HE replacing automatic gunfire as suppression?

So I've been hearing talk about HE being the new standard of suppression, replacing automatic gunfire. Can someone explain in detail this potential doctrine shift?

At a guess, I'd say you may be able to kill more enemy combatants with HE. But you can't lob HE as far as you can 7.62 or .50 cal. You also can't carry all that much of it. You can load up a guy with 1000 round of 7.62, but how many 40mm can someone be expected to carry? Not to mention cost. HE must cost a lot more than machine gun ammo.

Attached: 1200px-PEO_M320_Grenade_Launcher.jpg (1200x763, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M60_machine_gun
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You heard wrong

How would you suppress somebody with something that has a lower rate of fire than most bolt action rifles?

You still suppress with automatic fire. That's not changing.

If you have a 40mm and your enemy is stupid enough (read:insurgents), two or three hits or near-misses may give them the impression they're getting bracketed with mortar fire and should GTFO. That might count as a form of suppression?

Do you know anything about suppression?

>You can load up a guy with 1000 round of 7.62,
no you can't

Theres always been a guy with a tube for marking/he suppression. The 'doctrine change' would likely be taking the m4/16 away entirely from your designated grenadier and giving him a semi automatic grenade launcher. They exist and the us is revisiting the idea for like the fourth time in response to the chinese using 20mm grenade rifles as suppression

You absolutely can, but he'll be weighed down unless he's physically exceptional and can handle the weight. It's wiser to give other people in the squad some split of the total MG gunner ammunition for a whole list of reasons.

>you can't lob HE as far as 7.62 or .50

What if I told you that you can lob HE farther and more accurately than any bullet ever designed, and we've had this technology since WWI? Lol

Essentialy its a small change. On a platoon level there would be 8 less 'rifleman' replaced by designated grenadiers.
We have the logistics for this to be a smooth change and would beef up our ability to win fire fights on as low as a team (4 guys making up half a squad) level.

Heres the thing, not that guy, but as an infantry team leader i had 200 rounds of our gunners ammo and 8 40mm grenades in my pack. Coupled with 2 claymores and a wealth of other shit. It would just be less gun ammo and more grenades. Ideally in some kind of fucking magazines so theyre not loose and scary.

Sounds like you would have been for the XM25 over a machine gun.

>just strap a 155mm to every grunt
You might actually be dumber than OP.

Are you talking about the marines adopting more machine gun fire and grenadiers? The Army has been doing that for decades. They're just playing catch up with conventional forces.

Confirmed videogame faggot. Sage, hide, report.

I think he wants every soldier to have a 66mm commando mortar.

Edgy boi getting flashbacks to the glory days of the n00btub3.

>he isn't old enough to have read about the XM25 in Popular Mechanics at the library as a child and gotten babies first gun boner, only to become a depressed adult as the program gets canceled

I've seen it happen multiple times.

Fuck 41's.

>Can someone explain in detail this potential doctrine shift

Studies from Afghanistan and Iraq showed that HE suppresses better. And everyone already knows HE kills better too.

GPMGs aren't going away, but there will be more squad level and plt level HE.

Now you're being a dumb sperg. 7.62 is seven pounds per 100 rounds. A gunner might carry 300rnds plus his gun, and his assistant another 500, and their squad leader another 200, but it's all on top of their preexisting load.

"The gunner carries the weapon and, depending on his strength and stamina, anywhere from 200 to 1,000 rounds of ammunition"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M60_machine_gun

Sounds like somebody needs to get Jow Forums.