What is your honest opinion of the Gripen E?

I'm curious.

Attached: Gripen E IN DETAIL 2014 01 22 GermanBig.jpg (1600x1131, 231K)

Its shit.

No range, small payload and a weak engine that is meant to be used in a pair on a single fighter. You are better off with the F-16.

Attached: 1332591014226.jpg (1200x800, 206K)

Excellent aircraft, good armament options, state of the art radar and avionics, STOL capable, easy and cheap to maintain, excellent payload compared to its weight.
Better than contemporary F-16 all things considered.

Looks nice, don't know much about it yet.

The F-16 is effectively at the end of it's upgrade cycle. I highly doubt Lockheed Martin is going to invest money to create anything beyond the F-16V, given that they were perfectly fine offering to ship the entire production line to India. The Gripen is just at the beginning of what can be assumed a lengthy series of upgrades and innovations.

Its far cheaper and easier to operate and maintain tho.

t. Has done maintanence on both Gripens and F-16s.

> Better than contemporary F-16 all things considered
Is it better than F-16E/V?

Its impressive considering that the development budget is tiny and it comes from a nation with the population of New York.

Sure, not as capable in some regards as some others 4th gens, but that was never intended either.

Attached: gripen_tunnan.jpg (1392x1010, 147K)

Easier yes but cheaper? I thought that the Gripen E had much more expensive spare parts.

I've heard maintenance is more complex on the E version.

I've also heard that C/D at least can handle relatively rough landing surfaces compared to other jets. Is that true?

I really respect Sweden for pulling off the development of a modern aircraft.

it's shit, what makes it more scary to most countries it's that its parts are made in 5 different countries, so it's just a stupid project that can't be exported

Most components that needs regular change are the same

It is in some ways, and its easier in some others from what I know now. Ill probably do a course on the E variant next year.

It can handle pretty bad conditions, but peacetime regulations usually mean the worst ones cant be trained on. Short field takeoff and landing is its real advantage tho. A running joke is that if an enemy bombs our airports he just creates more runways for us.

>It can handle pretty bad conditions, but peacetime regulations usually mean the worst ones cant be trained on
Oh I get that. Can't afford to put our pilots through what Lansen trainees had to do in the 50's :^)

Thanks for the info.

Yep. Pretty much. Those 600 dead guys didnt die so we could keep doing the same mistakes.

Attached: 9df46a04-8f28-4e4f-b1a7-8f6348a88460.jpg (625x417, 39K)

Export restrictions doesn't make it shit, by that logic the F-22 would be terrible.
What makes it hard to export is the fact that Sweden has next to no political or economic power like the other major builders of fighters have.
The USA can bully NATO and allies into buying whatever overpriced hand-me-downs they want, France or the Eurofighter consortium can offer MUCH more attractive economic compensation than Sweden ever could, russia benefits from having a bunch of leftover dictators from the Soviet era that will buy whatever obsolete garbage they decide to give a new paintjob and call improved version and so on. Bribes are paid by literally all in fighter deals and only Sweden is naive enough to be scandalized and try to penalize their salesmen when it gets exposed.

The fact that Gripen still get deals show that it is a good package for the price they offer.

Honestly you'd think Sweden could sell its fighters to some shot-to-hell places.

So is parts for the F-35 and Eurofighter. That doesnt seem to make them impossible to export.

Export laws prevent Gripen from being exported to nations with spotty human rights records or dictatorships. Having a government declaring itself a "moral super power" makes it hard to export arms while the rest of the fighter building nations make oodles of rich ME royalty wanting fancy new toys.

So they need to man up and sell to Taiwan.

This. We dont take our Gripens to the ME, we take ME to us instead.

I think that wouldnt be an issue. Isnt Taiwan pretty decent these days?

It's a good island, but Sweden has been pretty gutless for fear of alienating China.

China goes out of their way to block any arms sales to Taiwan.

Aha, right.

Attached: Saab_J_35A-01.jpg (1125x768, 251K)

The legal loophole is obvious. License Taiwan to build the Gripen indigenously.

I really hate how cowardly the West is when it comes to selling weapons to a friendly DEMOCRACY, over an authoritarian regime.

Engine looks way to small??

Gripen NG will BTFO su 57, but not at f35's level

>so it's just a stupid project that can't be exported

Except it has been exported. Multiple times.

