1860s: Invention of lever-action rifle
1880s: Invention of the bolt-action rifle
1880s: Invention of the machine gun and thus autoloading firearms
1890s: Invention of the semi-automatic pistol
1900s: Invention of the semi-automatic rifle and shotgun
1910s: Invention of the submachine gun
1940s: Invention of the assault rifle
1970s: Invention of the wonder nine

What has been invented since that has been truly revolutionary? Making everything polymer with rails doesn't count.
1950s: Invention of the battle rifle

Attached: ye shall kill nazis and gooks.jpg (1146x1312, 840K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreyse_needle_gun
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reliable electronic optics. Red dots, specifically.

This, reliable mass issue optics are a big deal now.

Pretty much uses technology similar to WW2 bombs sights right?

>2018
>small arms
>revolutionary

This and precision rifles your average “sniper rifle” now isn’t just an infantry issue rifle with a scope and a bent bolt from the factory or a reworked hunting rifle

Rail guns and electronic ignition systems come to mind, although they are in their infancy.

The first crew served MG was adopted for military service in 1863. The first shoulder fired, select fire weapon was invented in 1890 and is the first assault rifle by most definitions (select fire intermediate caliber shoulder fired rifle).

>INVENTION OF CAPSLOCK
DEFINITELY MY FAVORITE

Good barrels in WW2 were like 5 MOA, so that's improved a whole lot.

But the gattling gun was devastating confederates in 1860s yo retarded faggot

WW2 fighters had holographic sights just like an EOTech

What Said

Being able to see your enemy clearly is crucial in engagements. Mass issue of durable red dots with long lasting batteries and durable 3x-4x optics like the ELCAN and ACOG have significantly improved rifle performance.

The real winners in arms development right now are more efficient manufacturing techniques for guns and ammunition. Being able to shit out ammunition and weapons that are consistent with their specifications is key.

>1980s

if you dont think pic related and its type isnt revolutionary then youre a dumbass

Attached: glock 17.jpg (2304x1536, 581K)

>satan likes crude firearms that throw large hunks of lead at people
Checks out

>the joke

those were around since the Dragunov.

DMR = sniper ?

He already said wonder 9 which would generally refer to steel frames but could include glocks as well. Maybe if you read a bit farther in instead of sperging out and calling everyone a dumbass.

These days, the innovations are coming from materials being used, the manufacturing techniques that have been put into mass-production, and the balancing and tweaking of recoil and cycling systems, as well as improvements on ammunition. Today's 9mm is far more powerful than the original loads devised a century ago, and our guns function in ways that they were not expected to when they were initially produced (think AR15 and AK platforms in particular).

>Making everything polymer with rails doesn't count.

Yes it does. A polymer frame costs about $15 to produce once you have the equipment necessary to do so, which brings the unit cost of every gun down by about 30% compared to a steel framed gun. For furniture, polymer doesn't warp or crack like wood, which makes it easy to take care of.

Putting rails on everything makes it easy and simple for the average fudd to actually hit what he's aiming at, because he can slap an optic on it without tapping the receiver, playing with shims, and all of that other nonsense. If you don't understand why cheaper guns that are easy to aim are a benefit to the average person, you're a retarded faggot.

Attached: ass band.jpg (500x321, 108K)

There were only a handful fielded you yankeefag. You'd have better luck mentioning the Henry.

It was the first purpose-built sniper and/or DMR.

The SVD was a DMR by design and doesn't cut it when it comes to actual precision

The first mass produced bolt action rifle was the Dreyse Needle Rifle from 1841. OP is retarded.

>2-3 MOA without the speshul snowflake ammo
>precision

Tippity toppity kek.

>1950's: Wondernine
>Browning Hi-Power in the 30's

I mean...

polymer pistols is still a huge leap forward. Notice how everyone and their grandma makes one now, while original wonder nines like pic related are considered classics?

Attached: smith and wesson 59.jpg (1516x1200, 208K)

hand held ballistic calc
thermal scope
nv scope
laser range finder
precision anti-material rifles
bullpup

>polymer pistols is still a huge leap forward
nah

>not knowing what a wonder nine is
>I mean

Hand-cranked, multi-barreled repeater =/= automatic weapon.

You're wrong, but we forgive you.

Detachable magazine

Yet they are the new standard

What's a wonder nine?

double-stack high cap 9mm with a double-action trigger so as to be revolver like.

Most of your dates are wrong. Not when they were invented but when they came in regular use.

2000ish: more "modular" rifles and pistols
i.e. with an upper swap (and sometimes mags) your 223 AR/M4 can now be a completely different caliber, anywhere from .22lr to 9mm to .50 beowulf
and we're starting to see the same thing for handguns, sig p320 and p250 comes to mind but i'm sure there are others.

Sig P226, CZ 75, Beretta 92.
Essentially all the same gun at a surface level of functionality,.

No.
Sure they're the new standard.
Sure everyone makes them now.
Sure they're an big improvement.
But that's all they are, an improvement.
OP's list is a list of new capabilities introduced to the firearms world. Poly framed pistols do nothing more than semi-auto pistols from the early 20th century do, they just do it differently.

Attached: Oicw_2.jpg (1200x918, 250K)

Battle rifles were really invented with the Garand and wonder nines were really invented with the HiPower desu

Adding Insult to injury, glock was neither the first striker fired, nor the first polymer framed pistol.

Not to mention more significant advances that happened in between those dates. The advent of cartridges or adoption of smokeless powder massively altered the momentum of firearms design. IMO once the technology matures I think caseless ammo will be one of the major advances in the near future.

I am extremely skeptical of caseless ammo. I just don't see how the chamber can be kept clean. With cased ammunition you get to eject the combustion chamber each time. Look inside a spent casing and it is filthy in there. I just don't believe they can make a caseless propellant that burns so clean that after 300 rounds the chamber it won't have issues feeding ammo. Making the outside of the cartridge waterproof and durable also seems challenging. Nobody wants ammo you have to treat like it is an egg.

the durability of the outside does not seem like an issue at all to me.

>ok, you can copy my homework, just change it up a bit so it's no so obvious

Attached: Crossfire%20MK1[1].jpg (750x253, 20K)

>OP's list is a list of new capabilities introduced to the firearms world

>being too dumb to recognize how incremental improvement works

read the list, retard. you're trying to compare lightening a pistol by a few ounces to the literal invention of semi-automatics

lmaoing @ ur life.

Bullpups have been around since WWI

>OP's list is a list of new capabilities introduced to the firearms world
The very first one, the caplock, is simply an evolution of the flintlock, which was an evolution of the matchlock. The core concept is the same though, some fire goes through a tiny hole to ignite the main charge. Half the list isn't actually new shit, it's just a progression of old shit, or old shit repurposed in new ways.

>Invention of bolt action
>1880

That's nice.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreyse_needle_gun