Red dot on pistol thread

Considering getting one. How many of you bought one and had zero regrets? Is the "cant find the dot" thing over exaggerated regarding pistols with no co-witness? Did you get as fast as with irons, and in how much time? Is it undoubtedly more fun? ?????????????????????

Attached: opplanet-c-more-rts2r-rdsgt-black-3-moa-rts2rb-3-main.jpg (978x550, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vtT4dd392wI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here you go bro. This is probably the best pro/con breakdown I have seen:

youtube.com/watch?v=vtT4dd392wI

TL:DW It's worth it if you are willing to train your presentation to an instinctual level.

Yeah i've seen that one. Just looking for some additional insight from people who cant easily shell out 300$ but did anyway.

I was going to buy a range toy as my next piece but I've changed my mind and decided to go full ham on a G19MOS and a Trijicon RMR. I EDC a G19 Gen4 now. So I'll have a valid opinion sometime after the start of the new year.

>train your presentation to an instinctual level.
Or just line up your cowitnessed irons first, then transition to the dot.
PS who's hyped for the Aimpoint ACRO? I think it has a good shot at being the One True Handgun Red Dot that doesn't have a glaring flaw.

Attached: Aimpoint-ACRO-P1-1_open.jpg (2000x1300, 234K)

When is it coming out, and how much will it cost?

Attached: 200504_Aimpoint_Acro_P-1_IMG_7795_1600x1180px_150dpi[1].jpg (1600x1180, 148K)

Hunting for the dot is a problem.
For carry you really want it to be co-witnessed. It helps find the dot and gives you a backup.
Dots are amazing and we will see more and more people, including cops, carrying them. Houston recently changed policy that non-SWAT cops can carry dots now, too. They are the first very large agency to make the change and I do not think it will be the last.

Attached: AF4C2EFD-0826-41E8-9697-CCBC90CA8ADB.jpg (4032x3024, 3.73M)

If you're trying to line up sights plus a dot you're basically trying to coincide three points instead of 2

Longtime use of red dots on my ARs has made me a fish out of water with iron sights.

I don't have any optics for my handguns because I'm afraid it will make me dependent and I don't want my carry pistol skills to degrade a single bit. Maybe my theory is totally unfounded in reality though.

Does anyone else feel the same?

t. Never shot a dot pistol
The irons aren’t aimed with they are used to guide the dot into view.

I have 2 pistols with dots on them, one wont cowitness but the other does.

Never had a problem finding the dot, if you do it's an issue of grip/stance you should be correcting anyway.

Took me about a week to get faster than irons, and was more precise from day 1, but I have a LOT of experience.

Can't comment on whether they're more fun or not.

Nobody knows; it was only announced last month.

How are you supposed to screw this thing on to the slide when it's a big box? I don't see screw holes on top.

Not how that works. The dot will be visible even before the sight are lined up, for that matter if the dot is zeroed you could completely ignore its existence and just line up the sights and by necessity this will have lined up the dot.

looks like an integrated, ultra-low-profile rail grabber

Just get a duplicate carry gun without a dot and alternate which one you take to the range.

Attached: Roland-600x453.jpg (600x453, 49K)

My dad is pretty farsighted in his 70s and it makes lining up traditional iron sights on a handgun difficult. We hooked him up with red dots on his glocks, just a Burris fastfire (gen II and III I think) and they work pretty damn well, at least for range use but I would trust them in a HD situation too, provided you can remember to turn the damn thing on. Haven't really had to re-zero them, even when they've gotten dropped or whatever.

I have also used an RMR, not on a pistol but on top of an ACOG on a rifle, and it is very easy to acquire targets with. Great for speed running gongs. If I were serious about putting a red dot on a pistol I'd have a dedicated slide milled for an RMR mount.

>provided you can remember to turn the damn thing on
just leave it running at a usable brightness setting all the time and change the battery regularly

>Is the "cant find the dot" thing over exaggerated regarding pistols with no co-witness?
There is a definitely a learning curve. Over exaggerated? Prolly, its not THAT hard.

Attached: 227 dp pro.jpg (2688x1520, 1.15M)

Thanks for info. My hope is to avoid all the co witness stuff and just have the dot, and to attempt to combat the hunting problem by simply having a large window. The C-MORE RTS2 in my OP pic for example is a 26mm glass with just the bottom flattened out so it has about 22mm left vertically compared to the usual 16 on most other dots or even less on RMR. And i guess presentation practice is free....... I will probably buy a pos 15$ Chinese knock off, and when it dies at shot no 300, i will know weather i like it more or not.

>aimpoint
>asking how much
You can’t afford it.

Yeah some predictions are 700$, and i cant pay that much.

Isn't it an old rule of thumb that you should always spend more on your glass than on the gun it's attached to?

Just buy a used Micro when all the ultralight AR guys sell theirs to put ACROs on their carbines instead.

Attached: Glock_T1_ATOM_UnityTactical_G17_small.jpg (500x500, 59K)

>old rule of thumb
>old
Exactly; it's a rule of thumb from the days when anything from china was probably complete trash, and "holds up fine on my .22" at best.
Today, there's literally nothing wrong with a

This. I actually prefer my Vortex microdot to my Trij RMR.

The rule of thumb is to spend 50% of the gun on the optic.