Why are you selling it? To make money.
What will making China angry cost you? Lots of money.
So unless you really feel like arming up Taiwan just for the sake of arming up Taiwan, it doesn't look like all that good a deal.

China doesn't care if it's legal or not (it isn't a "ruled by law" place, it's "ruled through law"), they just don't want anyone selling Taiwan weapons and will happily fuck over any of your companies that do business in China in retaliation.

we are buying it thanks to our ex commie president and coach potato generals.
t.brazil

My point is, it is unwise to arm a potential enemy.

A free licence for the PRC to steal your secrets.

should have bought french

Attached: 1512590236125.jpg (732x763, 63K)

The real question is how the NG will turn out.

It seems there are some who are even talking about a carrier version.

Though, in a less serious tone, with Brazil on board, the NG better be up to the task since Argentina is upping its T6-C Texan II force.

Lovely little warbird. If I were a Third World dictator I would arm myself with them.

it's ass is hot that's what. If i were a dictator i'd buy some

The Slovak government has today finally officially approved the purchase of 14 F-16 Block 70/72 jets over competing Swedish JAS-39 C/D Gripen aircraft. We are finally replacing the MiG-29.

Thanks Burgerbros, although the opposition politicians are heavily criticising the hush hush process, some "analysts" think the Gripen were a cheaper choice and now the news are tainted with this bullshit.

Are Gripens really the better choice please ?

Attached: 071220_mig07.jpg (640x409, 70K)

Poor man's eurotriangle

>14 F-16 Block 70/72 jets over competing Swedish JAS-39 C/D Gripen

The F-16 Blk 70/72 is the very latest in the F-16 line, it will go toe-to-toe with anything russia have, Su-57 included.
The Gripen C/D is the old version of Gripen and can only compete in price. If you got twice as many Gripen C/D for the same price you could argue that it could be worthwhile but otherwise you're better off with the Blk 70/72.

>literally the best fucking deal in our recent history
>Ameriboos/Russiaboos still butthurt because muh jet didn't appear in battlefield vidya

Revell didn't make a 1/72 version of it after releasing the twoseater.

This

>what makes it more scary to most countries it's that its parts are made in 5 different countries, so it's just a stupid project that can't be exported

Most western jets are like that you fucking retard

Revell hans't made any model of the latest Gripen gen (nor has anyone else). The D model is the two seater version of the C.

france stronk

>day it was bought it was a project
>we literally paid for a project
>not even combat proven
>price skyrocket
like i said,coach potato generals are happy with that garbage.it's the same shit like scrapping our CV and getting a FUCKING HELICOPTER CARRIER.

T H I C C

>Project
Yes, and you agreed on it since its a good project that will benefit Brazil
>muh compat roovin!
None of the contenders has fought against an even remotly capable foe, so that point is moot
>price skyrocket
No, thats just false

>Better than contemporary F-16 all things considered.
No, see

>I highly doubt Lockheed Martin is going to invest money to create anything beyond the F-16V,
They already said they were.

It really depends what Slovakia wants or of its air force. With those latest F-16Vs they will be competitive with pretty much any plausible opponent for the foreseeable future, but they won't have enough to have more than about four flying at any one time so will rely on joint operations. They could have had more Gripen C to have a respectable sized air force, but those will soon be relatively uncompetitive against updated Russian fighters, and their short legs while heavily laden might make them somewhat of a liability in joint NATO operations. Arguably Slovakia should have lots of armed jet trainers for air security and to keep an air force that can be upgraded in future should the need arise, and spend the rest of the money on upgrading ground forces equipment and deployability.

>point is moot
fucking f-18 fought in iraqi freedom,it was already a good plane.
the sea gripen version is dead now that we lost our CV.
i won't deny it's a modern plane but what brazil needs is quantity,since it's a big country,we could have got a better deal with the f-18,more of them delivered instead of the gripens being delivered in patches.

What he said was entirely bullshit, only partly true about the C model.

What model of the F-18 was offered, how many flight hours would they have and would there be any Make-in-Brazil deal?

F/A-18E/F Block II,we might never know about the make-in-brazil deal since she lost the bid,but if she won,the boeing-embraer joint-venture happening now would include them perhaps.

