The BAR

Automatic rifle or Light Machine Gun?

Attached: an-agent-in-training-fires-the-colt-monitor-during-fbi-training-the-monitor-was-an-exceptionally-lig (1090x806, 187K)

Battle rifle, semantically.

Got to shoot a BAR once, basic bitch model, it's hard to not say LMG afterwards, but really it's just a hardcore battle rifle.

By dated definition, automatic rifle, in practical terms, a battle rifle with the weight of a lmg. There is no reason for it to be as heavy as it is

The war would be too easy with it being lightweight. They made it extra heavy to give the Germans and Japs a fighting chance.

In terms of of squad support, I would think that the BAR would just be classified as a squad support weapon. I would call it an LMG.

Auto-rifle filling a SAW role.

America was one of only two countries to employ squad level suppression weapons, and everyone instead wants to compare it to platoon/company level GPMGs like the MG-42.

Yeah dude, but we still fielded .45, which takes your life AND your soul.

Light machine gun trying to be an automatic rifle.

Overclocked battle rifle.

Extra weight was an intentional design, better for clubbing enemies with, imagine the connecting force of that bad boy.

>America was one of only two countries to employ squad level suppression weapons,
no it wasn't and the US basically only had teh BAR while the french had the chauchat, germans had various MGs, and even fucking canadians were running around playing Modern Warfare larping small unit tactics with lewis guns still

>20 round box magazines
>air cooled

>lmg

fuck off

But that's a Monitor

An automatic rifle that was fielded as a single man lmg. It was fine for what it was designed for, IIRC it was designed for walking fire. However, what it was actually used as, not so much.

>low ammo cap
>oddly high ROF considering ammo

There were better weapons, but it got the job done. No more, no less.

Late stage in the war the MG42 would be issued at squad level to the Germans, prior to this the MG34 was used. Not only this but the British also employed the Bren and the Russians with the dinnerplate.

Attached: a588774300233a7ebfade33affdd8e82.jpg (2388x1098, 560K)

>browning AUTOMATIC RIFLE

Attached: 1517446942348.jpg (285x249, 9K)

People were stronger back then, nowadays lanky twinks start crying when they have to carry something heavier than a basic bitch 14 inch AR-15.

>What is the Madsen
>What is the Bren
>What is the Type 99

Attached: 1530832778909.jpg (850x680, 78K)

Attached: 1531322034367.jpg (1400x610, 354K)

Heavy Infantry Weapon
-or-
Heavy Infantry Assault Rifle

Only tangentially on topic, but most people just assume from movies n shit that Bonnie and Clyde were killed by a bunch of G-men in an ambush with Thompsons. What really happened is that they were killed by a bunch of G-men with fucking BARs, baby.

Can you imagine what that must have been like going down?

This Is What Americans Actually Believe.

No, people carried far less overall and just had no alternative anyway.

This is what America haters actually believe

I heard one of the weapons was a Remington Model 8 with a 20 round mag.

probably exactly the same since it's basically "the military came and reduced them to swiss cheese" either way

just another JMB's retarded designs.

No, I've got to believe that a few hundred rounds of .30-06 ripping into a pair of mouth breathing hayseeds in a slow moving Model A would make a more impressive spectacle than that Faye Dunaway shit

Piece of shit

I can see the vision Jow Forumsomrade, it is certainly a wild one.

>squad level suppression weapons
If I had to nail the BAR down, that's about how I would describe it. From what I've read on Iwo Jima it was used for this exact purpose, even in suppressing the enemy so flamethrowers could move up. So to be fair I would say more of a SAW than an LMG, and I think it only really becomes an "automatic rifle" as a Monitor by today's standards/meaning of the term.

I think 20 round mags disqualifies it as a true light machine gun.

Considering in the jungle most fighting is close, wouldn't a SMG be better for suppressive fire? You can carry more ammo and move quickly

On Iwo what jungle it had was mainly destroyed by days of bombing beforehand. And to be fair, just because they used the BAR for suppressive fire on Iwo quite frequently doesn't mean it was anywhere near to the best solution for that, it's just what they had. Twenty round magazines is already a bad enough start much less the weight.

Interestingly though, something I've also read about was that after jungle warfare on Guadalcanal, the BAR frequently replaced the Thompson as the pointman's weapon on jungle patrols. The reason for this was simply because the Thompson's .45 ACP wasn't capable of penetrating small trees and thick foliage reliably when used in this role, compromising the rest of the patrol if many of the pointman's rounds were ineffectual. The 30-06 was significantly better for this as I'm sure anyone can imagine.

To be honest though the BAR being shoe horned into a pointman's weapon in the jungle was again a case of what was on hand and being used, not because it was the best for the job. A rifle as large and heavy as the BAR I can imagine wouldn't be any pointman's preferred weapon if other types are considered. An SMG would probably be the best for that role, but the Thompson specifically just wasn't a good match for fending off surprise jungle attacks, it was better for use in more open environments.

I think honestly that's the story of the BAR in its service life beyond WW1, it was the master of being shoe horned into roles not because it was the best solution by any stretch but because it was on hand and reliable.

There's a number of LMGs with stack mags. Beside the BAR there's that czech thing, the Bren, the Japanese LMG, and hahaha the Chauchat.

Makes sense. I imagine that contributed to the call for the M1 carbine to automatic.

But Bren also had 30 and 100 round magazines

Apparently there were 40 round magazines for the BAR at one point but they were withdrawn, which probably means there were design issues.

early automatic rifle shoehorned into machine gun role.

kinda hot

Original variant with the select fire modes would be a battle rifle, later versions... automatic rifle is about the only accurate description.

If it is not belt fed and doesn't have a quick change barrel its not a machine gun.

it was for anti aircraft

Attached: bar.jpg (610x480, 42K)

>Yeah dude, but we still fielded .45, which takes your life AND your soul.
Wrong, you're thinking of 10mm

Machine Rifle

It wasn't intentional, but would the extra wight make it easier to control its recoil?
Ive never even touched a machine gun.

Ive never seen a BAR with a magazine that big

you like it big, uh

>full size .30-06
>LIGHT machine gun

shit b8

Battle rifle.

In a steaming pile of shit sort of way yeah.

It's WWI tech, what do you want?

Pretty sure back then, infantry wasn’t carrying 450 lbs of shit + their weapon

Well, its called the automatic rifle.....

A hell of a shotgun

well see that's because Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty were just covered with a bunch of ketchup squibs instead of doing it the Stanley Kubrick way and actually being killed by hundreds of real bullets
.45 or .30-06, their bodies wouldn't be suitable to show on film no matter what
same deal with Sonny in the Godfather, that many .45s, especially with how many hit his head, you probably wouldn't even be able to recognize the corpse as human