That's hideous

Mainly that rule was in regards to magnified optics anyway. And nowadays there are decent Chinamen scopes or there. Back in the day, the top of the line scope had poor glass compared to a random $500 scope of today. Not to say there isn't gains to be had as far as repeatable clicks, even better light transmission and clarity by buying a more expensive scope.

What fatal flaw does the rmr have? I jave one on my vector and love it.

jesus christ

The window is really aggressively tinted and you have to take it off the gun to change the battery.

No reason to get an entire duplicate gun, just get a spare slide. It should only take somebody familiar with how to field strip their gun a few seconds to swap slides.

wait a few months for the inevitable chinkshit knockoffs

But with a dupe you also have the benefit of having a backup in case your primary breaks or gets stuck in an evidence locker forever.

I've shot a few rounds with my friends and couldn't find the dot worth a shit. I'm sure it would get better if I got more familiar with it but I did not like it very much.

This. Also, its a tiny window and an open diode. So a small objects or rain drops landing in that spot will kill your dot.

This has to be a joke

Congratulations. Ugliest pistol i've seen on Jow Forums all year.

Liar.
The vortex micro dots have shit ass battery life. It’s only like a month of run time if you daily carry it. They suck in comparison.

Attached: D36D7BB0-9DCE-4230-A41F-2C942C5F07BC.jpg (4032x1835, 3.75M)

so replace the battery once a month, or every two weeks, or whatever; bfd.

If you're going to go that route, just practice with the dot off sometimes.

>replace battery and re-zero once a month
Or
>buy a not POS optic and do that once a year or once every two years
Hmm
Big think.

what makes you say that

I just bought a S&W SW22 Victory .22 pistol last weekend and put a Vortex Venom 3 moa red dot on it. Haven't had a chance to shoot it with the red dot yet, but practicing drawing it around the house I can see where you would definitely want to put it some time training to get proficient at finding the dot. If I were to jump straight into a competition with it right now I would be fucked and spend a lot of time wiggling the gun around to get the dot in the window.

How do you like having the T1 on the ALG mount? I'm waiting for them to restock so I can nab one for my 17.

yeah and the old rule of them is that you can't hunt with assault weapons and .22 will bounce around and turn everything to mush

it's fucking retarded

It’s a PA dot but it’s a good setup. Slide mounted is better for carry. 6SM is best with a stock.

Attached: EA8401CE-4566-4A7E-A10C-DF8EF237F6B5.jpg (3737x2478, 2.76M)

I was going to put a PA or Holosun on it as well. Wanted to stick a light and a comp on mine to make it a fun gun at the range build, nothing serious. Maybe OWB whenever I feel like I want to.

Thanks.

>better reticle
>don't have to remove the optic to replace the battery
I don't see a problem. RMR is the one that lsoes zero when you replace the battery.

>wiggling the gun around to get the dot in the window.
It's not gonna help you get better at proper presentation, but if anyone wants a trick to find the dot when borrowing a pistol...
>present muzzle-high
>center front sight in red-dot window
>lower muzzle
>a wild dot appears!

Losing the dot can be a problem. If you shoot ONE gun all the time, "can't find the dot" won't be a problem, but if you have lots of guns and shoot them all interchangeably then the possibility rises.

It's probably exaggerated but I wouldn't put a dot on a carry gun that wasn't also my main gun which I shoot all the time, or risk conflicting muscle memory or something. imo. Also optic lenses can collect dust, get covered in blood or rain and become useless, fill with mud, crack or run out of batteries or even shift zero (never heard of it but why couldn't it?).

Dots are fun at the range, they let you clearly see where your shot is breaking so you can correct yourself, they're very fast to put on target (for me anyway, who can barely see through irons) and I could see it being a help in competition. Dots are REALLY fun on .22s because they don't move.

I think the most important thing is to have a thin optic mounted as low as possible. RMRs and Shield RMSs are the lowest by far, most of the other dot housings are quite tall. Taller even than super tall suppressor sights even, that could be a problem if you want to use irons, want to co-witness, or want to have a backup for the dot.

Also not every gun can be milled for a dot, a lot of firing pin block safety mechanisms are high up in the slide and can't be milled into. CZs and Berettas for example, but there are more guns you can't mill for a dot than there are guns you can.

tl;dr Give it a try why not. I wouldn't recommend carrying one though.

Attached: opties.jpg (1333x2000, 784K)

>I wouldn't put a dot on a carry gun that wasn't also my main gun which I shoot all the time
If your carry gun or a duplicate thereof isn't one of your main guns that you shoot all the time you're doing something seriously wrong.

Well the plan is to put it on a CZ Shadow that doesn't have a FPB, maybe even frame mount it, and it would be my one gun for range toy, comp, and home defense. If i got a second gun it would be a tiny pocket pistol that wouldn't be a pocket pistol any more if i put a dot on it.

Attached: 1463505901981.jpg (450x450, 69K)

>a tiny pocket pistol that wouldn't be a pocket pistol any more if i put a dot on it
get a seecamp and have the slide milled for an aimpoint micro

I have a 19 MOS with Trijicon. You'll need suppressor size irons too (get the trijis). It's cool and all but I wouldn't do a second gun with one. It's a good combat weapon buy too big for carry IMO.

Fun to ding steel with real fast and doesn't take too much practice.

lol wtf

Shut up noguns.

Anyone know any options for mounting something on a USP without custom work?

Shut up noguns.

Attached: IMG_0379.jpg (1920x1440, 450K)