80 years after the war...

>80 years after the war, my country is still filled with explosive remnants of war and train activity is still getting blocked by them like once every 9 months

How come? Were those shells that unreliable back then or what?

Attached: niewybuch_big.jpg (770x513, 203K)

I don't think you really comprehend just how many artillery shells were fired in world war 2 and world war 1. More shells were fired in those wars in single battles than to date in all of afghanistan or iraq.

even the most reliable gun has a feeding failure if you fire 1000 shots in continuation

Now imagine tha ton the scale of millions of highly complicated manufactured bombs

im not exactly sure what would cause an artillery shell not to explode but what I do know is that between ww1 and 2 billions of shells were fired it makes sense to keep un earthing them under 100 years later

I think it's less of a case of most of them being duds as

>Be innawar
>Artillery position gets overrun
Your emplacements are fucked up
>Suddenly all the spare shells you had are useless because you're dead and the enemy has no use for them.
>Spare shells get left to rust and get reclaimed by nature
>Truck carrying shells gets BTFO and a few of the shells don't blow up and get flung in random directions to be buried by nature
>Private Snuffy and his Sgt go full retard and decide to bury unexploded shells everywhere before evaccing to fuck up the enemy when they overtake the position.
>Enemy doesn't detonate any of them cause Snuffy is a tard and dug his holes too deep

Stuff like that plus a shitload of duds.

Explosive matter get destabilized by age and exposure to the elements. I'd jump up and down on a stick of fresh dynamite without a fuse but once those goods starts crystallizing I'll try to hover past.

As german living in western germany theres been more than 300 bomb defusions since last year only in NRW...

As an german living in eastern germany, there has been a forest fire recently near Groß Laasch, that could only be put out with the help of firefighting tanks (converted T-55s), because the entire forest was filled with WW2 ordnance which the fire set of.
1km exclusion zone for all ground personnel and helicopters had to stay above 500m because of shrapnel.

Have you ever lit fireworks before? Ever have a dud?

Its like that, but with millions more.

Attached: 0AE7DFD5-0811-4BD9-88BC-E14CD50A88B1.jpg (630x829, 159K)

wow that's really gross

im going to save it

how come the muslims have to rent shitty uhaul trucks when they live in a country with free bombs all over the ground? has anyone else wondered this? are arabs just retarded?

>80 years after the war, my country is still filled with explosive remnants of war and train activity is still getting blocked by them like once every 9 months
They are just saying that to clear out the apartments where "the new citizens" are making bombas.

They've found several 75mm shells in a wall in France. It looks like some American tankers cached a couple there.

People in the US are still killed by Civil War era explosives lmao

not quite but I'm not disagreeing it was a lot

The idea of an continuously exploding forest fire amuses me.

Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty fucking metal

Those are stolen tho, would be funny if they stole an excavator to dig a bunch of random holes in hopes of finding a bomb

Attached: 1531364286807.jpg (380x312, 48K)

Proofs, with those numbers there should've been a couple of successes

I was promised an Europe drowning in blood

>I was promised an Europe drowning in blood

I understood the USA was some sort of re-rerun of a civil war in the Congo with the addition of multiple drug cartels and the Italian mafia running new York. Hollywood and that everyone who did not live in an urban area was a dungaree wearing member of the KKK and Hollywood and the media told me so? Oliver stone told me that the CIA killed Kennedy and that Putin was a nice man? Was this all lies?

Nope, sounds pretty spot on.

Israelis actually paid for the hit on Kennedy, it’s in the declassified documents we got recently. Also Hitler was apparently alive and in South America. Look it up. It’s some weird shit.

Do your governments actively try to clear these areas of ordinance, or are they just fenced off?

>Israelis actually paid for the hit on Kennedy, it’s in the declassified documents we got recently.
Post them

evacuation on a big scale

That picture is from Poland, you Jow Forumstard sperg

Any video of this?

that maaaay apply to arty shells, but really not to british or american bombs being found in german cities.

they just launched/dropped a fuckton of those. fucktons of fucktons, to be scientifically accurate. so theres bound to be a fuckton of duds as well.

considering a lot of that stuff was dropped on population centres (especially ww2, think "bomber harris") neither clearing nor fencing really is an option. They can sorta make educated guesses where there might be duds from aerial photographs and stuff (no idea how), but most of the time its construction workers finding one, having an "oh shit" moment, and then calling in the EOD. Those then determine what the UXO actually is - arty shell, 250lbs, or 4000lbs, or anything in between - order an applicable evacuation, and (usually on the next day) set out to defuse it. If its in the countryside they might just do a controlled detonation, but if its a blockbuster sitting in a city block thats not exactly desireable.