US second hand planes usually have a fair bit of flying hours on them since the US actually have the money to train and use their planes, unlike everyone else.
Airframes have a finite amount of flying hours before you need to scrap it and maintenance gets more expensive the more hours a plane has flown.
Those Gripens will be new if nothing else.

and it's so expensive to make new ones compared to a brand new design right?besides,the f-18 is still being produced,soe i don't think they would hand out "second hand" planes,we are not dealing with soviets here.70million a new unit,compared to the more expensive jas-39 E and F variants,let's not forget the 1billion wasted on development costs because brazil wanted a " "wide area display" (WAD), a panoramic 19 by 8 inches touchscreen display."

As a Swede, I want to argue for the Gripen, but the F-16 70/72 is simply way better, if you go for Gripen, you pretty much need to buy Gripen E if you wanna fight any sophisticated opponent.

Should have bought R A F A L E

The Gripen suits Brazil, though. It's a fairly good deal for you.

suits what?to fight against the venezuelans quantum hypersonic aircrafts?you might have a point user.i don't see our leaders thinking about projecting power soon enough,the f-18 did look good enough for our "standards",it might be a good deal to swedenyes.
but a deal is a deal now.

Brazil is a huge country, it would benefit a lot from a longer range platform

Because only one airbase exists in brazil

That's one shitty argument
>it's okay to have shit range, just spread them thin so you never have superiority anywhere

we have 20 airbases here,our country is not rio de janeiro and we wish she didn't exist.

user was being sarcastic

Part of the Gripen sales' pitch is that its supposed to be cheap while still functional enough to keep up with Gen 4 planes

Their target demographic are cunts who barely spend their national shekels on their military or are severely cash strapped and don't want to buy slavshit

The E just prices themselves out of that range and these cunts would rather overstock on jet trainers like the T-50 and M-346

Listen, retards.

Rafale was too expensive to but and operate and the Brazilian air-force wanted to use some of their own missiles and other armaments, which weren't compatible with the Rafale, so to make the conversion it would be more expensive.

The F-18 the US Govt didn't agreed with the full tech transer and would also charge more so it could receive BR weaponry, like Pirannha and MAR-1 missiles.

The Su-35 the air-force didn't wanted to deal with the maintenance of Russian aircraft which are a pain in the ass and at the time the Russian post-sale was fucking horrible and the BR Air-Force had recently suffered with that with their MI-24, which half of it were grounded because of lack of parts from Russia. Which nowadays are fixed, but still, fucked. Also Su-57 is a fucking meme and unecessary for our needs.

The Swedes offered 100% tech transfer, letting Embraer and other companies here build the components for the "BR Version" of the Gripen and they still signed to buy Embraer's new cargo plane and open another research institute in São José dos Campos. Not only the deal is profitable for both sides, it's great for the BR Air-Force and aerospace industry in the long terms.

You niggers need to stop with shit short-sighted vision and start thinking ahead, it's also the reason Brazil is fucked, people don't think ahed, only those "imediatist" mindset, it's fucking annoying.

TL;DR Gripen E is much more profitable for Brazil.

Attached: file.png (800x599, 394K)

This homo knows whats up

Attached: gripen_ms20_2.jpg (640x427, 21K)

Yeah scrapping a CV that was literally never used with a aeronaval force of 12 MIGHTY A-4 Skyhawks.

The Navy spend millions and years and now has a decent naval helicopter force and they used them weekely to make rescue missions in the middle of the Atlantic, the acquisition of the ex-Ocean was a lucky shot that happened in the most appropriate time, because now they regained their hability to make long-range missions without having to go back to land and refuel/reload. Plus the US offered them a few ex-USMC Cobras for them so they can be used of the heli-carrier.

I don't know why are so bitter with their decisions desu. War ain't videogames or Super-Trunfo, they have to do their job with what they have.

>They already said they were
Source?

>tfw no brazilian camo rafale

Attached: wallpapers-rafale-dassault-aircraft.jpg (2560x1440, 379K)

Person who did this not only took the wrong camo, but the wrong livery/decals as well.

Still, Rafale would be too expensive and we would get much less than they will with SAAB.

Regarding the F-16 vs Gripen debate, I guess a major factor would be what you intend to do with the airframe.
A country which just buys a handful of fighters at once, then just maintains them would benefit more from the F-16. Countries like Slovakia and Romania can't really afford MLU, plus the tech is closed by LM.
For countries looking into developping an airforce and an aerospace industry (SA, Brazil), the upgrade potential, and the tech transfer that the Swedes seem to sistematically offer is much more beneficial.