Tell me about the CV-90, what's so special about it?

Tell me about the CV-90, what's so special about it?

Attached: 022wXWWQUpW4.jpg (891x617, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ndZmqzT2nxs
youtu.be/l-my8CGGazo?t=2m24s
youtu.be/HAsR7m1wXM0
youtube.com/watch?v=4ERqtID2EMg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it doesn't have a major flaw. which is - for some reason - pretty rare in the world of tracked fighting vehicles.

It's really maneuverable and overall practical in every way. The 40mm version It has impressive performance with APFSDS for an autocannon in the infantry support role, and can fire programmable shells in the AA configuration as shown in your picture. The downside is it can't carry a lot of ammo.

It should/would have been upgraded with external ATGM's provided there was money for it. On the modern battlefield it would also need some sort of hard-kill active protection to survive.

Not a whole lot, actually. The versions Sweden uses were surprisingly barebones when introduced, but since it's gotten upgrades it's like basically every other western IFV.

No glaring flaws, pretty aesthetic, relatively low profile, very modifiable judging by how many variants they keep pumping out for it

They used plenty of common sense in designing it, like everyone else already has said it doesn't have major design flaws. Unlike Bradley has for example. At least non-Swedish versions, Swedes used good old 40mm Bofors as cost cutting measure.

Nothing. It's so generic an armoured vehicle that armoured vehicle is the only title that adequately describes it.

It's the best IFV with regards to mobility, firepower and armor

Pretty much unstoppable in Scandinavian terrain, which makes sense. Really flows on snow/boggy terrain

They absolutely murder other troop carriers and infantry fire support in Wargame: Red Dragon

cupholders and a cigarette lighter.

This it isn't even fair

Whish it had a coax though

They are glorious to have a few of when some faggot tries to do a T34 rush or similar. the carnage is unreal.

youtube.com/watch?v=ndZmqzT2nxs

On arctic woodland swamps both CV-90 and AMV (8-wheeled) will simply go ahead and fight.
Tried and tested over and over again.

There was an active decision to skip the ATGMs on it for Swedish vehicles as it was decided that those ATGMs would be of better use if they were given to infantery units.

The CV90 companies was allredy supported by two companies of Leopard 2A4 or 2A5S per battalion.

I like that promo video where it shoots a T-34 and the narrator says it's a MBT.

youtu.be/l-my8CGGazo?t=2m24s

But other than that I consider it superior to the Bradley.

The CV90 has outstanding mobility in mud and snow, tests showed that it greatly outpreformed Bradleys, BMPs and Warriors.

youtu.be/HAsR7m1wXM0

That combined with its low profile and wide customization options regarding roles and armament just made it popular.

Cutest variant comming

Yeah, I dont know what they were thinking there...

Attached: cv90120-t.jpg (600x400, 44K)

That's what support units are for. Though I do agree it doesn't make much sense

I love videos like that

I want this gun on it

Attached: 40mm-cta.jpg (1120x492, 118K)

what kind of ammo is that? never seen that before

Cased telescoped ammunition.

Think of it as the LSATs big brother.

Telescopic 40mm ammunition.

youtube.com/watch?v=4ERqtID2EMg

Holy shit his accent is fucking awful

Arctic is scary. heh.

The British army are putting them on the new upgraded warrior IFV's plus the new Ajax family of vehicles.

Attached: CTA-40mm.jpg (1060x800, 101K)

Attached: 40mmCTASinfographi.jpg (2000x1414, 1.4M)

what does it do what regular doesnt? lighter? cheaper?

uses less space

Allows you to carry more ammo, as the case is lighter and smaller, also the gun itself is smaller than other guns and can train itself to high elevation for AA fire.

Yes it is. A nice country suddenly turns into a white hell, once a year, for months at the time. It's called a Winter.

And that's not all. Nordics have Four Seasons. You will have it hard before you freeze, when you freeze and finally when you melt (partially).

it allows you to have a bigger explosive payload in the same diameter of round. It also shortens the length of the round, allowing the vehicle to save internal space.

The key benefit though is the smart progamable munitions as this is replacing plain old 30mm RARDEN with APFSDS or HE.

That is some serious piece of gear right there, the same firepower as the L/70 but in a smaller package and ammunition taking less than 1/3 of the one used in the L/70.
Looks expensive though which is a major hurdle for adoption in the CV9040, the reason they jammed an L/70 in there in the first place was that there was an abundance of those cannons left all over the place.
That is also why the CV90 AMOS was abandoned in favor of Mjolnir which is little more than 40's tech on a CV90 hull.

Wait, is that the same mechanism as on the G11 uses to feed ammo?

Yes, but less autistic and not gas operated

Its penetrative capabilities is far less then the 40mm L70 tho.

A CT40 APFSDS-T can penetrate 140mm of RHA, while the latest L70 APFSDS-T can do over 200mm at the same distance.

Is that a plume on the IFV? Like the plumes often seen on a Roman centurions helmet?

Attached: 1531661187356.jpg (891x617, 172K)

Some dumbass janitor forgot his brush.

Its to remove dirt/mud from under your shoes when you are walking ontop of it so that you are less liekly to slip.

Or thats at least my highly unscientifical guess.

I love the mobility, it surprises me every few months when driving over terrain I never thought possible. It doesn't give a shit if it's fluffy snow or deep mud, it goes where ever you drive.
The 40mm is almost flawless, only downside is the fact that the whole process of getting the gun ready at the start of the day is all mechanical, takes way to much time.
I don't have any experience with the later models (MkI-IV), but even the older models that the SAF uses are a threat to modern APCs and IFVs

Attached: 33944138_2042136036113334_2325773521482940416_o.jpg (1024x683, 170K)

You should take those armour penetration values with a big pinch of salt

The most important question right now is what unit you serve in?

I used to be inna-army before I switched back to the chairforce.

Attached: received_1668071326580019.jpg (899x634, 87K)

My dad used to work in the factory producing them a while back.

Something something Nintendo

lmao won't give you my exact unit but 42. battalion, mechanized as a commander

CT40 is "more than" 140, it's already shown it can do at least 150mm, at over 1.5km. Its exact top limit is completely unknown.

The L70s numbers are equally fuzzy. But the big change is that the CT40 can also hold 70-100 rounds ready, the L70 has a 24 round ready that need manually reloaded.

Most significantly it's a 40mm gun with the turret space requirements of a 30mm gun.

On the other hand, the L/70 is basically the same gun that blasted nips at Midway whereas the CT40 is some newfangled doodad. Another WWII related tidbit about the CV90 is that it uses a M1919 Browning as a coaxial.

Grandpa go home

Thats only the swedish ones, i think.

as an ex-M3 crewman, I would love to get my hands on one

>L/70 is basically the same gun that blasted nips at Midway
Nah mate, that's the L/60. The L/70 just looks kinda similar, but is a whole new gun with different ammo.

Other than a slightly larger ammo and longer barrel, what did they change?

Yeah, I think the 40mm is better than the 30mm

How can a IFV which lacks a ATGM be best in firepower?