Couple of years ago they found a british 4k lbs "cookie" or "air mine" bomb, designed to take out whole streets, just about 100m down the road from where I lived at the time. EOD decided that they needed a 2km evacuation circle "just in case" so they went and evacuated about 20.000 people - obviously including myself. The funniest part was sending videos of random taliban getting 2000lb'ered to a friend of mine who also lived inside the circle. Scared the crap out of her even though her place was on the other side of a hill so the worst that could've happened was some cracked windows.

..has any of these duds in cities accidentally exploded before evacuation?

not that I would recall, but I suppose its possible

Basically a fuze has to explode when it hits the ground after being fired, but not explode when it hits the ground after being dropped. They weren't very sophisticated back then so sometimes they didn't think they'd been fired when they had.

>forest fire but the trees are exploding

Attached: 1418262048499.jpg (205x255, 8K)

Some have. Wikipedia says that there are about 5000 unexploded bombs defused/destroyed each year in Germany. Sadly there's no dedicated article on accidents

>tfw forrest combimgis an extreme sport in some parts of the world.

>be jew in 1940's poland
>germans capture you, murder your family
>become slave laborer in munitions factory
SLAVES - you get what you pay for

>paying
>slaves
not to criticize you, but I think you're doing it wrong

you get what you don't pay for?

When 3.4 million tons of ordanance are dropped in a relatively short 6 year period a fair few might end up being duds.

Well, would you expect all projectiles manufactured in total war conditions with lower overall technology, sometimes with forced labor, to work? Of course there's a shit ton of duds, even if one shell in 10 000 failed to explode, that would still mean that hundreds of thousands of shells, bombs etc remained on the battlefields after the battles of both World Wars.

For example, in Northern France, where I grew up, some woods aren't exploited and are no-go zones for playing kids because they're choke full of unexploded ordinance, and my grandfather, when he went back to his farm after the Algerian War, was given (along with all the other veteran farmers) WW2 era surplus explosives in order to dispose of every piece of ordinance he'd dig up in his fields because the police, gendarmerie, army etc couldn't be arsed to do this.
Even when I was a kid in the 90s, my father would often chop open a rusted to shit 75mm shell with his shovel, dig up the remains of different rifles, ammo etc... There even was a 47mm shell from the 1940 campaign embedded in one of the stones of our house.

>There even was a 47mm shell from the 1940 campaign embedded in one of the stones of our house.

This reminds me. I grew up playing in a literal bomb crater.

No I'm not from the middle east. Ruralish West Germany, in a town that had the misfortune of being in the middle between Cologne (big city) and a gunpowder factory, while also sporting a moderately large railway station (i.e. a whopping 2 (two!) platforms made of actual concrete, and not "some patch of dirt that grows slightly less grass than some others"). This was at the time reason enough to schedule some 20 or so B-25s (from Eight AF I believe) to go and flatten the place. From historic records I know that both times they came in from the west, flying up the river valley.

Now I know bombing was not terribly accurate business back then, but they must have had a stroke of especially bad luck, because they had to come back a couple weeks later. In either one or the other of those raids, someone must've been particularly anxious, because they dropped one 250kg (500lbs) bomb onto a meadow that some 50 years later would become the garden of my parents' house, and which is just about 1.3km (~0.8mi) from the train station and the city centre. Thats... pretty far off, for a low-level raid in VMC.

The owner of the place, when he came home after the war, decided not to fill in that hole. It was, after all, just a 5m (15ft) wide, 2m (6ft) deep hole right in the middle of the pasture. His horses allegedly kinda liked it too, because it would fill with water about halfway, so they didn't have to go down to the riverbank to get a drink.

In the early 90s I build sort of a fort around that hole, with tree branches and stuff. We had some nice "tree wars" in there as kids.
Around 2004 I think, my mother took to gardening and started picking up stones from the garden beds. She started throwing them into the crater, but obviously they grew back, like they always do. The crater is just about filled nowadays.

>not terribly accurate business
on a side note, but more related to the thread: They also managed to hit the town's church, which is about 1km away from the target, and about 400m offset to the side from their inbound track.
Twice.

But obviously since its a catholic curch and those are protected by the hand of god, both of those 500lb-ers were duds and did little more than punch holes through the roof, and slightly scratch the flooring.

Nigger what in the fuck is that

God damn that's pretty fucking messed up.

>just a 5m (15ft) wide, 2m (6ft) deep hole
>Around 2004 I think, my mother took to gardening and started picking up stones from the garden beds. She started throwing them into the crater, but obviously they grew back, like they always do. The crater is just about filled nowadays.

She's tossed in a dozen cubic metres of rocks over the last fourteen years? Sounds like Dutch tulip grower style flower beds.

well there may have been the occasional tree stump mixed in. But yeah, it was some pretty extensive gardening. My parents are very much eco-hippies, self-sufficiency, that kind of stuff. She is growing potatoes, beans, corn, cucumbers, pumpkins, loads of stuff. They were harvesting currant the other week I believe, and are probably now cooking marmelade by the hectolitre.

A school lunch

My condolences, dear user