what's the difference between my mask and yours? because if anything the correct filter for my gp5 is actually a looser fit than the s10 filter.

Attached: sdrthargzdvgj4.jpg (2456x1752, 988K)

I have no clue, honestly
this is an unheard of thing to me

Attached: IP-4 Insulating Gas Mask and KR-1U Suit.jpg (1504x1000, 372K)

according to my shit tape measure, the threads on the s10 filter are roughly 38mm, and the gp5 are roughly 40mm, yet the s10 filter fits tighter in the gp5 mask than the gp5 filter. the threads on all items are clean, so i must be measuring wrong. the s10 filter and mask came from the same source, presumably some bird cleaning out her ex squaddie husbands' spare room, which makes it unlikely that the filter is non-issue, but the lack of markings got me fucked up.

what if my gp5 is an scp
>anomalous properties
>defies explanation by an expert
> accepts s10 filters
duke i'm scared should i paint the numbers on my flat LGBT colours to appease the diverse paranormal entity that lives within my mask?

also if this thread dies before you respond, just remember you can contact me at
>bazinga

lmao do what you want my dude
I'll bring it up to some of the boys in this one private collector's discord I'm in, see what they think

Attached: M95 Kit.jpg (1600x1200, 465K)

pls send halp miracle mask no longer accepting STANAG it hungers for SOULSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Attached: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeq3ra.jpg (2432x2060, 1.12M)

also if you want add me on FB my name is widdum boise using the pic i just posted

Pictures of the full mask and valve please.

it's a gp5 m8, it looks like every other gp5, same goes for the valve, don't know what you're looking for our even resident expert is bamboozled by this shit. besides, you don't want to get involved, the mask may come for you once it has finished consuming my essence.

Attached: SDC12650.jpg (2796x2088, 1.23M)

If you niggers are worried enough to get a real gas mask, you might as well drop the money on a 3M industrial respirator instead of poisonous milsurp. If you just want aesthetics then idk why you need a functioning filter.

Attached: hiv tiger.jpg (1000x766, 261K)

Attached: 1332608363362.jpg (400x358, 110K)

So I won't be able to remove the hose and just attach the female socket onto the mask directly?

>ywn directly attach a braaap queen's female socket into your gas mask

Attached: allison.parker22_26071514_140412996625285_6802700422692732928_n.jpg (1080x1349, 77K)

Can someone just answer the question?

the asbestos question? after a certain date they supposedly stopped using asbestos but it's still found randomly in russian filters manufactured after that date. none of them will really protect you from much and you're better off not using them.

Bump

Wrong. The dust filter is also on the other end to keep charcoal dust from entering the mask and its asbestos too afaik.

Even if its not why risk it when nato filters can be had for $5 a pop and with an adapter will be more readily available.

But can I remove, or at least shorten the hose?

not without serious rebuilding, you'd need to cut the hose section off they glue the threads to the hole. no guarantee you'd get a good seal and at that point you're better off just buying an MM1 or a GP-7

Bump

I really kinda want to get the M2000 but 100€ is way more pricy than other alternatives.

Attached: m2000gasmask.jpg (450x600, 47K)

>remove tape
>remove wire with needlenose pliers
>if present, remove tape that was under the wire
>take a (preferably dull) flathead screwdriver and coat tip with olive or coconut oil
>carefully wedge between hose and thread stem
>gently twist screwdriver side to side slightly, while moving to the side to break the glue
>if glue proves too challenging to penetrate, heat outside of hose with hairdryer or heat gun sufficiently, being careful not to burn the hose or yourself
>repeat screwdriver
>once glue has been broken, remove the thread assembly
>repeat for chinese hose threads
>wash the inside of the hose and the thread stem with water and a dishrag, wipe with acetone afterwards if you have any (to remove oil residue)
>swap threads
>secure with generic hardware store hose clamp (1/2" or 1" should do you, but don't quote me on it) if you're too much of a kiddo to dick with rubber adhesives, wire, and tape
>???
>profit

now I don't wanna see a duplicate thread with this question again

Attached: JSDF Type 1 (1).jpg (1984x1488, 626K)

You shouldn't have answered him.

Listen, if we didn't, he'd probably make a thrid goddmamn thread, thusly killing off others which are probably more deserving of being on this board.

Attached: killsthemask.png (285x302, 164K)

Better than reactionary flag threads, if it's killing them off, i have no issue.

OP please don't be another gas mask retard like duke and that other "asbesTOS" faggot.

SOVIET gost filters usually do utilize an asbestos prefilter.
RUSSIAN filters do not, buy modern 40mm gost filters on ebay or some equivalent, you will usually get them from some Latvian guy.

>durr I like to play dressup with my boyfriends cock in my mouth so I say that gost filters have asbestos in them
>slurp slurp slurp

Attached: asbestos.png (480x375, 85K)

If you decide you still don't like that idea then buy the polish FP-5 filters. Look for some guy shipping from England on ebay.
Saying the the supply will dry up is not a valid argument, they do work in either gost or nato masks.

Uhhhh.... Russia still mines asbestos and the doctors are not allowed to talk about the negative effects of asbestos exposure.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbest

I suggest you looking into this town and the current Russian attitude to asbestos.

fug

Unrelated to OP.

I recently got a Swedish M51 maks from a surplus store. Seems pretty neat. Are there any outstanding problems with them? Also going to assume that the filter has asbestos, so I'm going to need a safe 60mm or score a 40mm adapter. Any recommendations on filters? Where to get them/good deals?

Bump

Got an adapter, i doubt you'd find a in date M11 filter, as the US headwound masks are the only ones that still use the 60mm thread, and are still issued with them.

Bump

i literally don't give a shit about asbestos lol
I only redid that one "filter safety" chart because the original was so shitty and full if incorrect designations

I own one. Nothing too inherently bad with the design other than the fact it has a rivted harness.

No they don't anymore, the M13A1 Collective Protector Headpieces are used with various Gas-Particulate Filteration Units (Like the M14 GPFU Pictured in the diagram), which have weird 60mm hoses because I guess the military was too lazy to change the thread size. It baffles me these things were being produced as late as 2007

Attached: M14 Collective Protector Unit and M13A1 Hosptial Collective Protector Mask.png (673x422, 204K)

Vump

That's an unexpected angle from a hard core gas mask enthusiast. "i literally don't give a shit about asbestos lol."

>implying asbesTOSS isn't just a meme created by pic related

Attached: Mister Bean confronted by police for having an unlicensed hair clipper.jpg (427x500, 114K)

>Filename

How do you know they stopped making them?

I don't care about living past 60, even if I did contract some sort of lung ailment (which I honestly doubt I did), it'll never develop until I'm at an age where I'm past my prime.

Oh, I'm fairly certain they still produce M13A1's or at least uphold stocks of them to some extent. I'm just saying they stopped using M11 canisters with them ages ago.

Attached: serbm2(2).jpg (1594x1488, 462K)

What do they use instead, Adapters?

like I said in - they have 60mm threaded hoses that connect to a giant blower unit in the apc or field ambulance
while you could thread a 60mm filter into them, they weren't designed for that.

Attached: m13a1(2).jpg (1482x1488, 420K)